EA not interested on making sports games for Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts
Another reason Wii U is going to become irrelevant. http://m.kotaku.com/5983179/three-months-after-it-launched-the-wii-u-is-irrelevant-to-sports-gaming
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

This can't be real life. 

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

No gaems.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

EA being EA, they will never fully support a Nintendo System

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

That means full EA support by Xmas.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Incredible, the Wii U just got even less attractive.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

BS ,there will be a madden. Fifa and NHL title on WiiU this year. EA is just salty that nintendo didnt use Origin for the online infrastructure

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts
They're EA; they'll go wherever the money is. If the WiiU's sales pick up, they'll port sports titles over.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Well that's that then.

Guess I should expect threads here on System Wars in 10 years detailing how the WiiU was the most magnificent system to come from Nintendo.

/dreamcast joke

Sounds like EA is still sour about the whole Origin deal.

IPWNDU2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 IPWNDU2
Member since 2006 • 2535 Posts

I wish EA didn't hold a monopoly of the sports game genre

Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
don't worry, Nintendo still has Mario Tennis
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
Who plays sports games anyway?
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 balfe1990

Who plays sports games anyway?King_Dodongo

Literally dozens of millions of people.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Even though I personally don't play sports games much, I find this news very disappointing. It's nice to grab the occasional sports game. I'll probably be able to get my fix from other devs anyway, such as Konami, Activision and Nintendo.

Regardless, I think EA is BSing and by year's end, we'll see their games on the system.  

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If EA wants to cede the WiiU sports genre to competitors, that's their perogative. There's always competitors who can fill the void.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44056 Posts

EA... Wii U being Dreamcasted. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
It makes sense. Wiiu won't be able to run the latest engines. Can't really blame then.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts
Seems odd as Madden and Fifa 2013 are on the system now. I guess they didnt sell well enough to warrant the next installment.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#19 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Oh well. EA has been pissing everyone off with their practices. Shouldn't matter that much for Nintendo.

And as far as I know, EA is still planning to release Most Wanted on Wii U.

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts
next up, Madden. Wii-U is already dead.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendoboy16

SecretPolice
No, Nintendo would have to bleed money out the ass for that.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
The touchscreen really does make WiiU madden the best. It's so much faster to audible and change assignments that a DA controller.
runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 runbleduck
It makes sense. Wiiu won't be able to run the latest engines. Can't really blame then.Heirren
It could barely run last-gen engines. Architecture is too different such that developers have to relearn (way too expensive) to program for the system for at best last-gen graphics. No sane third parties and developers would want to waste their time doing that.
runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 runbleduck
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

nintendoboy16

Except Nintendo is bleeding money left and right and their stock value has plummeted to an all time low.
com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 com2006
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts
It makes sense. Wiiu won't be able to run the latest engines. Can't really blame then.Heirren
It can run everything the PS3 and 360 can... This news however is not good for Wii U, they games don't appeal to me but they are important to have on your system because it adds appeal to others.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

runbleduck

Except Nintendo is bleeding money left and right and their stock value has plummeted to an all time low.

But considering they still have a lot from Wii's success and didn't release f*** ups equal to SEGA CD, 32X, and Saturn, I'd say they are still ok.

The Wii U is not going to kick them out even if EA is refusing to release some stuff for it. You only say it will because you want it to happen.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice  Online

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

nintendoboy16

That would have applied if I said Nintendo was being Sega'ed :P

But really, I dunno why EA is doing it but EA refusing to support the DC was IMO one of the important reasons the DC just didn't make it. :?

Even though 2K football & basketball was head & shoulders above the EA counterparts. :cool:

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

SecretPolice

But really, I dunno why EA is doing it but EA refusing to support the DC was IMO one of the important reasons the DC just didn't make it. :?

Even though 2K football & basketball was head & shoulders above the EA counterparts. :cool:

SEGA bleeding money from SEGA CD, 32X, and Saturn played a good deal into it too. When did Nintendo have those issues during N64 and GameCube?

