DriveClub: Okay, I'm a fan

• 144 results
#1 Posted by charizard1605 (58277 posts) -

Predictably, DriveClub has gotten a lot of hype, because it looks pretty, and because it's a Sony exclusive, and that's two things all Sony fans will never back down from hyping, no matter how questionable and dubious the game in question itself might look. One of these games so far has been DriveClub- it was announced last year, and apart from maybe looking slightly pretty, I haven't understood why it gets the hype it does. The 30FPS framerate for 1080p resolution really bugged me too.

But now, I'm sold on it. I think I am a fan. I've slowly been coming around on the game for a while now (yes, it does look gorgeous, and the dynamic weather and day night system, along with some of the tracks, is absolutely killer), but Evolution Studios recently said some things that completely sold me on this game. I.e., they said the right things:

• Loading times in this game will be extremely short. We are looking at loading times less than ten seconds
  • More importantly, DriveClub, which is a game that is supposed to grow and evolve with time, is basically involving the players in the development process.

That second point is what sold me on the game: I'm going to quote the DualShockers article here directly:

The plan is to keep improving and innovating on the game, and involve the community in that process letting their feedback shape the direction in which the game will evolve.

Weather is the first example of that, since it was vocally requested by the community itself.

There will be a feedback system similar to the one for PS4 and PS Vita, and evolution Studios also has a robust analytics system to see what is popular and what people like to do.

The team even had discussions about introducing off-road locations, even if as of now no work has been done on that. The engine is fully capable to simulate off road racing, so if the community wants it, it could be a possibility. Split-screen multiplayer is another element that could be considered if players really want it.

According to Rustchynsky Sony Computer Entertainment steered away from the traditional development processes with Driveclub. Instead of having the studio go through submitting document designs and setting them in stone, they simply told them “you have this amount of time and this budget to do what the community wants introduced in the game.”

I had animosity towards the game, but any of it that I had is now gone. Here is a developer that seems to be legitimately passionate about the game they are making, that seem to care about making their product the best that they possibly can (even the delay is excusable now), and one that actually cares about the community it is fostering enough to share their vision with them.

That is something I can get behind. I had no intention of ever buying DriveClub but now, I will. Maybe not right at launch, but I'll get this game for sure.

Meanwhile, enjoy this great trailer.

#2 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9857 posts) -

Its a racing game...

ZZZzzzz....

no thanks

#3 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3548 posts) -

It does look pretty that's for sure, I'm not a fan of racing games, but hope this ushers in a new genre

#4 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

An arcade racing game with less than 100 cars...

#5 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

You're always a fan of PS4 exclusives.

#6 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10607 posts) -

I thought these things were standard for racing games nowadays? Evolving/Improving gameplay and community feedback

#7 Posted by ironcreed (14083 posts) -

I'm more excited for Forza Horizon 2, but I'll be checking this one out for sure at some point. It does indeed look great.

#8 Posted by Legend002 (7220 posts) -

Best PS+ title ever.

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13704 posts) -

No You're not.

You just think you're a fan because you like it so much ! :p

#10 Posted by Nike_Air (18340 posts) -

40 minutes of gameplay footage

http://www.twitch.tv/playstationde/b/558118897

I'll give the PS+ Edition a whirl , for sure.

#11 Posted by BldgIrsh (2695 posts) -

Isn't this game a F2P type thing?

#12 Edited by SolidTy (43847 posts) -

I wish I liked racing games... :( It's pretty tho.

#13 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4895 posts) -

you can check it online

#14 Edited by ButDuuude (476 posts) -

40 minute gameplay:

And here's an example of what this developer can do with weather:

MotorStorm Apocalypse (PS3)

#15 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (6013 posts) -

I'm a big fan of racing games, so I was always going to get this game. The only thing I know about DC at the moment is that the game looks spectacular. And Evolution have been haying up the online club features in the game. So if the game can actually deliver on the club aspects I think it could be a very enjoyable online racer.

#16 Posted by magicalclick (22845 posts) -

So it is better to wait for them to evolve the game for a year or two instead of buying the less evolved game.

#17 Edited by GTSaiyanjin2 (6013 posts) -

@magicalclick said:

So it is better to wait for them to evolve the game for a year or two instead of buying the less evolved game.

Well if you have PS+ you can always download that version of the game. Should give you an idea if you like the game, or don't.

#18 Posted by mems_1224 (47284 posts) -

Yea but its still a racing game so it sucks by default

#19 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11920 posts) -

Yes, and you were also a fan of Assassin's Creed 3.

#20 Posted by hiphops_savior (7945 posts) -

@PhazonBlazer: It certainly wasn't the worst AC game out there (cough, Revelations, cough).

#21 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

dat 30 fps doe.

#22 Posted by silversix_ (14803 posts) -

Not excited for a racing game but i'll play the hell of the ps+ version. I just want to ram people and receive tears of rage mails lol

#23 Edited by manny280 (1990 posts) -

The graphics are simply stunning, hopefully this turns out to be a good spiritual successor to PGR like the devs are saying. I would be ecstatic if this happened because PGR is my favorite racing franchise, too bad there'll never be another one. RIP Bizarre Creations

#24 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3853 posts) -

Not a fan of the genre, but I think Driveclub will win people over.

