Dragon Age Inquisition will have multiplayer

• 52 results
#1 Edited by harry_james_pot (10764 posts) -

Source

BioWare proved that multiplayer can work well in its RPG offerings with Mass Effect 3. The developer has announced today that it’s looking to replicate that success with the upcoming release of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I didn't think that my expectations of that game can get any lower, but turns out it can.

What do you guys think of this?

I believe that when you're making a game that focuses on story, like an RPG, you should spend every minute of development time making that singleplayer experience as good as possible. So regardless of how this multiplayer turns out, I think it was a bad move to make it at all.

#2 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

I wonder if they're going to implement as much LGBT sex in multiplayer as they are in single player.........

Seriously tho if they're calling Mass Effect 3 multiplayer successful I'd hate to see what a failure looks like, because I remember it as bland boring and all but forced. The only Multiplayer I found worse was Dead Space 2 multiplayer.

#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (8252 posts) -

We have real CPRG's coming from superior developers.

Worry not for this overpriced Mass Dragons Effects. Wasteland 2. Pillars Of Eternity. Divinity e.t.c...

#4 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

#5 Posted by Heil68 (43920 posts) -

I wonder if they're going to implement as much LGBT sex in multiplayer as they are in single player.........

Seriously tho if they're calling Mass Effect 3 multiplayer successful I'd hate to see what a failure looks like, because I remember it as bland boring and all but forced. The only Multiplayer I found worse was Dead Space 2 multiplayer.

We had fun with the MP, but I have fun with pretty much all Horde type MP gaming.

#6 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Shielder7 said:

We had fun with the MP, but I have fun with pretty much all Horde type MP gaming.

we talking about ME 3 or DS 2?

#7 Posted by heretrix (37339 posts) -

I still play ME3 multiplayer to this day. If they can get anywhere close to that, I'm in. I recall being somewhat annoyed when I heard about ME multiplayer, but it turned out to be really fun. I wish them luck.

#8 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

If it will be like dungeons in GW2 rather than horde mode of ME3, then I might be in.

I think that would really work in this type of rpg fantasy party game.

#10 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

If it will be like dungeons in GW2 rather than horde mode of ME3, then I might be in.

I think that would really work in this type of rpg fantasy party game.

I think it would be better if it were like Two Worlds II despite that game seriously sucking their MP/ town builder was quite inventive.

#11 Edited by Maroxad (8209 posts) -

In a best case scenario this will be better than the main campaign, which from what I hear was the case with ME3.
In a worst case scenario it will be a quickly forgotten game mode.

In other words, I am not bothered by this at all.

Edit: Seems to be

#12 Posted by Evo_nine (1713 posts) -

Brilliant news! If its anything like me3 multiplayer that would be awesome

#13 Posted by cainetao11 (17265 posts) -

Why?

#14 Posted by harry_james_pot (10764 posts) -
#15 Posted by Postosuchus (153 posts) -

We have real CPRG's coming from superior developers.

Worry not for this overpriced Mass Dragons Effects. Wasteland 2. Pillars Of Eternity. Divinity e.t.c...

True that. 2 years ago I might actually have been somewhat hyped for this dmc wannabe. Thankfully we have a renaissance of RPGs not made for the lowest common denominator.

#16 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71170 posts) -

The multiplayer explained

#17 Edited by Snugenz (11839 posts) -

Coop/Firefight type MP could work, competitive PVP with the Dragon Age combat system, gawd no.

Just noticed the vid.

#18 Edited by uninspiredcup (8252 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

HEY DUDES WE'RE RAD 20 YEAR OLD GAMERS LIKE YOU DUDE DRAGON AGE IS AWSOME.

#19 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71170 posts) -
#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (8252 posts) -
#21 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7392 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

HEY DUDES WE'RE RAD 20 YEAR OLD GAMERS LIKE YOU DUDE DRAGON AGE IS AWSOME.

Please stop talking. You're embarrassing yourself.

#22 Edited by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

aaaannd there goes the last bit of interest I had in this game.

#23 Posted by funsohng (27642 posts) -

ME3 MP was actually pretty fun.

Knowing Bioware, it's probably being developed by another studio. So no development time/resource is lost, and we get a free MP we can just ignore if it's not good. Not sure what's the problem.

#24 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

You can't even play your SP character....you have to use premade shit heads lol.

#25 Edited by Alucard_Prime (2820 posts) -

Although I understand where you are coming from TC, and as a huge DAO fan, I certainly could care less about MP. I do want all the focus to be on the single player, I want great character development. The fact that they included MP has no negative effect on this, not necessarily anyways.