At least EA threw out some things at launch for Wii U, what did they throw out for Dreamcast?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice  Online

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] No, Nintendo would have to bleed money out the ass for that.nintendoboy16

SEGA bleeding money from SEGA CD, 32X, and Saturn played a good deal into it too. When did Nintendo have those issues during N64 and GameCube?

Just so ya know, I don't think EA can DC the U but yes, there were many contributing factors to the DC demise and having EA withhold support was a biggie for many thinking about buying a DC but then decided not to based on EA games not being offered.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]That would have applied if I said Nintendo was being Sega'ed :P

SecretPolice

Just so ya know, I don't think EA can DC the U but yes, there were many contributing factors to the DC demise and having EA withhold support was a biggie for many thinking about buying a DC but then decided not to based on EA games not being offered.

Even then, EA didn't help anyone buy a Nintendo system outside of SSX On Tour and NBA Street Volume 3, which failed miserably. The Wii U will be fine with or without EA.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

No Origin! No EA GAMES!
I wonder if this means that PS4/720 will have obligated Origin installation. Or that they will also miss out on all EA titles.
What do you think?
I think they will have Origin ads all over the place.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 com2006

No Origins! No EA GAMES!
I wonder if this means that PS4/720 will have obligated Origins installation. Or that they will also miss out on all EA titles.

KungfuKitten
EA will just decide to make their own console
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

No Origins! No EA GAMES!
I wonder if this means that PS4/720 will have obligated Origins installation. Or that they will also miss out on all EA titles.

com2006
EA will just decide to make their own console

Well if they continue like this that is what they'll end up doing I guess :P
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
They're probably disappointed in the sales of their WiiU port of a year old Fifa game. I'd rather have nothing than an outdated game at full price.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
So much for that stellar third party support.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KungfuKitten

They're probably disappointed in the sales of their WiiU port of a year old Fifa game. I'd rather have nothing than an outdated game at full price.bobbetybob
They're just trying to push Nintendo to force Origin. They're an easy target for companies like EA. It's kinda sad. Another reason why you can't count on 3rd party.
They are rapidly turning into more of a blight than a blessing. I suppose they are feeling the pressure from the modding scene and indi development.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Why do I have a feeling that they are doing this because of their failure to bring origin to the WiiU.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 com2006
It could well have something to do with Origin, I bet if Nintendo added it to their system there suddenly would be a Ton of EA games on the system.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

If EA wants to cede the WiiU sports genre to competitors, that's their perogative. There's always competitors who can fill the void.

jun_aka_pekto

Unfortunately no, since EA owns exclusive rights to many of them, and the ones they don't own I doubt a developer will make a AAA game for Wii-U. (save for possibility Mario Tennis, Mario Soccer, Mario Golf, Mario Olympics etc - nobody is going to make a REAL game for Wii-U). The only compitiion for EA is basically 2K for basketball, and Sony makes a first party game for MLB. Is Nintendo going to make a 1st party sports "sim" of that quality? 

I can't believe no Tiger Woods for Wii-U? I thought that the standalone Wii version always did well for them. 

Also no NCAA, no NHL, no MLB, etc. Will 2K at least make NBA2K for Wii-U? This could be a pretty damning loss for the Wii-U if it ends up lacking all of these games, not sure if EA means they would even stop producing Madden and Fifa at some point? If they drop those, that's actually a pretty big deathblow for any console considering these games are played by 10's of millions.  Maybe in a year or two they will sing a different tune if the Wii-U turns it around.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

2Chalupas

Unfortunately no, since EA owns exclusive rights to many of them, and the ones they don't own I doubt a developer will make a AAA game for Wii-U. (save for possibility Mario Tennis, Mario Soccer, Mario Golf, Mario Olympics etc - nobody is going to make a REAL game for Wii-U). The only compitiion for EA is basically 2K for basketball, and Sony makes a first party game for MLB. Is Nintendo going to make a 1st party sports "sim" of that quality? 

