EA on Wii U: "What we describe as "Gen 4" is yet to come."

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

6_Shooter_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 6_Shooter_25
Member since 2013 • 219 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

On one hand, this doesn't bode well for "N" but on the other hand, the U won't need EA's casual shovelware, it'l get plenty of that elsewhere. :P

Shewgenja

The whole "We don't need EA" thing worked really well for Sega, didn't it?

Nintendo has shown that they can support a console almost entirely by themselves with enough good software to keep it afloat.

Whether you like them or not, one thing is always a sure bet: Nintendo fans will buy Nintendo consoles as long as their key franchises exist. Add into that the casual appeal and the likely lower price tag, and the U should at least see moderate success even without EA's support. I don't recall anyone ever playing Madden on the Wii.

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
you can find wii u's for 200 quid in shops now lolz
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#53 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
lacking EA support is a huge deal. I know EA gets ripped on for a lot of bad games but that's only because they produce so many. In the sea of turds there are a few golden nuggets.
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
you can find wii u's for 200 quid in shops now lolzdaveg1
You can get them on Ebay for 1/3 off.
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Wow, I am predicting PS4 and Xbox 720 to be strait Beasts.

Nintendo should be scared. The monsters are coming soon.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
lacking EA support is a huge deal. I know EA gets ripped on for a lot of bad games but that's only because they produce so many. In the sea of turds there are a few golden nuggets.GunSmith1_basic
It's a huge deal if you are only going to own one console. Frankly, I don't understand why anybody who owns a PC would ever buy the console version of any multiplat, unless they just like paying more for inferior versions of games. I only buy exclusives on consoles, so while losing EA is probably a big deal to Nintendo, it does absolutely nothing to diminish the value of the console to me.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Wow, I am predicting PS4 and Xbox 720 to be strait Beasts.

Nintendo should be scared. The monsters are coming soon.

Mrmedia01
Don't sell Valve short. The Steambox might just swamp Sony and Microsoft both.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#58 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
lacking EA support is a huge deal. I know EA gets ripped on for a lot of bad games but that's only because they produce so many. In the sea of turds there are a few golden nuggets.GunSmith1_basic
It's not just the games. It's their business practices too.
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

And if Nintendo had allowed EA to implement their Origin as the Wii U's main network feature, Nintendo would be still be ****. They're in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. 

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 nintendoboy16

And if Nintendo had allowed EA to implement their Origin as the Wii U's main network feature, Nintendo would be still be ****. They're in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. 

magiciandude
"Damned if you do, damned if you don't" NEEDS to be their slogan.
Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
looks like the Wii U is dead
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#62 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Welcome back to 1990.OreoMilkshake
Yes pleas.. C&C, Duke 3D, Warcraft 2 etc etc.. that as one amazing decade for games.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Seems EA defines generations like the worst fanboys on here.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

From their investor q and a.

Copy pasting gaf thread

Gaf thread to follow updates and more news etc..

[quote=""]To avoid any confusion, I've just re-transcribed the Wii U quote from a recording of the investor call. Here it is in full:

Originally Posted by Electronic Arts:
Q: I know Nintendo came out today and was a little bit more cautious with their outlook for Wii U sales, doesn't sound like this is a platform you guys are really pursuing aggressively on. What does this really say about the consumers' willingness to adopt the next-gen consoles we should have something new from Sony and Microsoft, so what does that say with Nintendo going through the early struggles on the Wii U?

A: So, couple of things. First, you never count Nintendo out. They've got some of the best IPs in the game industry, when their marquee titles show up, that's when you usually see the bounce. I'm deeply respectful of the achievements they've had over the last several years, and so yeah, never really count them out.

Having said that, I wouldn't say that we see much correlation between the results that Nintendo have just shown with the console debut of the Wii U and what we see coming. We see a pretty sharp distinction and unfortunately I'm unable to go any further than that.

Ours is an industry where a lot of devices come in and represent themselves as the next generation or the next generation after that. You know in many ways, we would argue that the gen what we're describing as "Gen 4", is yet to come and it's that we're excited about, and that's what we're investing in, and frankly we've been quite consistent with that for some time, recognising the frustration our inability to articulate precisely why, causes for you.campzor

DICE defines generations based on when 3D came into being on consoles and EA followed.