#25 Posted by charizard1605 (58277 posts) -

@manny280 said:

The graphics are simply stunning, hopefully this turns out to be a good spiritual successor to PGR like the devs are saying. I would be ecstatic if this happened because PGR is my favorite racing franchise, too bad there'll never be another one. RIP Bizarre Creations

Well, another game you might want to look into if you like PGR is Forza Horizon (or its sequel).

#26 Posted by m3dude1 (1367 posts) -

this will be the best looking racing game for a long time. it will be quite a while before ps4 gets a proper next gen gran tourismo

#27 Posted by getyeryayasout (7602 posts) -

I'm looking forward to it. I have a funny relationship with racers; I think I don't like 'em, but once I start with one I can't keep my hands off it as the days begin to blur together, lap by lap. It's really not dissimilar to the relationship I have with chubby chicks.

#28 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (9031 posts) -

Forza Horizon 2 is already better thought out by the devs themselves than DriveClub will ever be with the help of community.

#29 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17966 posts) -

Number one rule of DriveClub: don't talk about DriveClub

#31 Posted by sailor232 (4831 posts) -

Looks nice and I would probably buy it if I owned a Ps4. Another game to pick up for cheap in a few years when the system has enough decent games.

#32 Edited by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@FastRobby said:

No dynamic shadows if I look at this trailer from IGN. I know FH2 also doesn't have dynamic shadows for every object, but that's open world... DC is a closed off, arcade racer

Everything is dynamic and volumetric in DriveClub. The attention to detail is insane.

#33 Posted by Blabadon (26659 posts) -

Blog it

#35 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13704 posts) -

@Blabadon

He's got Mod Powers... He can do whatever he wants.... :p

#37 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

Sounds like more over promise, under deliver. The Sony way.

Cant wait to see the 10 sec load times get tossed out and over looked once it doesn't hit that mark.

#38 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3300 posts) -

After watching some gameplay footage I'm actually kinda worried about DriveClub. They might as well just add the over the top drifting and call it Ridge Racer. At least that way it will have some name recognition.

Still day one though.

#39 Posted by handssss (1837 posts) -

@hiphops_savior said:

@PhazonBlazer: It certainly wasn't the worst AC game out there (cough, Revelations, cough).

It was worse than Revelations was. In terms of gameplay, 3 didn't really bring anything to the table or improve much. Connor was also far worse than Ezio and Altair and the setting in Revelations made for better free running than the 2 cities and shit tons of wilfderness in 3. Story might not have been strong in Revelations, but it provided closure for two far more interesting characters and all 3 managed to do was forest gump Connor into practically every historical event he ever lived through.

#41 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@FastRobby said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@FastRobby said:

No dynamic shadows if I look at this trailer from IGN. I know FH2 also doesn't have dynamic shadows for every object, but that's open world... DC is a closed off, arcade racer

Everything is dynamic and volumetric in DriveClub. The attention to detail is insane.

No shadow.

Lol. I hope there actually turns out to be. It would be kind of silly to make the most graphically detailed racer and leave something as fundamental to realism as shadows out.

Even NFS Rivals has dynamic light sources where every cars headlights cast shadows.

#42 Posted by YD_11 (1857 posts) -

The driving mechanics are not my cup of tea. It looks like you glide on the road regardless of weather and obviously hitting guard rails or other cars does nothing. Games like Burnout were fun and need for speed games because you have that police chasing aspect.. but this is trying to look like a sim with its graphics but race like an arcade game. Does looks pretty though

#43 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Sounds like more over promise, under deliver. The Sony way.

Cant wait to see the 10 sec load times get tossed out and over looked once it doesn't hit that mark.

Or, you know, you could watch this and have your doubts cleared (about the loading). Consistently on that mark. Very well done in that regard IMO.

Or you can just accept that it is probably running on a PC and the load times will still differ on the console.

#45 Posted by sailor232 (4831 posts) -

Ok I just watched the Ign video, game looks horrible (graphics look great), Go off the road a little bit and constantly get a 3 second count down on screen to go back to the track, even though your only off the road by 5 meters, ram cars at full speed with zero repercussions, drive straight into a boulder and shrug it off to keep on going. In the video for this thread the car shrugs off a tree, looks like no damage, cars sound almost identical in every camera angle. Verdict, might be fun for a day rental.

#46 Posted by foxhound_fox (88760 posts) -

No racing game in this day and age should have less than 250 different cars.

There are so many different cars out there, and there are fans of all of them. People tend to buy or ignore a game based on it's car list (considering it's the main reason to be playing the game, I understand why).

Drive Club is going to flop. It's going to be praised for pretty graphics but a heavy lack of substance behind it.

#47 Posted by bezza2011 (2559 posts) -

I'm still annoyed that there going on and on about this Weather and showing it all off, and yet it isn't in the final build it's going to be a patch later, so by the time weather comes alot of the casusals and most people would of got bored of it, unless it comes out within a month. just a bit strange to sell a product on weather at this point and not have it in the final game to begin with.

Split screen is a must, I honestly think every racer should always have split screen, why do these racers always deny us any enjoyment of racing friends on the same sofa, silly/.

#48 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21799 posts) -

Not a fan of racers but might give it a try later.

#50 Posted by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

@charizard1605: Sheesh, you're such a cow.