EA conference on PS4 (Summary in OP)

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

Thanks to gaf

Listen to the webcast

Update:
Apparently they mispoke about the price.

Important to note, they said afterwards that they mispoke about pricepoints, and he mean to say $60 and $50, rather than $70 and $60.

UPDATE: Summary by Examiner

• They have never been more prepaired or ready for a new console launch
  • Giant leap for the industry, every step and function. "Between 8 & 10 times the power of current generation."
  • Not limited to current generation "1080p, 60 fps, camera IQ"
  • All of internal software will work flawlessly.
  • What used to take months will now "take days" to do.
  • Seeing new ways to approach current IP's and new IP's.
  • The ability to have cross platform play, will open up new consumer base.
  • EA has slimmed down their lineup from 85 games to 15 core titles
  • Allows stream lining the backbone of game creation
  • Sony and Microsoft in-line for their transition will reduce cost of production
  • 5% to 10% increase in cost of production on current games.
  • No pricing on retail games set, but you may see a trend of "$69.99" at start and dropping down to $59.99 similar to the beginning of the current generation.
  • Saving time and money in comparison to the roadmap they set up last year.
  • Data collected on gamers through created technology and algorithms allow them to engage the players.
  • Gross margin as gone from 55% in 2010 to 55-65% range currently.
  • Due to the transition into the digital world from boxed gaming.
  • Discussed the progression and advantage of the PS4 in regards to downloading games
  • Many more opportunities in "always on" connected gaming
  • The focus is always focused on the "consumer experience"
  • Discussion of margins in regards to digital expansion packs and the margins it drives
  • Doing so builds an actual community, and overall over time, more profitability
  • Building into all games micro-transaction: "Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business"
  • Over $25 Million revenue in micro-transactions alone last quarter.
  • Much has been learned on infrastructure in regards to the failed iOs launch of the Simpsons.
  • Absence at PS4 reveal is not indicative to their status on the console.
  • Between now and E3 you will see a lot of stuff from EA
  • Thrilled with the PS4 specs - the new Battlefield is stunning

My feeble summary:

• Talked about "Gen 4" consoles (PS4/720) and implied comparable power ratio between the two
  • "8-10x the power of current gen consoles"
  • Implied they will launch very close to each other
  • Theorized that initial launch prices for EA games could be $69.99 (if that is what the high end MSRP set by Sony/Microsoft is)
  • Will continue to support digital download business, but internet infrastructure globally means retail is hugely important for the foreseeable future
  • FIFA 14 definitely coming this year (cross gen title)
  • Battlefield 4 looks amazing; implied 1080p/60fps (target for next gen games)
  • 15 core titles being worked on for next gen

#2 Posted by clyde46 (47577 posts) -
Micro-transactions. DO NOT WANT D:
#3 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
Micro-transactions. DO NOT WANT D:clyde46
Hoping that model fails and they go back to basics...who the hell am i kidding lol
#4 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10814 posts) -
Origin support confirmed.
#5 Posted by darktx2005 (396 posts) -

$69.99 games? If true, along with the all the speculation about anti used games or an online pass type solution for used games, I'm going to be mostly a PC gamer next gen.

It's amazing to me that at a time where PC gaming is thriving with far lower prices than we see on the console side, now we are going to see $70 console games. Not only that, there is a good chance you won't  be able to trade in/sell that $70 game. I've never been a PC fanboy, but all this stuff is making me turn into one fast.

#6 Posted by aroxx_ab (10779 posts) -

So finally Cows and hermits can fight together in cross-platform-play, in Battlefield 4, hermits will be own by gamepad players :lol:

#7 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
my favourites bits "Absence at PS4 reveal is not indicative to their status on the console. Between now and E3 you will see a lot of stuff from EA Thrilled with the PS4 specs - the new Battlefield is stunning" "Battlefield 4 looks amazing; implied 1080p/60fps (target for next gen games) 15 core titles being worked on for next gen"
#8 Posted by Heil68 (47174 posts) -
I'm loving the points of the power of the ps4.
#9 Posted by aroxx_ab (10779 posts) -

Origin support confirmed.ShadowDeathX

...and wasnt EA going 100% Digital download only ?

#10 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5669 posts) -

$69.99 games? If true, along with the all the speculation about anti used games or an online pass type solution for used games, I'm going to be mostly a PC gamer next gen.

It's amazing to me that at a time where PC gaming is thriving with far lower prices than we see on the console side, now we are going to see $70 console games. Not only that, there is a good chance you won't  be able to trade in/sell that $70 game. I've never been a PC fanboy, but all this stuff is making me turn into one fast.

darktx2005

PC games will always have lower prices so the $70 price tag won't really affect PC.

I think this will hurt Durango the most, if the rumors are true that used games will not be allowed, plus a $70 price tag. :|

#11 Posted by argetlam00 (6573 posts) -

Origin support confirmed.ShadowDeathX

They can get origin running on PSN?

