EA releasing FIFA 15 on Wii and 3DS, skipping Wii U

• 63 results
#1 Posted by Kjranu (1283 posts) -

What do you make of this?

EA’s annual release cycle for its sports properties is underway, with the publishing giant confirming that FIFA 15 is heading to every home platform except the Wii U. The upcoming title’s lead platforms are the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4, while versions of the game will still be produced for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii and the Nintendo 3DS and Vita.

It’s disappointing to see the Wii U being left out of the mix, but given the poor sales of FIFA 13 on the Wii U, EA’s decision is understandable, if not laudable.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/06/fifa-14-skipping-wii-u/

#2 Posted by locopatho (20986 posts) -

I guess the 100 million install base of Wii is more worthwhile than the the WiiU's.

#3 Edited by DocSanchez (2331 posts) -

Poor wii u. If this isn't an indication of the dire straits it is in then nothing will convince you. They'd put FIFA on a Nokia 3210 if it was worthwhile.

#4 Posted by humanistpotato (555 posts) -

Did they release fifa 14 on wiiU? if not i think they might be doing a reskin for old versions of wii and 3ds or maybe 6m consumers are not enought for them. Considering most of Nintendo users are not fancy of football.

#5 Posted by jake44 (2056 posts) -

I personally don't care. I didn't buy a Wii U to play EA games.

#6 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (18477 posts) -

Hey it happens... On the plus side, you can play a football minigame on Rayman Legends ! :p

#7 Posted by thehig1 (3332 posts) -

@jake44: your not alone I don't think anyone bought a Nintendo console to play EA games.

#8 Posted by Heirren (18934 posts) -

Wiiu stands for everything positive about videogames.

#9 Edited by Speak_Low (1258 posts) -

Sheep go on and on about EA having a vendetta against Nintendo because of the Origin deal (no proof, all talk), but EA is making a game for the 3DS/Wii.

So what is their explanation here? That EA loves money and will override their personal hatred for a few bucks? Or how about, your first explanation was goofy and you don't know what you're talking about (no proof, all talk).

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (61574 posts) -

We've known this for months.

#11 Posted by Kjranu (1283 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

We've known this for months.

True, but what's also interesting is that the Vita version is $10 more expensive than 3DS version. They're charging more for better graphics? :P

#12 Posted by Heirren (18934 posts) -

@speak_low said:

Sheep go on and on about EA having a vendetta against Nintendo because of the Origin deal (no proof, all talk), but EA is making a game for the 3DS/Wii.

So what is their explanation here? That EA loves money and will override their personal hatred for a few bucks? Or how about, your first explanation was goofy and you don't know what you're talking about (no proof, all talk).

That they can get away with releasing a roster update on a console with a billion user install base, in the wii. There's only one portable system worth making games for in the 3ds, which doesn't have much competition in the genre. Why not release it on wiiu? Because Nintendo doesn't support EAs form of dlc or their plans for sub based pricing and everything involved in that area. The power of wiiu has nothing to do with 3rd party support for these big companies. They don't support wiiu because it clashes with the direction these 3rd parties want to see the industry take. F Sony. F MS. F EA. When are people going to see this. Go build a pc and get a wiiu.

#13 Posted by Aljosa23 (25980 posts) -

Meanwhile Konami are releasing PES 15 on Wii U.

#14 Edited by Speak_Low (1258 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@speak_low said:

That they can get away with releasing a roster update on a console with a billion user install base, in the wii. There's only one portable system worth making games for in the 3ds, which doesn't have much competition in the genre. Why not release it on wiiu? Because Nintendo doesn't support EAs form of dlc or their plans for sub based pricing and everything involved in that area. The power of wiiu has nothing to do with 3rd party support for these big companies. They don't support wiiu because it clashes with the direction these 3rd parties want to see the industry take. F Sony. F MS. F EA. When are people going to see this. Go build a pc and get a wiiu.

Sony didn't want to take part in the EA Access deal, and that hasn't hurt the relationship one bit.

No, the sales suck ass on the Wii. That's the inelegant, simple explanation (have you seen the NPD and Europe results for Wii U third-party software sales?).

