EA on Wii U: "What we describe as "Gen 4" is yet to come."

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

From their investor q and a.

Copy pasting gaf thread

Gaf thread to follow updates and more news etc..

To avoid any confusion, I've just re-transcribed the Wii U quote from a recording of the investor call. Here it is in full:

Originally Posted by Electronic Arts:
Q: I know Nintendo came out today and was a little bit more cautious with their outlook for Wii U sales, doesn't sound like this is a platform you guys are really pursuing aggressively on. What does this really say about the consumers' willingness to adopt the next-gen consoles we should have something new from Sony and Microsoft, so what does that say with Nintendo going through the early struggles on the Wii U?

A: So, couple of things. First, you never count Nintendo out. They've got some of the best IPs in the game industry, when their marquee titles show up, that's when you usually see the bounce. I'm deeply respectful of the achievements they've had over the last several years, and so yeah, never really count them out.

Having said that, I wouldn't say that we see much correlation between the results that Nintendo have just shown with the console debut of the Wii U and what we see coming. We see a pretty sharp distinction and unfortunately I'm unable to go any further than that.

Ours is an industry where a lot of devices come in and represent themselves as the next generation or the next generation after that. You know in many ways, we would argue that the gen what we're describing as "Gen 4", is yet to come and it's that we're excited about, and that's what we're investing in, and frankly we've been quite consistent with that for some time, recognising the frustration our inability to articulate precisely why, causes for you.

DICE defines generations based on when 3D came into being on consoles and EA followed.

If they are saying this about the wii u...then ps4/720 must be beasts :cool: sorry..better luck next gen sheep

#2 Posted by AM-Gamer (3568 posts) -

Most people with common sense new this, they had to be to be a major step up from what they have already released. 

#3 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Most people with common sense new thisAM-Gamer

Really funny if interpreted literally. 

#4 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -
Gen 4? You mean, we're going back to SNES/Genesis era, EA?
#5 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Gen 4? You mean, we're going back to SNES/Genesis era, EA?nintendoboy16

DICE defines generations based on when 3D came into being on consoles and EA followed.

I came up with that all on my own. Plagiarism free zone here. 

#6 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Gen 4? You mean, we're going back to SNES/Genesis era, EA?psymon100

I came up with that all on my own. Plagiarism free zone here. 

you should sue, EA would!
#7 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

Of course from a publishing perspective, it's not a next-gen machine, because it isn't a grand leap in power (and development expenses) from 360 and PS3. It doesn't matter to EA if the Wii U is meant to compete with Durango and Orbis, because they sell games, not hardware.

#8 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4751 posts) -

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

Most people with common sense new thispsymon100

Really funny if interpreted literally. 

lol

#9 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -
Welcome back to 1990.
#10 Posted by sailor232 (4434 posts) -

So he is saying when Nintendo bring out there big guns, they will kick @ss.

#11 Posted by getyeryayasout (7169 posts) -

Of course from a publishing perspective, it's not a next-gen machine, because it isn't a grand leap in power (and development expenses) from 360 and PS3. It doesn't matter to EA if the Wii U is meant to compete with Durango and Orbis, because they sell games, not hardware.

Cherokee_Jack
I'm a little surprised 3rd parties aren't gravitating more to the WiiU for that reason. I read a interview with Cliffy B where he estimated that development costs would double for next gen systems.
#12 Posted by mariokart64fan (19377 posts) -

so ea says wiiu is the next snes ? i guess the next gen is really not next gen at all we just stepped back in time haha seriously ea needs to shut up they dont make hardware to judge it ,    when they can finally provide me with a quality football experience like 2006  unlike crappy 2013 ,   they can talk ,    no season mode  and when they can top nfs 3 hot pursuit let me know cause they obviously dont know how to make a good nfs anymore

#13 Posted by KungfuKitten (20844 posts) -

Actually Nintendo and EA had a big falling out. This could be more of a threat than fact.

#14 Posted by Bigboi500 (29310 posts) -

So what?

#15 Posted by g0ddyX (3905 posts) -

Sheep are loosing the plot.

#16 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2525 posts) -

Better start pumping out those 1st party games Nintendo. Once again, 3rd parties seem very uninterested in a Nintendo console.

#17 Posted by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

They just sound butthurt Nintendo didn't go with Origin. 

#18 Posted by clyde46 (44851 posts) -
So, thats more party games then.
#19 Posted by OB-47 (10908 posts) -

That's because WiiU isn't even a huge leap in power that PS4 and Nextbox will be.

But who cares. If the tablets nice and the games don't look as ugly as some of the WiiU titles, sheep will be happy.

#21 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24875 posts) -

Well, lets just see how much more hair particles we can see next gen.

I hate to see WiiU become another Wii even if it's hardware can run games like The Witcher 2, or Battlefield 3, or Skyrim.

3rd Parties and Consumers just want to see if we can see freckles and nose hairs on some dude's body.

#22 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

the gen count was reset when playstation launched , similar to years count after jesus was born

#23 Posted by PSP107 (11818 posts) -

Better start pumping out those 1st party games Nintendo. Once again, 3rd parties seem very uninterested in a Nintendo console.

