Dragon Age Inquisition will have multiplayer

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Source

BioWare proved that multiplayer can work well in its RPG offerings with Mass Effect 3. The developer has announced today that it’s looking to replicate that success with the upcoming release of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I didn't think that my expectations of that game can get any lower, but turns out it can.

What do you guys think of this?

I believe that when you're making a game that focuses on story, like an RPG, you should spend every minute of development time making that singleplayer experience as good as possible. So regardless of how this multiplayer turns out, I think it was a bad move to make it at all.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

I wonder if they're going to implement as much LGBT sex in multiplayer as they are in single player.........

Seriously tho if they're calling Mass Effect 3 multiplayer successful I'd hate to see what a failure looks like, because I remember it as bland boring and all but forced. The only Multiplayer I found worse was Dead Space 2 multiplayer.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

We have real CPRG's coming from superior developers.

Worry not for this overpriced Mass Dragons Effects. Wasteland 2. Pillars Of Eternity. Divinity e.t.c...

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

I wonder if they're going to implement as much LGBT sex in multiplayer as they are in single player.........

Seriously tho if they're calling Mass Effect 3 multiplayer successful I'd hate to see what a failure looks like, because I remember it as bland boring and all but forced. The only Multiplayer I found worse was Dead Space 2 multiplayer.

We had fun with the MP, but I have fun with pretty much all Horde type MP gaming.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shielder7

@Heil68 said:

@Shielder7 said:

We had fun with the MP, but I have fun with pretty much all Horde type MP gaming.

we talking about ME 3 or DS 2?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I still play ME3 multiplayer to this day. If they can get anywhere close to that, I'm in. I recall being somewhat annoyed when I heard about ME multiplayer, but it turned out to be really fun. I wish them luck.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RoboCopISJesus

If it will be like dungeons in GW2 rather than horde mode of ME3, then I might be in.

I think that would really work in this type of rpg fantasy party game.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shielder7

@RoboCopISJesus said:

If it will be like dungeons in GW2 rather than horde mode of ME3, then I might be in.

I think that would really work in this type of rpg fantasy party game.

I think it would be better if it were like Two Worlds II despite that game seriously sucking their MP/ town builder was quite inventive.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

In a best case scenario this will be better than the main campaign, which from what I hear was the case with ME3.
In a worst case scenario it will be a quickly forgotten game mode.

In other words, I am not bothered by this at all.

Edit: Seems to be

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Brilliant news! If its anything like me3 multiplayer that would be awesome

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#13 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Why?

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@cainetao11 said:

Why?

Because EA.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

We have real CPRG's coming from superior developers.

Worry not for this overpriced Mass Dragons Effects. Wasteland 2. Pillars Of Eternity. Divinity e.t.c...

True that. 2 years ago I might actually have been somewhat hyped for this dmc wannabe. Thankfully we have a renaissance of RPGs not made for the lowest common denominator.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#16 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

The multiplayer explained

Loading Video...

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Coop/Firefight type MP could work, competitive PVP with the Dragon Age combat system, gawd no.

Just noticed the vid.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup

@The_Last_Ride said:

Loading Video...

HEY DUDES WE'RE RAD 20 YEAR OLD GAMERS LIKE YOU DUDE DRAGON AGE IS AWSOME.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#19  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@uninspiredcup: uhm what?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

@The_Last_Ride said:

@uninspiredcup: uhm what?

Exactly. What.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Loading Video...

HEY DUDES WE'RE RAD 20 YEAR OLD GAMERS LIKE YOU DUDE DRAGON AGE IS AWSOME.

Please stop talking. You're embarrassing yourself.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

aaaannd there goes the last bit of interest I had in this game.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

ME3 MP was actually pretty fun.

Knowing Bioware, it's probably being developed by another studio. So no development time/resource is lost, and we get a free MP we can just ignore if it's not good. Not sure what's the problem.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RoboCopISJesus

You can't even play your SP character....you have to use premade shit heads lol.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Although I understand where you are coming from TC, and as a huge DAO fan, I certainly could care less about MP. I do want all the focus to be on the single player, I want great character development. The fact that they included MP has no negative effect on this, not necessarily anyways.