Unless you know all the intricate details about how this game was produced, you will have no idea how the inclusion of MP affected the single player story of the game. These guys are not new in the industry, they know they have to make a solid single player game. So they assign an additional smaller team on the side, to develop a MP component. It's their cash cow(microtransactions), it's there to boost the overall value of the game.....having multiplayer in your game sells. As long as they fullfilled their vision for the single player game , I have no problem with MP...,,it could be fun actually, I really like the DA universe. Also, I am one of the people who really liked ME3, so I think here too the MP will have no negative impact.....we will know soon. Day 1 purchase regardless.

#26 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

Confirmed they are premade characters that have a tiny tiny fraction of the skill and skill-tree of SP lol.

#27 Edited by Vaasman (11329 posts) -

BioWare proved that multiplayer can work well in its RPG offerings with Mass Effect 3.

lol no.

#28 Edited by JangoWuzHere (16253 posts) -

I don't mind multiplayer in Dragon Age, but I was hoping for something that connects more to the main story. This diablo kinda thing seems uninspired.

#29 Posted by Ghost120x (3788 posts) -

Hope the sp isn't affected by this because I will probably never play it.

#30 Posted by harry_james_pot (10764 posts) -

Although I understand where you are coming from TC, and as a huge DAO fan, I certainly could care less about MP. I do want all the focus to be on the single player, I want great character development. The fact that they included MP has no negative effect on this, not necessarily anyways.

Unless you know all the intricate details about how this game was produced, you will have no idea how the inclusion of MP affected the single player story of the game. These guys are not new in the industry, they know they have to make a solid single player game. So they assign an additional smaller team on the side, to develop a MP component. It's their cash cow(microtransactions), it's there to boost the overall value of the game.....having multiplayer in your game sells. As long as they fullfilled their vision for the single player game , I have no problem with MP...,,it could be fun actually, I really like the DA universe. Also, I am one of the people who really liked ME3, so I think here too the MP will have no negative impact.....we will know soon. Day 1 purchase regardless.

Yes, I don't have details about how this game was produced, and MP doesn't certainly mean a lesser quality SP. But.. This is EA we're talking about, they always rush their games and never care if the developer needs more time or not. That's why I think Bioware could've use that time for the SP instead.

#31 Posted by donalbane (16246 posts) -

Surprised you are mad about this, TC. It's not campaign co-op... it's just the chance to play randomly generated instances with your friends playing as your party members. I don't see how that's bad. At worst, it will be forgettable, but I personally loved the Mass Effect 3 co-operative horde mode, and welcome this addition to a game I was already looking forward to.

#32 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3608 posts) -

"BioWare proved that multiplayer can work well in its RPG offerings with Mass Effect 3. The developer has announced today that it’s looking to replicate that success with the upcoming release of Dragon Age: Inquisition."

They proved it by making ME3 more of a tps than an rpg ;)

#33 Edited by uninspiredcup (8252 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

"BioWare proved that multiplayer can work well in its RPG offerings with Mass Effect 3. The developer has announced today that it’s looking to replicate that success with the upcoming release of Dragon Age: Inquisition."

Starting an article off by saying "yaaaaay!111!". Very objective.

#34 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3608 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

Starting an article off by saying "yaaaaay!111!". Very objective.

I'm afraid I don't quite follow. Did they edit the article?

#35 Posted by StormyJoe (5098 posts) -

Source

BioWare proved that multiplayer can work well in its RPG offerings with Mass Effect 3. The developer has announced today that it’s looking to replicate that success with the upcoming release of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I didn't think that my expectations of that game can get any lower, but turns out it can.

What do you guys think of this?

I believe that when you're making a game that focuses on story, like an RPG, you should spend every minute of development time making that singleplayer experience as good as possible. So regardless of how this multiplayer turns out, I think it was a bad move to make it at all.

I liked Mass Effect 3's multiplier. I am looking forward to seeing what they can do with Dragon Age.

#36 Edited by StormyJoe (5098 posts) -

Sounds awesome:

BioWare revealed the third Dragon Age game mirrors the third Mass Effect by introducing four-player online multiplayer on top of the single-player experience. An IGN preview reveals the co-op in Dragon Age: Inquisition runs separate to the main RPG campaign, with players ditching their Inquisitor robes to team up in randomly generated mini-dungeons that take around 20 to 30 minutes to complete in total.