If they are saying this about the wii u...then ps4/720 must be beasts :cool: sorry..better luck next gen sheep

yea...this guy isnt a cow huh charizard? idiots...lol

quickposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 quickposter
Member since 2010 • 1735 Posts

It doesn't matter what EA define as "next generation" what matters is consumers. Honestly this debate about Wii U and power has gone on and on and on and to me it isn't justified. The media, analysts and forum posters using power against Wii U haven't even bothered to consider what can go wrong with the others. Giving a significant leap in power is bad when dev costs go up again but it is a recipe for disaster in a recession.

You all squawk about power now but how many of you will be there when you actually get it? When the truth starts coming out and prices inflate you will have to put your money where your mouth is. And that won't be just console prices either. Games will suffer as well. Compare Vita game prices to 3DS.

A stop gap is what is best for the industry but a niche part of the market that is seen as unacceptable and the fall of the industry. Power lovers are niche and when this thing called karma comes back to bite you Wii U doubters you'll see what I mean.

Wii U owners will have the last laugh.

fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 fernandmondego_

It doesn't matter what EA define as "next generation" what matters is consumers. Honestly this debate about Wii U and power has gone on and on and on and to me it isn't justified. The media, analysts and forum posters using power against Wii U haven't even bothered to consider what can go wrong with the others. Giving a significant leap in power is bad when dev costs go up again but it is a recipe for disaster in a recession.

You all squawk about power now but how many of you will be there when you actually get it? When the truth starts coming out and prices inflate you will have to put your money where your mouth is. And that won't be just console prices either. Games will suffer as well. Compare Vita game prices to 3DS.

A stop gap is what is best for the industry but a niche part of the market that is seen as unacceptable and the fall of the industry. Power lovers are niche and when this thing called karma comes back to bite you Wii U doubters you'll see what I mean.

Wii U owners will have the last laugh.

quickposter
That's what was said last gen. Besides, it works fine for PC.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#67 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Of course from a publishing perspective, it's not a next-gen machine, because it isn't a grand leap in power (and development expenses) from 360 and PS3. It doesn't matter to EA if the Wii U is meant to compete with Durango and Orbis, because they sell games, not hardware.

blackace

Using the correct definitely of "NextGen" the Wii U is a Next Generation console. It is the first 8th Generation console released. Has nothing to do with power, specs, 3D or any of that crap. It's just the next series of game consoles to be released. PS4 and XBox 720 will also be 8th Generation consoles.

But like I said, EA doesn't care which generation a console is in, they only care about its capabilities because those are relevant to their concerns. They said "what we describe as Gen 4", not "the absolute, carved-in-stone next generation that everyone must recognize"

The latter of which, honestly, doesn't have much relevance except to people bickering about semantics on the internet.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#68 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
That's not even the problem here. Noobs called gen 8 gen 4.
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 fernandmondego_
That's not even the problem here. Noobs called gen 8 gen 4. khoofia_pika
What is a gen?
quickposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 quickposter

That's what was said last gen. Besides, it works fine for PC.fernandmondego_

I don't know what that means. Circumstances are different.

Nintendo is first to market.

Microsoft and Sony (MS especially) are now following Nintendo's route.

There isn't even an indication if both are out this year. Only one.

Sony are already in financial crisis (much worse then Nintendo) and don't have the big IPs they do. Gran Turismo is the only one that sells systems. Uncharted and GoW might get strong sales but they don't sell systems.

Did any of the people who make these claims take this into account? EVERYTHING the internet proclaimed the exact opposite happened. People think Microsoft and Sony have a walk in the park here but they are wrong. The others are not immune to commercial failure.

The people making these claims are saying the same thing as last time. Last time it was "Oh 360 but what happens when PS3 comes out?" This time they spin the argument towards Wii U with the others. Except with a small twist. They add Xbox because it proved successful.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#71 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
Well, it's not like he can say something like "why should we bother", I mean it's a lot harder to make money on a console with not even 3 million users thus far, you can make the best games ever on the Wii U and it would still struggle to make a decent profit at this point, whereas with the Xbox 360 and PS3 with about 140 - 150 million consoles sales combined, plus the PC gamers, it's a lot easier to make a profit making games for that combined audience. Plus, with the Wii the gamers weren't very receptive to third party titles, another one of those times he could but shouldn't say "why should we bother". I noticed he delicately tip-toed around that because obviously he doesn't want to hurt any chance of eventually appealing toward those gamers, so he said "marquee titles" which basically just a fancy way of saying Nintendo's first party premium titles. And sure, Nintendo might not be selling Wii Us like they did Wiis, but they are going to do okay down the line, so he seemed to be modest regarding expectations for Nintendo.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Am sure WiiU owners will still be happy as long as great games get released on their system.. 