Unless you know all the intricate details about how this game was produced, you will have no idea how the inclusion of MP affected the single player story of the game. These guys are not new in the industry, they know they have to make a solid single player game. So they assign an additional smaller team on the side, to develop a MP component. It's their cash cow(microtransactions), it's there to boost the overall value of the game.....having multiplayer in your game sells. As long as they fullfilled their vision for the single player game , I have no problem with MP...,,it could be fun actually, I really like the DA universe. Also, I am one of the people who really liked ME3, so I think here too the MP will have no negative impact.....we will know soon. Day 1 purchase regardless.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RoboCopISJesus

Confirmed they are premade characters that have a tiny tiny fraction of the skill and skill-tree of SP lol.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts
@harry_james_pot said:

BioWare proved that multiplayer can work well in its RPG offerings with Mass Effect 3.

lol no.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't mind multiplayer in Dragon Age, but I was hoping for something that connects more to the main story. This diablo kinda thing seems uninspired.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Hope the sp isn't affected by this because I will probably never play it.

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@Alucard_Prime said:

Although I understand where you are coming from TC, and as a huge DAO fan, I certainly could care less about MP. I do want all the focus to be on the single player, I want great character development. The fact that they included MP has no negative effect on this, not necessarily anyways.

Unless you know all the intricate details about how this game was produced, you will have no idea how the inclusion of MP affected the single player story of the game. These guys are not new in the industry, they know they have to make a solid single player game. So they assign an additional smaller team on the side, to develop a MP component. It's their cash cow(microtransactions), it's there to boost the overall value of the game.....having multiplayer in your game sells. As long as they fullfilled their vision for the single player game , I have no problem with MP...,,it could be fun actually, I really like the DA universe. Also, I am one of the people who really liked ME3, so I think here too the MP will have no negative impact.....we will know soon. Day 1 purchase regardless.

Yes, I don't have details about how this game was produced, and MP doesn't certainly mean a lesser quality SP. But.. This is EA we're talking about, they always rush their games and never care if the developer needs more time or not. That's why I think Bioware could've use that time for the SP instead.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Surprised you are mad about this, TC. It's not campaign co-op... it's just the chance to play randomly generated instances with your friends playing as your party members. I don't see how that's bad. At worst, it will be forgettable, but I personally loved the Mass Effect 3 co-operative horde mode, and welcome this addition to a game I was already looking forward to.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

"BioWare proved that multiplayer can work well in its RPG offerings with Mass Effect 3. The developer has announced today that it’s looking to replicate that success with the upcoming release of Dragon Age: Inquisition."

They proved it by making ME3 more of a tps than an rpg ;)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup

@MlauTheDaft said:

"BioWare proved that multiplayer can work well in its RPG offerings with Mass Effect 3. The developer has announced today that it’s looking to replicate that success with the upcoming release of Dragon Age: Inquisition."

Starting an article off by saying "yaaaaay!111!". Very objective.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MlauTheDaft

@uninspiredcup said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Starting an article off by saying "yaaaaay!111!". Very objective.

I'm afraid I don't quite follow. Did they edit the article?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

Source

BioWare proved that multiplayer can work well in its RPG offerings with Mass Effect 3. The developer has announced today that it’s looking to replicate that success with the upcoming release of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I didn't think that my expectations of that game can get any lower, but turns out it can.

What do you guys think of this?

I believe that when you're making a game that focuses on story, like an RPG, you should spend every minute of development time making that singleplayer experience as good as possible. So regardless of how this multiplayer turns out, I think it was a bad move to make it at all.

I liked Mass Effect 3's multiplier. I am looking forward to seeing what they can do with Dragon Age.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Sounds awesome:

BioWare revealed the third Dragon Age game mirrors the third Mass Effect by introducing four-player online multiplayer on top of the single-player experience. An IGN preview reveals the co-op in Dragon Age: Inquisition runs separate to the main RPG campaign, with players ditching their Inquisitor robes to team up in randomly generated mini-dungeons that take around 20 to 30 minutes to complete in total.

There'll be three multiplayer campaigns at launch, each generating a level made up from 5 of 10 smaller, pre-designed areas. Players will see different areas in different orders, with variables like the types of enemy encounter changing across different sessions. Also, rather than playing as the Inquisitor, you and your buddies are lackeys for the main hero. As Bioware's Mike Laidlaw told IGN, the studio's attempted to infuse the mulitplayer heroes with personality: "They're kind of like mini followers, and they banter among themselves."

