DX10 gives the momentum back to the HERMITS...

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lawsonboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lawsonboy
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts
Gears of War has the best graphics of ANY game out on the market.  But when Crysis and DX10 come out, if that game looks way better than Gears (Pictures don't lie), will it give the PC back the momentum as the best system to play games on?

Right now it is highly debatable considering that the 360 has the best sports, shooters, racing, sandbox, and rpg games out on it.  Sure you can supe up your PC to have way more power right now than the 360, but still no PC game beats Gears so that $$ is a waste if you can't beat a $400 console.  DX 10 video cards are at least $400 alone.  I think people will pay it if the games look and play that much better.  AS for now, these are the best games out and they are on the 360.

Sports:  Madden 07, Top Spin 2, Fight Night Rd. 3
Racing:  PGR3, Test Drive, Burn out Revenge
Shooter:  GRAW, Rainbow 6, GEARS
Sandbox:  Saints Row, Crackdown
RPG:  Oblvion, Blue Dragon
Action Adventure: Kameo
Fighting:  DOA4

It's currently the best system to play games on considering it has among the best games in most all game categories.

But if DX10 begins to squash the competition in visual quality and gameplay, will game companies want to shift their focus to DX10 and give up on console games?
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts
IMO Extraction Point is graphically superior to Gears.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
IMO Extraction Point is graphically superior to Gears.Shirley_Temple
Well I won't argue since you said imo...
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts
Gears of War has the best graphics of ANY game out on the market.  But when Crysis and DX10 come out, if that game looks way better than Gears (Pictures don't lie), will it give the PC back the momentum as the best system to play games on?

Right now it is highly debatable considering that the 360 has the best sports, shooters, racing, sandbox, and rpg games out on it.  Sure you can supe up your PC to have way more power right now than the 360, but still no PC game beats Gears so that $$ is a waste if you can't beat a $400 console.  DX 10 video cards are at least $400 alone.  I think people will pay it if the games look and play that much better.  AS for now, these are the best games out and they are on the 360.

It's currently the best system to play games on considering it has among the best games in most all game categories.

But if DX10 begins to squash the competition in visual quality and gameplay, will game companies want to shift their focus to DX10 and give up on console games?
lawsonboy
So what your saying is that for people that can't afford a decent PC that a cheap console is better? I agree with that. In 12 months time the 360 will start to look very very dated but for people who are to poor to upgrade then consoles are a good choice.
rdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rdo
Member since 2004 • 10314 Posts
i think dx10 will beat the consoles,  i'm just not sure it's gonna be crysis.  ea's involvment makes me nervouse,  look at black.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
I need to find a good gaming PC. (I am using a stupid Windows XP laptop right now). Anyone with a heads up, on where to get good ones, as cheap as possible?
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts

i think dx10 will beat the consoles,  i'm just not sure it's gonna be crysis.  ea's involvment makes me nervouse,  look at black.rdo

I'm not worried, look at Episode 1.

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
[QUOTE="lawsonboy"]Gears of War has the best graphics of ANY game out on the market.  But when Crysis and DX10 come out, if that game looks way better than Gears (Pictures don't lie), will it give the PC back the momentum as the best system to play games on?

tenaka2
So what your saying is that for people that can't afford a decent PC that a cheap console is better? I agree with that. In 12 months time the 360 will start to look very very dated but for people who are to poor to upgrade then consoles are a good choice.

Personally I don't think the PC is going to be as superior to the 360 as PC gamers are making it. I heard that Gears only used something like 90% of one of the 360's cores and split the remaining 10% between the other cores. I'm not a technical expert by any means, but that sounds like a ton of processing power left unused. Also since running a PC and running a 360 are very different operations you can't just compare numbers like many people here do. Finally it just makes sense that the 360 will have much better looking games coming out. If a game like Gears can come out only 1 year after launch, just imagine what developers can do by the end of the 360's cycle.
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trix5817
Member since 2004 • 12252 Posts
Gears of War has the best graphics of ANY game out on the market. But when Crysis and DX10 come out, if that game looks way better than Gears (Pictures don't lie), will it give the PC back the momentum as the best system to play games on?

Right now it is highly debatable considering that the 360 has the best sports, shooters, racing, sandbox, and rpg games out on it. Sure you can supe up your PC to have way more power right now than the 360, but still no PC game beats Gears so that $$ is a waste if you can't beat a $400 console. DX 10 video cards are at least $400 alone. I think people will pay it if the games look and play that much better. AS for now, these are the best games out and they are on the 360.

