EA just cross the line! Charging $5 for demos

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

When EA does it it's bad, when Kojima does it for $30 it's good

Okay

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts
@alcapello said:

This isn't something we can point fingers at EA for.

Sony complimented it PS1 with a demo full of wonderful games, some of which I thoroughly enjoy personally, btw.

However, when did this trend stop? Well, the answer is not when Sega exited. I'll just leave you with that....

You're right. It started with GT Prologue games.

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

Even for EA this would have been ludicrous.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Because they know XBOX players are idiots. Shit, I remember some image posted to /r/pcmasterrace where some lemming was bitching about how you can change your steam name for free, and that it should require money to change the name just like XBLA. Even Notch practices this sort of shit--takes a bunch of skins that some modder could come up with in an hour, packages them together, and charges $5 for that shit on XBLA. They know console people will gobble down that dick.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

@SUD123456 said:
@alcapello said:

This isn't something we can point fingers at EA for.

Sony complimented it PS1 with a demo full of wonderful games, some of which I thoroughly enjoy personally, btw.

However, when did this trend stop? Well, the answer is not when Sega exited. I'll just leave you with that....

You're right. It started with GT Prologue games.

They will deliver more cars for the inconvenience..

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

What scumbags! I can happily say I have not given a single dime to these dumbfucks for a few years now. I'll be continuing to do so forever most likely, nothing they make is worth their douchebaggery.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#57 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

What the **** is this shit?

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Is anyone truly surprised by this? I mean they already charge for cheat codes now they want to charge you to find out if you like their game or not, that way if you don't they still get money.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

**** them, just pirate their games and get an extended demo that way.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I blame all the people that paid for the MGSV demo. EA must have realize that gamers are even bigger idiots than what they initially thought.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#61 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Gue1 said:

I blame all the people that paid for the MGSV demo. EA must have realize that gamers are even bigger idiots than what they initially thought.

Exactly my thoughts .

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

lol consoles

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@Gue1 said:

There is only one to blame. You as gamers, if you support these underhanded tactics. I believe this was a pricing error when EA is involved, as much as I believe in the tooth fairy.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

"just crossed the line"? that was like 10 years ago

Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By delete-SimplyFatal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

The demos have been out for a while. I see no reason why they would make this mistake. Obviously, these demos are a big hit, so they wanted to try out a new business ethic. But, it didn't work so FREE AGAIN. SORRY FOR THE MISTAKE EVERYONE.

I really feel sorry for the people buying games from EA, Ubisoft, and Activision. Doesn't matter if you're on PC, PS4, or XBOX. All of you are just easily brainwashed.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Normally I would give someone the benefit of doubt but this is EA so I will assume they were testing the waters here. I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#67 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

@HaloinventedFPS said:

When EA does it it's bad, when Kojima does it for $30 it's good

Okay

No, even Kojima didn't get a pass to many.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@SimplyFatal said:

The demos have been out for a while. I see no reason why they would make this mistake. Obviously, these demos are a big hit, so they wanted to try out a new business ethic. But, it didn't work so FREE AGAIN. SORRY FOR THE MISTAKE EVERYONE.

I really feel sorry for the people buying games from EA, Ubisoft, and Activision. Doesn't matter if you're on PC, PS4, or XBOX. All of you are just easily brainwashed.

What a dumb conspiracy theory.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

I wonder if those who are outraged by a priced demo are also outraged by early access games.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#71 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Charging $5 for a demo seems like a brilliant idea from a companies perspective to me... Maybe add a little more content and also add to the amount of overall sales because some people wont want to pay $5 which will add to the amount they want the full release. People want what they cant have (kids and adults). Personally those complaining about $5 is pretty funny to me... I mean $5? Breaking the bank.... Now, before you bust a gasket... sure, I know it's principle, but it isn't like you would have to buy the demo or anything just like a lot of people would not download it if it is free... It's not like if this method began to work that every other company wouldn't follow in pursuit. The reason we don't have the number of games now that we had a couple generations back is because of the huge production values of games.

