Dying Light console community irrelevancy after mod tools

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

With mods already out for Dying Light gaining ground and a strong community on steam to keep it active for years. I expect many people will switch over to the pc just like with skyrim and other heavily mod game. It doesn't take long for mods to become popular with millions of downloads. The pc community end up overtaking their console counterparts by a lot. So how long do you expect the console version to be irrelevant?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

....assuming every person who bought Dying Light on consoles own a gaming computer that can outperform their console of choice.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

Proper mod support can help a PC game move a ton of copies. Publishers and devs would be wise to support them if they want to be succesful on PC.

I've read in an interview with Avalanche that they sold over 6 million copies of JC2 over time and claimed that a large percentage of the sales was due to Just Cause 2 Multiplayer mod and the numerous Steam sales.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GodspellWH

@R3FURBISHED said:

....assuming every person who bought Dying Light on consoles own a gaming computer that can outperform their console of choice.

Well I don't think the pc needs to be all that powerful to play the game

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I like playing Skyrim. The mods weren't enough to make me play it again on PC.

Same with Dying Light. I completed the campaign and now am searching for more side quests and plan on getting the DLC. Still no intentions of playing on PC. It would have to be some killer mods for me to invest again.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GodspellWH

@Ben-Buja said:

Proper mod support can help a PC game move a ton of copies. Publishers and devs would be wise to support them if they want to be succesful on PC.

I've read in an interview with Avalanche that they sold over 6 million copies of JC2 over time and claimed that a large percentage of the sales was due to Just Cause 2 Multiplayer mod and the numerous Steam sales.

I think I remember that interview do you have a link. They said something about how many players were still playing the pc version

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

No the console version became irrelevant after they announce they were developing mod tools

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

@godspellwh said:

@Ben-Buja said:

I think I remember that interview do you have a link. They said something about how many players were still playing the pc version

I'm trying to find it.

"Of course we couldn’t discuss our favorite mods for Just Cause 2 without mentioning the biggest and most ambitious mod of them all. I don't think any of us ever imagined that someone would make a multiplayer mod of Just Cause 2 while we were developing the game. I certainly didn't. But it's both amazing and humbling that people from our community spent so much time and effort on it. Taking on such a huge project is just crazy – almost as crazy as the gameplay in the mod! The popularity of the mod speaks for itself – it helped bring Just Cause 2 to new audiences, and helped keep our community thriving years beyond the initial launch. – Per Hugoson, Principal Programmer"

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/01/the-just-cause-3-teams-favorite-mods-and-videos.aspx

"The mod is absolutely fantastic,” says Avalanche CCO and Co-Founder Christofer Sundberg. “We owe those guys a lot. They have actually supported the game and helped it stay alive so many years after it was released. We don’t expect the fans to make the multiplayer for Just Cause 3, but at some point you have to make a choice on where your focus is. Our strength is the sandbox experience, and we want to deliver a great Just Cause 3 experience.”

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/11/17/will-just-cause-3-have-a-multiplayer-mode.aspx

"The mod and YouTube community kept interest in the game alive for years after launch and eventually pushed sales to more than six million units."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/11/11/december-cover-revealed-just-cause-3-29401230.aspx

b..but mods ruin games and the devs vision!!11

Edit: I remember wrong about them mentioning Steam sales.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GodspellWH

@Ben-Buja said:

@godspellwh said:

@Ben-Buja said:

I'm trying to find it.

"Of course we couldn’t discuss our favorite mods for Just Cause 2 without mentioning the biggest and most ambitious mod of them all. I don't think any of us ever imagined that someone would make a multiplayer mod of Just Cause 2 while we were developing the game. I certainly didn't. But it's both amazing and humbling that people from our community spent so much time and effort on it. Taking on such a huge project is just crazy – almost as crazy as the gameplay in the mod! The popularity of the mod speaks for itself – it helped bring Just Cause 2 to new audiences, and helped keep our community thriving years beyond the initial launch. – Per Hugoson, Principal Programmer"

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/01/the-just-cause-3-teams-favorite-mods-and-videos.aspx

"The mod is absolutely fantastic,” says Avalanche CCO and Co-Founder Christofer Sundberg. “We owe those guys a lot. They have actually supported the game and helped it stay alive so many years after it was released. We don’t expect the fans to make the multiplayer for Just Cause 3, but at some point you have to make a choice on where your focus is. Our strength is the sandbox experience, and we want to deliver a great Just Cause 3 experience.”

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/11/17/will-just-cause-3-have-a-multiplayer-mode.aspx

"The mod and YouTube community kept interest in the game alive for years after launch and eventually pushed sales to more than six million units."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/11/11/december-cover-revealed-just-cause-3-29401230.aspx

b..but mods ruin games and the devs vision!!11

Thanks nice to know pc kept it alive all these years

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

I just buy console version yesterday to play with @getyeryayasout

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Bought my PC version last week for the hardcore mod and get rid of that awful film grain

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

Well if it has tons of awesome mods why bother with the inferior version

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@deathlordcrime said:

@Heil68 said:

Bought my PC version last week for the hardcore mod and get rid of that awful film grain

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

After I finish The Order 1886 (I thought this game was short?) I will probably get Dying Light on PC. I'm going to continue my "If it's multiplat, I'm buying it on PC" for the rest of the generation probably. I may double dip here and there, but the difference is already big enough that I will try to focus on PC for multiplats. I just hope the console exclusives start picking up!

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Of course games with awesome mod support live forever on PC, while console people are just waiting for the next CoD or terrible annual iteration of X game.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Purchased skyrim after playing it on ps3 and modded it to the point of being almost a different game completely in looks and in gameplay. So no longer own a console and just get pc versions so no need to do the whole double dipping.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

just because the modabillity i'd say PC crushes console...

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Strangely enough, the new patch that promised mod support actually made it harder to mod and broke some mods.

I suppose they are still working on decent mod tools because the modding is not that easy atm.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Cool...glad to see Dying Light seems to be "better" on PC due to mods.

Got GTA V yet?

Oh....ok.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@deathlordcrime said:

@Heil68 said:

Fixed for accuracy.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Cool...glad to see Dying Light seems to be "better" on PC due to mods.

Got GTA V yet?

Oh....ok.

PC doesn't need GTAV to be vastly ahead of consoles, it gets more aaa/aa every year.

And dying light doesn't need mods to be better, "Anyone with a decent gaming PC should definitely stick to the computer version as it offers excellent scalability alongside further improved visuals."

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@speak_low said:

Most console gamers will beat the game and move on to the other summertime releases. That's what they'll do. Maybe play Witcher 3? Batman Arkham Knight? Dead Island 2?

Mods are great and fun, but some Hermits sound like infomercial salesmen. "Look at all of the activities you are missing if you don't buy our product! Anyone? Anyone there.....??"

Christ, the absurd level of bullshit spin that you need to perform to make mods seem negative......it's a new realm of pathetic.

Considering console's get so much fewer games and longer droughts, I'd think you guys would love mods.