Dual Shock 4.... and my 30 years of gaming.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by whatsazerg (188 posts) -

I popped into my local game store today to trade in a couple titles that just weren't doing it for me (PokémonX & Monster Hunter 3 U)... and surprise, they had a PS4 demo running... I meandered around the store until other people had vacated the premises.... long story short, the Dual Shock 4 is the best controller these hands have ever held... picking it up was like pulling on a perfectly sized glove that fit in all the right ways... the placement of the analogs, the new triggers and the curvature of the grips was probably the most surprising... its like Sony took a caste of my hand before going into production of the thing.

Up til now I'd argue that the 360 controller was top dog..... not anymore. It's not even close.

PS. Got some hands on time with Knack... it was kinda fun... and beautiful to look at in person. Not something I'd buy at $60 though. BF4 / ACIV day 1 for this guy.

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (36429 posts) -

Okay.

#3 Posted by foxhound_fox (85321 posts) -

Nice blog.

#4 Edited by Zophar87 (4324 posts) -

Cool story bro

#5 Edited by joel_c17 (2763 posts) -

Yeah i think it was IGN who had a feature of the ds4 controller - they were saying how sony improved pretty much every aspect of the ds3 and that, with PC support it will most likely be the preferred controller next gen

#6 Edited by _Matt_ (8350 posts) -

Oh nice.

Can you confirm, was the demo actually running off a PS4 or a pc?

#7 Posted by lostrib (26306 posts) -
#8 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (2572 posts) -

Blog it, bra.

#9 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

Nice try cow

#10 Edited by whatsazerg (188 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Oh nice.

Don't know if you're serious.. or trying to troll... but the answer is yes... it was a PS4... I can also tell you it was running in a tiny plastic case (heat issues?) but was running fine.

#11 Edited by CleanPlayer (9687 posts) -

Probably the best controller my hands have ever held was Gamecube, but I can't wait to feel the Dual Shock 4 in 12 days. I'm still on the fence with Knack, I can't decide to buy it or ACIV with Target's Buy 2 Get 1 free deal

#12 Posted by MonsieurX (27046 posts) -

Cool.

#13 Posted by _Matt_ (8350 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Oh nice.

Don't know if you're serious.. or trying to troll... but the answer is yes... it was a PS4... I can also tell you it was running in a tiny plastic case (heat issues?) but was running fine.

No, I'm being serious. Want to know if these shops have genuine PS4s hooked up, or pcs with a model PS4.

#14 Edited by getyeryayasout (6379 posts) -

DS4 looks dope. I'm getting one to use for my PS3 so I can finally have proper triggers.

#15 Posted by Netret0120 (1537 posts) -

DS 4 is better than X1 controller

PS4 is cheaper

PS4 is more powerful

PS4 has more games in development

You know PS4 will have support for the longest time compared to the X1 whose development will end the second X2 is announced.

PSN is catching up to XBL

How is Xbox better than Playstation again?

#16 Posted by Desmonic (10374 posts) -

You traded Pokemon X? Not cool brah!

#17 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (15952 posts) -
#18 Posted by lundy86_4 (41656 posts) -

Great. I still prefer the 360 controller, but it's a definite improvement over the sh*te PS3 controller.

#19 Posted by FinalFighters (1247 posts) -

lmao i love the sig..Oh and nice blog.

#20 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

look at the haters telling him to blog

#21 Posted by lundy86_4 (41656 posts) -

@mrintro said:

Well, that's what it is.

#22 Edited by Krelian-co (9108 posts) -

bu bu bu but teh $ 100 million controller RD from teh microsoft!!!!! this cant be true.

#23 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (4883 posts) -

Lemmings are pissed because PS4 has the best controller and sheeps are pissed because OP traded in some Pokemon rehash.

#24 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

Sony fanboys go crazy for that archaic analog stick placement but I guess they enjoy playing 3D games with the d-pad or maybe it's just nostalgia.

#25 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (23659 posts) -

360 gamepad is the best gamepad.

Sony doesn't change their controllers much for it to be a real difference and Xbox One's controller is just an unnecessary change.

Microsoft perfected the gamepad with the 360.

#26 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (15952 posts) -

@mrintro said:

He post a blog and they are haters because they point it out? Wow it sure is amusing how things work in your head.

#27 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@mrintro said:

He post a blog and they are haters because they point it out? Wow it sure is amusing how things work in your head.

Dude, next gen is in 12 days - he's not allowed to talk about trying out the ps4 controller? Get real. If it really bothers you, report it to a mod and thne be on with it. No need to make comments then...

#28 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Sony doesn't change their controllers much for it to be a real difference and Xbox One's controller is just an unnecessary change.

Yeah and it took Sony like 18 years to actually make a decent version of the DS. Sony are too stubborn to change the stick placement which is surprising because the Sony motto is:

"Why innovate when we can duplicate?"

#29 Edited by treedoor (7478 posts) -

I'd look into buying one for my PC if it weren't for the Steam controller.

I've still got to wait on that bad boy.

#30 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

I finally got to try the DS4 controller. It's a step up from the DS3 but that isn't saying much, the worst part is that big ugly gimmicky screen in the middle, can't get my eyes off of it.

#31 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (23659 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Yeah and it took Sony like 18 years to actually make a decent version of the DS. Sony are too stubborn to change the stick placement which is surprising because the Sony motto is:

"Why innovate when we can duplicate?"

It's more of a "Why fix something that isn't Broken?"

360 Gamepad is the Best, but the Dual Shock Controller isn't flawed.

#32 Posted by mems_1224 (44761 posts) -
#33 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

I don't think it's so much that Sony "didn't" want to fix the dualshock.