It amuses me how many people around here constantly bash indies and indie devs, and then bitch about paying $5 for a full fledged demo. Am I saying EA is right? lol... well no, not exactly. I feel you shouldn't have to pay either, but it is highly hypocritical to complain about an increasing number of indies when people can do things that ensure future success of a company. So many great game companies have closed their doors over the past few years. Something like this could have really helped a few of the smaller ones.

Sure, it isn't any one persons responsibility to keep the industry afloat, but how many people here would pay $20... not even just $5 for their favorite game companies demo if they knew that company was struggling and needed a boost? I know I sure as hell would. I understand the whole "dude.. it's EA" thing... trust me, I get it...

However, I just don't get why people feel entitled to everything these days and wonder why gaming has taken a turn for the worse. Production values of games wouldn't be nearly as high if people would stop putting such a high emphasis on graphics and AAA productions and worry more about gameplay, solid mechanics, and a great storyline. Whatever though... Save the comments if you cant comprehend the other side of the ball. There is more than one way to view every situation... being shortsighted wont help anything. We used to pay for demos in the form of disc based content. Now before anyone says that is to cover the cost of physical media.... lets not even get into that argument, because I know how most of the people here have no problem paying full price for DL only material. A lot of PC gamers excluded because you can find good deals out there most of the time. ;) (*note* I didn't say all, just most).

Once again, I understand the principle of the matter, and if they were charging $15 no one would buy it in the first place... well, not many at least. It's as simple as "if you don't want it, don't buy it." If it winds up hurting the company more than it helps they will change policies. Look no further than MS with the XB1 for any references.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

But... but... but they're a company trying to make money!

... Thats the excuse most Blizzard fans use to defend the company, may work for EA.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#73  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

Well, to be fair, PlayStation Now led the charge on this one.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:

Charging $5 for a demo seems like a brilliant idea from a companies perspective to me... Maybe add a little more content and also add to the amount of overall sales because some people wont want to pay $5 which will add to the amount they want the full release. People want what they cant have (kids and adults). Personally those complaining about $5 is pretty funny to me... I mean $5? Breaking the bank.... Now, before you bust a gasket... sure, I know it's principle, but it isn't like you would have to buy the demo or anything just like a lot of people would not download it if it is free... It's not like if this method began to work that every other company wouldn't follow in pursuit. The reason we don't have the number of games now that we had a couple generations back is because of the huge production values of games.

It amuses me how many people around here constantly bash indies and indie devs, and then bitch about paying $5 for a full fledged demo. Am I saying EA is right? lol... well no, not exactly. I feel you shouldn't have to pay either, but it is highly hypocritical to complain about an increasing number of indies when people can do things that ensure future success of a company. So many great game companies have closed their doors over the past few years. Something like this could have really helped a few of the smaller ones.

Sure, it isn't any one persons responsibility to keep the industry afloat, but how many people here would pay $20... not even just $5 for their favorite game companies demo if they knew that company was struggling and needed a boost? I know I sure as hell would. I understand the whole "dude.. it's EA" thing... trust me, I get it...

However, I just don't get why people feel entitled to everything these days and wonder why gaming has taken a turn for the worse. Production values of games wouldn't be nearly as high if people would stop putting such a high emphasis on graphics and AAA productions and worry more about gameplay, solid mechanics, and a great storyline. Whatever though... Save the comments if you cant comprehend the other side of the ball. There is more than one way to view every situation... being shortsighted wont help anything. We used to pay for demos in the form of disc based content. Now before anyone says that is to cover the cost of physical media.... lets not even get into that argument, because I know how most of the people here have no problem paying full price for DL only material. A lot of PC gamers excluded because you can find good deals out there most of the time. ;) (*note* I didn't say all, just most).

Once again, I understand the principle of the matter, and if they were charging $15 no one would buy it in the first place... well, not many at least. It's as simple as "if you don't want it, don't buy it." If it winds up hurting the company more than it helps they will change policies. Look no further than MS with the XB1 for any references.

IF you pay $5 for the demo you going get $5 off the actual game if you like it? NOPE

$5 is a lot of money for 10 -20 minutes of nothing

EA started the online pass, quickly ubi, thq, sony, etc followed suit

@lamprey263 said:

Well, to be fair, PlayStation Now led the charge on this one.

