DriveClub Microtransactions Revealed

• 96 results
#1 Edited by charizard1605 (56879 posts) -

Driveclub will feature small microtransactions that let you unlock cars early, according to the title's game director.

Speaking to IGN, Paul Rustchynsky explained that the developer is aware the feature may be controversial among gamers, so has made certain that it in no way unbalances gameplay or places anything out of reach.

"It’s been a hot topic of late inside gaming, and we’ve been very keen to take on board the feedback from gamers and make sure we don’t upset anyone," he revealed. "So, in Driveclub, what we’ve done is make sure that the progression system is really straightforward, really simple and gives you access to a lot of content really quickly.

"In Driveclub you earn Fame, and as you earn Fame, you level up. Every time you level up, we give you another car. There’s no double gating or anything along those lines, you’re given the car straight away without having to do anything else. The only thing we do have is a couple of shortcuts.

"If you want to unlock a car immediately, you can pay to unlock that car straight away but it’s not a consumable microtransaction. We don’t let people buy Fame, for example and spend lots and lots. The idea is if you want to shortcut things you can do – it’s identical to what we did in Motorstorm RC. So if you played that, you know what we’re doing here."

SOURCE

Ha, it's like Sony is actively working to sabotage this game or something.

#2 Edited by bobbetybob (19249 posts) -

Inb4 the double standard brigade arrive.

Also at least it will be cheap to buy all the cars in the game because there's only 50 in there.

#3 Edited by Heil68 (43939 posts) -

As long as you can progress without them I don't care.

#4 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27541 posts) -

Inb4 the double standard brigade arrive.

Luckily they are immune to irony.

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (56879 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Just like Forza Motorsport 5, you mean?

#6 Edited by magicalclick (22548 posts) -

It only has around 50 cars anyway, you will unlock them in no time.

#7 Posted by aroxx_ab (9463 posts) -

Francis is mad at Driveclub

#8 Edited by Animal-Mother (26748 posts) -

This game has bad mojo around it and Microtransactions....Sigh.

#9 Edited by Snugenz (11846 posts) -

Havn't you heard, aslong as it's not officially announced at E3 it doesn't count. Oh and does this mean there's only 50 levels in the game?.

#10 Edited by Heil68 (43939 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Yes a lot of other games offer short cuts for money.

As long as you can get there by playing the game, it doesn't bother me. Now if you couldn't level, unlock cars without spending money-outside of DLC-then that's another story.

#11 Edited by blackace (20550 posts) -

@charizard1605: But there is ONLY 50 cars. What don't they just unlock all immediately? This is an arcade game and not a sim. Why would anyone pay to unlock a damn car? Almost as bad as paying $65+ to unlock a $4 million dollar car in GT6. lol!!

But..but.. Forza 5 has microtransactions. lol!! No it doesn't.

TCHBO!!!

#12 Edited by charizard1605 (56879 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Yes a lot of other games that offer short cuts for money.

As long as you can get there by playing the game, it doesn't bother me. Now if you couldn't level, unlock cars without spending money-outside of DLC-then that's another story.

I absolutely agree! Just as long as game balance is not compromised to accommodate the microtransactions either (it can be 'technically' possible to unlock something by playing the game, but so difficult or inane that a player is driven towards just paying to unlock it). I just hope DriveClub at least has a decent curve.

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (56879 posts) -

@blackace: I am all about calling DriveClub, Sony, and cows out on their shit- as a matter of fact, I am doing it right now- but there are some factual errors in your post:

a) Arcade racers always have car unlocks. Unlocks are what are supposed to spur player progression. Burnout, PGR, Blur, Forza Horizon, Need for Speed, Mario Kart, you name it.

b) Forza 5 does in fact have microtransactions.

#14 Posted by Snugenz (11846 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Yes a lot of other games that offer short cuts for money.

I absolutely agree! Just as long as game balance is not compromised to accommodate the microtransactions either (it can be 'technically' possible to unlock something by playing the game, but so difficult or inane that a player is driven towards just paying to unlock it). I just hope DriveClub at least has a decent curve.

Yeah this is very true of a few F2P games out there. You can unlock everything but i could take a lifetime to do so the free way.

