E.T the video game has been found

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by resevl4rlz (3279 posts) -

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/460129185277968385/photo/1

http://kotaku.com/e-t-found-in-new-mexico-landfill-1568100161

So i guess the rumors were indeed true. That Atari did bury the worst game in history.

#2 Posted by foxhound_fox (88791 posts) -

I hear it wasn't the worst game ever made, just a massive commercial failure that pushed Atari into bankruptcy.

#3 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14470 posts) -

lmfao, major nelson couldn't be more accurate for this.

#4 Posted by Flubbbs (3162 posts) -

good job Microsoft.. that gives you somewhere to put all of those unsold Xbox Ones

#5 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14470 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

good job Microsoft.. that gives you somewhere to put all of those unsold Xbox Ones

They're surveying the land for an appropriate burial plot.

I bet Nintendo is over there somewhere too with trucks filled with WiiU's.

#6 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16592 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

I hear it wasn't the worst game ever made, just a massive commercial failure that pushed Atari into bankruptcy.

It was a pretty bad game overall. One of the worst games ever made at the time.

#7 Posted by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

The Holy Grail of video game archaeology has finally been found?

#8 Edited by SolidTy (43862 posts) -

I read a lot of books on this growing up, but I never thought of it as a rumor. I recall them interviewing people confirming it's location...It looks to me a little PR spin and marketing is involved with this "discovery", but in any even I'm looking forward to watching whatever it is they make (documentary) when it's released.

#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16687 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

It was an awful, awful game alright. But the worst game of all time ? That's debatable.

There are many bad near unplayable games out there.

#10 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (971 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It was an awful, awful game alright. But the worst game of all time ? That's debatable.

It set a standard for movie tie-ins

I think the one dude who programed it had like 6 weeks or something stupid like that to make the game.

#11 Posted by gameofthering (10322 posts) -

So there is going to be a documentary on this?

#12 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3621 posts) -

What are you even supposed to be doing in the game anyway?

#13 Posted by Gue1 (10223 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

#14 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3621 posts) -

That exciting gameplay.

#15 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (8214 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Flubbbs said:

They're surveying the land for an appropriate burial plot.

I bet Nintendo is over there somewhere too with trucks filled with WiiU's.

There's enough space for both consoles.

#16 Posted by yokofox33 (29913 posts) -

Pretty awesome story. Wonder if they still work.

#17 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16687 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It set a standard for movie tie-ins

I think the one dude who programed it had like 6 weeks or something stupid like that to make the game.

Which isn't much more than some devs get to create movie tie-ins these days.

Atari thought they would sell millions based on the name alone. But people weren't as dumb as Atari thought, so they had to bury a lot of them.

#18 Posted by Comduter (2185 posts) -

I still know where my copy is. It's in my next-door neighbor's attic after my parents sold it to them a little over 20 years ago.

#19 Posted by cainetao11 (17771 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Running from a govt agent from near empty screen to near empty screen. I remember my cousin getting it, and crying at how bad it was.

#20 Posted by cainetao11 (17771 posts) -

@yokofox33 said:

Pretty awesome story. Wonder if they still work.

It never worked. That's why they were buried.

#21 Posted by getyeryayasout (7604 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It's one of the worst games I've ever played. It was programmed by one guy in 6 weeks time and plays like it. As a kid I had no idea what to do in the game, and doubt I'd fare much better today. Burying it in a landfill is a fitting end.

#22 Posted by getyeryayasout (7604 posts) -

@SolidTy: I find this to be one of Atari's most interesting stories. Apologies if you aren't an AVGN fan, but this video has great info.

I can't imagine a company pulling something like this off in the "internet age", but it's pretty amazing. The missing treasure pieces are purportedly in former Atari head Jack Tramiel's house, hanging on the wall.

#23 Edited by blackace (20890 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

It sent the whole game console industry into bankruptcy. It started the great crash of 1983.

The game was not the worse game at the time. The Pac-man game they made was crap. There were a LOT of bad games on the Atari 2600. E.T. was at least playable. I beat the game at my friends house. I think it took less then a couple hours. You had to find all the parts to E.T.'s phone and then put it together and phone home. Then his alien ship came down and took him away.

#24 Posted by blackace (20890 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

Or where Sony will put the left over PS4 inventory once they go bankrupt in the next 2 years. lol!!! I'm joking just like you. har..har..har!!

#25 Edited by SolidTy (43862 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

@SolidTy: I find this to be one of Atari's most interesting stories. Apologies if you aren't an AVGN fan, but this video has great info.

I can't imagine a company pulling something like this off in the "internet age", but it's pretty amazing. The missing treasure pieces are purportedly in former Atari head Jack Tramiel's house, hanging on the wall.

I saw very video years ago (I think when it aired in 2011) and I still own some of those games...I'll have to dig those up, but there was a time when those Atari 2600 were all I played (I had Intellivision too), prior to the NES release. So, I had already researched and learned because those games were confusing. I'm glad James put that vid together for people to hear the story.