Kingpin0114
N64-1996 Gamecube-2001 Wii-2006 WiiU-2012 Thats a long time.
#24 Posted by fugwit (477 posts) -

Oh EA, stop being so butthurt about Ninty not choosing Origin

#25 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Gen 4? You mean, we're going back to SNES/Genesis era, EA?AmnesiaHaze

the gen count was reset when playstation launched , similar to years count after jesus was born

I actually like this. 2 thumbs up.
#26 Posted by Giancar (19048 posts) -
When one of the biggest 3rd party devs/publishers say something like this for X system. You should start to worry about it.
#27 Posted by SecretPolice (21467 posts) -

On one hand, this doesn't bode well for "N" but on the other hand, the U won't need EA's casual shovelware, it'l get plenty of that elsewhere. :P

#28 Posted by MirkoS77 (7143 posts) -
Hell yea man, we're headed back to the days of blast processing and mode 7!! Look at those sprites rotate! AWESOME.
#29 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8623 posts) -

This is nothing new, EA has never truly supported Nintendo since the NES. When comes for console game development, they always support the opposite:

• 8-Bit era: PC games
  • 16: Genesis
  • 32/3D: Playstation
  • 128: Playstation/Xbox
  • HD: PS3/360
#30 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the president of EA go on stage during a nintendo conference to sing praise about the wii u and how they were fully on board and full of titles coming out for it?
#31 Posted by super600 (30285 posts) -

correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the president of EA go on stage during a nintendo conference to sing praise about the wii u and how they were fully on board and full of titles coming out for it?BrunoBRS

But then they tried to get ninty to probably make them use origin for their console's online.

#32 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6973 posts) -
Judging by the type of "support" EA gave the Wii, Nintendo might actually be better off without them.
#33 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
DAT EA SUPPORT!
#34 Posted by KungfuKitten (20844 posts) -

Judging by the type of "support" EA gave the Wii, Nintendo might actually be better off without them.PurpleMan5000
Yeah and especially after their Origin demands, I wouldn't exactly trust what EA says.

#35 Posted by Heil68 (43436 posts) -
If you buy Nintendo consoles for 3rd party games, you're doing it wrong.
#36 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24875 posts) -

correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the president of EA go on stage during a nintendo conference to sing praise about the wii u and how they were fully on board and full of titles coming out for it?BrunoBRS

and then EA found out their partnership didn't mean Nintendo games on Origin.

EA got mad.

#37 Posted by KungfuKitten (20844 posts) -

Or maybe this is implying that EA wants to make a 16 bit Battlefield game.

#38 Posted by Sushiglutton (5225 posts) -

No one in the industry think of Wii-U as "next-gen". Only the old-school System Warriors do (in other words, total morons).

#39 Posted by Puckhog04 (22606 posts) -

The PS4/Next Xbox should be more powerful; They're coming out after the Wii U. So he's stating what everyone should already know; Both will be more powerful than the Wii U. But by how much is yet to be seen...at least officially. Right now, the Wii U is the most powerful console on the market. That will definitely change when the PS4 and Xbox 720 are released, this is obvious.

#40 Posted by silversix_ (14062 posts) -
Sheep must be mad and not sleep at night with all the negativity coming from their little new system that you're stuck with for the next 5+ years
#41 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

TBH when i see games like Bravely Default on 3DS and their art, makes next gen seem so boring

3DS is my new PS1 (if they ever bring Bravely Default etc outside Japan of course)

Hopefully next gen will have more 2D art games

#42 Posted by Gue1 (9498 posts) -

I'm starting to feel pity for Nintendo now. They were easier to hate when the Wii was successful. They should have kept the casual approach because no core gamer will ever take them seriously ever again.  :(

#43 Posted by Shewgenja (8453 posts) -

On one hand, this doesn't bode well for "N" but on the other hand, the U won't need EA's casual shovelware, it'l get plenty of that elsewhere. :P

SecretPolice
The whole "We don't need EA" thing worked really well for Sega, didn't it?
#44 Posted by topgunmv (10175 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

getyeryayasout

I'm a little surprised 3rd parties aren't gravitating more to the WiiU for that reason. I read a interview with Cliffy B where he estimated that development costs would double for next gen systems.

I don't understand how small indie studios like flying wild hog can make their own engines and awesome looking games while big companies need the budget of a 3rd world nation.

#45 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11279 posts) -
EA is just butthurt Nintendo didn't let them design the Wii U's online infrastructure. But in terms of "powah" they are probably right.
#46 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11279 posts) -
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Shewgenja
The whole "We don't need EA" thing worked really well for Sega, didn't it?

EA gave minimal support to the Wii and look how that turned out.
#47 Posted by blackace (20249 posts) -

Cherokee_Jack
Using the correct definitely of "NextGen" the Wii U is a Next Generation console. It is the first 8th Generation console released. Has nothing to do with power, specs, 3D or any of that crap. It's just the next series of game consoles to be released. PS4 and XBox 720 will also be 8th Generation consoles.
#48 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

Where's that mems dude? I guess EA isn't making sense either amirite? :roll:

#49 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

blackace
Using the correct definitely of "NextGen" the Wii U is a Next Generation console. It is the first 8th Generation console released. Has nothing to do with power, specs, 3D or any of that crap. It's just the next series of game consoles to be released. PS4 and XBox 720 will also be 8th Generation consoles.

Not really, no.