Sports: Madden 07, Top Spin 2, Fight Night Rd. 3
Racing: PGR3, Test Drive, Burn out Revenge
Shooter: GRAW, Rainbow 6, GEARS
Sandbox: Saints Row, Crackdown
RPG: Oblvion, Blue Dragon
Fighting: DOA4

lawsonboy

No, those aren't the best games out. I would much rather play, BF2 and it's mods, CoH, M2TW, SupCom, CSS, ArmA, mods for HL2, and UT2k4. PC's also had the most AAA of 2006. So no, the 360 doesn't have the best games. A lot of the ones you listed are mulitplay anyways.
Goldensun48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Goldensun48
Member since 2006 • 1181 Posts
Gosh i want a PC!!:cry:. DX10 dont even know what that is but sounds cool lol!
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trix5817
[QUOTE="tenaka2"][QUOTE="lawsonboy"]Gears of War has the best graphics of ANY game out on the market. But when Crysis and DX10 come out, if that game looks way better than Gears (Pictures don't lie), will it give the PC back the momentum as the best system to play games on?

Right now it is highly debatable considering that the 360 has the best sports, shooters, racing, sandbox, and rpg games out on it. Sure you can supe up your PC to have way more power right now than the 360, but still no PC game beats Gears so that $$ is a waste if you can't beat a $400 console. DX 10 video cards are at least $400 alone. I think people will pay it if the games look and play that much better. AS for now, these are the best games out and they are on the 360.

Sports: Madden 07, Top Spin 2, Fight Night Rd. 3
Racing: PGR3, Test Drive, Burn out Revenge
Shooter: GRAW, Rainbow 6, GEARS
Sandbox: Saints Row, Crackdown
RPG: Oblvion, Blue Dragon
Fighting: DOA4

pundog

Personally I don't think the PC is going to be as superior to the 360 as PC gamers are making it. I heard that Gears only used something like 90% of one of the 360's cores and split the remaining 10% between the other cores. I'm not a technical expert by any means, but that sounds like a ton of processing power left unused. Also since running a PC and running a 360 are very different operations you can't just compare numbers like many people here do. Finally it just makes sense that the 360 will have much better looking games coming out. If a game like Gears can come out only 1 year after launch, just imagine what developers can do by the end of the 360's cycle.

No. PC games have always had the best looking games each gen. Don't even try to argue that. And with the 90% of the core thing, the same goes for PC's. No game out right now really takes advantage of multiple core CPU's. For a lot of games they actually decrease performance. So that arguement is pointless.
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts

lawsonboy
Oblivion with mods looks better than Gears, and people don't build PC to beat consoles. If a PC is more powerful than the 360 then games will look better on that PC. Consoles never get huge improvements in graphics like PCs do with new hardware.
hellzhitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hellzhitman
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts
[QUOTE="Shirley_Temple"]IMO Extraction Point is graphically superior to Gears.Spartan070
Well I won't argue since you said imo...

Although it is debatable to an extent.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
Nothing looks better than Gears right now stop lying. /thread
Thug_Pikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Thug_Pikachu
Member since 2006 • 4725 Posts
Alan Wake already looks better than Crysis
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 muscleserge
Nothing looks better than Gears right now stop lying. /threadJiveT
prove it, because from what I saw Oblivion with mods for PC looked better.
primetime2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 primetime2121
Member since 2004 • 3953 Posts
IMO Extraction Point is graphically superior to Gears.Shirley_Temple

IMO Super Mario Bros 1 has better graphics than Extraction Point...
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
I need to find a good gaming PC. (I am using a stupid Windows XP laptop right now). Anyone with a heads up, on where to get good ones, as cheap as possible?Tulak_Hord
Check parts at newegg.com. Search there for Intel Core2Duo, 2 GB of Kingston or OCZ RAM, an Enermax Liberty 600w Power Supply, and a nVidia 8600. That should get you started. Post in the PC hardware forums here at GS if you have more questions.
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 muscleserge
 VS  this oblivion Pic is NOT with Mods.
Thug_Pikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Thug_Pikachu
what else on PC other than Crysis needs Direct 10 ?
primetime2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 primetime2121
you be smoking some rocks if you think Oblivion has better graphics than Gears
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 muscleserge
you be smoking some rocks if you think Oblivion has better graphics than Gearsprimetime2121
On 360 NO, on PC with mods yes.
chigga102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chigga102
Member since 2005 • 389 Posts
I need to find a good gaming PC. (I am using a stupid Windows XP laptop right now). Anyone with a heads up, on where to get good ones, as cheap as possible?Tulak_Hord

If i were u i would go to newegg.com and build one myself and i cost lest than $1000
RocKtheCasbaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 RocKtheCasbaH
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts
It's always the same when new consoles come out. They have the best graphics then after a year or two the pc has caught up then far surpast them.

The first signs we'll see this gen will be after the first DX10 games are out.
Within 12 months the PC will have the edge again and within 2 years it will be firmly back on the throne.

Bear in mind the 360 has been out 15 months and even though the PS3 is new it's 12 month old technology that was put on hold for blueray.