You have to think that they kind of just squeezed dual analogs into the original PS1 controller later into its lifespan, so I can see why they'd keep the design rolling over to the PS2.

Then with the PS3 came the boomerang which I personally thought looked awesome (I am no fan of the dualshock, and welcomed ANY change). Nobody enjoyed it, so they just went back to the old design.

#34 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (15952 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

Dude, next gen is in 12 days - he's not allowed to talk about trying out the ps4 controller? Get real. If it really bothers you, report it to a mod and thne be on with it. No need to make comments then...

Doesn't change the fact it is a blog, so stop crying like a baby quoting me to try and press this issue.Your opinion is irrelevant against the facts. Fact is, it is a blog. The bigger question is, why do you feel the need to defend the TC as if he is incapable of it himself? Is he your boyfriend or something? Get over it and press on.

#35 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

Doesn't change the fact it is a blog, so stop crying like a baby quoting me to try and press this issue.Your opinion is irrelevant against the facts. Fact is, it is a blog. The bigger question is, why do you feel the need to defend the TC as if he is incapable of it himself? Is he your boyfriend or something? Get over it and press on.

Did you get rejected from mod school? Is that why you're trying so hard? What makes you feel entitled to say that, but tell me to move on? You sound like you have control issues. Can't stand when someone calls you out on something. Do me a favor, and take your own advice, buddy.

#36 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

I popped into my local game store today to trade in a couple titles that just weren't doing it for me (PokémonX & Monster Hunter 3 U)... and surprise, they had a PS4 demo running... I meandered around the store until other people had vacated the premises.... long story short, the Dual Shock 4 is the best controller these hands have ever held... picking it up was like pulling on a perfectly sized glove that fit in all the right ways... the placement of the analogs, the new triggers and the curvature of the grips was probably the most surprising... its like Sony took a caste of my hand before going into production of the thing.

Up til now I'd argue that the 360 controller was top dog..... not anymore. It's not even close.

PS. Got some hands on time with Knack... it was kinda fun... and beautiful to look at in person. Not something I'd buy at $60 though. BF4 / ACIV day 1 for this guy.

Nice, I need to check out my local store!

#37 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (15952 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

Did you get rejected from mod school? Is that why you're trying so hard? What makes you feel entitled to say that, but tell me to move on? You sound like you have control issues. Can't stand when someone calls you out on something. Do me a favor, and take your own advice, buddy.

I am entitled to say it because it is a fact. I don't have any control issue, but you have issues alright. Like I said earlier, it is amusing how things work in that mind of yours. You didn't call me out on anything. Are you really this stupid or just in the mood to play the role right now? Stating facts=control issue to you. Please continue on. I love seeing how things work in your head. Very entertaining.

#38 Posted by farrell2k (4601 posts) -

30 years and you've never touched snes controller? Newer game controllers are overweight abominations.

#39 Posted by Naylord (662 posts) -

Probably the best controller my hands have ever held was Gamecube, but I can't wait to feel the Dual Shock 4 in 12 days. I'm still on the fence with Knack, I can't decide to buy it or ACIV with Target's Buy 2 Get 1 free deal

YES! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. This controller gets ragged on all the time for its asymmetry, but that's what makes it wonderful. The asymmetric buttons and their weird placement causes them to each have their own identity in your mind. The association of different buttons with different abilities is so much stronger with that tactile difference of sensation. To this day I love playing Project M on my Wii and that is in no small part due to how great the GC controller is.

#40 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

I am entitled to say it because it is a fact. I don't have any control issue, but you have issues alright. Like I said earlier, it is amusing how things work in that mind of yours. You didn't call me out on anything. Are you really this stupid or just in the mood to play the role right now? Stating facts=control issue to you. Please continue on. I love seeing how things work in your head. Very entertaining.

Wow, look at you getting all wound up about this. Instead of contributing to the conversation, you say it's a blog. Cool story dude!

#41 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (15952 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

Wow, look at you getting all wound up about this. Instead of contributing to the conversation, you say it's a blog. Cool story dude!

You sound like Obama. Try to take the focus off you being piss off because I pointed out it was a blog by trying to say I am worked up. You crying like a 8!tch to me isn't contributing anything to the thread either. I said it was a blog and from that point on you cry and cry and cry to me. Go get your diaper changed son.

#42 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

You sound like Obama. Try to take the focus off you being piss off because I pointed out it was a blog by trying to say I am worked up. You crying like a 8!tch to me isn't contributing anything to the thread either. I said it was a blog and from that point on you cry and cry and cry to me. Go get your diaper changed son.

Actually you quoted my comment. And I sound like Obama? I think you just owned yourself there.

#43 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (15952 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

Actually you quoted my comment. And I sound like Obama? I think you just owned yourself there.

Yes I quoted you to point out your ignorance and from that point on it has been none stop crying from you. To you, people pointing out the obvious (it is a blog)=haters That's just plain ignorance on your part. And yes you sound like Obama. Anytime something puts him in a bad light, he tries to change the focus to something else. You are crying and all worked up over me pointing out your ignorance. So what do you do...LOL, you try to say I am the one worked up. Cute, but fail.

This is what you look like to me now.

#44 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

Yes I quoted you to point out your ignorance and from that point on it has been none stop crying from you. To you, people pointing out the obvious (it is a blog)=haters That's just plain ignorance on your part. And yes you sound like Obama. Anytime something puts him in a bad light, he tries to change the focus to something else. You are crying and all worked up over me pointing out your ignorance. So what do you do...LOL, you try to say I am the one worked up. Cute, but fail.

This is what you look like to me now.

Keep going dude!

#45 Posted by AdobeArtist (22397 posts) -