If EA was so incredibly mad at Nintendo, they'd go tell the Wii/3DS to go Fifa themselves in the corner, and ignore those consoles too, because while the sales potential is better with these two, they're not exactly amazing either. They could probably be made cheaply, and see a decent return. Wii U is doing so bad right now in third-party software sales, it won't even see anything close to a decent return.

#15 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28045 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Meanwhile Konami are releasing PES 15 on Wii U.

Link? The last PES missed the Wii U, so I'm not sure I buy this completely.

#16 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28045 posts) -

@speak_low said:

@Heirren said:

Sony didn't want to take part in the EA Access deal, and that hasn't hurt the relationship one bit.

No, the sales suck ass on the Wii. That's the inelegant, simple explanation (have you seen the NPD and Europe results for Wii U third-party software sales?).

If EA was so incredibly mad at Nintendo, they'd go tell the Wii/3DS to go Fifa themselves in the corner, and ignore those consoles too, because while the sales potential is better with these two, they're not exactly amazing either.

You do realize what EA said about the 3DS sometime ago, right? This makes them look like freaking hypocrites.

#17 Posted by Speak_Low (1258 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

You do realize what EA said about the 3DS sometime ago, right? This makes them look like freaking hypocrites.

Actually, I don't know. What did they say about 3DS?

#18 Posted by getyeryayasout (8493 posts) -

Parallels between the WiiU and the Dreamcast are getting harder and harder to ignore.

#19 Edited by DocSanchez (2331 posts) -

@getyeryayasout: The biggest difference and the reason Nintendo aren't on their arse right now is because Sega didn't have a hit console prior to it but yes there are a lot of parallels. It's a shame because Dreamcast actually had some great games, not just average games like pikmin being talked up as legends because people need it to be.

#20 Posted by FinalFighters (1922 posts) -

i dont blame them. nintendo fans dont play sports games unless marios name is in the title.

#21 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28045 posts) -

@speak_low said:

Here you go:

"We were supportive of both of those platforms (3DS/Vita), but then you've got finite resources and you've got teams that say, 'We really think that two or three years from now, these are the platforms that people are going to be consuming games on.' And you look at the quality of what you can do on phones and tablets... Sometimes strategy is not about what you do but what you don't do, and you have to make some hard calls when you've got only so many people. To my point, we've got to be planning for FY 17 and 18. Do you think the Vita and 3DS are going to be around in some shape or fashion by then on a scale level?" - Peter Moore

#22 Posted by AtariKidX (6345 posts) -

WiiU...lol

#23 Posted by getyeryayasout (8493 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@getyeryayasout: The biggest difference and the reason Nintendo aren't on their arse right now is because Sega didn't have a hit console prior to it but yes there are a lot of parallels. It's a shame because Dreamcast actually had some great games, not just average games like pikmin being talked up as legends because people need it to be.

I'm unfortunately all too aware of Sega's financial dire straights when they were still in the hardware race, If I was ever a fanboy, I was a Sega fanboy. I day one'd the Dreamcast and thought it had a tremendous library of games, especially since it's life was cut all too short. I don't own a WiiU, but games like Zombie U, Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2 would've been right at home on the Dreamcast.

WiiU doesn't have a huge following, but the people I've talked to who own one seem to really enjoy and champion the system, just like the DC. Then there's the obvious stuff about both having screens in the controller, launching earlier than rivals, perceived as underpowered, won't play DVD's, equal online (I troll), and now missing EA sports, the list of similarities goes on and on.

I haven't owned a Ninty system since the GC and played Pikmin on that back in the day. I liked it, I'd probably pick it up for WiiU if I owned one, which very well could be the case once Zelda shows up. What's been shown of that game looked amazing.

#24 Edited by Speak_Low (1258 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@speak_low said:

Here you go:

"We were supportive of both of those platforms (3DS/Vita), but then you've got finite resources and you've got teams that say, 'We really think that two or three years from now, these are the platforms that people are going to be consuming games on.' And you look at the quality of what you can do on phones and tablets... Sometimes strategy is not about what you do but what you don't do, and you have to make some hard calls when you've got only so many people. To my point, we've got to be planning for FY 17 and 18. Do you think the Vita and 3DS are going to be around in some shape or fashion by then on a scale level?" - Peter Moore

Oh ok, I know about that interview (I thought you were referring to some really mean, awful dig made by EA towards Nintendo that I didn't know about).

