EA: Dungeon Keeper Failed by "Innovating Too Much"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

People just weren't ready for the mobile game, according to EA exec.

EA's free-to-play reboot of the classic Dungeon Keepercould have gone better, to say the least. It used the beloved franchise as a skinsuit for a sleazy cash grab. Not only was it panned, but it also sank its developer, Mythic. Six months later, the company is still dealing with the fallout. While EA CEO Andrew WIlson recently apologized for the whole thing, saying it was wrong, Frank Gibeau, EA's head of mobile, has gone the other direction and speculated that audiences just weren't ready for it yet.

"Dungeon Keeper suffered from a few things," Gibeau told Games Industry. "I think we might have innovated too much or tried some different things that people just weren't ready for... I don't think we did a particularly good job marketing it or talking to fans about their expectations for what Dungeon Keeper was going to be or ultimately should be."

While Dungeon Keeper ended up killing veteran developer Mythic, EA will still maintain the game because of its commitment to players. As Gibeau said, "[W]hen you bring in a group of people to Dungeon Keeper and you serve them, create a live service, a relationship and a connection, you just can't pull the rug out from under them. That's just not fair."

It should be noted that EA can no longer legally market the game as free in Europe, due to its crazy amount of in-app purchases. At this point, it's likely best if EA just stops talking about Dungeon Keeper all together and moves on.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2 speedfreak48t5p  Online
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

This is just sad, even by EA standards. They are clearly delusional.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

An 8 year old could do better PR spin.

"ready for"

Implying they will attempt to continue doing it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

I wish I could break into EA and steal all of their IP.

They obviously don't know how to handle them anymore.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

EA's mobile games are just some of the crappiest games ever made. I guess you could call that innovation.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Good Jim Sterling video on the subject

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I hope BF: Hardline doesn't do so hot and forces change at EA.

Edit: But it'll probably still sells loads and nothing will change.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shielder7

@uninspiredcup said:

Good Jim Sterling video on the subject

More than a few, but even I don't think he would of expected EA to defend DK with the excuse they innovated too much.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

The developer who ruined Dungeon Keeper also ruined Ultima.

I don't like celebrating someone's downfall all that much but a change in direction is needed. You want to steal from people do it with a new franchise not one of our precious ones. Ultima wasn't yours to ruin.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shielder7

@DocSanchez said:

The developer who ruined Dungeon Keeper also ruined Ultima.

I don't like celebrating someone's downfall all that much but a change in direction is needed. You want to steal from people do it with a new franchise not one of our precious ones. Ultima wasn't yours to ruin.

They ruin far more than Ultima..............

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Sounds like MS and their DRM console.
Kick the whale in the knees till it bends over?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DocSanchez

@Shielder7: Was talking specifically about Mythic. EA are a real cancer on the industry obviously. Whilst they publish some of my favourite games, I'd gladly sacrifice their sequels in order to see the back of EA.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14  Edited By speedfreak48t5p  Online
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

Completely relevant to the thread. And no false information either. Brilliant post.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#15 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Was Dungeon Keeper fun at all? Doesn't sound like it was.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup  Online

@LegatoSkyheart said:

The original was a classic. When games use to be creative and full of substance as opposed to barely playable movie games designed by marketers rather than artists.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

That's some sick ****.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

This is why I laugh when people claim "mobile gaming is taking over", that's not gonna happen anytime soon, not when crap like this keeps happening and no one in the mobile userbase does jack about it

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KungfuKitten

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Completely relevant to the thread. And no false information either. Brilliant post.

"We just think that's the way the future's gonna go," he said. "We may have been right. What we were wrong about was that it's just too soon. People just weren't ready to make that leap right away."

