DX11 and the PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

So we all know DirectX is Microsoft's proprietary technology. So I'm pretty sure that the Xbox 720 will be getting all the features that it adds such as tessellation support. What I want to know is, does Sony have to create its own API to allow for things like tessellation in the PS4 or is it up to the devs programming for it to make their own engine that does? For example, does Unreal Engine support tessellated evnironments even if the DX11 code isn't there or is it more flexible then that?

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Dx11 does more than tessellation.

destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 destroyerHHH
I know that and that's exactly the point. What I'm asking is whether MSFT's console is the only one that's going to benefit?
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

PS3 uses a variant of OpenGL (ES 1.1 to be more accurate) so I guess PS4 will use a variant of OpenGL too.

Feature-wise, PS3's RSX is capable of DX9.0c features (based on nvidia 7800 series).

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
I was under the impression, things like this is more of a hardware issue than software in regards to supporting features. DX11 support is just suppose to give one a idea of the feature set the hardware supports. There is bound to be a OpenGL equivalent to the corresponding direct x. So likely the PS4 would use a variant of OpenGL and if for some reason OpenGL doesn't support such features it will probably be modified to do so.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

PS4 may do OpenGL again.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nameless12345

I was under the impression, things like this is more of a hardware issue than software in regards to supporting features. DX11 support is just suppose to give one a idea of the feature set the hardware supports. There is bound to be a OpenGL equivalent to the corresponding direct x. So likely the PS4 would use a variant of OpenGL and if for some reason OpenGL doesn't support such features it will probably be modified to do so.Devil-Itachi

OpenGL is generally more flexible and allows for effects that would otherwise be impossible under DirectX. A good example of this were the pixel shaders on GameCube which could do some great effects under OpenGL (like the water in Mario Sunshine for example) but would otherwise be "dead" under DirectX.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17802 Posts
tesselation is a hardware component on a GPU....its not exclusive to DX nor is it required for tesselation to function. the DX spec does require certain specs of various parts of a GPU but thats just MS, Nvidia and AMD working together to ensure devs dont have to worry about writing specific tesselation code for specific hardware. the features in DX11 dont belong to MS. MS dont own the tesselator tech or geometry shaders or anything. all DX is is a higher level layer of software that devs can use to write code for GPUs and so on without worrying about the hardware underneath. all it does is hide the developer from the hardware. so assuming the PS4 and wiiu have tesselators (and im sure they will) and support for other stuff like geometry shaders they just need to provide an interface devs can use. its complexity and closeness to the hardware is really up to the manufacturer. nvidia provide a low level driver for the RSX in the PS3 (i forget its name..GLX something something) and im sure the wii has something similar. after that its up to the likes of epic and ID (or the engine team in a dev if there making their own engine) to expose the hardware functionality so it can be used in a game.so epic will need to have wiiu and PS4 tesselator code and then make a common API of their own that will run on DX11, wiiudriver, PS4 driver. so basically if your worried that the PS4 and wiiu cant have stuff seen in DX11 hardware because neither console will support DX then dont be. MS dont own the hardware tech (they do own DX of course) and engine devs will extrapolate it all out. there is also the openGL api which console manufacuters can use (but dont tend to due to overhead). sony and ninty can implement the same features and can even go further if they so wish.
destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 destroyerHHH
[QUOTE="osan0"]tesselation is a hardware component on a GPU....its not exclusive to DX nor is it required for tesselation to function. the DX spec does require certain specs of various parts of a GPU but thats just MS, Nvidia and AMD working together to ensure devs dont have to worry about writing specific tesselation code for specific hardware. the features in DX11 dont belong to MS. MS dont own the tesselator tech or geometry shaders or anything. all DX is is a higher level layer of software that devs can use to write code for GPUs and so on without worrying about the hardware underneath. all it does is hide the developer from the hardware. so assuming the PS4 and wiiu have tesselators (and im sure they will) and support for other stuff like geometry shaders they just need to provide an interface devs can use. its complexity and closeness to the hardware is really up to the manufacturer. nvidia provide a low level driver for the RSX in the PS3 (i forget its name..GLX something something) and im sure the wii has something similar. after that its up to the likes of epic and ID (or the engine team in a dev if there making their own engine) to expose the hardware functionality so it can be used in a game.so epic will need to have wiiu and PS4 tesselator code and then make a common API of their own that will run on DX11, wiiudriver, PS4 driver. so basically if your worried that the PS4 and wiiu cant have stuff seen in DX11 hardware because neither console will support DX then dont be. MS dont own the hardware tech (they do own DX of course) and engine devs will extrapolate it all out. there is also the openGL api which console manufacuters can use (but dont tend to due to overhead). sony and ninty can implement the same features and can even go further if they so wish.

