Drive club sees nothing but trouble lately - Mod Update

• 119 results
#1 Edited by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

Report: DriveClub Director Has Left Evolution Studios

News by Joe Juba on Mar 25, 2014 at 04:52 PM

2,018 Views 10

DriveClub's development has been troubled lately, with delays, layoffs at developer Evolution Studios, and reworked design. Apparently, the list of the game's difficulties doesn't stop there. More

DriveClub's development has been troubled lately, but the problems don't stop with delays and layoffs

Man, this game is getting pelted. At this point, just drop it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasdie here hijacking the OP to post this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106121033&postcount=1393

Hello, all.

This is my first post on NeoGAF, and whilst I'm not generally one to deal in internet speculation, I have to put the record straight with regard to Pete Dodd's comments above.

Everything he has said with regard to myself and Driveclub is incorrect. It's also libellous.

As Putty (who is a personal friend of mine, and has been for about 25 years) suggests, I left Evo in February for personal reasons. The personal reasons being that my son, who is 4 years old, has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, which is a potentially life threatening condition. I live 220 miles (4 hours drive) away from Evolution Studios, and was away from home 5.5 days a week. Given the circumstances, I could not continue to work there.

Driveclub is a great game, and the direction hasn't changed since my departure. This has been confirmed by SONY in various press releases over recent days.

I have no problem in dealing with very large projects, as I've been working in the games industry for the last 19 years, and have worked on some very prestigious titles, so there is genuinely no truth to anything posted by Mr Dodds at all. My departure (and indeed the setup of my 'indie' operation, BigRedSwitch) is 100% driven by family necessity, not some professional failing on my part.

I left SONY on very good terms. There is no animosity there, and I was absolutely nothing to do with the recent redundancies - in fact, the news of those redundancies was probably linked on here before I knew about them.

The games industry is a tough place at the moment. My circumstances with my son mean that I've had to leave secure work in order to try to make my own way in the world. This may entail getting another job. With people who obviously know nothing about the situation blackening my reputation for the sake of internet 'fame', this could be made much more difficult. It's nothing less than trolling.

I've contacted Mr. Dodd on his email address on his site. Due to the factual inaccuracy of his statements, I've informed him that he needs to remove the statements and apologise for the damage they have caused, as posting incorrect information and claiming it's true is quite simply libel.

I'm sure you can all appreciate just how difficult things are for myself and my family at the moment. I'd genuinely appreciate it if you can take my statements as word from the origin, and realise that there has been no big cover-up when it comes to my departure from SONY/Evo.

Thanks, all.

Col.

Col_Rodgers

Driveclub's director stepped down for personal reasons.

#2 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

Sony Worldwide Studios' Scott Rohde explains that the company, which owns Evolution, doesn't want to release the game before it's ready.

By gamers, FOR gamers, the SONY mantra for gen 8. We are ALL humbled SONY. Keep up the great work and showing us how to Live, Learn and Love.

#3 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

its because sony banked on another racer,

gran turismo is THE premier racing franchise,

I wont be surprised if drive club gets out right cancelled and is amalgamated into gran turismo,

why would sony wanna fragment its core fan base anyways?

it would be like Microsoft investing into a halo clone

#4 Posted by Underdog123x (266 posts) -

Who can blame him? This game is going to be a disaster, it looks like a PS3 game too.

Dark days for Sony indeed

#5 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Sony Worldwide Studios' Scott Rohde explains that the company, which owns Evolution, doesn't want to release the game before it's ready.

By gamers, FOR gamers, the SONY mantra for gen 8. We are ALL humbled SONY. Keep up the great work and showing us how to Live, Learn and Love.

I predict an EPIC "Sony Mantra" for your upcoming 40,000th post...

#6 Posted by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Yeah, no thanks. I have being in debt down by now, Sony. I live, I learn and I love, but I'm going to follow something other than this or any company.

#7 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9515 posts) -

should of just made another MotorStorm, those games where pretty damn good. And i hate racing games.

#8 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Yeah, no thanks. I have being in debt down by now, Sony. I live, I learn and I love, but I'm going to follow something other than this or any company.

I guess you dont like an unprecedented amount of GOTY's, a perfect scoring games or multiple top 5 GOAT's. I do. I follow SONY.

#9 Posted by bobbetybob (19182 posts) -

I wont be surprised if drive club gets out right cancelled and is amalgamated into gran turismo,

What? It's more comparable to Microsoft investing in Titanfall. Driveclub is an arcadey racer not a sim, they're not the same just because they're both racing games.

#10 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6961 posts) -

With several GOTY's, world class exclusives, and outstanding value-packed online service, Sony's future is brighter than ever.

