Dualshock 4 HYPE going through the roof

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Its been almost 16 years since the PlayStations primary input device last demanded real scrutiny. The introduction of the DualShock in late 1997 ushered a new standard for video game control that hasnt changed a whole lot over the past decade and a half. Sure, the peripheral has been host to a handful of tweaks over the years, scooping up accelerometers and spongy triggers along the way, but many of its changes have been iterative rather than evolutionary.

However, the DualShock 4, the brand new controller bundled with the PlayStation 4, represents the classic designs greatest progression since its very inception. And yet, beneath its impressive list of improvements remains a device thats still reminiscent of its predecessor from yesteryear. But could Sonys latest peripheral be the greatest input device ever conceived? The jurys still out, but the signs are certainly reassuring.

The first thing that youll notice about the DualShock 4 is that it just feels right. While it may look a little peculiar in front-facing press shots the touchpad appearing a little crude in the centre of the device  it melts into your hands like ice cream into the grooves of warm Belgian waffles. Your fingers are no longer forced to adopt an uneasy position around the rear of the unit a common complaint of the original DualShock instead slipping into the agonisingly ergonomic curves at the back of the peripheral.

The controllers slightly larger size gives it a little more girth to grip onto particularly in the elongated handles but it doesnt feel cumbersome or exaggerated as a result; its weight is comparable to the current DualShock 3, packing a few extra grams that are well dispersed throughout the chassis. Elsewhere, theres a texture on the back of the device that gives it a really polished finish.

A similar layer of love and attention has been applied to the triggers, which were perhaps the most disappointing aspects of the PlayStation 3s controller. Fortunately these feel exceptional, with the customary L1 and R1 buttons adopting a slightly rounded shape to fit into the bend of your index fingers. Meanwhile, the L2 and R2 triggers boast a much springier feel, and flick out at the tips to avoid slippage. Playing a game such as DriveClub, for example, demonstrates the improvements in this area, allowing you to precisely manipulate the acceleration of your vehicle.

The analogue sticks have gone through a similar process of refinement, shedding the loose motion of their predecessors. They now feel much more tightly connected to the chassis, allowing you to make much more minute motions with enhanced accuracy. The ribbed edges at the extremities of the mushroom-shaped inputs feel a little unnecessary, but are certainly not an irritation. Its perhaps worth adding that the sticks are now also placed further apart, meaning the chances of your thumbs connecting mid-game are much, much lower.

On the main surface of the controller, the improvements are less noticeable. The famous face buttons feel pretty familiar, though the removal of the analogue technology from previous controllers has resulted in a little more click. The d-pad mimics this, though its still not quite as satisfying to operate as the excellent PlayStation Vita cross-stick. Elsewhere, the absence of the Start and Select buttons is a little jarring at first, but the new 'Share' and 'Options' inputs are at least well positioned to the sides of the touchpad. The colourful strip across the top of the device gives the DualShock 4 a pretty impressive futuristic look.

And as for that new addition itself, its inclusion is still yet to be fully justified. Titles such as The Playroom see you controlling Pong paddles with the tactile input, while Killzone: Shadow Fall allows you to cycle between the operations of your OWL support unit. Its definitely responsive and easily within reach, but were yet to see a standout reason for its implementation. The device can be clicked for an added input, so if nothing else, it can be employed as an extra button when necessary.

The light bar, however, is much more interesting. First and foremost, the colourful strip across the top of the device gives the controller a pretty futuristic look. Its the first thing that youll notice about the DualShock 4, and games such as Hohokum which change the shade of the illuminated surface according to the hue of your snake make it a novel and pronounced effect. Of course, this can also be tracked in a similar manner to the PlayStation Move, allowing you to spray champagne out of your controller in augmented reality games such as the aforementioned Playroom. Our only concern here is glare, which could become problematic on televisions with glass fronts.

Furthering the motion functionality, the accelerometers within the PS4 controller are also vastly improved. While the SIXAXIS technology in the PS3s controller felt jerky, its successor is able to detect even the most subtle of tilts. This is on par with the excellent accelerometers inside the PlayStation Vita, making us hope that developers actually use it in subtle ways moving forwards.