Well, do you disagree with him? Are 3DS/Vita going to be worth developing for 2-3 years from now? He didn't say "I won't make games ever on 3DS!!" If certain resources and sales potential are there, they will go after it. But they won't be going crazy with Vita/3DS development. A few games here and there is all we'll see.

And I mentioned Origin because I had a feeling it would be brought up twenty times in this thread ("EA is mad at Nintendo because of Origin!!"). Didn't all of that Origin stuff happen before the Wii U was even released? EA still made some Wii U games and eventually stopped because of sales (I know about the "gimped/late ports" but I still doubt Wii U would somehow do much better with better, full ports because it did get some, and they still failed).

Sony openly said EA Access did not have enough value, and yet, EA is still more than happy to continue making games for the PS4 (Vita not so much).

And the guy above said PES 15 is coming to Wii U. Actually not true (a rep clarified on Twitter that it was an error. Wii U is not getting PES 15). Thread is on GAF

When I look at Konami and EA (and every other major publisher) and why they aren't making games for the Wii U, I see it as a result of sales (and some hardware/resource reasons). I don't think EA is mad at Nintendo, or that Konami is trying to teach Nintendo a lesson in decorum or getting revenge for an ancient slight. They don't have time for such silly drama. The money isn't there and that's why we aren't seeing Wii U versions of so many games.

#25 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152398 posts) -

@locopatho said:

I guess the 100 million install base of Wii is more worthwhile than the the WiiU's.

And the Wii U plays Wii games so.....bfd.

#26 Posted by hehe101 (637 posts) -

lucky wii u, noone wants that crap

#27 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2461 posts) -

@FinalFighters: lies

#28 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5232 posts) -

If it comes out for the Wii, I might consider it. I want a football game, but a little more on the fun side than the hardcore sim versions on the PS3/4 and Xbox 360/1.

I have Pro Evo 2014 and Fifa 14 on the X360 and X1 but I didn't enjoy them. But I had an absolute blast playing Pro Evo 2013 on the Wii. So much fun. I think it's probably the best game I've played on the Wii.

#29 Posted by glez13 (9022 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@speak_low said:

Since when does a console has a billion user install base?

#30 Posted by foxhound_fox (90820 posts) -

I guarantee it would sell more on the U than on the Wii.

#32 Posted by REVOLUTIONfreak (18141 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@speak_low said:

Here you go:

That should really send a message to Nintendo, because I don't think he's wrong. Mind you, I think people will be playing 3DS in 2017, but it won't be as prominent a handheld as it is now, and I think Nintendo has a lot to lose if it twiddles its thumbs and doesn't release something special in the next two years. Nintendo needs to create a handheld platform that has the legs of the DS. That platform managed to sell strongly for more than seven years and bring something new to the table, and I don't feel 3DS (as much as I love it) is currently equipped to repeat that. It's the GameboyAdvance for the DS line, if you ask me. Respectable and a commercial success, but the end of the line before a shake-up.

#33 Posted by locopatho (20986 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

How do you know? Even COD only managed tiny numbers on WiiU, and it sold respectably on Wii.

#34 Posted by foxhound_fox (90820 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@foxhound_fox said:

How do you know? Even COD only managed tiny numbers on WiiU, and it sold respectably on Wii.

I don't know, I'm speculating, like anyone else here. The Wii software attach rate dropped off in 2010 and has dwindled significantly since. More people are likely using their Wii U's now than people are using Wii's, especially in regards to looking for new software to buy.

#35 Posted by Legend002 (7794 posts) -

Multiplat skipping Wii U =/= News

Multiplat coming to Wii U = News

#36 Posted by locopatho (20986 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@locopatho said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I don't know, I'm speculating, like anyone else here. The Wii software attach rate dropped off in 2010 and has dwindled significantly since. More people are likely using their Wii U's now than people are using Wii's, especially in regards to looking for new software to buy.

Fair enough. "Guarantee" seemed like more than speculation but I'll allow it :P

Doubt it'd sell all that well on either platform tho.

Dang, I'd really like a new Mario Strikers game...

