EA: Nintendo is too kiddy for us. We don't make kiddy games

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/446277/blog/nintendo-must-reinvent-itself/

"It became a kids IP platform and we don't really make games for kids. That was pretty true across the other labels too. Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business, and EA like Activision is only focused on games that can be big franchises".

wow they can't be more blunt than that

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Yeah, EA sucks.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@-Damien- said:

"It became a kids IP platform and we don't really make games for kids. That was pretty true across the other labels too. Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business, and EA like Activision is only focused on games that can be big franchises".

Yes. Even Call of Duty Ghost sold only 0.33% on Wii U while 99% on Xbox One, PS4 and PC

So yeah, every shooter, hardcore or great multiplatform game flops on Wii U. So why make games on Wii U when Nintendo fanboys only care about Mario And Zelda and buys nothing else?

Nobody make game on platform that gives you loss.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

@-Damien- said:

By that logic EA, you shouldn't have thrown a game out for 3DS and Wii either, you hypocrites.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

lol, that was rather blunt.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Ouch. That was a bit too direct.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Heil68 said:

I know right? Harsh but somewhat refreshing that they are being honest.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

At the end of the day it's a business decision and you can't blame them. Pretty blunt but the truth is better than a coddling lie.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

@locopatho said:

@Heil68 said:

I think we're going to do a podcast on this subject this Thursday...you free and want to join?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nintendoboy16

@locopatho said:

@Heil68 said:

How? They call the Wii U a "kids console" and yet somehow, someway, the 3DS and Wii (which they did recently release a game for) are not? This isn't honesty, this is hypocrisy.

@DocSanchez said:

At the end of the day it's a business decision and you can't blame them. Pretty blunt but the truth is better than a coddling lie.

Then why did they still release a Wii and 3DS game?

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33099 Posts

The WiiU version of Mass Effect 3 was not a solid effort. EA destroyed Mass effect 3's sale potential on the WiiU when they announced that trilogy complation for the 360,PS3,PC.And the game was kinda expensive.Also NFS Most Wanted U failed to because it was not a solid effort either even though it was the closest to one. EA also has produced kids games in the past couple of years.Also the article is pretty good even though that quote from an EA source was the worst part of the article. I agree with almost everything the article said.Nintendo does have the potential to modernize their company into something that fits the current video game market, but with their own idenitity.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

EA speak the truth.
They have made some of the best games last gen and will continue to do so next gen.

Suddenly, some people are hating EA now lol.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts
  1. Don't make kiddy games.
  2. They've made a number of kid friendly games. Granted, not as much anymore.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@Desmonic said:

EA should just be honest and admit they don't want to put in the effort simply because it won't sell. Using this crappy "kiddy" excuse is just dumb.

^This and I can't blame them because it wouldn't sell.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@g0ddyX said:

EA speak the truth.

They have made some of the best games last gen and will continue to do so next gen.

EA's last good game was Dragon Age Origins.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DocSanchez

@nintendoboy16: Why did they still release 3DS games and wii games? Probably because they hadn't learned the lesson yet with wii. I think the handheld market is entirely different and I have no idea whether their games sell on 3DS but if they don't I suspect, like with everything else, they will weigh up the cost of porting a game over against the likely sales.

Make no mistake about it: If EA thinks they can make tons of money by investing in Wii U, they invest in Wii U. There are more diplomatic ways of telling people that, but its a truth nonetheless. Their games sell atrociously on Nintendo main consoles.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

@g0ddyX said:

EA speak the truth.

Suddenly?

Suddenly?

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Wii U

Sniper Elite V2 - 10 000 copies

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - 40 000 copies

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist - 50 000 copies

Madden NFL 13 - 70 000 copies

Resident Evil: Revelations - 80 000 copies

Mass Effect 3 - 110 000 copies

Call of Duty: Ghosts - 120 000 copies

Batman: Arkham Origins - 140 000 copies

So yeah, all those games flopped on Wii U.

No point to make big games on Wii U when nobody buys and making you loss

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nintendoboy16

@DocSanchez said:

@nintendoboy16: Why did they still release 3DS games and wii games? Probably because they hadn't learned the lesson yet with wii. I think the handheld market is entirely different and I have no idea whether their games sell on 3DS but if they don't I suspect, like with everything else, they will weigh up the cost of porting a game over against the likely sales.

Make no mistake about it: If EA thinks they can make tons of money by investing in Wii U, they invest in Wii U. There are more diplomatic ways of telling people that, but its a truth nonetheless. Their games sell atrociously on Nintendo main consoles.

I don't blame EA if they feel their products won't sell. What I do blame them for is picking a statement that makes them look like hypocritical morons, and recently throwing a 3DS and Wii (two consoles that are seen as "kiddy" as any other Nintendo system) version of one of their sports titles justifies it.

Using a statement like that isn't the truth. If they would really tell the truth, they would just say "we don't see any Nintendo system as a profitable platform" and leave it at that.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

I hate when companies blame the market when their ports/spinoffs don't sell.

