Down And Dirty: Let's Talk Serious Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ra-Devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Ra-Devil
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts

Ok, let's all be completely honest here, but also good sports about it.  I'm starting a discussion that I hope will be thought provoking and not and endless stream of Fanboyism gushing through the thread.

First Off:  Xbox 360
I just got done talking to several sales rep at electronics stores about the console wars, and the 360 seemed to be a bit of an underdog.  They all said it sells fine and that it's a nice system, but that it doesn't have any exlusives they were looking forward too.  This is of course directly after the whole DMC4 announcement, and yet I was still surprised.  I felt the 360 had more than solidified itself with the exclusive titles it had from Blue Dragon to Mass Effect to Halo 3 and ect., but they insisted that these games a console sale willnot make (a play on words).

What do you think?  Does the 360 have an honest chance of moving up in the console war, or is it just keeping afloat like the sales reps said?

Second:  Nintendo Wii
It comes to no surprise that the Wii is one of the most popular system, if not The most popular system among the common public (not dedicated gamers).  It's interesting, reliable, and really cheap when compared to the other giants of hardware that it's up against.  The problem is; the console is selling now, but will this "all sold out" reputation stay constant?  As of now the Wii is a nice little console, but it really doesn't have that many "hits" lined up for it, or "exclusives" that people are dying to play.

Your verdict?  Is the Wii actually going to completely outsell the other consoles with its cheap price point, or is it just not good enough to bang with the other two?

Final: Playstation 3
I'll admit it now; I'm a bit of an Xbox fan, but that doesn't mean I haven't played Sony games before or that I haven't played the PS3.  On the contrary, there are actually quite a few games that I enjoy that are Sony titles, and I visit my friend on the weekends to play with the PS3 and all it's neat little features it has.  The problem is, and I've heard this a lot outside of Video Game forums (as in talking to Real people), but many people think the PS3 is way too expensive for what you get, and that there isn't a point to getting it anymore.  One of my friends bought a Wii since he couldn't afford a PS3, but he was a hardcore DMC fan, so he planned to play it at my other friends house when it came out (he said he'd buy it even though he didn't have a PS3).  Now he recently bought a 360 because he found it used for cheap, and just a few days ago he called me yelling about how it's coming out on the 360 and he wouldn't have to worry about it.  When I asked what he was talking about, he said DMC4 was now on the PC and 360 as well.  I didn't believe him till today.  Now what I'm getting at is that the reasons for buying a PS3 are becoming slim, almost to the point at which you simply say "I wanted one, that's why."  because there are so many Sony titles that aren't exclusive anymore, and that just takes away the value of the console.  You bought it for the games, not all the pretty features, right?  Not to say you don't like the features, you just don't spend hours messing with them.  My PS3 friend says he bought it for games that are going to come out later, not games that are coming out now, but when I asked what games, he couldn't tell me any game that I couldn't get on my 360 other than MGS.  He shrugged it off and said there was no difference then, but there is, right?  The 360 simply costs less, unless you buy the HD Drive, then it's the same, but otherwise you're getting a cheaper console with essentially the same games.

I'm trying not to be too biased here, I'm just trying to tell the facts, or at least give you my view on how things look.  I know there are people out there who will play the PS3 and enjoy it, I have no problem with that, I just have a problem when people try to tell me the PS3 is better in one way or another than the 360 when it comes to games.  Every console has its pros and cons, yes, but I really do think that Sony is skating on thin ice right now, with only a few titles under its belt that are famous exclusives, those being God of War, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid.

Do you think that the PS3 is really worth all that money right now as the console stands?  Do you think it will be worth it later, or does it need a price drop sooner than later?

I own a 360, and plan on getting a Wii, I just can't find one, but no matter what I can't justify buying a PS3.  The majority of the games I'll be playing are on my 360, and more than half of them will appear on the PS3 anyway.  I can live without Metal Gear and God of War, or at least that's how I'm looking at it (I never liked FF, but it is an incredibly famous franchise).  Are there other people that see it the other way around?  That there is no point to own a 360 because now the games on both consoles will appear on your PS3 anyway?

Please, give me your thoughts. 

mc2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mc2k4
Member since 2004 • 2525 Posts
Looks like the PS3 has the best future.  PS3 FTW.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Basically that big wall of text says "don't buy a ps3" because you have a Wii and a 360 and you don't want a ps3. Ok there chief.

Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nex_Ownage
Member since 2004 • 4753 Posts
Halo 3 and Mass effect won't sell consoles? those guys don't know what they're talking about. It's not clear yet whether the wii will out sell the others or not, but with cheap development costs and the fastest growing user base, it has a chance. As for the PS3, It needs a price cut ASAP or else it won't stand a chance.
Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts
Socom 4, Uncharted, Lair...3 reasons i got a ps3 none on the 360, so i have a ps3 and a wii for smash bros mario metroid...and upgrading the pc for alan wake and kotor3, ng2 is the only game i want on the 360 so i wont buy one cause its just 1 game
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts

Basically that big wall of text says "don't buy a ps3" because you have a Wii and a 360 and you don't want a ps3. Ok there chief.

Nike_Air
*sigh* And yet another attempt at a decent, thought provoking thread assailed by a lack of patience and reading comprehension. Way to go buddy. My thoughts are that all three consoles are kinda getting along right now. The 360 has great games, but nothing yet that's really seized the popular mind like Wii Sports, Halo, or GTA. This should change this year, both with Halo 3 and that I fully expect the Premium package to get a price cut. That should help sales. Then we'll see how much excitement there really is for the 360. The Wii is selling very well, but the games library is slow to develop. I really like a lot of the games planned for Q3 and Q4 on the Wii, but getting there will be kinda trying. I think sales will slow some, spike with Pokemon Battle Revolution, lull towards August, then jump back up when the holiday season starts. The PS3 is the most troubled of the three. It costs the most and, IMO, doesn't deliver enough right now to justify it's price. And the lagging sales indicate that as well. There are great games coming out for the PS3, but we don't know when the big exclusives will hit. Plus, with a $600 price tag, it just means it needs that many more "must have" games to make it a "must have" system. I think it'll sell okay, but less than the 360 and Wii this year. That's my call on this. Feel free to disagree all you want, as long as you do so intelligently
OfficialJab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OfficialJab
Member since 2005 • 3249 Posts

Ok, let's all be completely honest here, but also good sports about it. I'm starting a discussion that I hope will be thought provoking and not and endless stream of Fanboyism gushing through the thread.  Good luck with that

First Off: Xbox 360
What do you think? Does the 360 have an honest chance of moving up in the console war, or is it just keeping afloat like the sales reps said?

It's going to move up. Just watch when Halo 3 comes. Remember the Halo 2 release? It was a media event. For a GAME, not a system. And people are still playing Halo 2 to death online, unlike CE.

Second: Nintendo Wii
Your verdict? Is the Wii actually going to completely outsell the other consoles with its cheap price point, or is it just not good enough to bang with the other two?

Will it continue being sold out? Ofcourse not, that will be over in a month. Can it roll with 360 and P3? 360, eventually, P3, maybe if Sony turns this around, and if Home is a huge hit. 

Give Sony time...they'll realize they need something bigger than Home to bring this around, but don't by any means count them out yet,  or even this year. Brand loyalty didn't get them as far as Cows hoped, so let them secure some exclusives and see where the big titles will take them. Much like the Halo 3 prediction, I think MGS4 will give it a huge boost. It's almost all the Cows have right now for big titles.

Ra-Devil

I think 360 will be the PS2 of this generation. It's attracting the non-hardcore gamer crowd more than the competition, and thats the biggest section by miles. Wii I think will be close, but the kiddy image isn't going anywhere, and too many people are turned off by all the colourful titles on the Wii shelf. And popular series' won't attract it like the other two consoles because the serious Zelda, Mario and Metroid players already have a Wii or are already comitted to getting it. P3 like I said has a chance, but I'm calling that if Sony makes one more slip-up, it will be the GC of this generation. 

This is all on sales, not on quality. I'm not going there....

Great thread btw. Good post, TC. 

Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tristam22
Member since 2006 • 1598 Posts

Ok, let's all be completely honest here, but also good sports about it. I'm starting a discussion that I hope will be thought provoking and not and endless stream of Fanboyism gushing through the thread.

First Off: Xbox 360
I just got done talking to several sales rep at electronics stores about the console wars, and the 360 seemed to be a bit of an underdog. They all said it sells fine and that it's a nice system, but that it doesn't have any exlusives they were looking forward too. This is of course directly after the whole DMC4 announcement, and yet I was still surprised. I felt the 360 had more than solidified itself with the exclusive titles it had from Blue Dragon to Mass Effect to Halo 3 and ect., but they insisted that these games a console sale willnot make (a play on words).