#15 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4298 posts) -

its raining options baby!!! paying for shortcuts is nothing new. stunning to see sony listen to the people

#16 Posted by Heil68 (43939 posts) -

@blackace said:

@charizard1605: But there is ONLY 50 cars. What don't they just unlock all immediately? This is an arcade game and not a sim. Why would anyone pay to unlock a damn car? Almost as bad as paying $65+ to unlock a $4 million dollar car in GT6. lol!!

But..but.. Forza 5 has microtransactions. lol!! No it doesn't.

TCHBO!!!

Forza 5 does have micro transactions though? At least when I played it last it did.

Did they take it out? Doesn't matter though, we can substitute RYSE in it's place then for the MP element. Lots of games have them and even though I think they suck and will never buy them, they will continue to be there since they have proven to be profitable and people are willing to spend money on them.

#17 Posted by Animal-Mother (26748 posts) -

@blackace: I am all about calling DriveClub, Sony, and cows out on their shit- as a matter of fact, I am doing it right now- but there are some factual errors in your post:

a) Arcade racers always have car unlocks. Unlocks are what are supposed to spur player progression. Burnout, PGR, Blur, Forza Horizon, Need for Speed, Mario Kart, you name it.

Proof bro to help you out

http://www.sportra.com/forza-5-microtransaction-price-list/

#18 Posted by charizard1605 (56879 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Proof bro to help you out

http://www.sportra.com/forza-5-microtransaction-price-list/

Wow at those prices :|

How do they translate to car purchases, actually? How many tokens does a car cost?

#19 Posted by blackace (20550 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

Francis is mad at Driveclub

OMG!!! I couldn't stop laughing. This guy is hilarious.

Francis quote.

"Ok, I can wait for my free dinner." lol!!

"Eehh, wrong. The game is delayed for 8 months!!"

"We're going to get a FREE retail game. It's not a full game. It's a DEMO!! With have the cars and half the tracks!! But you can upgrade!! F#%&!!"

This guy needs to have his own cable show. He would make a mint.

#20 Edited by blackace (20550 posts) -

What microtransactions does Forza 5 have? It has DLC, which is not microtransaction.

#21 Posted by charizard1605 (56879 posts) -

@blackace said:

@charizard1605 said:

What microtransactions does Forza 5 have? It has DLC, which is not microtransaction.

Jesus Christ, you pay to unlock cars with real world money, that is not DLC, that is microtransactions. If you disagree with that, then DriveClub also does not have microtransactions, it has only DLC. You can't have it both ways.

#22 Posted by 35cent (898 posts) -

As long as they aren't required to unlock all the cars I don't care about the presence of micro transactions. I like racing games so I'll keep an eye on this one. Also, my favourite band made the music for this game so that's a bonus :P

#23 Edited by Roler42 (697 posts) -

Sigh... And here I thought there would be a racing game that would outclass GT and Forza... p2w racers are officially a thing...

#24 Edited by blackace (20550 posts) -

@blackace said:

@charizard1605 said:

Jesus Christ, you pay to unlock cars with real world money, that is not DLC, that is microtransactions. If you disagree with that, then DriveClub also does not have microtransactions, it has only DLC. You can't have it both ways.

You pay to buy Tokens that can unlock cars. It's actually the purchasing of Tokens that's the microtransactions. You can get car pack which is just DLC. If you have the season pass, you'll just download them as they become available. Drive Club is having pay to unlock cars that are already in the game. It's not DLC. In Forza 5 the cars aren't in the game until you download them from the server. I didn't know about the Tokens in Forza 5. That is microtransaction.

#25 Edited by finalstar2007 (25089 posts) -

lmfao racing game

#26 Edited by Gue1 (9763 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

its raining options baby!!! paying for shortcuts is nothing new. stunning to see sony listen to the people

the domination so strong they have to nitpick and this is only the beginning. This is gonna be a gen of hurt for anybody that's not on sony's side. XD

#27 Posted by freedomfreak (39997 posts) -

Hardly any cars to unlock.

#28 Edited by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

They were called cheats not so long ago.

Can you imagine if Rockstar did this with GTA? Cheat pack #1 $4.99

#29 Edited by OhSnapitz (18311 posts) -

No surprises here.. Nearly EVERY game that's been released over the last couple of years has some form of microtransactions (especially racers). So why would this be any different.