The reason ME3 didn't sell was because everyone already bought it, not because Wii U owners only like kiddy games.

Capcom pulled the same s*** on the Wii. They "tested the waters" by releasing a crappy RE rail shooter, then claimed a real RE game wouldn't sell when no one wanted it.

I swear some devs/pubs are retarded - they're the ones who decide who the system appeals to, not the console maker. If they want it to appeal to core gamers, then they should be putting core games on it. Instead, they've already made up their minds about what it is and refuse to make it any more appealing to their audience.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DocSanchez

@nintendoboy16: They're a business. What does it matter if they release wii games at this stage? They obviously see a profit in it that isnt there for wii u. That's a none issue.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nintendoboy16

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Wii U

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - 40 000 copies

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist - 50 000 copies

So yeah, all those games flopped on Wii U.

No point to make big games on Wii U when nobody buys and making you loss

That was Square Enix and Ubisoft's fault. Square Enix charged $50 for the Wii U version of Human Revolution for no good reason, especially since all the content of that version was on the other systems (which were cheaper on the PS3 and 360) anyway.

Splinter Cell was released at an awful time and bombed on ALL consoles, not just the Wii U. Why? That, and Rayman released around the same time as GTA V.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@locopatho said:

@Heil68 said:

How? They call the Wii U a "kids console" and yet somehow, someway, the 3DS and Wii (which they did recently release a game for) are not? This isn't honesty, this is hypocrisy.

@DocSanchez said:

Games were already in the pipeline, minimal costs to develop/publish and higher potential sales. Wii-U games don't sell and cost more to produce.

I think this post from Neogaf sums it up nicely.

People who dismiss specs with the "Graphics don't matter"-argument miss the point. Developers already moved their development processes and tools from current-gen to next-gen (and probably mobile). Long-term support for another current-gen system like the Wii U would disrupt this organizational situation and introduce unproportional costs. Entire games had to be redesigned from scratch to be implementable on the Wii U, since even core gameplay of next-gen games will rely on the processing power and memory capacity of those systems. Why would any developer do that?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nintendoboy16

@DocSanchez said:

@nintendoboy16: They're a business. What does it matter if they release wii games at this stage? They obviously see a profit in it that isnt there for wii u. That's a none issue.

Yet, that statement somehow signifies that "kiddie games/systems" aren't profitable to them (as the Wii and 3DS are signified under similar reception). Are you pretty much saying that EA's double standards are okay? Because you seem to be brushing that off quite easily.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#26 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

EA is dumb.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

I like their honesty.

And hey, it's true.

Ninty = kiddie crap

Inb4 butthurt sheep

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nintendoboy16

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@locopatho said:

@Heil68 said:

@DocSanchez said:

Games were already in the pipeline, minimal costs to develop/publish and higher potential sales. Wii-U games don't sell and cost more to produce.

I think this post from Neogaf sums it up nicely.

People who dismiss specs with the "Graphics don't matter"-argument miss the point. Developers already moved their development processes and tools from current-gen to next-gen (and probably mobile). Long-term support for another current-gen system like the Wii U would disrupt this organizational situation and introduce unproportional costs. Entire games had to be redesigned from scratch to be implementable on the Wii U, since even core gameplay of next-gen games will rely on the processing power and memory capacity of those systems. Why would any developer do that?

"Being in the pipeline" and "costing less on the previous gen platform/current gen handheld" doesn't stop them from being hypocrites for making that statement.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33099 Posts

The article talks about nintendo's future to TC.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MFDOOM1983

@nintendoboy16 said:

@DocSanchez said:

Yet, that statement somehow signifies that "kiddie games/systems" aren't profitable to them (as the Wii and 3DS are signified under similar reception). Are you pretty much saying that EA's double standards are okay? Because you seem to be brushing that off quite easily.

You're really grasping at straws here. EA feels that the games that they currently have in development for consoles/PC has limited appeal on Wii-U. This is based on their own software's sales on the platform and every other 3rd party title that has performed horribly. Perhaps this person at EA should have said low-skilled gamers like Iwata implied when he stated that competitors are targeting high skilled players and they weren't this past holiday season with titles such as: Mario, Wii fit and Wii sports. You're getting caught up on the word kiddy, instead of the underlining problem that Wii-u games don't sell and cost too much to make.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DocSanchez

@nintendoboy16: I'm neither brushing it off nor engaging with it. Talks of double standards in this area are for hurt feelings, and they are irrelevant. I'm talking in terms of business, which is what EA is.

