EA Responds to Bad Company Weapons Charge

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for liljfreestylepr
liljfreestylepr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 liljfreestylepr
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts
Remember the brouhaha last week about the discovery that Electronic Arts may sell additional weapons in their upcoming shooter Battlefield: Bad Company?

Electronic Arts today got back to us with their take on the whole situation. In a nutshell, yes, they will be selling some weapons through microtransactions when the game comes out. But EA says that you can get those weapons for free if you buy the Gold Edition. They also say they will have plenty of other weapons they're giving away during promotions leading up to the launch.

Here's their official take:

Hey Brian,

Per our conversation, Battlefield: Bad Company features numerous weapons in the core game. In addition to the core set of weapons, Battlefield: Bad Company will release five unique weapons free of charge through five different promotional programs prior to launch. EA will again make these weapons available to players free of charge after launch, in case anyone missed the pre-launch promotions.

At launch, EA will release a Gold Edition of Battlefield: Bad Company which will feature an additional five new weapons. For players who do not purchase the Gold Edition of the game, they can still buy the five weapons at a small individualized price per item. All weapons are balanced for gameplay. More weapons offer players more choices but do not create an advantage/disadvantage for players who do not opt to buy new items.

Currently, the menu in the Battlefield: Bad Company beta notes all ten weapons; the five available free of charge pre-launch as well as the additional five available in the Gold Edition.

We will have more details on the pre-launch campaign and Gold Edition of Battlefield: Bad Company in the next few weeks.

While this makes it slightly less onorous than we initially thought, I still have to agree with Fahey on this. Making gamers pay extra for something that is essentially core to the game seems wrong. I realize they say the weapons are all balanced, but the fact is having a wider selection of weapons to choose from can be a tremendous advantage in a game. What worries me more is where this is all headed. I can't help but think that this is just EA testing the waters.

http://kotaku.com/371407/ea-responds-to-bad-company-weapons-charge

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts
Milkage :o
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
I hate EA. It's only a matter of time until you'll buy a Madden or NCAA football game and have to purchase the football as a microtransaction.
liljfreestylepr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 liljfreestylepr

I hate EA. It's only a matter of time until you'll buy a Madden or NCAA football game and have to purchase the football as a microtransaction. Eddie5vs1

LOL i hope so and i will also buy off a ref to win every game

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Relys
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts
I still hate you EA.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

I hate EA. It's only a matter of time until you'll buy a Madden or NCAA football game and have to purchase the football as a microtransaction. Eddie5vs1
Forget that, you probably have to buy the field first! :D

Audiences are $1 per hundred.

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Eddie5vs1

[QUOTE="Eddie5vs1"]I hate EA. It's only a matter of time until you'll buy a Madden or NCAA football game and have to purchase the football as a microtransaction. liljfreestylepr

LOL i hope so and i will alos buy off a ref to win every game

good god, please delete your post. we don't need EA getting any ideas. Could you imagine though. You're playing someone online, winning by 4 touchdowns. You see your opponent go to the ref and money is exchanged at which point you quarterback leaves the game for unsportsman like conduct. Again, god I hate EA.

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Eddie5vs1

[QUOTE="Eddie5vs1"]I hate EA. It's only a matter of time until you'll buy a Madden or NCAA football game and have to purchase the football as a microtransaction. yoshi_64

What the hell do you mean it's 40 MS points to call a time out!?!? :)

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 yoshi_64

Also hearing this from EA, I'm going to say... that not every weapon will be balanced. Sure, everyone likes you to think that, but in most situations... there's on weapon that does it all... namely a scoped equipped gun with a large magazine of ammunition.

Sure the other weapons in Halo are fun, but the BR is the best for any situation guarantee, if you know how to use it. Only other weapon you'd need is a close range gun like a shotty or sword. Or sniper if you like that stuff...

My bet is, there will be a gun dominating the field, and should it be in the "Gold" edition, it's going to suck big ones.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 yoshi_64
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]

[QUOTE="Eddie5vs1"]I hate EA. It's only a matter of time until you'll buy a Madden or NCAA football game and have to purchase the football as a microtransaction. Eddie5vs1

What the hell do you mean it's 40 MS points to call a time out!?!? :)

Oh yeah, that half-time show? A couple hundred MS points. :) Let's not forget though, for shooters... you want ammo, you're going to have to cough up some money. :D

20 MS points for a magazine for your pistol, 100 for the sniper, and say you want the ability to throw your gun when it's out of bullets? That's an extra 50 MS points for the animation. :P

liljfreestylepr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 liljfreestylepr

listen EA how about online season mode when off season comes people can use real money to bid on players and sign them with real money

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
So I guess I'll be playing with a pistol while mostly everyone else will be using Rocket Launchers and Portable Nukes or something :lol:
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eddie5vs1

So I guess I'll be playing with a pistol while mostly everyone else will be using Rocket Launchers and Portable Nukes or something :lol:Blackbond

I'll have to use the melee I'm so poor. :(

j/k, but it is getting ridiculous.

tiger35010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tiger35010
Member since 2004 • 859 Posts
how much more is the gold edition...?
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Eddie5vs1

how much more is the gold edition...? tiger35010

probably around $70 to $80. Unless you want to play the game, then you have to pay 100 MS points to load the game. ;)

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

More choices = advantage.

I like microtransactions for updating games that have grown stale. But microtransactions at launch is ridiculous milkage.

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Eddie5vs1

I like microtransactions for updating games that have grown stale. But microtransactions at launch is ridiculous milkage.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

To some extent I don't mind microtransaction as giving a gamer choice. My problem is that developers and publishers are with holding content from the game just to milk us gamers later.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts
[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

Eddie5vs1

To some extent I don't mind microtransaction as giving a gamer choice. My problem is that developers and publishers are with holding content from the game just to milk us gamers later.

Usually, that's just a suspicion. Here, it's blatantly obvious. Not cool. :(

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

Right when I though EA toned down their old ways, they do this.

I guess its back to me hating EA.

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Milkage :of50p90

I bet MG4 has a special edition that has content that the regular version doesn't. Do you call that Milkage too. :|

redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts

We can't pass judgement yet.

"Battlefield: Bad Company will release five unique weapons free of charge through five different promotional programs prior to launch."

And that is why.

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eddie5vs1

[QUOTE="f50p90"]Milkage :oPS3_3DO

I bet MG4 has a special edition that has content that the regular version doesn't. Do you call that Milkage too. :|

Sorry, but IMO, that isn't the same.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Next we'll have to pay for balance patches in CnC3. :lol:
redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
[QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

[QUOTE="f50p90"]Milkage :oEddie5vs1

If you preodered Ace combat 6 you got two free planes not available anywhere else.

All EA is doing is this but offering the same things through microtransaction.

liljfreestylepr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 liljfreestylepr
[QUOTE="Eddie5vs1"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

[QUOTE="f50p90"]Milkage :oredstormrisen

If you preodered Ace combat 6 you got two free planes not available anywhere else.

All EA is doing is this but offering the same things through microtransaction.

u got pay for the pin in ur grenade other wise it blow up when u respawn

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Aren't special editions supposed to have additional game content? I purchased Jade Empire LE and it had a totally different character class available. I'm not seeing what the big deal is. I think its more of a, "I hate EA. The special edition is a special edition?!!?!? Damn you EA!! More shananigans soaked in tomfoolery. If I pay $10 more for a game I should get nothing extra in return! EA is satan for this one."
jhonnyboi1134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jhonnyboi1134
Member since 2004 • 1263 Posts
F EA the greedy ********. that aint it right charging for that stuff.