#12 Posted by clyde46 (47577 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Origin support confirmed.argetlam00

I think it connects your PSN to your Origin account rather than having it run in the background.
#13 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

if origin is possible, would steam be too? (Proper steam... i mean)
#14 Posted by Heil68 (47174 posts) -
[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Origin support confirmed.campzor

if origin is possible, would steam be too? (Proper steam... i mean)

Seems like it.
#15 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -

Yes, Sony does not offer game servers (maybe with extra pay?), just integrity tools, thats why devlopers need to provide servers for there own. Thats why Valve used Steam on Portal 2, because they practicly been forced to. XBL mix your guys head, Internet is internet and PSN is just part of it, PS3/4 can do more then that :p
#16 Posted by darktx2005 (396 posts) -

[QUOTE="darktx2005"]

Blazerdt47

PC games will always have lower prices so the $70 price tag won't really affect PC.

I think this will hurt Durango the most, if the rumors are true that used games will not be allowed, plus a $70 price tag. :|

Exactly my point. If I can get an equal or superior version for a cheaper price on PC, then there is no question what platform I'll be playing on. 

I don't think Sony is banning used games, but all the dodging of questions about it this week leads me to beleive they will have an online pass type of solution for it. You can play used games but you have to pay $10-20 to unlock it on your console/PSN account. Durango may have an all out ban on used games, but who knows.

#17 Posted by darktx2005 (396 posts) -
[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Origin support confirmed.clyde46

I think it connects your PSN to your Origin account rather than having it run in the background.

You can have XBL/PSN accounts tied to your origin account, like in BF3.
#18 Posted by Jorbit (44 posts) -

Didn't sony just say that their games would be no more than $60.00?

#19 Posted by argetlam00 (6573 posts) -

[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Origin support confirmed.ShadowriverUB

Yes, Sony does not offer game servers (maybe with extra pay?), just integrity tools, thats why devlopers need to provide servers for there own. Thats why Valve used Steam on Portal 2, because they practicly been forced to. XBL mix your guys head, Internet is internet and PSN is just part of it, PS3/4 can do more then that :p

Right. Makes sense that companies have to provide servers since online is a F2P service.

#20 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
$70 launch game? Lol, fvck off.
#21 Posted by TwistedShade (3138 posts) -

So finally Cows and hermits can fight together in cross-platform-play, in Battlefield 4, hermits will be own by gamepad players :lol:

aroxx_ab

Other way around.

#22 Posted by argetlam00 (6573 posts) -

$70 launch game? Lol, fvck off.rjdofu

Almost no games are even worth $60 for what I get out of them.

#23 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5791 posts) -

Thank u Sony.

#24 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5669 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="darktx2005"]

darktx2005

Exactly my point. If I can get an equal or superior version for a cheaper price on PC, then there is no question what platform I'll be playing on. 

I don't think Sony is banning used games, but all the dodging of questions about it this week leads me to beleive they will have an online pass type of solution for it. You can play used games but you have to pay $10-20 to unlock it on your console/PSN account. Durango may have an all out ban on used games, but who knows.

Sony said their game prices will range from 99 cents to $60 so I find EA hard to believe, if I'd believe either of those two it would be Sony by far.

Though Sony has been dodging those used game questions, they also said it is up to the developers to allow used games. Although I think a $10-20 unlock wouldn't be so bad of an idea if they want to do SOMETHING. Better than not allowing used games at all.

And Durango, it's just all around bad news from what all the rumors are saying. There's not been one rumor yet to say Durango will allow used games.

#25 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowriverUB"][QUOTE="argetlam00"]

argetlam00

Right. Makes sense that companies have to provide servers since online is a F2P service.

Yes :) other proof of that is fact that multiplayer being closed in single games and servers templary go down for single games unlike Live where it only downs on all games. aslo you can see in assains creed "Connecting to Ubisoft" when you turn on multiplayer Yes, Live have game servers hosted by MS, that mightbe reason why it's payed in first place... but i don't understand why they locking whole internet access even to services that they don't own..... but im not sure, im only sure that PSN use 3rd party servers for 3rd party games
#26 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

Important to note, they said afterwards that they mispoke about pricepoints, and he mean to say $60 and $50, rather than $70 and $60.

#27 Posted by Fizzman (9884 posts) -

Why would game prices go up?  

EA being EA.  

#28 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

If they provide cross-platform play, PC needs to be left out in FPS games (all other genres are alright).  The KB&M is a very unfair advantage, I don't want to join a match full of "handicapped" gamers.

#29 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

lx_theo
That's quite crucial things to misspoke. They obviously have that idea in mind.
#30 Posted by darktx2005 (396 posts) -

[QUOTE="darktx2005"]

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

Blazerdt47

Sony said their game prices will range from 99 cents to $60 so I find EA hard to believe, if I'd believe either of those two it would be Sony by far.

Though Sony has been dodging those used game questions, they also said it is up to the developers to allow used games. Although I think a $10-20 unlock wouldn't be so bad of an idea if they want to do SOMETHING. Better than not allowing used games at all.