EDIT: besides there's only 50 cars.. Not a whole lot to transact. lol

#30 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13811 posts) -

I don't see what the big deal is, It's not like you're not going to get those cars anyway through natural progression.

If people are stupid enough to waste their money like that, let them. It's a great business strategy.

#31 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3537 posts) -

Dat next gen gaming.

#32 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17361 posts) -

only reason I have this preordered is because Kmart was offering $40 back

#33 Posted by lostrib (35779 posts) -

This is a full retail game right?

#34 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

I don't see what the big deal is, It's not like you're not going to get those cars anyway through natural progression.

If people are stupid enough to waste their money like that, let them. It's a great business strategy.

Wouldn't a cheat code work the same?

#35 Edited by blackace (20550 posts) -
@freedomfreak said:

That's why I said they all should just be unlocked. At least 1/2 of them anyways.

Yeah, but that's not what you said when M$ did it with Forza 5. lmao!! All of Forza 5 cars can be unlocked without paying a dime as well.

Another flip-flopping hypocrite cow.

#36 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Man, this game is just getting worse and worse the more i hear about it...bummer. Francis, you are a badass sir!

#37 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13811 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Seems like that's the case. Are cheat codes even around anymore? I can't really remember putting one in past the psx era.

I'd rather have this than cars and tracks dlc at the start, the lesser of the two evils for me. Stuff like that just rips apart online communities.

#38 Posted by cainetao11 (17326 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Yes a lot of other games offer short cuts for money.

I agree. As long as its not necessary, then who am I to say don't make money to a company.

#39 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13811 posts) -

@blackace said:
@freedomfreak said:

That's why I said they all should just be unlocked. At least 1/2 of them anyways.

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Yeah, but that's not what you said when M$ did it with Forza 5. lmao!! All of Forza 5 cars can be unlocked without paying a dime as well.

Another flip-flopping hypocrite cow.

Find where I said anything regarding that which is similar to what drive club is doing? I've always shit on the game for it's paper doll aesthetics and lack of weather, AA, and general visuals.

But I don't ever remember shitting on it for dlc.

#40 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Seems like that's the case. Are cheat codes even around anymore? I can't really remember putting one in past the psx era.

I'd rather have this than cars and tracks dlc at the start, the lesser of the two evils for me. Stuff like that just rips apart online communities.

Games like GTA,Saints Row have them. That's all I can think about.

I don't know much about racing communities for these kind of games, I don't do racers outside of kart racing games.

#41 Posted by mems_1224 (46954 posts) -

lol there is only like 5 cars to unlock. whats the point?

#42 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13811 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@ladyblue said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I don't know much about racing communities for these kind of games, I don't do racers outside of kart racing games.

Yeah I usually stay away from cheats in the first place unless it's the konami code for Contra.

It's the same reason I dislike preorder DLC that effects gameplay, I want to play the game the way it was intended, not with super powered weapons or what not.

#43 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7418 posts) -

lmfao racing game

Go back to your JRPG's weeaboo.

#44 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@ladyblue said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Yeah I usually stay away from cheats in the first place unless it's the konami code for Contra.

It's the same reason I dislike preorder DLC, I want to play the game the way it was intended, not with super powered weapons or what not.

I save the cheats for a second play or when I wnat to fool around.

#45 Posted by magicalclick (22548 posts) -

I sounds like worse than Micro transaction. In micro transaction, you buy the token, and you unlock the car early. And the money you earn can still buy the car you didn't get. You accelerated your growth, so to speak.

This version isn't. For example, you buy a car you are supposed to get at level 10. And later you get to level 10, you get NOTHING because you already paid to unlock it early.

#46 Edited by EducatingU_PCMR (650 posts) -

DelayedFlop confirmed. 30fps and microtransactions, lol

Bashing M$ but not $ony.

#47 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8718 posts) -

I'm only ok with Sony doing this.

#48 Edited by Mr-Kutaragi (1939 posts) -

Hopefully this game does not flop like forza. Thankfully I will have plus version to try to decide if full version is worth.

#49 Posted by clyde46 (45981 posts) -

Hopefully this game does not flop like forza. Thankfully I will have plus version to try to decide if full version is worth.

How exactly did Forza 5 flop?

#50 Posted by charizard1605 (56879 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

How exactly did Forza 5 flop?

It did very well critically, and proceeded to become the first million seller for its console. Obviously it was a flop.