This is assuming it continues to get strong support as everyone is putting games out for the consoles now as that's where the big money is.
primetime2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 primetime2121
[QUOTE="primetime2121"]you be smoking some rocks if you think Oblivion has better graphics than Gearsmuscleserge

h3ll no..
rdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rdo
Member since 2004 • 10314 Posts
[QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"]I need to find a good gaming PC. (I am using a stupid Windows XP laptop right now). Anyone with a heads up, on where to get good ones, as cheap as possible?chigga102

If i were u i would go to newegg.com and build one myself and i cost lest than $1000

and wait for the r600 from ati,  i think it's gonna blow nvidia away.  there aren't any dx10 games coming out for months so there's no hurry.  if you are afraid to build your own try http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm   you can select the parts and they'll put it together,  and it's cheaper than alienware.  but if you just buy a good book and follow it you should be able to build your own.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheCrazed420
what else on PC other than Crysis needs Direct 10 ?Thug_Pikachu
Crysis doesn't need DX10. But upcoming games on PC that support DX10 would be SupremeCommander, Alan Wake, Age of Conan, UT3...
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 muscleserge
[QUOTE="muscleserge"][QUOTE="primetime2121"]you be smoking some rocks if you think Oblivion has better graphics than Gearsprimetime2121

h3ll no..

prove it, I still see no proof.
Thug_Pikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Thug_Pikachu
[QUOTE="Thug_Pikachu"]what else on PC other than Crysis needs Direct 10 ?TheCrazed420
Crysis doesn't need DX10. But upcoming games on PC that support DX10 would be SupremeCommander, Alan Wake, Age of Conan, UT3...

but again what games on PC REQUIRE dx10
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
[QUOTE="primetime2121"][QUOTE="muscleserge"][QUOTE="primetime2121"]you be smoking some rocks if you think Oblivion has better graphics than Gearsmuscleserge

h3ll no..

prove it, I still see no proof.

You're the one making the claim...
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darth_Stalin
[QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"]I need to find a good gaming PC. (I am using a stupid Windows XP laptop right now). Anyone with a heads up, on where to get good ones, as cheap as possible?TheCrazed420
Check parts at newegg.com. Search there for Intel Core2Duo, 2 GB of Kingston or OCZ RAM, an Enermax Liberty 600w Power Supply, and a nVidia 8600. That should get you started. Post in the PC hardware forums here at GS if you have more questions.

Alright, thanks.
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts
[QUOTE="tenaka2"][QUOTE="lawsonboy"]Gears of War has the best graphics of ANY game out on the market.  But when Crysis and DX10 come out, if that game looks way better than Gears (Pictures don't lie), will it give the PC back the momentum as the best system to play games on?

pundog

The CPU doesnt determine how good of graphics you can have. Yeah thats alot of processing power. Yeah what about quadcore??? You saying that doesnt have alot of processing power.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Darth_Stalin
[QUOTE="chigga102"][QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"]I need to find a good gaming PC. (I am using a stupid Windows XP laptop right now). Anyone with a heads up, on where to get good ones, as cheap as possible?rdo

and wait for the r600 from ati, i think it's gonna blow nvidia away. there aren't any dx10 games coming out for months so there's no hurry. if you are afraid to build your own try http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm you can select the parts and they'll put it together, and it's cheaper than alienware. but if you just buy a good book and follow it you should be able to build your own.

I have checked ibuypower, their computers are really nice. The one I built (based on specs I would want) costed a little over $1000 bucks. I just want to see if there is anything cheaper first.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
Quick question; does DX10 work only for Vista, or will there also be an update available for XP to upgrade DX9? I'm not planning to upgrade my OS any time soon.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#35 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Quick question; does DX10 work only for Vista, or will there also be an update available for XP to upgrade DX9? I'm not planning to upgrade my OS any time soon.AdobeArtist
As far as I know, you can only get DX10 level graphics on Vista (and Mac! Thank you NVidia :) )
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 muscleserge
lets start with this  note the reflections, and the draw distance.
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Killfox
Quick question; does DX10 work only for Vista, or will there also be an update available for XP to upgrade DX9? I'm not planning to upgrade my OS any time soon.AdobeArtist
Im pretty sure its just for vista. Thats where they get you. Vista to me isnt worth it yet. But it soon it will be after they work out all the kinks. Because right now you will get slower FPS in games with vista than XP.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheCrazed420
[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="Thug_Pikachu"]what else on PC other than Crysis needs Direct 10 ?Thug_Pikachu

As far as I know , zero games require DX10.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]Quick question; does DX10 work only for Vista, or will there also be an update available for XP to upgrade DX9? I'm not planning to upgrade my OS any time soon.Killfox
Im pretty sure its just for vista. Thats where they get you. Vista to me isnt worth it yet. But it soon it will be after they work out all the kinks. Because right now you will get slower FPS in games with vista than XP.