There'll be three multiplayer campaigns at launch, each generating a level made up from 5 of 10 smaller, pre-designed areas. Players will see different areas in different orders, with variables like the types of enemy encounter changing across different sessions. Also, rather than playing as the Inquisitor, you and your buddies are lackeys for the main hero. As Bioware's Mike Laidlaw told IGN, the studio's attempted to infuse the mulitplayer heroes with personality: "They're kind of like mini followers, and they banter among themselves."

#37 Posted by lamprey263 (23475 posts) -

Who's bitching about LGBT stuff now? I could only be so lucky and I"m straight. Since when are lesbians not stimulating to heterosexual males?

#38 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11406 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft

It is an RPG just like any other.

#39 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3608 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@MlauTheDaft

It is an RPG just like any other.

Agree to disagree?

I consider it more of a "choose your own adventure" shooter.

Edit:

In my opinion, a major part of the genre is shaping the kind of character you play and not just the kind of person. Mass Effect 1 did that (barely), ME2 did not (I still enjoyed it very much mind you) and I never made it beyond ME3's demo ;)

I'm willing to consider Deus Ex: HR an RPG or at least an RPS unlike Borderlands.

#40 Posted by uninspiredcup (8252 posts) -

Planscape Torment best. Biowares 0% close to equal level of great.

Casual people praise Bioware, disgraceful.

#41 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11406 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft

Mass Effect was a shooter, just a crappy one.... And thats pretty much every "True RPG" thats ever existed. As soon as the gameplay improves people cry that its no longer an RPG.

I can just as easily say Dungeons and Dragons is a Pen and Paper game with Role Playing Elements.

#42 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3608 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft

Mass Effect was a shooter, just a crappy one.... And thats pretty much every "True RPG" thats ever existed. As soon as the gameplay improves people cry that its no longer an RPG.

I can just as easily say Dungeons and Dragons is a Pen and Paper game with Role Playing Elements.

I don't see what DnD has to do with this. ME2 improved the shooting gameplay at the expense of character building (I did call ME1 barely an RPG) and it's level design was changed entirely to linear cover shooting. ME1 had cumbersome inventory management, ME2 barely had a need for an inventory at all.

Bottom line is that ME2 felt like a cover shooter with dialogue, ME1 did not. Bioware did'nt improve their game mechanics as much as they made most management cosmetic.

You're free to love Mass Effect all you want, that's why I bothered stating that it was just my opinion, I can't really be bothered arguing this with a shooter fan.

#43 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11406 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft

I'm assuming you're the type of person who thinks something is an RPG just because of the number of stats there are.

Yes Mass Effect gave you more numbers to customize you're character with but in execution they were utterly meaningless, I'm not saying they didn't have an effect or make a difference, I'm saying they have no functional differences.

#44 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11406 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft

I'm assuming you're the type of person who thinks something is an RPG just because of the number of stats there are.

Yes Mass Effect gave you more numbers to customize you're character with but in execution they were utterly meaningless, I'm not saying they didn't have an effect or make a difference, I'm saying they have no functional differences.

#45 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3608 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft

Ok. I'm saying you're wrong. Have a nice day.

#46 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11406 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft

Fascinating Argument and Logic you got there.... You should tell that to everybody !

#47 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3608 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft

Fascinating Argument and Logic you got there.... You should tell that to everybody !

Right back at you. That's why I did'nt really want to take this debate further... We're already engaging in "he said, she said".

Have a nice day and don't expect further responses.

#48 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11406 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft

Then why do you bother saying anything ?

#49 Edited by PyreofKoL (5831 posts) -

I was concerned at first, but after watching Jess's video on it today I can proudly say I'm 100% on board with it. Co-op was a staple of BioWare's early games, and most of the those early titles were set in the vast reaches of Dungeons & Dragons' seemingly endless lore. Dragon Age is one big homage to D&D since they weren't able to actually use the D&D license any more and bringing back co-op to this franchise is a perfect fit. It's not quite the same as Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, but I'm still pumped to see it.

#50 Posted by heretrix (37339 posts) -

But.. This is EA we're talking about, they always rush their games and never care if the developer needs more time or not. That's why I think Bioware could've use that time for the SP instead.

They gave Bioware more than enough time to finish this game. They even recently delayed it. Also, if it were anyone else I'd be worried, but they have more than enough resources to have separate teams working on the single player/multiplayer. It is, in fact, what they usually do. Recently, It's pretty much what most of the industry does with AAA development that has a multiplayer component.