Dude wins PS4, breaks same day, White Light of Doom

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by clyde46 (43932 posts) -
#2 Edited by Boddicker (2379 posts) -

This is why I refuse to buy a launch console.

WLoD FTW!!!!!!!!

#3 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

it lasted way longer than i expected

#4 Edited by always_explicit (2655 posts) -

So it begins... haha I love launch.

#5 Edited by lostrib (32942 posts) -

Don't go into the light!

#6 Posted by TheKazfather (200 posts) -

He probably placed it in a plastic box in order to cause a stir.

#7 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

Wow, I hate to say I told ya so.......but I FUCKING TOLD YA SO.

#8 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23410 posts) -

since this is system wars that translates to 100% of all ps4s are defective.

#9 Edited by Heil68 (43158 posts) -

For the controller? I'm sure there is a way to correct that.

#10 Posted by NineTailedGoku (1927 posts) -

No videos, photos, nothing? How do we know this wasn't made up by some Xbox fanboy?

#11 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Nope.

"After playing a brief game of NBA 2k14 I quit and inserted my battlefield 4 disk. The system prompted for an update, so while watching the progress bar (Around 20%) my controller light turned from blue to white. Hasn't worked since...

Get those extended warranties ready! and SCEA on speed dial!"

Also - http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1qjz51/so_i_also_got_a_faulty_ps4_from_tacobell_here_is/

#12 Edited by stereointegrity (10697 posts) -

why are we posting another forum post as info now...

#13 Edited by Desmonic (13179 posts) -

Damnit it clyde! Was gonna make some "lol White Light of DOOOMZ" comments only to read the link and realize he is talking abou the DS4 controller, not the console itself :P

#14 Edited by FastEddie2121 (3081 posts) -

Banderas is not pleased...

#15 Edited by freedomfreak (38637 posts) -

This shit happens.

#16 Posted by Boddicker (2379 posts) -

I wonder if Sony can recover from a RROD like fail rate? Probably not.

Please let this be limited to a small amount of launch consoles, Lord Kaz.

#17 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -
#18 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5021 posts) -

Ok? lol

#19 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

Kotaku too- http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-4-the-kotaku-review-in-progress-1463521231

We did hit one hardware speed bump that we're hoping/guessing is an anomaly

Aside from all this online stuff, there's one other awkward detail that I can't accurately assess at this moment. It's this: the first retail PS4 we got from Sony didn't work.

#20 Posted by lawlessx (46393 posts) -
#21 Posted by shawn30 (4361 posts) -

There's another poster on Redditt who's PS4 bricked too. He said when he called Sony there was nothing they could do until launch day.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1qjhun/i_have_the_taco_bell_ps4_right_now_in_my_hands_ama/

Also,

http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-4-the-kotaku-review-in-progress-1463521231?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Here are the facts: In the past week, my Kotaku colleagues and I have used one pre-release PS4 and three retail PS4s with no problems. I've also heard from fellow gaming reporters who've used their PS4s with no problems. But the first retail unit that Sony provided me failed to work when I plugged it into a TV in Kotaku's office. A colleague and I were able to compare it to a second PS4 that did work and we found that the issue was rather simple: the bad unit had a faulty HDMI jack that we couldn't fully plug an HDMI cable into. It couldn't make a solid connection and therefore, apparently, couldn't transmit a stable signal to our TV. We tried different cables and monitors. The issue was with the console.

I certainly hope this is a fluke. I've asked Sony to share any insights they have into how common this issue has been. They've not provided any official reply yet, but a rep did seem surprised when I first told him about it. Obviously, we'll be keeping an eye out for any other reports of this issue. Again, to be clear, the other four units we've tested first-hand have worked fine.

I guess we'll see how this all plays out.

#22 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (756 posts) -

That really sucks. I would be furious. I'm not buying a console a launch. Will wait until next year andif issues has not been ironed out, then i'll just wait until it is so

#23 Posted by Heil68 (43158 posts) -

@danabo said:

@Heil68 said:

Nope.

"After playing a brief game of NBA 2k14 I quit and inserted my battlefield 4 disk. The system prompted for an update, so while watching the progress bar (Around 20%) my controller light turned from blue to white. Hasn't worked since...