#11 Posted by Twizded (97 posts) -

Drive Club is doomed? Just because one exec(who doesn't code) quits, and a couple of delays. System Wars

#12 Edited by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

@Heil68:

No, I do business with Sony. I am not getting emotionally involved with them, Nintendo, or Microsoft. I do business with them. I don't care how many paper weights the have won, I play the games I want to from them, not a game because it won an award.

#13 Edited by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

@twizded said:

Drive Club is doomed? Just because one exec(who doesn't code) quits, and a couple of delays. System Wars

Don't recall saying its doomed. I did say may as well cancel it. But that's an opinion. So the guy doesn't code, but he was the director. Kojima directs MGS, would it be a good sign if all the coders stayed and he left?

#14 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@killatwill15 said:

What? It's more comparable to Microsoft investing in Titanfall. Driveclub is an arcadey racer not a sim, they're not the same just because they're both racing games.

Microsoft didn't invest into titanfall,

that would be like saying facebook invested into oculus,

when all they did was purchase a product,

and another way drive club is not comparable to titanfall,

is it is exclusive to ps4

#15 Posted by Twizded (97 posts) -

@twizded said:

Don't recall saying its doomed. I did say may as well cancel it. But that's an opinion. So the guy doesn't code, but he was the director. Kojima directs MGS, would it be a good sign if all the coders stayed and he left?

Dude's not Kojima, but understandable. I think the delays are good. Because they're more likely to ship a good/finished game.

#16 Posted by Evo_nine (1648 posts) -

@Heil68:

U gota be taking the piss....surely

For gamers??? Where are the bloody games lol

I thought the ps4 was easy to develop for? Sounds like a mess to me and ryse is still graphics king

#17 Posted by Couth_ (10016 posts) -

Pretty sure its gonna get canned

#18 Edited by BigBadBully (575 posts) -

Driveclub is a waste of a game and poor decision by Sony. This dev already had a great game in Motorstorm and base to grow it. They just outsmarted themselves and got fancy with Driveclub and unfortunately it took some jobs away. I think most gamers would be looking forward to a new Motorstorm game over Driveclub. Plus, most likely would of been a launch game.

#20 Edited by gago-gago (9354 posts) -

Sony really need to stop with all this VR non-sense and PSN TV show non-sense and actually focus on games and release games they announced from their huge list of games and actually make them good. So far their games have no hype, been flopping, delayed, staying even and likely to be canceled. With little effort you could probably search the forums and find post of some fans saying this blows Forza out the water. At this point another AAAE Forza game will come out while the next GT will flop again and this Drive Club will also flop and maybe even canceled or it shows up on the PS5.

#21 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9469 posts) -

The issue with these layoffs is the fact that you don't know what exactly they were doing. E.g. Evolution Studios has an internal 3D tech team. London Studios has a team that working directly with SCEE R&D. etc.

At the end of the day, people seem to be freaking out over things they barely understand. I sure as hell do not know what is going on internally at these studios but what I do know if that these studios are still larger then they used to be.

- SSM, even after cutting 50 (?) people, is still larger then when they started working on GOW3.

- Sucker Punch is substantially larger now because of Infamous Second Son.

- Naughty Dog can produce two AAA quality games at the same time.

- Guerilla Games is now two studios. (Guerilla Cambridge + Guerilla Amsterdam)

- Team Soho in London (Getaway) is actually back to making "real" games.

- Japan Studio is being restructured in order to create "AAA Japanese games"

etc.

#22 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2563 posts) -

The reason I'm not worried in any capacity about this game is because PS+ is going to give me a substantial amount of it at no extra cost. Whether or not this game blows or not, I won't lose anything for playing it.

#23 Edited by Cubs360 (3755 posts) -
#24 Posted by kuu2 (6970 posts) -

Vaporware

#25 Edited by blackace (20289 posts) -

@cainetao11: This is why when you see that huge list of games for the PS4, you already know that a large % of them will either be delayed or cancelled. This is nothing new with Sony 1st party games. Same thing happened with PS3 games showed at the E3. There were at least 5-6 games shown that just disappeared and never got made. I was hoping Drive Club was going to come out this year, but we may never see it now. That sucks.

#26 Edited by lostrib (34578 posts) -

They're still making that?

#27 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4101 posts) -

This will mean that it's near completion.

Speaking of vaporware, what happened to Black Tusk's new IP?

#28 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

I've been waiting since 2003 for this game :(

#29 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3527 posts) -

Ah what's this Sony's doomed post # 4135678

#30 Posted by stationplay_4 (443 posts) -

people care about racing games?