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]

From their investor q and a.

Copy pasting gaf thread

Gaf thread to follow updates and more news etc..

[quote=""]To avoid any confusion, I've just re-transcribed the Wii U quote from a recording of the investor call. Here it is in full:

Originally Posted by Electronic Arts:
Q: I know Nintendo came out today and was a little bit more cautious with their outlook for Wii U sales, doesn't sound like this is a platform you guys are really pursuing aggressively on. What does this really say about the consumers' willingness to adopt the next-gen consoles we should have something new from Sony and Microsoft, so what does that say with Nintendo going through the early struggles on the Wii U?

A: So, couple of things. First, you never count Nintendo out. They've got some of the best IPs in the game industry, when their marquee titles show up, that's when you usually see the bounce. I'm deeply respectful of the achievements they've had over the last several years, and so yeah, never really count them out.

Having said that, I wouldn't say that we see much correlation between the results that Nintendo have just shown with the console debut of the Wii U and what we see coming. We see a pretty sharp distinction and unfortunately I'm unable to go any further than that.

Ours is an industry where a lot of devices come in and represent themselves as the next generation or the next generation after that. You know in many ways, we would argue that the gen what we're describing as "Gen 4", is yet to come and it's that we're excited about, and that's what we're investing in, and frankly we've been quite consistent with that for some time, recognising the frustration our inability to articulate precisely why, causes for you.KBFloYd

DICE defines generations based on when 3D came into being on consoles and EA followed.

If they are saying this about the wii u...then ps4/720 must be beasts :cool: sorry..better luck next gen sheep

yea...this guy isnt a cow huh charizard? idiots...lol

EA said it themselves that wii u is pretty much not next gen... So im pretty much just saying facts... No cow here.
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I know this is old (October 31st 2012), but have people seen this?

"Moore addresses the Wii U by comparing it to Nintendo's predecessor, the Wii. He likens the Wii to a meteor that, after its time in the sky, has all but vanished from view. He notes that the system lacked the ability to keep hold of its customers and keep them playing. Moore believes that the lack of a proper online infrastructure was in part to blame. He concludes by saying that the Wii U is an improvement over that model, but disputes how far 32 GB of memory can carry the user as his or her library builds."

Things are not good between EA and Nintendo.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

There may be bad blood between Nintendo and EA but at least they are not giving it the Dreamcast treatment and not making games at all. Then you would start to get worried. That said, the Dreamcast remains one of my favorite systems of all time and we probably wouldn't have got the 2K sports series if they were on board. Maybe no EA or limited EA would be the best possible thing that could happen to anyone who bought the system.

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#77 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts

Nobody buys a Nintendo console for 3rd party games. It is all about the Nintendo games on their consoles. 

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#78 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts

TBH when i see games like Bravely Default on 3DS and their art, makes next gen seem so boring

3DS is my new PS1 (if they ever bring Bravely Default etc outside Japan of course)

Hopefully next gen will have more 2D art games

loosingENDS
I would say that the original DS was closer to the PS1. The 3DS is still lacking in games at the moment IMO. It has great titles, but the DS had an amazing lineup. With that said, I do think the 3DS will follow in it's older brothers footsteps and I do love my 3DS. If they ever bring Bravely Default here, I will be ecstatic. Nintendo handhelds have always been the cream of the crop when it comes to games, nobody in their right mind can deny that.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts
EA,Acti and Ubi are in a position where they can literally make or break a console.Look at the dreamcast apart from 2k none of the major publishers hoped on and a huge part in the casts rapid decline was strangley no EA sports or EA franchises. If EA pull or have lesser input on the console's games and draw support right back, it will effectively cause a lot of alarm for the average consumer who might not get certain games on the platform of their choice. EA's stance is an alarming developement nobody should deny this.
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

EA,Acti and Ubi are in a position where they can literally make or break a console.Look at the dreamcast apart from 2k none of the major publishers hoped on and a huge part in the casts rapid decline was strangley no EA sports or EA franchises. If EA pull or have lesser input on the console's games and draw support right back, it will effectively cause a lot of alarm for the average consumer who might not get certain games on the platform of their choice. EA's stance is an alarming developement nobody should deny this.razgriz_101

The loss of EA is definitely a deal breaker for some.

In the very least the lack EA would mean no Fight Night, Fifa, SSX or Crysis for me and that's off the top of my head. In the US it means a load of their sports as well.