I've already said they could be more diplomatic.That doesn't change the cold hard fact that not releasing anything on wii u is a good decision for them. And if they are releasing on wii still, there will be a reason for that.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nintendoboy16

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@DocSanchez said:

You're really grasping at straws here. EA feels that the games that they currently have in development for consoles/PC has limited appeal on Wii-U. This is based on their own software's sales on the platform and every other 3rd party title that has performed horribly. Perhaps this person at EA should have said low-skilled gamers like Iwata implied when he stated that competitors are targeting high skilled players and they weren't this past holiday season with titles such as: Mario, Wii fit and Wii sports. You're getting caught up on the word kiddy, instead of the underlining problem that Wii-u games don't sell and cost too much to make.

I'm not ignoring the fact that EA and many other third parties are having struggles selling their games on Wii U, but I'm calling EA out for showing their hypocritical stance on the matter, and you seem to be giving them a pass for it.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@g0ddyX said:

EA speak the truth.

Suddenly?

Suddenly?

That was neckbeards expressing their disapproval of the ME3 ending lol

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

EA released only Mass Effect 3 and didn't even bothered to port the first two games... Mass Effect is a game where you have to play the previous installments in order to progress the game story properly and understand what's going on. So were they really expecting it to sell?

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Boddicker

Ouch.

Nintendo really needs to change their image for their next console or it may be their last.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MFDOOM1983

@nintendoboy16: Yea, because associated costs with developing on a console with historically low software sales has nothing to do with their current support, or lack there of. 3ds and wii games are relatively cheap to make with limited risk. "Became" implies change. Perhaps that change never took place with 3ds and WII, and EA found out the hard way that games that target an older demographic have limited appeal on Wii-U, which is only amplified by the small userbase.

Seems like EA hurt your feelings.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nintendoboy16

@Boddicker said:

Ouch.

Nintendo really needs to change their image for their next console or it may be their last.

Which won't happen. The only way they can "change their image" is by killing off Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, and even that will start up a s*** storm from their own fandom.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#40 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@-Damien- said:

..."Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business".

THAT sentence shows just how out of touch EA is. Lemme get this straight, you release the last entry in a trilogy, which many believe to be the weakest in the series on the Wii U, while in the same month offering the ENTIRE trilogy bundled for other platforms for the same price and announcing that there are no plans to bring future DLC to the Wii U, and you have the audacity to bitch about sales? Would you buy the version of a product that gives you worse value than on other platforms? One that lacks features, DLC, and is sold for a higher price? No? Then why the **** would anyone else buy it??

The Wii U version of Mass Effect 3 is ridden with bugs and is severely underpatched. Lob that into the pile of reasons why many people didn't buy it. I have it. I've beaten it several times. Wii U specific features are nice, but that was never enough to save it from crappy business decisions on EA's part. The game never had to crash and burn like it did.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Boddicker

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Boddicker said:

Ouch.

Which won't happen. The only way they can "change their image" is by killing off Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, and even that will start up a s*** storm from their own fandom.

You're of course right. It's hard to see what Ninty's next console can offer beside these staples.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

This is business, it's nothing personal towards Nintendo. If it were MS or Sony that was'nt selling consoles and games, EA would have dropped them aswell.

Nintendo put themself in this position by developing two consoles that are'nt developer friendly, bad third party support due to low processing power, and the kids games image. They were lucky with the Wii in terms of sales, but they can't trick people twice.

It's important that consoles continue to increase in processing power as the technology gets more advanced.Nintendo tries to hold everything back, which is wrong. Developers want to work with new and powerfull tech, and we gamers want new tech that improves games.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DocSanchez

@PhazonBlazer: Haha. That was a classic. All of the problems with the wii u spelled out in one advert. They had learned nothing.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nintendoboy16

@Martin_G_N said:

This is business, it's nothing personal towards Nintendo. If it were MS or Sony that was'nt selling consoles and games, EA would have dropped them aswell.

Nintendo put themself in this position by developing two consoles that are'nt developer friendly, bad third party support due to low processing power, and the kids games image. They were lucky with the Wii in terms of sales, but they can't trick people twice.

It's important that consoles continue to increase in processing power as the technology gets more advanced.Nintendo tries to hold everything back, which is wrong. Developers want to work with new and powerfull tech, and we gamers want new tech that improves games.

Sure it isn't personal, considering they also say that "Nintendo is dead to them" before they make that damn statement. Explain how that isn't personal?

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

"EA SUCKS. We dont even want their shitty games on the Wii U!!!!* "

*or Activision, Square Enix, Eidos, Take Two, Rockstar, Konami, or pretty much EVERY publisher except Ubisoft.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

EA preach on brah can I get a amen.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Ouch. That was a bit too direct.

Nintendrones just got Nintendowned Cool

Except for @princessgomez92 (Please don't hurt me!) Crying or Very sad

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DocSanchez

@StrongDeadlift: I predict you'll be throwing in Ubisoft before long. Every time a developer or publisher says something similar the rhetoric is the same. "we don't need blahsoft they suck!"

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Ouch, TSHBO

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

This reeks of self fulfilling prophecy bullshit.

"Mass effect was a major effort guys, dumping the game in the wii u at full price with none of the collector edition content was really hard work"