And Durango, it's just all around bad news from what all the rumors are saying. There's not been one rumor yet to say Durango will allow used games.

If Durango requires you to always be online, then I'm pretty sure used games are out. The $10-20 unlock is better than the alternative but it still sucks. It cheapens the value of trade ins and selling your games and makes renting worthless.
#31 Posted by clyde46 (47577 posts) -

aroxx_ab
Somehow I really doubt you can beat a KB/M with a controller.
#32 Posted by FPSfan1985 (2174 posts) -

If they provide cross-platform play, PC needs to be left out in FPS games (all other genres are alright).  The KB&M is a very unfair advantage, I don't want to join a match full of "handicapped" gamers.

Riadon2
Not that big an advantage really. I play bf3 on pc with a controller and do extremely well. Not like we are playing quake or unreal anymore.
#33 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -
[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

rjdofu

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-undecided-on-next-gen-pricing-6404527 I agree, a shame he did An EA representative confirmed with GameSpot that Jorgensen misspoke during his presentation, meaning to use examples of $59 and $49, not $69 and $59.
#34 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

Riadon2
No worry, there'll be aim assist for console players.
#35 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

FPSfan1985

Not that big an advantage really. I play bf3 on pc with a controller and do extremely well. Not like we are playing quake or unreal anymore.

It's the difference of using your thumb to aim, and your entire wrist.  Think about how the AVERAGE console gamer would feel, no one should have an unfair advantage.

#36 Posted by darktx2005 (396 posts) -
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="lx_theo"]

lx_theo

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-undecided-on-next-gen-pricing-6404527 I agree, a shame he did An EA representative confirmed with GameSpot that Jorgensen misspoke during his presentation, meaning to use examples of $59 and $49, not $69 and $59.

I think we call that damage control. Even if the $70 price point is true, I doubt MS/Sony want that out this early. You want hype to be built up before you hit consumers with news that is going to piss them off.
#37 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -
They saying that customers "abrazing" micro transactions XD
#38 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -
[QUOTE="darktx2005"][QUOTE="lx_theo"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] That's quite crucial things to misspoke. They obviously have that idea in mind.

I think we call that damage control. Even if the $70 price point is true, I doubt MS/Sony want that out this early. You want hype to be built up before you hit consumers with news that is going to piss them off.

Considering Sony's statements on it being $60 max, I'd be willing to bet he misspoke.
#39 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -
[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

rjdofu
No worry, there'll be aim assist for console players.

Aim bots are hated to the bones in PC community, it would be rage :p
#40 Posted by FPSfan1985 (2174 posts) -

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]

Riadon2

It's the difference of using your thumb to aim, and your entire wrist.  Think about how the AVERAGE console gamer would feel, no one should have an unfair advantage.

I'm a hardcore PC and FPS fan and a controller in BF3 at least for me felt perfect. I think it depends on the game. Games like COD and BF3 which have really horrible hit detection and rely more on map navigation than great aim make a controller better in many ways.
#41 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

$70 launch game? Lol, fvck off.rjdofu

yeah i won't be buying any games at launch if that's the case.

#42 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

[QUOTE="darktx2005"]

Blazerdt47

Son-y has confirm that publishers has the power to block used games 

GAMESPOT DON'T change my color of text!!!!!!!!

#43 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5669 posts) -

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]

Riadon2

Lol I've actually played a quite a few matches with the X360 controller on BF3 PC. I did quite decent actually. Most of the time I wasn't last place nor first but did pretty well. :P

#44 Posted by darktx2005 (396 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="darktx2005"]

k2theswiss

How would that work? A one time use serial code?
#45 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] Not that big an advantage really. I play bf3 on pc with a controller and do extremely well. Not like we are playing quake or unreal anymore.Blazerdt47

Lol I've actually played a quite a few matches with the X360 controller on BF3 PC. I did quite decent actually. Most of the time I wasn't last place nor first but did pretty well. :P

BF3 makes heavy use of vehicles.  Vehicles are just fine on a controller, easier to control, even.  It's infantry that takes a hit, especially at long distances.

#46 Posted by FPSfan1985 (2174 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] Not that big an advantage really. I play bf3 on pc with a controller and do extremely well. Not like we are playing quake or unreal anymore.Blazerdt47

Man I'm always top 3. All about that silencer and being sneaky.
#47 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5669 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="darktx2005"]

k2theswiss

Yes I know that Sony said that. But for Durango if the rumors are true, ALL games would be blocked, not just a select few from publishers.

#48 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (16202 posts) -

$69.99 msrp?

If Microsoft decide on no used games they are dead in the water.

nm, they corrected it. That's good.

#49 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="darktx2005"]

k2theswiss

Ehhhh they always had that, Online Passes is not PSN, XBL feature, it a exploit of DLC system which can be easily done on single player too
#50 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

ShadowriverUB

Ehhhh they always had that, Online Passes is not PSN, XBL feature, it a exploit of DLC system which can be easily done on single player too

yes but they never did that on this gen