I can't believe no Tiger Woods for Wii-U? I thought that the standalone Wii version always did well for them. 

Also no NCAA, no NHL, no MLB, etc. Will 2K at least make NBA2K for Wii-U? This could be a pretty damning loss for the Wii-U if it ends up lacking all of these games, not sure if EA means they would even stop producing Madden and Fifa at some point? If they drop those, that's actually a pretty big deathblow for any console considering these games are played by 10's of millions.  Maybe in a year or two they will sing a different tune if the Wii-U turns it around.

I highly doubt it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Why do I have a feeling that they are doing this because of their failure to bring origin to the WiiU.

super600
You should talk to them about the Wii'u incredible lighting and draw distance/scale that's currently available!
720OwnsPS4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 720OwnsPS4
Member since 2013 • 132 Posts

Wii U is the next Dreamcast only without the great cult classic library of games. Buying one is the same thing as lighting $400 on fire.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

nintendoboy16

It's a joke.

from wiki

Developer Support

Electronic Arts was one of the notable developers that did not publish games for the Dreamcast. Although EA had long supported Sega's earlier consoles, and this partnership has been attributed to EA's emergence as one of the dominant players, it had suffered losses from the Sega Saturn and its premature discontinuation.

During negotiations, EA was irked by Sega's indecision over hardware, including which graphics chipset and whether to include a modem. One EA executive said "there was a push from Sega, which was having cash flow problems, and they couldn't afford to give us [EA] the same kind of license that EA has had over the last five years. So EA basically said, 'You can't succeed without us.' And Sega said, 'Sure we can. We're Sega.

There was disagreement between Sega and EA over sports games. EA knew that hardware manufacturers were at risk when launching a new console, and would use such situations to EA's advantage. EA's then-president Larry Probst (a close friend of Sega's Stolar) noted wide competition to EA's sports franchises and wanted five year exclusive rights for EA to be the only sports brand on Dreamcast. However Sega America's president Bernie Stolar had a strategic plan that included Visual Concepts (a company that Sega purchased for $10 million) as a key element for the Dreamcast,and Stolar believed that Visual Concept's upcoming NFL title would be superior to EA's Madden NFL series. Sega offered to lower the royalty rates that EA would pay for publishing its titles on the Dreamcast but Probst would not budge on the exclusivity deal.

Oddly enough this sounds EXACTLY what Nintendo is going through with EA.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

No Origin! No EA GAMES!
I wonder if this means that PS4/720 will have obligated Origin installation. Or that they will also miss out on all EA titles.
What do you think?

KungfuKitten

At the very least, they're probably upset that they (presumably) can't sell Online Passes over Nintendo's download system.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LegatoSkyheart

Wii U is the next Dreamcast only without the great cult classic library of games. Buying one is the same thing as lighting $400 on fire.

720OwnsPS4

I'm certain just about everyone found out about all the great games the Dreamcast had AFTER It's fall out.

and really a lot of what's going on is sounding oddly a lot like The WiiU is certainly going to be The NEXT Dreamcast.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

Heil68

You should talk to them about the Wii'u incredible lighting and draw distance/scale that's currently available!

You're starting to become really annoying.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 balfe1990

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="super600"]

super600

You're starting to become really annoying.

I reckon that's his aim?

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts
This something totally different then crysis and dead space 3 not making it over. If EA is throwing money out the window from port jobs like sports games, then they must really be salty about something with Nintendo if the origin thing isn't true.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KungfuKitten

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

No Origin! No EA GAMES!
What do you think?

Planeforger

At the very least, they're probably upset that they (presumably) can't sell Online Passes over Nintendo's download system.

For me it's just one more reason to support the system.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts
Does it matter? 99% of the software sold on Nintendo consoles is first party. Perception has become reality for Nintendo. Third party developers need to stop wasting their time developing games for the Wii U. Unless you are Mario, Metroid or Zelda, you are **** out of luck. It doesn't help that Nintendo completely ignored the requests of third party developers when designing the Wii U.