EA Has Secured Rights to Titanfall Franchise

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lazerface216 (7497 posts) -

linky

Electronic Arts has secured sequel rights for Respawn Entertainment's multiplayer shooter Titanfall, a reputable source has informed GameSpot.

The option to land Titanfall 2 was based on the performance of the original, our source said. Official sales data is not available, but from what we're hearing, Titanfall has performed well and even helped boost Xbox One sales. Wealready know that's true in the UK.

An EA representative told GameSpot, "We do not comment on rumor or speculation. Right now all our focus is on supporting all the fans worldwide enjoying Titanfall."

The original Titanfall is available only on Xbox and PC platforms. Terms of EA's agreement to publish Titanfall 2 are not clear, so we don't know yet if PlayStation and/or Nintendo fans will get a crack at the rumored next game in the series.

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said previously that he is "sure" that potential sequels to Titanfall could come to PlayStation and/or Nintendo platforms.

so......ps4 gamers will presumably be able to play a more fleshed out titanfall experience in the forseeable future.

#2 Posted by lostrib (36925 posts) -

was there really any doubt?

#3 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

sorry to hear that..

#4 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14072 posts) -

MS must have some rustled jimmies right about now. I really thought they were going to buy the IP outright with how much attention they gave it.

#5 Posted by Obviously_Right (5095 posts) -

Oh dear.

inb4 Zampella bails again.

#6 Posted by Animal-Mother (26945 posts) -

PS4 Titanfall 2 imminent. Regardless it's a great game shame PS4 owners have to miss out. But EA isn't gonna miss out on a bigger crapload of money.

#7 Posted by Bishop1310 (1091 posts) -

Good News for all if true. It's a game that should be enjoyed on all platforms. (leave fan boyism bs at the door fan boys).

#8 Edited by Masculus (2858 posts) -

Wonder how will Activision fare will the newfound competition.

#9 Posted by DaBrainz (7662 posts) -

They are making a sequel, what's the problem?

#10 Posted by nini200 (9798 posts) -

Oh I can't wait to see the Playstatin fanboys hypocritical statements by saying Titanfall is great now that they have it lol

I am anxiously waiting for that glorious day lol

#11 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3195 posts) -

This board is like NeoGaf on a 45 minute delay. And it's funny because it's a Gamespot article.

#12 Edited by MBirdy88 (8212 posts) -

Sigh....

It will go multiplat... great.

It will now have limited content updates, pleanty of friggin map packs... and little to no creative future... BAD.

#13 Posted by wolverine4262 (19312 posts) -

Titanfall on Wii U

#14 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14072 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

It will now have limited content updates, pleanty of friggin map packs... and little to no creative future... BAD.

It's always been a multiplat.

#15 Posted by Desmonic (14049 posts) -

Wait... rights to publish or rights to the IP?

#16 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3195 posts) -
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

Yeah I'm not sure why there is still confusion over this..... Then again a few folks were trying to argue that MLB The Show 14 is exclusive.

#17 Edited by Obviously_Right (5095 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

Game wasn't creative in the first place :S

#18 Posted by Animal-Mother (26945 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Well EA published titanfall so i'm assuming the IP rights

#19 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Meh. EA knows they done f'd up not putting TitanCoD, I mean Fall, on p4.

Didn't matter to me. Never owned a CoD title...don't plan on doing it anytime either...even if it does have mechs now.

#20 Edited by MBirdy88 (8212 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

You know what I mean.

#21 Edited by MBirdy88 (8212 posts) -

@Obviously_Right said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

No not at all... right yea...

It didn't

1) bring back verticle play which 100% of the pathetic modern shooters removed for casual chavs)

2) Meld Pilot and Mech combat into one very balanced and fresh experience.

3) include bots in a moba like format that actually add quite abit of value to the experience.

ok sir... it did nothing creative for the genre... it made yet another cod/bf/kills*it ect.

no game is creative unless it invents 100% new concepts? right? yeeesh.

#22 Posted by Desmonic (14049 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@Desmonic said:

Interesting... so Respawn basically is now in the same exact position IW is/was with Activision? I'd assume they would want to avoid that for a long as they could..

#23 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14072 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

You know what I mean.

Why would the game coming to ps4 effect it negatively?

#24 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7103 posts) -

Don't forget about the EA/Microsoft partnership. Eddie left that out of his cow based article.

#25 Edited by misterpmedia (3387 posts) -

Here's an interesting post I read one time ;)

"Looking at the list:

Origin

Bullfrog

Maxis

Westwood

DICE

Criterion

Bioware

Pandemic

PopCap

They have either destroyed or marginalized a lot of devs they've acquired. It keeps happening and I don't understand why any developer would sell out to EA given their track record."

Respawn. RIP.

#26 Edited by mems_1224 (47128 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

Dont forget microtransactions!

#27 Edited by MBirdy88 (8212 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

You know what I mean.

... I did't say it would... I said "great"... the second part is the bad.

@misterpmedia said it best.... everything EA aquires turns into crap.