And if all of that wasnt enough, the rumble functionality in the DualShock 4 is far superior, too. As opposed to a single motor, the new unit actually boasts multiple vibrators which are spread across the device. This allows developers to create more believable feedback effects, which are perhaps best demonstrated, once again, in The Playroom. Here, when you tilt the controller in different directions, you can feel it vibrate on different sides. Its a cool effect that helps to create the illusion that youre moving objects around the internals of the device.

These additions and refinements result in a vastly improved controller. Its too early to say whether it will be gamings greatest ever input device, but its certainly a serious step forward from the DualShock 3. The enhanced feel, triggers, and analogue sticks will immediately delight veterans, while theres some serious promise in the new features, too. Our only concern now is returning to the current controller when weve had such a tantalising taste of the future.

Source :http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/...r_input_device

Access Indepth demo (Highly Recommend)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgq48-TePBI

ChampChong Impressions (COD pro gamer impressions)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuqZSNzNYa8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJYhbfcRhMM

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
God lord. Someone TL : DR.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Why the f*ck did they keep the accelerometer.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
God lord. Someone TL : DR. clyde46
Or get rid of the yellow text! Lol.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61544 Posts

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

it looks better from what i have seen.

SoulSnare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SoulSnare
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
i must drag the text to read it lol, well i think ps4 controller is good as it is (no fanboy intended)
CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts

Riverwolf007
It is truly next gen controlling. I mean, there is so much it adds to gaming now which now can't be done on the xbox or it's last generation controller it's still using.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I'm sick of hearing about this damn controller and posting a HUGE wall of text doesn't help

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
If the most comfortable position is with my thumb on the d-pad rather than the analog stick, you know the primary input for almost every game released since the Dualshock 1 back in 1997, then they still don't get it imo.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I do love the cross buttons on the Vita, makes fighting games a cinch to play (minus full circle combos). So looking forward to this new controller.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

CJ_ofCamelot

It is truly next gen controlling. I mean, there is so much it adds to gaming now which now can't be done on the xbox or it's last generation controller it's still using.

also this time around you won't have to replace your controllers  because rumble was 8 months late to the party.

ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 ShadowofSonic
Member since 2009 • 24616 Posts
Looks awesome.
CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CJ_ofCamelot
If the most comfortable position is with my thumb on the d-pad rather than the analog stick, you know the primary input for almost every game released since the Dualshock 1 back in 1997, then they still don't get it imo.Senor_Kami
Talk about body symmetry. There are 2 analog sticks.
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 megaspiderweb09

I'm sick of hearing about this damn controller and posting a HUGE wall of text doesn't help

seanmcloughlin

Noo you are not, you should watch the Youtube link :P

Also i was at GAME today cause i wanted to get a part time job, played a little bit of Forza and guess what, there were Sony workers there setting up what i am assuming would be a demo booth. Also my school here in cambridge had a festival with Sony first party studios like Guerilla Cambridge, i have a huge feeling Sony is talent hunting

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CJ_ofCamelot
[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]If the most comfortable position is with my thumb on the d-pad rather than the analog stick, you know the primary input for almost every game released since the Dualshock 1 back in 1997, then they still don't get it imo.CJ_ofCamelot
Talk about body symmetry. There are 2 analog sticks.

Play it like this for your one-sided deformation. dualshock-4.jpg
ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

Horrible yellow text... needs nerf!

A controller is a controller, i couldnt care any less if the dualshock 4 was exactly the same as the 3 or an exact copy of the 360 controller. I adapt well to all of them, EXCEPT that wiimote+nunchuck-pain-in-the-ass.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's a garbage controller that hasn't changed in almost 20 years.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
Wall of text that I won't be reading. The YELLOW burns my eyes. lol!!
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61544 Posts

Jaysonguy

They Dualshock 4 has entirely different dimensions :? The layout remains the same, which is largely my issue.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Poor cows have been stuck with an old, tired design for nearly 20 years now LOL I'm not surprised this updated DS is getting hyped through the roof.

I welcome cows to the world of comfortable controllers. Lems have been there since 2001 :cool:

megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 megaspiderweb09

It seems the press accross the UK are getting their share of the console, perhaps it is because Gamescom is close (hope i can attend), here is a video showing the PS4 is actually a little smaller than the PS3 slim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a6cjcB085s

megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 megaspiderweb09

New CVG hands on and direct comparison with Dualshock 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XttFOCESSCs

Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
DS4 looks and sounds amazing.
Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts

Poor cows have been stuck with an old, tired design for nearly 20 years now LOL I'm not surprised this updated DS is getting hyped through the roof.