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17673 Posts

I had read somewhere that DK was raking in the money. Good to know otherwise. Not that it's going to do anything to help drag its rotting corpse off of EA's huge pile of ruined IPs and developers.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

No EA I think Greed made Dungeon Keeper unplayable, one block a day and that pricing was so bad, awful company at the moment EA except from Fifa and maybe a couple of other games, there not even bothered about quality anymore it's more about get as much money as we can no matter what.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

EA should fire the team of monkeys responsible for making the design of this game. Innovation, my ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Fvck you EA for ruining a classic game series that hasn't had a real spiritual successor or sequel since DK2.. This is what is wrong with the gaming industry, we have a bunch of executive hacks who have little clue about gaming and run it off of reading charts of the successful games out there and trying to copy it to push forward immediate profits to keep shareholders appeased. They don't care if the game is successful even if they were to make it.. They are specifically looking for the biggest cash grab out there and they will rape and pillage any franchise to do it.. What is going to happen with these companies doing this is people are not going to buy into it any more and we are going to see the industry crash.. I miss the days when selling a few hundred thousand copies of a good game was considered a big success for a dev, in which they cultivated this niche market for years to come.. Now all of a sudden a game must sell millions upon millions of copies to be deemed successful.. This is going to destroy the main market.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I still laugh when people claim that mobile gaming is a legitimate medium. Sure, there are a couple gems floating below the surface... but in an ocean of trash.

Mobile gaming will never be a serious form of gaming until developers stop with the microtransactions.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Too much innovation does have an element of truth. Broken microtransactions and listening to shareholders can count for innovation.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DocSanchez

@foxhound_fox: At one point, it looked like it might be. It had a vibe like the early 80s spectrum and c64. Plenty of tiny developer games which were small, barking mad, innovative and cheap. Even the lamented angry birds was in this category. 69p for that. Decent versions of classic puzzle games too. It changed.

It's where the most obnoxious practises in the industry have taken over the swiftest. Just one look on the app store is like staring into a trash can. Free to play, free to play, free to play, scam, free to play. Where free is, bloody expensive, continuously, for **** all. A cash grab forcing you to pay over and over just to make progress.

It wasn't always this way, but it started to creep in and now, there really isn't any point even visiting any app stores.

The practises are like going to a cinema, and having to pay £5 every ten minutes to carry on watching. The audiences wouldn't stand for it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@foxhound_fox said:

I still laugh when people claim that mobile gaming is a legitimate medium. Sure, there are a couple gems floating below the surface... but in an ocean of trash.

Mobile gaming will never be a serious form of gaming until developers stop with the microtransactions.

It seems to almost lay purely with publishers attempting to take people for a ride. Games like Baldurs Gate are proof we can have deep, complex hardcore games (more hardcore than any home console title) on tablet and mobiles.

Whatever possibilities exist for actual good gaming is just being shat away by a bunch of chancing cunts.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Both were quite fun although I prefer DK2 over the first. It's one of the few games that finally tore me away from Quake 2 MP.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shielder7

@roler42 said:

This is why I laugh when people claim "mobile gaming is taking over", that's not gonna happen anytime soon, not when crap like this keeps happening and no one in the mobile userbase does jack about it

Your argument is contradicted by the fact there are games just as bad as this on Steam and EA will undoubtedly try this on main stream gaming. It's only a matter of time.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@Shielder7: And yet no one truly plays those games, the only exception to the rule has been War Z/infestation, after that, any other shitty mobile/indie/p2w game has been documented to be either not sold or have no one play it at all, making them effective flops

Meanwhile the mobile market is stacking with those games and with no other alternatives but cheap knock offs of well known titles

There are bad games everywhere, the consoles are just as infested with shitty indie games and pay 2 win ripoffs as the PC is, trying to claim there's shitty games in one platform contradicts nothing from my argument

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#33  Edited By Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1583 Posts

Dungeon Keeper failed because EA touched it. The game is nowhere near the original from what i've seen. 24hours to build a room, spend actual money to do it quicker. Hell no!, it's a rip off!