What do you think? Does the 360 have an honest chance of moving up in the console war, or is it just keeping afloat like the sales reps said?

Second: Nintendo Wii
It comes to no surprise that the Wii is one of the most popular system, if not The most popular system among the common public (not dedicated gamers). It's interesting, reliable, and really cheap when compared to the other giants of hardware that it's up against. The problem is; the console is selling now, but will this "all sold out" reputation stay constant? As of now the Wii is a nice little console, but it really doesn't have that many "hits" lined up for it, or "exclusives" that people are dying to play.

Your verdict? Is the Wii actually going to completely outsell the other consoles with its cheap price point, or is it just not good enough to bang with the other two?

I'll admit it now; I'm a bit of an Xbox fan, but that doesn't mean I haven't played Sony games before or that I haven't played the PS3. On the contrary, there are actually quite a few games that I enjoy that are Sony titles, and I visit my friend on the weekends to play with the PS3 and all it's neat little features it has. The problem is, and I've heard this a lot outside of Video Game forums (as in talking to Real people), but many people think the PS3 is way too expensive for what you get, and that there isn't a point to getting it anymore. One of my friends bought a Wii since he couldn't afford a PS3, but he was a hardcore DMC fan, so he planned to play it at my other friends house when it came out (he said he'd buy it even though he didn't have a PS3). Now he recently bought a 360 because he found it used for cheap, and just a few days ago he called me yelling about how it's coming out on the 360 and he wouldn't have to worry about it. When I asked what he was talking about, he said DMC4 was now on the PC and 360 as well. I didn't believe him till today. Now what I'm getting at is that the reasons for buying a PS3 are becoming slim, almost to the point at which you simply say "I wanted one, that's why." because there are so many Sony titles that aren't exclusive anymore, and that just takes away the value of the console. You bought it for the games, not all the pretty features, right? Not to say you don't like the features, you just don't spend hours messing with them. My PS3 friend says he bought it for games that are going to come out later, not games that are coming out now, but when I asked what games, he couldn't tell me any game that I couldn't get on my 360 other than MGS. He shrugged it off and said there was no difference then, but there is, right? The 360 simply costs less, unless you buy the HD Drive, then it's the same, but otherwise you're getting a cheaper console with essentially the same games.

I'm trying not to be too biased here, I'm just trying to tell the facts, or at least give you my view on how things look. I know there are people out there who will play the PS3 and enjoy it, I have no problem with that, I just have a problem when people try to tell me the PS3 is better in one way or another than the 360 when it comes to games. Every console has its pros and cons, yes, but I really do think that Sony is skating on thin ice right now, with only a few titles under its belt that are famous exclusives, those being God of War, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid.

Do you think that the PS3 is really worth all that money right now as the console stands? Do you think it will be worth it later, or does it need a price drop sooner than later?

I own a 360, and plan on getting a Wii, I just can't find one, but no matter what I can't justify buying a PS3. The majority of the games I'll be playing are on my 360, and more than half of them will appear on the PS3 anyway. I can live without Metal Gear and God of War, or at least that's how I'm looking at it (I never liked FF, but it is an incredibly famous franchise). Are there other people that see it the other way around? That there is no point to own a 360 because now the games on both consoles will appear on your PS3 anyway?

Please, give me your thoughts.