That's good to know. Best answer yet by the way.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

PS3 uses a variant of OpenGL (ES 1.1 to be more accurate) so I guess PS4 will use a variant of OpenGL too.nameless12345

No it doesn't.

OpenGL is generally more flexible and allows for effects that would otherwise be impossible under DirectX.

nameless12345

No it isn't, and no it doesn't.

I've said this before but I guess I'll have to say it again: consoles do not use PC API's. MS structured their Xbox 360 API to look like D3D9 to make it easier ot port things, but under the hood it's completely different. PS3 and Wii have their own API's, made specifically for their hardware. Consoles are only limited by what the hardware supports.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

No it doesn't.

Teufelhuhn

It supports PSGL which is based on OpenGL ES and nvidia Cg.

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

OpenGL is generally more flexible and allows for effects that would otherwise be impossible under DirectX.

Teufelhuhn

GameCube's pixel shaders ("TEV pipeline") did not meet DX8 requirements but could be exploited under OpenGL.

In a PC game using DX8 they would be "dead" so to speak.

Also DX10 didn't support hardware tessellation altho that was possible on 2001 tech (AMD/ATi's "TruForm" tech on the R200).

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nameless12345

I've said this before but I guess I'll have to say it again: consoles do not use PC API's. MS structured their Xbox 360 API to look like D3D9 to make it easier ot port things, but under the hood it's completely different. PS3 and Wii have their own API's, made specifically for their hardware. Consoles are only limited by what the hardware supports.

Teufelhuhn

I know this. They do not use DX or OpenGL per-se, but rather a more "direct to metal" approach. DX and OpenGL are really relevant only for the PC because they unify all the different hardware.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#13 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]PS3 uses a variant of OpenGL (ES 1.1 to be more accurate) so I guess PS4 will use a variant of OpenGL too.Teufelhuhn

No it doesn't.

nameless12345

So, it would be possible to have DX 11 lighting effects and tesselation in the next PS4, if infact the hardware supports it? I have noticed that DX 11 lighting and tesselation looks significantly better in Crysis 2 as opposed to the standard vanilla version of Crysis 2.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

I know that and that's exactly the point. What I'm asking is whether MSFT's console is the only one that's going to benefit?destroyerHHH

Depends on how well OpenGL will be adjusted to the next tech by PS4 release

Normally i suppose openGL can already do everything Direct X can, but i am not sure

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11230 Posts

Next gen consoles will definitely have tessellation, some way or another.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

the ps4 will use the cell again.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

tesselation is a hardware component on a GPU....its not exclusive to DX nor is it required for tesselation to function. the DX spec does require certain specs of various parts of a GPU but thats just MS, Nvidia and AMD working together to ensure devs dont have to worry about writing specific tesselation code for specific hardware. the features in DX11 dont belong to MS. MS dont own the tesselator tech or geometry shaders or anything. all DX is is a higher level layer of software that devs can use to write code for GPUs and so on without worrying about the hardware underneath. all it does is hide the developer from the hardware. so assuming the PS4 and wiiu have tesselators (and im sure they will) and support for other stuff like geometry shaders they just need to provide an interface devs can use. its complexity and closeness to the hardware is really up to the manufacturer. nvidia provide a low level driver for the RSX in the PS3 (i forget its name..GLX something something) and im sure the wii has something similar. after that its up to the likes of epic and ID (or the engine team in a dev if there making their own engine) to expose the hardware functionality so it can be used in a game.so epic will need to have wiiu and PS4 tesselator code and then make a common API of their own that will run on DX11, wiiudriver, PS4 driver. so basically if your worried that the PS4 and wiiu cant have stuff seen in DX11 hardware because neither console will support DX then dont be. MS dont own the hardware tech (they do own DX of course) and engine devs will extrapolate it all out. there is also the openGL api which console manufacuters can use (but dont tend to due to overhead). sony and ninty can implement the same features and can even go further if they so wish.osan0

Excellent answer.

+1