I researched that treasure story about Tramiel too, in fact I researched that guy and his sons years ago as well. It's all very fascinating.

I like AVGN, but I still miss Sean Baby (AVGN before internet youtube and AVGN).

#26 Edited by SolidTy (43862 posts) -
@blackace said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It sent the whole game console industry into bankruptcy. It started the great crash of 1983.

That's an American misnomer to equate the entire world with North America. The entire or whole gaming console industry wasn't doing well in NA which is true (The crash was real and it was serious, all true), but in EU and Japan and other parts of the world, the gaming industry was fine. It was a North American crash, certainly, but not the whole game industry. I just wanted to point out that while the whole industry was affected, the the actual phrase is the North American videogame crash of 83.

There was a time before research that I believed the crash was a worldwide event, so I can relate, but there's a lot more to the history of gaming which is all every entertaining to gaming historians.

There is a lot of information and books on the entire history of video-games including the "crash". I'd recommend "The First Quarter" by Steven Kent and the Ultimate History of Videogames as starting points. There is of course some great courses these days if you really want to get into it. I find it all fascinating. I won't ramble on, but it's rather interesting to read anecdotal stories of European gamers and Japanese gamers in 1983, because it was certainly different than the NA experience, for sure.

#27 Posted by getyeryayasout (7604 posts) -

The crash was great! I remember picking up a Colecovision and a half dozen games for $50, including a racing wheel. Good times, bad controller.

#28 Edited by BranKetra (48784 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

I read a lot of books on this growing up, but I never thought of it as a rumor. I recall them interviewing people confirming it's location...It looks to me a little PR spin and marketing is involved with this "discovery", but in any even I'm looking forward to watching whatever it is they make (documentary) when it's released.

I never thought of it as a rumor, either. Video game magazine sources were writing about it as sure truth years ago. Only recently was it labeled a rumor (for a time).

#29 Edited by SolidTy (43862 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@SolidTy said:

I never thought of it as a rumor, either. Video game magazine sources were writing about it as sure truth years ago. Only recently was it labeled a rumor (for a time).

Yes, exactly. I'm glad someone else remembers.

I think it's just typical, modern marketing and PR spin to make this whole thing sound cooler than it actually is for younger gamers that aren't as well read or researched.

It is cool definitely, but I think this is all part of a plan which is in motion to sell this event on DVD, Blu-Ray, digitally, etc. Modern marketing world we live in. I'm fine with it, but it's sort of interesting how easily masses can be swayed by tiny little changes in narrative. Sort of a re-write to keep things more intriguing.

"BASED ON A TRUE STORY" - people seem drawn to that.

I'll still watch whatever it is though, but I'm not sold because of the marketing, I just find this stuff fascinating as it's all from my youth.

#30 Edited by Wiimotefan (4078 posts) -

I had that game and damn it sucked.

@foxhound_fox said:

Plenty of game design books have a section on it in the early chapters. Apparently it's the perfect example of exactly what not to do when designing a game.

#31 Edited by Heil68 (45245 posts) -

haha, that's awesome.

#32 Posted by SolidTy (43862 posts) -

@Wiimotefan said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Plenty of game design books have a section on it in the early chapters. Apparently it's the perfect example of exactly what not to do when designing a game.

I own the game and I remember playing it in it's hey day. It was terrible then, just terrible. I haven't played it in decades, but since the internet I've seen others try to play for the first time what I played back then and they hate it less than I did. Probably because of the reputation. If you played Atari 2600 and you played this game that was rushed out in I believe 6 weeks if I recall based on my own research (ages ago), it was awful.

#33 Posted by Wiimotefan (4078 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@Wiimotefan said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I own the game and I remember playing it in it's hey day. It was terrible then, just terrible. I haven't played it in decades, but since the internet I've seen others try to play for the first time what I played back then and they hate it less than I did. Probably because of the reputation. If you played Atari 2600 and you played this game that was rushed out in I believe 6 weeks if I recall based on my own research (ages ago), it was awful.

Yeah. It was some terrible shit.

Like all the other Atari games I had, it was actually my older bros. I felt bad for him spending his allowance on such a shit game lol. I'll be honest, I didn't really care for many Atari games anyways. It was the arcades and the NES that truly sparked my interest in the hobby. But there were a few decent games on the system and holy shit, ET definitely wasn't one of them. Worst shit ever, not even worth a nostalgic trip down memory lane.

You're right though, these days it has a bit of novelty to some people. Having the worst reputation of any game ever, I suppose people just want to see what the fuss is about. Kind of a shame though since it overshadows some of the games from that era that were actually fun.

#34 Edited by SolidTy (43862 posts) -

@Wiimotefan said:

@SolidTy said:

@Wiimotefan said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Yeah. It was some terrible shit.