My biggest problem with Vista is this feature where it can periodically scan your system and if it finds any unregistered apps, it can delete them. I heard this from a few people, one of them who works at Futureshop (a big Canadian tech box store).
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Killfox
[QUOTE="Thug_Pikachu"][QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="Thug_Pikachu"]what else on PC other than Crysis needs Direct 10 ?TheCrazed420

As far as I know , zero games require DX10.

I think the only games are Flight simulator X and Company of Heroes through a patch of some sort.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Darth_Stalin
Yeah, i think I will look more at Ibuypower, I don't think I want to experiment with a gaming computer....
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Killfox
Yeah, i think I will look more at Ibuypower, I don't think I want to experiment with a gaming computer....Tulak_Hord
I think the best way to learn about computers is to build it yourself. It really wasnt that difficult. Just ask the guys at the PC hardware forum and they would help you through it. Because you want to change out something. Your going to need to know how to do it. If you dont then you have to take to computer store and have them put it in for like $50.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheCrazed420
[QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"]Yeah, i think I will look more at Ibuypower, I don't think I want to experiment with a gaming computer....Killfox
I think the best way to learn about computers is to build it yourself. It really wasnt that difficult. Just ask the guys at the PC hardware forum and they would help you through it. Because you want to change out something. Your going to need to know how to do it. If you dont then you have to take to computer store and have them put it in for like $50.

Yup. And trust us, once you start learning how a computer works and how to upgrade/modify, it's very addicting. Knowledge is power, friend...
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 trix5817
[QUOTE="primetime2121"]you be smoking some rocks if you think Oblivion has better graphics than Gearsmuscleserge

Yep, I agree. You have to take into account that Oblivion takes place in a HUGE free roaming world also. Gears maps are small and linear. Also, Medival2:TW gives me more of a WOW! factor when playing than Gears. It has thousands of thousands of units on screen at once all in a massive battle with artillery fire coming in and arrows being shot. It's an amazing site to see.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Darth_Stalin
[QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"]Yeah, i think I will look more at Ibuypower, I don't think I want to experiment with a gaming computer....Killfox

PC Hardware on Gamespot? Putting a few components, in here and there won't be hard to do, but building it from ground up. I haven't tried that b4.
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 trix5817
[QUOTE="Killfox"][QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"]Yeah, i think I will look more at Ibuypower, I don't think I want to experiment with a gaming computer....Tulak_Hord

PC Hardware on Gamespot? Putting a few components, in here and there won't be hard to do, but building it from ground up. I haven't tried that b4.

It really isn't as hard as you think. There are a ton of great guides out there. Just google it. That's what I did when I built my first PC.
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Killfox
[QUOTE="Killfox"][QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"]Yeah, i think I will look more at Ibuypower, I don't think I want to experiment with a gaming computer....Tulak_Hord

Hey if you need help just message me. I think the hardest thing is probably doing all the OS stuff and put all those programs you want on your computer and stuff. It honestly really isnt that hard. Alot of things are pretty self explainatory. Also its very fun and addicting.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Darth_Stalin
[QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"][QUOTE="Killfox"][QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"]Yeah, i think I will look more at Ibuypower, I don't think I want to experiment with a gaming computer....Killfox

Hey if you need help just message me. I think the hardest thing is probably doing all the OS stuff and put all those programs you want on your computer and stuff. It honestly really isnt that hard. Alot of things are pretty self explainatory. Also its very fun and addicting.

Alright, I'll look it up. I think I see the faq. I'll take a look at it.
primetime2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 primetime2121
[QUOTE="muscleserge"][QUOTE="primetime2121"]you be smoking some rocks if you think Oblivion has better graphics than Gearstrix5817

Yep, I agree. You have to take into account that Oblivion takes place in a HUGE free roaming world also. Gears maps are small and linear. Also, Medival2:TW gives me more of a WOW! factor when playing than Gears. It has thousands of thousands of units on screen at once all in a massive battle with artillery fire coming in and arrows being shot. It's an amazing site to see.

Medieval 2 doesnt look better ..I condt care if there are 100000000 units on screen...Gears of War looks superior to anything on PC right now...aceept it and move on
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Killfox
[QUOTE="trix5817"][QUOTE="muscleserge"][QUOTE="primetime2121"]you be smoking some rocks if you think Oblivion has better graphics than Gearsprimetime2121

Medieval 2 doesnt look better ..I condt care if there are 100000000 units on screen...Gears of War looks superior to anything on PC right now...aceept it and move on

I think oblivion looks better because its on a bigger scale than gears. Gears is linear and looks really good(not as good as E3 05). But oblivion looks pretty good and its in larger areas. I probably could say if oblivion was in the size of gears levels. Then it would look better.