I welcome cows to the world of comfortable controllers. Lems have been there since 2001 :cool:

RR360DD

When are you going to just crawl back inside your hole and f*ck yourself off? You are by far the most least interesting, unfunny troll on this forum. I feel like you're in your mid 30s and you've never had any sort of social stimulation outside of this forum.

also "Lems have been there since 2001" you mean the massive sh*t of a controller that was the duke? Seriously man, atleast try to put some effort in your piss poor trolling. Everything about you is annoying, I wouldn't be surprised if you had little to no friends in real life. You just seem like a really, really lame dude.

razu2444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 razu2444
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts
The PS4 Controller is a better colour than this thread
Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

seanmcloughlin

Problem Mr. Manticore? Lems brag about their controller WAY more than cows do. 

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14504 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Sagemode87

Ain't that the truth. But they're right, 360pad>DS3.
Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sagemode87

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

Novotine

When are you going to just crawl back inside your hole and f*ck yourself off? You are by far the most least interesting, unfunny troll on this forum. I feel like you're in your mid 30s and you've never had any sort of social stimulation outside of this forum.

also "Lems have been there since 2001" you mean the massive sh*t of a controller that was the duke? Seriously man, atleast try to put some effort in your piss poor trolling. Everything about you is annoying, I wouldn't be surprised if you had little to no friends in real life. You just seem like a really, really lame dude.

Owned! And all lems seem to act this way now. They lost their marbles after the X1 reveal in May. Now they type the most delusional bullshit you'd ever read. It's like they know what their typing is BS and they type it just for the sake of trolling. 

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sagemode87

[QUOTE="Sagemode87"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Basinboy

For FPS, nothing more. Now that's out the window as well with DS4 and X1pad. DS4 seems easily more well rounded and is far more praised with critics. 

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34795 Posts

Can't believe they didn't switch places for the d-pad and left analog stick. I still have to stretch down my thumb in an awkward position to play PS games? Pass.

maheo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 maheo30
Member since 2006 • 5102 Posts

Jaysonguy
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14504 Posts

[QUOTE="Basinboy"][QUOTE="Sagemode87"]

Sagemode87

For FPS, nothing more. Now that's out the window as well with DS4 and X1pad. DS4 seems easily more well rounded and is far more praised with critics. 

True enough. 3rd-person games were equally enjoyable on either DS3 or 360pad, but the build quality is still incomparable. 360 certainly feels far more premium (except for its shoulder buttons, pieces of sh*t). Can't wait to give the DS4 a test-run, looks awesome.
Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sagemode87

[QUOTE="Sagemode87"]

[QUOTE="Basinboy"] Ain't that the truth. But they're right, 360pad>DS3.Basinboy

True enough. 3rd-person games were equally enjoyable on either DS3 or 360pad, but the build quality is still incomparable. 360 certainly feels far more premium (except for its shoulder buttons, pieces of sh*t). Can't wait to give the DS4 a test-run, looks awesome.

I agree on the materials. It's good to see Sony kicked it up a few notches. I look forward to trying it out as well. 

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
People are getting hyped for a controller? Good lord.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
is the controller compatible with pc or need a 3rd party program? i want to use this beast on my pc!
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

Novotine

Oh wow, is this the biggest case of butthurt on this site?

:lol:

Pleb

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts

I've never liked the analog sticks on the playstation controllers so really hoping the DS4 lives up the hype.

Loved the 360 pad so going to be tought to please.

Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shensolidus
Member since 2003 • 931 Posts

As someone who has handled both next-gen controllers intimately for long periods of time, i'm super excited to get more time in with the DS4. It is an incredible piece of hardware that shouldn't be as comfy or intuitive as it feels based on outward appearance alone.

Until you grip it... :)

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
Jesus christ, why is SW full of people who have the attention span of a 10 year old? Every single time something longer than one paragraph is posted, everybody goes "hurr durr TL;DR pls??". Anyway, good read, thanks TC. I didn't know that the light bar thingy can change colors according to what happens in the game, I'm even more excited now. But PLEASE, get rid of the yellow text!