#31 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8372 posts) -

Delays are almost never good. Remember STALKER, Alan Wake? Sure, excellent games but could've been something EVEN BIGGER. And on the other hand you have massive downgrade like Watch Dogs and the extreme example is stuff like Colonial Marines - total garbage.

#32 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8372 posts) -

Don't also forget how delays influenced Bioshock Infinite...

#33 Edited by kipsta77 (943 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

#34 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

People still care about racing games?

Hell the only one I ever remotely enjoyed was Dirt 2 (0_0)

#35 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21551 posts) -

This gens Last Guardian or FF VS XIII.

#36 Posted by lamprey263 (23190 posts) -

I get a feeling the game being ready might not be the main issue, part of me wonders if they're holding off release for a more strategic release date.

#37 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

@Evo_nine said:

@Heil68:

I thought the ps4 was easy to develop for? Sounds like a mess to me and ryse is still graphics king

PS4 has more games and has released an actual retail exclusive since launch, Xbone? Nope.

As far as development goes:

The PlayStation®4 system opens the door to an incredible journey through immersive new gaming worlds and a deeply connected gaming community. PS4™ puts gamers first with an astounding launch lineup and over 180 games in development. Play amazing top-tier blockbusters and innovative indie hits on PS4™. Developer Inspired, Gamer Focus.

We are ALL humbled SONY.

PlayStation®4: The Best Place to Play™

#38 Posted by jessejay420 (3748 posts) -

@stationplay_4: Yes Millions of Gamers still care about Racing Games.

Not everyone shares your taste in games.

#39 Edited by iloveatlus (255 posts) -

They should just call it Gran Turismo 7.

#40 Posted by iloveatlus (255 posts) -

@stationplay_4: Yes Millions of Gamers still care about Racing Games.

Not everyone shares your taste in games.

No. Millions of gamers only care about Gran Turismo. Racers such as Forza, Need for Speed, Ridge Racer are irrelevant and Drive Club will also be irrelevant.

#41 Posted by Gue1 (9503 posts) -

the struggle is real

#42 Posted by RossRichard (2338 posts) -

The guy left in February. This is why Drive Club had to 'be brought back to the drawing board.'

#43 Edited by jessejay420 (3748 posts) -

@iloveatlus

http://www.dailygame.net/videogames/microsoft/xbox-one/forza-5-sales-make-it-fastest-selling-xbox-racing-game

"In total, Drivatars have competed in more than 1 billion races since launch, showcasing that Forza Motorsport and Xbox are home to the most passionate fans of racing video games. In tandem, players have amassed 653 million road miles; which is equivalent to circling the Earth 49,223 times. Players have also participated in more than 94 million races, putting in a combined 8 million hours of total gameplay."

you were saying?

#44 Edited by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Evo_nine said:

@Heil68:

PS4 has more games and has released an actual retail exclusive since launch, Xbone? Nope.

As far as development goes:

The PlayStation®4 system opens the door to an incredible journey through immersive new gaming worlds and a deeply connected gaming community. PS4™ puts gamers first with an astounding launch lineup and over 180 games in development. Play amazing top-tier blockbusters and innovative indie hits on PS4™. Developer Inspired, Gamer Focus.

We are ALL humbled SONY.

PlayStation®4: The Best Place to Play™

According to @charizard1605 thread its probably 178 games in development now. Astounding launch line up? Man you gotta be getting a check. I listen to P2M and you cant be so dumb or naïve to love something (corporation) that doesn't give a shit about you, just the paper you give them. LOL

#45 Posted by iloveatlus (255 posts) -
#46 Posted by jessejay420 (3748 posts) -

@iloveatlus youre point?

you saidgames likeforza are "irrelevant".

well i just proved you wrong.

maybe you should do more research before making such statements.

otherwise the only thing that will remain "irrelevant" is your opinion.

#47 Edited by iloveatlus (255 posts) -

@jessejay420: My point is the racing fans only care about Gran Turismo. Forza & other racers are irrelevant. Racing fans spoken with their wallets.

#48 Posted by jessejay420 (3748 posts) -

@iloveatlus ummmm yeah...NO.

doesnt work that way.

according to your logic,all other fps games are irrelevant because call of duty sold a buttload.

so again,you might want to do some reseach before making such staements.

#49 Posted by iloveatlus (255 posts) -

@iloveatlus ummmm yeah...NO.

doesnt work that way.

according to your logic,all other fps games are irrelevant because call of duty sold a buttload.

so again,you might want to do some reseach before making such staements.

That is correct. COD made all other competitive FPS irrelevant last gen, it was all about COD, everyone on the streets I knew only talk about that.

#50 Posted by jessejay420 (3748 posts) -

@iloveatlus so you think sales = quality?

so i guess wii sports was the best game of last gen huh?

oh wait!