Like all the other Atari games I had, it was actually my older bros. I felt bad for him spending his allowance on such a shit game lol. I'll be honest, I didn't really care for many Atari games anyways. It was the arcades and the NES that truly sparked my interest in the hobby. But there were a few decent games on the system and holy shit, ET definitely wasn't one of them. Worst shit ever, not even worth a nostalgic trip down memory lane.

You're right though, these days it has a bit of novelty to some people. Having the worst reputation of any game ever, I suppose people just want to see what the fuss is about. Kind of a shame though since it overshadows some of the games from that era that were actually fun.

I agree and it is a shame how perspective is altered for future gamers because there were some very fun games to be played back then.

#35 Posted by blackace (20890 posts) -
@SolidTy said:
@blackace said:

@foxhound_fox said:

That's an American misnomer to equate the entire world with North America. The entire or whole gaming console industry wasn't doing well in NA which is true (The crash was real and it was serious, all true), but in EU and Japan and other parts of the world, the gaming industry was fine. It was a North American crash, certainly, but not the whole game industry. I just wanted to point out that while the whole industry was affected, the the actual phrase is the North American videogame crash of 83.

There was a time before research that I believed the crash was a worldwide event, so I can relate, but there's a lot more to the history of gaming which is all every entertaining to gaming historians.

There is a lot of information and books on the entire history of video-games including the "crash". I'd recommend "The First Quarter" by Steven Kent and the Ultimate History of Videogames as starting points. There is of course some great courses these days if you really want to get into it. I find it all fascinating. I won't ramble on, but it's rather interesting to read anecdotal stories of European gamers and Japanese gamers in 1983, because it was certainly different than the NA experience, for sure.

I never said it was the WHOLE GAMING INDUSTRY. I said it was the whole game console industry. I don't remember any game consoles existing in Japan or Europe at that time. If so, I've never heard of them. They had nothing, but PC gaming. The PC gaming market was fine in North America as well. It was only the game console industry that had crash until Nintendo released the NES through the world. I played lots of PC games after the crash. that's when I received my Atari 800 system and my friend had the Commadore 64. There was also the Apple computers as well. I played games on all of these systems. I'm well aware it wasn't the whole gaming industry, that's why I chose my words carefully.

#36 Posted by asylumni (2134 posts) -

It's quite impressive; the lengths MS will go to in order to bring us crappy games. I wonder if this is the same way they got Fighter Within... :P

#37 Edited by BranKetra (48784 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@BranKetra said:

@SolidTy said:

I think it's just typical, modern marketing and PR spin to make this whole thing sound cooler than it actually is for younger gamers that aren't as well read or researched.

It is cool definitely, but I think this is all part of a plan which is in motion to sell this event on DVD, Blu-Ray, digitally, etc. Modern marketing world we live in. I'm fine with it, but it's sort of interesting how easily masses can be swayed by tiny little changes in narrative. Sort of a re-write to keep things more intriguing.

I'll still watch whatever it is though, but I'm not sold because of the marketing, I just find this stuff fascinating as it's all from my youth.

"Modern" is the right word for this. The first time I heard E.T. being buried in that landfill was even a rumor was actually this month (April 2014). I agree with you that this is interesting. I was not around until after the famous landfill, though.

#38 Posted by SolidTy (43862 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@SolidTy said:

@BranKetra said:

@SolidTy said:

"Modern" is the right word for this. The first time I heard E.T. being buried in that landfill was even a rumor was actually this month (April 2014). I agree with you that this is interesting. I was not around until after the famous landfill, though.

Yeah, I noticed it within the six months or so that all of the sudden it was a rumor. Haha, sales.

#39 Edited by Big_Pecks (5364 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

lol. The Earth would spit that shit out.

#40 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9860 posts) -

meh............. we had known before for decades that Atari did burry them in the desert. And there had been lots of info on that before. So it wasnt a mystery, like the people who are making a documentary are trying to make be.

#41 Edited by thr1llh0us (56 posts) -

LOL .... they're digging in the wrong place!

#42 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5155 posts) -

What rumours? This was always a fact. What a waste of time.

With any luck Larry will climb in the pit and have all the dirt and trash buried back over him.

#43 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5155 posts) -

On the plus side, this now means that MS now has a game it can release on XBL to cut through the pre-E3 drought.

#44 Posted by brimmul777 (1250 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

That exciting gameplay.

I agree,I'm hoping for a part 2.VERY exciting stuff.

#45 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3853 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

So it's sort of like Gone Home? ;)

#46 Edited by Blabadon (26666 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher: Don't be an asshole.

#47 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14470 posts) -

@asylumni said:

It's quite impressive; the lengths MS will go to in order to bring us crappy games. I wonder if this is the same way they got Fighter Within... :P

Apparently Ryse was acquired the same way, they went to Rome and dug into the old sewage canals and found that Gem.

#48 Posted by cbthedog (45 posts) -

lmao