LAWLS ya thats pretty bad,

A: give it away free because they are testing it

B: put the prices up, but say hey when this is over all money will go back to your account

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

They have to make money off the XBone somehow. Dat Titanflop.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

LOL. Get money EA. I won't be buying but props to them for leading zombie consumer lambs to the slaughter.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

The pricing was an error.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/4/5870363/xbox-one-ea-charges-for-fifa-14-ea-sports-ufc-demos-error

Exactly what I was thinking. I played the UFC demo for free on the PS4 (naturally).

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Shewgenja

I just like how XBox fans that were making excuses for the original DRM are now drawing lines in the sand. It's REALLY REALLY funny when you consider it.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I just like how XBox fans that were making excuses for the original DRM are now drawing lines in the sand. It's REALLY REALLY funny when you consider it.

What is it with you and Xbox/Lems?

So annoying...

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#81 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Of course only on Xbox One.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Shewgenja

@navyguy21 said:

@Shewgenja said:

What is it with you and Xbox/Lems?

So annoying...

It's a shit fanbase for a shit console. Any other questions?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#83  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Nah, the line was just moved back $5.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#84  Edited By Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

You don't even need demos with EA games. You already know what the gameplay is.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#85  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
@SambaLele said:

No. EA crossed another line. And there'll be enough people to buy into this and let yet another abusive business practice become norm... Hope I'm wrong.

No, EA hasn't crossed a line yet. They want to. They want this to end. They've been begging to finish the race, "We've won!" they've shouted, "please just put your prize horse out to pasture," but the internet says "NO!" They're not willing to let them win. The internet still wants to throw money into the betting pool that is the company, so every time EA is about to be finished for good. The inernet says, "well we see you're done and we're cheering, we really are, for it to be over, but that was only the first lap. You still have another one to go." The internet said that 50 laps ago.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#86 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

They just raised the price of PC games in Canada as well, the normal edition of Hardline is 70 bucks here. This is when the normal price of PC games is traditionally 50 dollars.

Avatar image for danyopizlesgirl
Danyopizlesgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Danyopizlesgirl
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Were you signed OP? I loaded the links you provided and on both of them they are free for me.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

They just raised the price of PC games in Canada as well, the normal edition of Hardline is 70 bucks here. This is when the normal price of PC games is traditionally 50 dollars.

Really? Man that sucks I mean we have console prices going up and now PC games as well. I guess that's why Steam is great.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Nothing to see here but the exaggerations. It's an error. I downloaded the demo free when it first came out and when you're signed in or on your Xbox One it shows up free. But this error doesn't change the fact EA suck sometimes.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#90 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

What's next? Do we have to pay $5 to see the box art?

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Already fixed, close thread but not before laughing at the fanboys jumping on this error with a quickness lol. Laugh at people paying for backward compatibility I mean PS Now instead.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2chn3m.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/wplc4.jpg

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I have no idea why people are up in a roar about this, remember when game mags charged you 5.99-7.99 for a demo back in the 90's or did people just space out?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

lol. It all turns out to be an error and this is SW's reaction when proven wrong: WELL THEY COULDA' DUN IT!

Morons. rofl.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Shewgenja

@gago-gago said:

Already fixed, close thread but not before laughing at the fanboys jumping on this error with a quickness lol. Laugh at people paying for backward compatibility I mean PS Now instead.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2chn3m.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/wplc4.jpg

Way to not even link the pics much less embed them in the post.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

I have no idea why people are up in a roar about this, remember when game mags charged you 5.99-7.99 for a demo back in the 90's or did people just space out?

i dont know about you, but I paid that much for the magazines themselves (the demos were free bonuses) and the disks typically had a few different games on them.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Konami got away with charging $30 for a demo. It is only common sense that other companies would follow suit.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#97 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I'd rather pay $5 and realise I don't like it rather than wasting $80 or $90.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

If you don't like what EA is doing then stop giving them money. Company WILL respond when the money stops flowing. So many great games to play that are not made by EA, so take your cash else ware.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Is this just for one game? if so, I guess they're cashing in on Fifa because of the world cup?

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

You're talking about those DVD's that came with the mags? People spent the $6 on the magazine itself (like all mags of any topic had a cost) and that demo DVD was a free inclusion.