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Who's bitching about LGBT stuff now? I could only be so lucky and I"m straight. Since when are lesbians not stimulating to heterosexual males?

Loading Video...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@MlauTheDaft

It is an RPG just like any other.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MlauTheDaft

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@MlauTheDaft

It is an RPG just like any other.

Agree to disagree?

I consider it more of a "choose your own adventure" shooter.

Edit:

In my opinion, a major part of the genre is shaping the kind of character you play and not just the kind of person. Mass Effect 1 did that (barely), ME2 did not (I still enjoyed it very much mind you) and I never made it beyond ME3's demo ;)

I'm willing to consider Deus Ex: HR an RPG or at least an RPS unlike Borderlands.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

Planscape Torment best. Biowares 0% close to equal level of great.

Casual people praise Bioware, disgraceful.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@MlauTheDaft

Mass Effect was a shooter, just a crappy one.... And thats pretty much every "True RPG" thats ever existed. As soon as the gameplay improves people cry that its no longer an RPG.

I can just as easily say Dungeons and Dragons is a Pen and Paper game with Role Playing Elements.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MlauTheDaft

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@MlauTheDaft

Mass Effect was a shooter, just a crappy one.... And thats pretty much every "True RPG" thats ever existed. As soon as the gameplay improves people cry that its no longer an RPG.

I can just as easily say Dungeons and Dragons is a Pen and Paper game with Role Playing Elements.

I don't see what DnD has to do with this. ME2 improved the shooting gameplay at the expense of character building (I did call ME1 barely an RPG) and it's level design was changed entirely to linear cover shooting. ME1 had cumbersome inventory management, ME2 barely had a need for an inventory at all.

Bottom line is that ME2 felt like a cover shooter with dialogue, ME1 did not. Bioware did'nt improve their game mechanics as much as they made most management cosmetic.

You're free to love Mass Effect all you want, that's why I bothered stating that it was just my opinion, I can't really be bothered arguing this with a shooter fan.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu

@MlauTheDaft

I'm assuming you're the type of person who thinks something is an RPG just because of the number of stats there are.

Yes Mass Effect gave you more numbers to customize you're character with but in execution they were utterly meaningless, I'm not saying they didn't have an effect or make a difference, I'm saying they have no functional differences.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lulu_Lulu

@MlauTheDaft

I'm assuming you're the type of person who thinks something is an RPG just because of the number of stats there are.

Yes Mass Effect gave you more numbers to customize you're character with but in execution they were utterly meaningless, I'm not saying they didn't have an effect or make a difference, I'm saying they have no functional differences.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MlauTheDaft

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@MlauTheDaft

Ok. I'm saying you're wrong. Have a nice day.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

@MlauTheDaft

Fascinating Argument and Logic you got there.... You should tell that to everybody !

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MlauTheDaft

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@MlauTheDaft

Fascinating Argument and Logic you got there.... You should tell that to everybody !

Right back at you. That's why I did'nt really want to take this debate further... We're already engaging in "he said, she said".

Have a nice day and don't expect further responses.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@MlauTheDaft

Then why do you bother saying anything ?

PyreofKoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 112

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By PyreofKoL
Member since 2005 • 6059 Posts

I was concerned at first, but after watching Jess's video on it today I can proudly say I'm 100% on board with it. Co-op was a staple of BioWare's early games, and most of the those early titles were set in the vast reaches of Dungeons & Dragons' seemingly endless lore. Dragon Age is one big homage to D&D since they weren't able to actually use the D&D license any more and bringing back co-op to this franchise is a perfect fit. It's not quite the same as Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, but I'm still pumped to see it.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

But.. This is EA we're talking about, they always rush their games and never care if the developer needs more time or not. That's why I think Bioware could've use that time for the SP instead.

They gave Bioware more than enough time to finish this game. They even recently delayed it. Also, if it were anyone else I'd be worried, but they have more than enough resources to have separate teams working on the single player/multiplayer. It is, in fact, what they usually do. Recently, It's pretty much what most of the industry does with AAA development that has a multiplayer component.