Dyad Creator Calls Linear Stories in Games Worthless, Mass Effect Horrible

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

Personally, I dislike Indie anything, Indie music, games, movies, you name it. I really dislike the ego's of indie people as well.

ryangcnx-2

I am in the same boat, but I don't hate everything done by the indie scene. I dislike most indie music and games though. Indie games especially use the cover of being indie and different to deliver garbo simplistic gameplay and extremely short campaigns for jacked up prices.

#202 Posted by LordQuorthon (5264 posts) -

The developers had a story to tell first and foremost

Zassimick

Then the video game industry is doomed.

#203 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

[QUOTE="ryangcnx-2"]

Personally, I dislike Indie anything, Indie music, games, movies, you name it. I really dislike the ego's of indie people as well.

GD1551

I am in the same boat, but I don't hate everything done by the indie scene. I dislike most indie music and games though. Indie games especially use the cover of being indie and different to deliver garbo simplistic gameplay and extremely short campaigns for jacked up prices.

You're missing out on some really great games, then.
#204 Posted by dreman999 (10747 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zassimick"]

LordQuorthon

Not all devs have to do this clearly. The most popular game series fans have no care for story.
#205 Posted by Zassimick (6246 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zassimick"]

LordQuorthon

If you take my post out of context, like it seems you did, then I can see why you might think that. In my post I was talking specifically about Mass Effect and the branching paths; the story they are telling takes precedence over your infinite choices or good ending.

This is a good jumping off point for the debate of stories in games. Why in the world are games 'doomed' if they have a focus on storytelling? It is that kind of thinking that is holding the industry back. Some games don't need stories but there is room in this industry for games with strong stories and games without a story at all, and when someone comes in to say the industry is doomed if our focus is on story or that video games shouldn't have stories at all, it hinders progress forward.

There's is a quote I want to mention here: 'A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.' These are video games so of course gameplay matters, but when you throw the story on the wayside because it doesn't matter, or when you throw the sound design or art direction out the window that hurts the overall product. Games may not have the strongest stories presently but we have to work forward and realize that there is room in this industry for story-centric games just as much as games without a story.

#206 Posted by LordQuorthon (5264 posts) -

Dude, it's ok to be a nerd, but try not to be a pretentious nerd. People just don't like it.

You are playing with toys because video games are toys. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't try to fool yourself into thinking that there's more to it. People in the real world don't like it when nerds get cocky.

#207 Posted by Zassimick (6246 posts) -

Dude, it's ok to be a nerd, but try not to be a pretentious nerd. People just don't like it.

You are playing with toys because video games are toys. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't try to fool yourself into thinking that there's more to it. People in the real world don't like it when nerds get cocky.

LordQuorthon
People also don't like it when you disregard their opinion and resort to calling them 'pretentious' just because you refuse to look further than you currently are. Thousands of people make careers out of this industry, putting thousands of hours and millions of dollars into creating fun and entertaining experiences. Some of these experiences are simple, accessible, and easy. Others are complex, beautiful and filled with meaning. To ignore all of this and to ignore the potential of what this industry has to offer is in my opinion a display of ignorance. And if my passion over the matter deems me pretentious then I accept the title. There were people who thought story had no place in Broadway and that the American musical could be nothing more than what Ziegfeld's Follies were, but then Show Boat came along. The industry has room for all types of experiences; don't close yourself off from the possibilities.
#208 Posted by LordQuorthon (5264 posts) -

Yup... Very pretentious.

#209 Posted by jg4xchamp (47070 posts) -
I don't like the one size fits all mentality here.
#210 Posted by Lionheart08 (15296 posts) -

He's right. I like the games, but both Bioware and the fans overhyped the impact choices had on the game. Limitations of technology straight up keeps any choice from having any real lasting impact since the game has to keep moving forward. Bioware got really horrible at this with Dragon Age 2, where they started to outright disregard your choices to fit in their own canon.

#211 Posted by Lief_Ericson (7082 posts) -

wtf is Dyad?

EDIT: Looked it up, looks like a Rez clone

#212 Posted by Inconsistancy (8091 posts) -

He's right. I like the games, but both Bioware and the fans overhyped the impact choices had on the game. Limitations of technology straight up keeps any choice from having any real lasting impact since the game has to keep moving forward. Bioware got really horrible at this with Dragon Age 2, where they started to outright disregard your choices to fit in their own canon.

Lionheart08
Tech isn't the limitation, it's money/time.
#213 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zassimick"]

LordQuorthon

Yep. If you have a cool story to tell, awesome. Write a book, make a movie, whatever.

Now, if you have an idea of something FUN, then make a game. You can still fit a cool story into the game, but it can't be a priority.

#214 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="ryangcnx-2"]

DarkLink77

You're missing out on some really great games, then.

Like what? I've played quite a few of the so called good indie games and all that came from it is me being bored and feeling ripped off.

#215 Posted by Zassimick (6246 posts) -

[QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

[QUOTE="Zassimick"]

goblaa

Yep. If you have a cool story to tell, awesome. Write a book, make a movie, whatever.

Now, if you have an idea of something FUN, then make a game. You can still fit a cool story into the game, but it can't be a priority.

Like a said earlier that is a quote taken out of context. I was speaking on the Mass Effect series and the notion of unlimited choices.

Regardless, story should be a priority along with gameplay, sound design, visual design, etc. All parts should work cohesively together with no one part being an afterthought.

#216 Posted by heretrix (37295 posts) -

Lol. some jackass ripped off Tempest and Rez and now he's an expert on storytelling. I wish these devs would just shut the fck up.