Also - http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1qjz51/so_i_also_got_a_faulty_ps4_from_tacobell_here_is/

Doesn't mean its not fixable does it? What did he do to try to correct it?

#24 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

There have been 2 other issues on /r/ps4 too.

I guess they all put the console inside a plastic box.

#25 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

Panic at the disco!

#26 Posted by Desmonic (13179 posts) -

Also, reading the link, the system flashes Blue. The controller is the one that goes white. So...err..let's see... Flashing Blue Light of Doom?..No?... Blue Indicator of Doom?..No?....Blue Flash of Doom? BFoD...sounds alright...eh, I'm sure someone will come up with something better soon :P

#27 Edited by darkangel115 (1467 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@danabo said:

@Heil68 said:

Nope.

He's still trying to fix it.

#28 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@danabo said:

@Heil68 said:

Nope.

Sony has told him to reinstall update 1.50 from USB a couple of times from what I can gather.

#29 Posted by lostrib (32942 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Also, reading the link, the system flashes Blue. The controller is the one that goes white. So...err..let's see... Flashing Blue Light of Doom?..No?... Blue Indicator of Doom?..No?....Blue Flash of Doom? BFoD...sounds alright...eh, I'm sure someone will come up with something better soon :P

BFoD....BFuckeD

#30 Edited by resevl4rlz (3249 posts) -

Wow, I hate to say I told ya so.......but I FUCKING TOLD YA SO.

its ONE system, i can't wait till all the hardware failures come from xbone

#31 Edited by always_explicit (2655 posts) -

Lets keep this bumped until some Gamespotters consoles start bricking, I wanna see this baby reach 1000.

#32 Posted by Ninja-Hippo (23426 posts) -

Launch hardware is always god-awful. I cant see Sony having RROD-type problems.

#33 Posted by Heil68 (43158 posts) -

Lets keep this bumped until some Gamespotters consoles start bricking, I wanna see this baby reach 1000.

It was the controller not the console.

#34 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16737 posts) -

So his controller broke. Sucks, but at least it wasn't the PS4 itself.

#35 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

I wish the internet was like this when my PS2 died within the first week.

#36 Posted by Tighaman (719 posts) -

Yeah, i seen this GAF was wanting to see pics WHILE DUDE IS ON THE PHONE WITH SONY TRYING TO FIX THE PROBLEM THEY JOKING SAYING ITS NOT TRUE WANTING SOMEONE TO BAN HIM. They ruthless over at daGaf

#37 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

Eh only few people managed to get it early. It may be interesting when the thing actually launches.

Although for all the trolling on cows we do here, I really hope this doesn't turn into a real issue for Sony.

#38 Edited by YD_11 (1616 posts) -

Hmm sounds pretty similar to issues I experienced with the kiosk at best buy..

#40 Posted by always_explicit (2655 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@always_explicit said:

Dat build quality!

#41 Posted by Desmonic (13179 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Desmonic said:

BFoD....BFuckeD

I knew someone would give it a better twist than me haha XD Pretty fitting lol

#42 Posted by DarthBilf (1356 posts) -

Man, the PS4 could really use some good news right now, it's just getting crushed.

#43 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@always_explicit said:

It was the console.

#44 Posted by Heil68 (43158 posts) -

@edidili said:

@Heil68 said:

@always_explicit said:

It was the console.

"(Around 20%) my controller light turned from blue to white. Hasn't worked since..."

#45 Posted by Snugenz (11660 posts) -

since this is system wars that translates to 100% of all ps4s are defective.

Quoted for Truth, time to spread this "truth" across the internets...

#46 Posted by Whiteknight19 (1303 posts) -

I refuse to believe this until I see pics or a video of the actual problem and as far as the unitsin best buy aint they the demo units?

#47 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

"(Around 20%) my controller light turned from blue to white. Hasn't worked since..."

You can always read the thread. Especially when the title says "my PS4 seems broken"

#48 Posted by avigeil (714 posts) -

#49 Posted by Ninja-Hippo (23426 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@edidili said:

@Heil68 said:

@always_explicit said:

It was the console.

It's weird, you are able to quote exact lines from the thread yet simultaneously don't seem able to read.

#50 Edited by NineTailedGoku (1927 posts) -

Thats what squaretrade is for.