#37 Posted by GamingGod999 (3134 posts) -

Just goes to show how pathetic the WiiU's situation is.

#38 Posted by Heirren (18934 posts) -

@speak_low said:

@Heirren said:

@speak_low said:

If EA was so incredibly mad at Nintendo, they'd go tell the Wii/3DS to go Fifa themselves in the corner, and ignore those consoles too, because while the sales potential is better with these two, they're not exactly amazing either. They could probably be made cheaply, and see a decent return. Wii U is doing so bad right now in third-party software sales, it won't even see anything close to a decent return.

I'm talking about all that stuff. 3rd parties love the dlc. That was the problem since before the wiiu even launched. There's confusion when there's three platforms and two are getting paid dlc while one is not. Didn't COD on wiiu JUST get dlc very recently that was free, but was paid on xbox and playstation?

#39 Posted by lamprey263 (25580 posts) -

meh, commie football

#40 Posted by SolidTy (45928 posts) -

I didn't buy the Wii U for 3rd party games so even if FIFA was coming to Wii U, I wouldn't buy it. Inferior online, inferior graphics, not for me.
I want games that are designed around the Wii U, not games that are made as multiplats and pushed on the platform.

I own a PC, PS3, PS4, 360, and Xbone for multiplat experiences like EA games...which btw, I don't even buy their games anyways as I don't care for sports/racing games. The few games they make that aren't in that category I would give a peak, but this is a FIFA thread.

I bought my Wii U at launch like my N64, Gamecube, and Wii to be exclusive machines. I learned my lesson with the N64 especially.

#41 Edited by Wiiboxstation (387 posts) -

@Kjranu:

So far ea have actually released 3 fifa games on the vita that have all been identical in terms of gameplay. I am curious to see if you actually get a new game for those 10 extra bucks.

#42 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28045 posts) -

@GamingGod999 said:

As pathetic as it is, it still dodged a few bullets in the process. EA games since 2013 and Aliens: Colonial Marines being a few.

#43 Posted by locopatho (20986 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@GamingGod999 said:

EA games since 2013

Titanfall is fucking tasty, and Dragon Age III looks awesome too. Not like WiiU is swimming in FPS or WRPG games either.

#44 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7876 posts) -

If I were making a sports game, I would make a title with a retro flair with updated graphics in 1080p and put it on the eshop. Something that played like Tecmo Bowl with good graphics and updated rosters would be super-cheap to make and it would sell well to the Wii U audience. Just look at how Tecmo and Konami used to make sports games and update on that model. The games were fun and arcadey.

#45 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28045 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Titanfall is fucking tasty, and Dragon Age III looks awesome too. Not like WiiU is swimming in FPS or WRPG games either.

I'm sorry, but wasn't Titanfall considered a letdown despite decent scores? I surely expect the same from Bioware's fans on DA III, just like ME3 (which I enjoy) and DA 2.

#46 Posted by locopatho (20986 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@locopatho said:

I'm sorry, but wasn't Titanfall considered a letdown despite decent scores? I surely expect the same from Bioware's fans on DA III, just like ME3 (which I enjoy) and DA 2.

No it was considered brilliant.

ME3 just got flak for the ending, and DA2 was legit disappointing.

#47 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28045 posts) -

@locopatho said:

An ending that is said to have ruined an entire trilogy.

#48 Posted by cainetao11 (19525 posts) -

What do I make of it? EA is a corporation that is looking to maximize the probability of sales. At this point WiiU and X1 don't have large bases. But X1 tries to secure things that may entice people. WiiU is really not working for any third party support. But the install base on the Wii can't be ignored. I guess they figure some of those 100+ million will buy it.

#49 Posted by locopatho (20986 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@locopatho said:

An ending that is said to have ruined an entire trilogy.

By some. Again, you need to stop generalising literally millions of gamers by the words of a few nutcases on Gamespot.

#50 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28045 posts) -

@locopatho said:

By some. Again, you need to stop generalising literally millions of gamers by the words of a few nutcases on Gamespot.

What about the people who made "Retake Mass Effect?" What about a fan who took it to the FTC? The USBB even got on their ass.

Note that the former two were before the Extended Edition.