This is an MP shooter.

Which now means under EA they will have no option to be creative, microtransactions..... and we will see a new titanfall every godamn year instead of updating the one that we bought for £50 + a season pass.

#28 Edited by mems_1224 (47128 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

You know what I mean.

I could be wrong but I think he's talking about EA owning the property.....

#29 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

By the time Titanfall 2 is released Microsoft and Sony will both already have some really great exclusives out so it doesn't matter. All that matters is that as of right now you can't get Titanfall on a Sony console.

#30 Edited by pelvist (4801 posts) -

Maybe they can release Titanfall HD on PC and PS4.

#31 Posted by Animal-Mother (26945 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@Desmonic said:

Interesting... so Respawn basically is now in the same exact position IW is/was with Activision? I'd assume they would want to avoid that for a long as they could..

Well Respawn may still be a second party developer to EA. Not being owned but being locked into a contract for X amount of time.

#32 Posted by freedomfreak (40550 posts) -
@nini200 said:

Oh I can't wait to see the Playstatin fanboys hypocritical statements by saying Titanfall is great now that they have it lol

No, no, no, no!

The current Titanfall is COD with mechs. The next one will be glorious!

#33 Posted by Animal-Mother (26945 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@nini200 said:

No, no, no, no!

The current Titanfall is COD with mechs. The next one will be glorious!

Titanfall IS MW4 with mechs and vertical gameplay. It's good. But it's just done something that's been done better.

#34 Posted by lazerface216 (7497 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

You know what I mean.

LMAO even pc fanboys disregard their own platform. this is golden.

#35 Edited by bobbetybob (19271 posts) -
@nini200 said:

"The first one is shit, the second one is amazing because they improved a few things"

#36 Edited by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

I see some similarities with the Mass Effect franchise here, I wouldn't be surprised if TItanfall 2 ends up being a timed exclusive for Xbox, with it eventually coming to Playstation, then all other Titanfall games are released simultaneously on both consoles.

#37 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Titanfall 2 confirmed to be favorite game of cows

#38 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14072 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

You know what I mean.

I could be wrong but I think he's talking about EA owning the property.....

That makes more sense I guess, I just saw the word Multiplat followed by reasons it'll suck so I assumed it was because of that :P

#39 Posted by Chutebox (37214 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Obviously_Right said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

No not at all... right yea...

It didn't

3) include bots in a moba like format that actually add quite abit of value to the experience.

Wha??? Bots add nothing to the experience. Nothing.

#40 Edited by wis3boi (31373 posts) -

DLC whoring inbound

#41 Posted by freedomfreak (40550 posts) -
@Animal-Mother said:

Titanfall IS MW4 with mechs and vertical gameplay. It's good. But it's just done something that's been done better.

It blends the elements of gunplay, mech combat, and parcour into one beautiful, balanced, crazy first person party.

99% of games have been done before. What matters is how they improve and play around with those ideas which is something Titanfall succeeds at.

Sure is a nice breathe of fresh air compared to the usual multiplayer FPS games that we've grown accustomed to.

#42 Posted by MBirdy88 (8212 posts) -

@lazerface216 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

You know what I mean.

... I meant that its good its coming to more people. not the exclusion of the PC version.

God my wording was not hard to understand. talk about wanting to see things that are not there.

#43 Posted by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

@wolverine4262 said:

Titanfall on Wii U

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Titanfall isn't exactly pushing boundaries to next gen.

#44 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3195 posts) -

@lazerface216 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sigh....

You know what I mean.

Your icon is god awful. I'm suprised your keyboard has the letter "M" on it still.

#45 Posted by wolverine4262 (19312 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Titanfall isn't exactly pushing boundaries to next gen.

So? Who is going to buy it on the Wii U? Does it even have the online infrastructure to support it?

#46 Posted by Animal-Mother (26945 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@Animal-Mother said:

It blends the elements of gunplay, mech combat, and parcour into one beautiful, balanced, crazy first person party.

99% of games have been done before. What matters is how they improve and play around with those ideas which is something Titanfall succeeds at.

Sure is a nice breathe of fresh air compared to the usual multiplayer FPS games that we've grown accustomed to.

Exactly what I meant to say :P

#47 Posted by Animal-Mother (26945 posts) -

@wolverine4262 said:

@Joedgabe said:

So? Who is going to buy it on the Wii U? Does it even have the online infrastructure to support it?

EA's not gonna release anything aside from sports games after the origin fallout.

#48 Posted by nini200 (9798 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@nini200 said:

"The first one is shit, the second one is amazing because they improved a few things"

Yeah they made it compatible with a playstation controller lol

#49 Posted by Desmonic (14049 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@Desmonic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@Desmonic said:

Well Respawn may still be a second party developer to EA. Not being owned but being locked into a contract for X amount of time.

Still, they lost control of the IP and are now in a place where EA can f*ck them over, just like Acti did. Just weird to see them follow the same exact path soo soon.

#50 Edited by wolverine4262 (19312 posts) -

@Animal-Mother:

Origin fallout?