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#34 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41558 Posts

No EA, it failed, because you used microtransactions ala Square Enix.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Between cash grabs and "appealing to a wider audience" EA surely must be under fire from the bosses up top to fix the situation, they own enough IPs to appeal to everyone except they just don't realize they can't appeal everyone for every IP. Get a grip EA because blaming the gamers can't always be your get out card "weren't ready for".

Gimme a break.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Hilarious. At least with the Xbox One when they said people weren't ready I could sort of see where they were coming from, a digital future is inevitable they were just too early with it and they didn't explain family sharing and that stuff properly.

With Dungeon Keeper where was the innovation? The fact that you get to play 10 minutes of gameplay over the course of a week whilst you wait for all your shitty gems or whatever to come back? What is that people weren't understanding? Nothing. This is just another example of an idiotic higher up at a big company who is completely out of touch with what normal people want.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

People just weren't ready to be fucked in the ass quite yet.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 uninspiredcup  Online

@melonfarmerz said:

People just weren't ready to be fucked in the ass quite yet.

I'm sure (like with DLC, preorder items and DRM) when they spam it enough, and enough of their greedybrethren on board, we will be ready.

This seems to be partly what next generation consoles was about. Not new exciting games but rather an attempt to push micro-transactions as standard by simply implementing them in as many anticipated IP's as possible at the worlds largest game event.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup  Online

@JohnF111 said:

Between cash grabs and "appealing to a wider audience" EA surely must be under fire from the bosses up top to fix the situation, they own enough IPs to appeal to everyone except they just don't realize they can't appeal everyone for every IP. Get a grip EA because blaming the gamers can't always be your get out card "weren't ready for".

Gimme a break.

Yeah I don't understand it, what is with companies trying to get me to buy their stuff for inflated prices? It's like they do it on purpose knowing I'm paying them more money than it costs to create and the maintain the product. It's quite uncanny.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

"free to play"

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4236 Posts

"Innovating too much."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, truly made me LOL on the inside. This will make me smile for the next hour. EA should go into stand up comedy.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

"It's late, go to bed!"

DK and DK2 were awesome games that gave players hours of fun and entertainment, unfortunately this mobile travesty ruins what came before it. EA, and most large publishers, are only interested in fleecing potential customers at the expense of interesting IP's and good developers. However nothing will change as long as gamers are willing to pay for annual rehashes, DLC (map packs not proper expansions) and micro-transactions where none are necessary or warranted.

F2P games do need micro-transactions as the game development and support need to be paid for and profit made but I only agree with these where they do not create a pay 2 win situation or you cannot progress with a game without hitting a pay wall.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Lulz, EA go **** yourselves. No sale!

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

Yeah. Guess Jordan Belfort also failed by innovating too much.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@GarGx1 said:

F2P games do need micro-transactions as the game development and support need to be paid for and profit made but I only agree with these where they do not create a pay 2 win situation or you cannot progress with a game without hitting a pay wall.

This is a rather silly billy qeastion but... does the game actually need to be free2play in the first place?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@GarGx1 said:

This is a rather silly billy qeastion but... does the game actually need to be free2play in the first place?

That's probably something only a developer or publisher can answer but the most popular games in world, at the moment, are free to play. Oddly they also don't have a pay wall or are regarded as pay to win. The micro-transactions that fund them are for cosmetic fluff. (DoTA2 and LoL)

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KungfuKitten

EA: "People just weren't ready for the 3rd Reich."

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@JohnF111 said:

Gimme a break.

Yeah I don't understand it, what is with companies trying to get me to buy their stuff for inflated prices? It's like they do it on purpose knowing I'm paying them more money than it costs to create and the maintain the product. It's quite uncanny.

Are you seeing this(what's happened to our posts)?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
@KungfuKitten said:

EA: "People just weren't ready for the 3rd Reich."

Nice, I'm glad people like you exist so when civilization falls people like me can sit back and watch idiots like you eat each other.