No Fifa/Pro Evo is a big deal in the UK and has proven to be a clear deal breaker for the football fans.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#81 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]That's what was said last gen. Besides, it works fine for PC.quickposter

I don't know what that means. Circumstances are different.

Nintendo is first to market.

Microsoft and Sony (MS especially) are now following Nintendo's route.

There isn't even an indication if both are out this year. Only one.

Sony are already in financial crisis (much worse then Nintendo) and don't have the big IPs they do. Gran Turismo is the only one that sells systems. Uncharted and GoW might get strong sales but they don't sell systems.

Did any of the people who make these claims take this into account? EVERYTHING the internet proclaimed the exact opposite happened. People think Microsoft and Sony have a walk in the park here but they are wrong. The others are not immune to commercial failure.

The people making these claims are saying the same thing as last time. Last time it was "Oh 360 but what happens when PS3 comes out?" This time they spin the argument towards Wii U with the others. Except with a small twist. They add Xbox because it proved successful.

I'm thinking MS or Sony are going to struggle like ninty(not including the third party problems because that is near impossible for ninty to fix right now) at first when they release their next gen console.Even though the next gen consoles seem to be getting more hype than the WiiU got I'm not entirely sure if this hype will translate to high launch sales like some people think.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 nintendoboy16

EA,Acti and Ubi are in a position where they can literally make or break a console.Look at the dreamcast apart from 2k none of the major publishers hoped on and a huge part in the casts rapid decline was strangley no EA sports or EA franchises.

If EA pull or have lesser input on the console's games and draw support right back, it will effectively cause a lot of alarm for the average consumer who might not get certain games on the platform of their choice.

EA's stance is an alarming developement nobody should deny this.razgriz_101

Here's the problem with the Dreamcast comparison, EA threw NOTHING nothing SEGA's way then. While Nintendo consoles received... well, not much, but something:

N64: A couple WCW games (Mayhem, Backstage Assault), A couple Maddens, Nuclear Strike, and James Bond post-Rare (The World is Not Enough)

GameCube (perhaps, for Nintendo console standards, where their BEST support was, weirdly enough): James Bond (Agent Under Fire, Nightfire, Everything or Nothing, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent), The Sims (the first one, Bustin' Out, Urbz: Sims in the City, The Sims 2, The Sims 2 Pets), Lord of the Rings (Two Towers, Return of the King, Third Age), Harry Potter (Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, Quidditch World Cup), Madden series, TimeSplitters: Future Perfect, Need For Speed series

Wii: The Sims series, My Sims series, Dead Space Extraction, different versions of Madden

Wii U (so far): Madden 13, Mass Effect 3

Besides, Nintendo and EA relationship has ALWAYS been this iffy. Nothing new. And as FE_man said, Trip Hawkins (EA founder) HATED Nintendo.

quickposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 quickposter

I'm thinking MS or Sony are going to struggle like ninty(not including the third party problems because that is near impossible for ninty to fix right now) at first when they release their next gen console.Even though the next gen consoles seem to be getting more hype than the WiiU got I'm not entirely sure if this hype will translate to high launch sales like some people think.

super600

Yeah thats what I mean man. I might love my Wii U but it isn't for everybody and there will always be people who don't like it. A bunch of forum posters aren't as powerful as people think. Just because a lot of buzz is made about something across 10 forums that doesn't mean the outside world feels the same.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#85 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Anyone who consider next gen as 4th Gen doesn't deserver any sort of credibility.

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts
Or you could shut your mouth EA and get to work on a game worth buying for it......you will make money if the game is good enough and appeals to a broader audience.
OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

Of course WiiU is a next gen system,just a very underpowered one just as the Wii was.And when PS4 and Nextbox come out it will be the same story with Nintendo doing their own thing and third parties ignoring them and putting their games on the Sony and M$ systems.

Rayne718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Rayne718
Member since 2011 • 184 Posts

Who cares about EA and other 3rd parties when you have:

Next 3D Mario U

Next 3D Zelda U

Zelda Wind Waker U

Yoshis Island U

Smash Bros U

Donkey Kong U

Next 3D Metroid Prime U

Pikim 3

Wonderful 101

Bayonetta 2

Rayman Legends

Xenoblade 2 

I'll take those great gameplay experiences over the same old tired trash with better graphics. Get ready for Gears 4,5,6,7, Halo 5,6,7,8 and Killzone 4,5,6,7 next 'gen'Â