Ra-Devil
Pretty nice post TC, but I think you were *slightly* unfair when you said that the Wii has no exclusives lined up that people are "dying" to play. SSBM sold nearly 7 million whereas Halo 2 sold nearly 8 million, so those are close numbers. I think with an online SSBB we can expect more sales, especially with a system that is set to surpass the GC's sales in just a couple of years. I also seriously think SMG will sell nearly as well as SM64 did - I predict at least 10 million units. I'm confident it will be toe-to-toe in quality with SM64, and the only reason the sales will be less is because it wasn't one of three launch games for the Wii like SM64 was for the 64. 360 is a great system and so many games that were exclusive to Sony's platform last gen are going multiplat this gen. For some reason I get the funny feeling that 360 sales will slow down, but it's a worthless gut instinct. Based on its excellent online play and pretty impressive game library, it should sell very well. PS3, of course, is looking more and more like the wild card. Will it be the overwhelming loser or will it come back to take the crown? Honestly, PS3 is really being held afloat by two pillars right now - MGS4 (Americas and Europe) and FFXIII (Japan and, to an extent, other territories). I think if either one lost exclusivity, PS3 would be in VERY bad shape. I think the most technically impressive game of this generation (for consoles, of course) will be on the PS3, but that's about all I can say for it.
akuma303x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 akuma303x
Member since 2004 • 3703 Posts
I think the most shocking thing that keeps being ignored is the feeling that sony fans want , from an exclusive game. That feeling of dominance, when you tell someone " this cant be done on the 360 ". That feeling is one that is really great when it comes to home console's. It is due to the fact that the hardware doesnt change. ( aside from the zephyr. lets face it, it's coming. ) But the gaming function remains the same. So for that set amount of years, you know your console is the alpha . Well the more and more PS3 exclusives  leave the more the feeling of " your 360 cant do that " goes away. The more it becomes uncomfortable to say that phrase, because your not sure your right. This will also be felt in Microsoft's camp. Dont think Sony is the only one that will be wounded this gen. The industry is about who is bigger or better. Being the better showman, the better show to attend. We are all the conductors of the richest entertainment medium in the entire world. What we buy matters. The exclusives are not leaving because MIcrosoft opened it's pocket. ( well most of them ). It's buisness. The games cost money, so you search for the best return on your investment. simple math boys and girls. The 360 represents the best chance of reaching a wide a vast audience. So if you need to fund your development house, you'll make a logical choice. The PS3 will have a larger base eventually, and they may secure more exclusive's at that point and time. you can take this for what it is, or just the babbling of a mad man. But it dont take a psychic to see the future of gaming. It already resembles the past.
OfficialJab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OfficialJab
Member since 2005 • 3249 Posts

It's attracting the non-hardcore gamer crowd more than the competition, and thats the biggest section by miles.Caramel_Fantasy

ROFLMAOOO

Okay, good call, I'm going to rephrase that. When it comes to gamers, and potential gamers (like the adults/girls etc.) who just got into DS and all, there are more people who just owned a PS2, and say, GTA, and some other casual games. They aren't casuals in the sense of the adults with Nintendogs, but aren't hardcore like the people with 60 games and more than one system. The biggest market IMO were the GTAers with just a couple other games, and that appears to be the main 360 market now. Better? :)
mastarifla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 mastarifla
Member since 2005 • 2448 Posts
I think the most shocking thing that keeps being ignored is the feeling that sony fans want , from an exclusive game. That feeling of dominance, when you tell someone " this cant be done on the 360 ". That feeling is one that is really great when it comes to home console's. It is due to the fact that the hardware doesnt change. ( aside from the zephyr. lets face it, it's coming. ) But the gaming function remains the same. So for that set amount of years, you know your console is the alpha . Well the more and more PS3 exclusives leave the more the feeling of " your 360 cant do that " goes away. The more it becomes uncomfortable to say that phrase, because your not sure your right. This will also be felt in Microsoft's camp. Dont think Sony is the only one that will be wounded this gen. The industry is about who is bigger or better. Being the better showman, the better show to attend. We are all the conductors of the richest entertainment medium in the entire world. What we buy matters. The exclusives are not leaving because MIcrosoft opened it's pocket. ( well most of them ). It's buisness. The games cost money, so you search for the best return on your investment. simple math boys and girls. The 360 represents the best chance of reaching a wide a vast audience. So if you need to fund your development house, you'll make a logical choice. The PS3 will have a larger base eventually, and they may secure more exclusive's at that point and time. you can take this for what it is, or just the babbling of a mad man. But it dont take a psychic to see the future of gaming. It already resembles the past. akuma303x
I would have loved to read it all but I was too distracted by your avatar.... I mean cmon the text is light blue with an animated gif to the left of the text... its hard...
akuma303x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 akuma303x
Member since 2004 • 3703 Posts
[QUOTE="akuma303x"]I think the most shocking thing that keeps being ignored is the feeling that sony fans want , from an exclusive game. That feeling of dominance, when you tell someone " this cant be done on the 360 ". That feeling is one that is really great when it comes to home console's. It is due to the fact that the hardware doesnt change. ( aside from the zephyr. lets face it, it's coming. ) But the gaming function remains the same. So for that set amount of years, you know your console is the alpha . Well the more and more PS3 exclusives leave the more the feeling of " your 360 cant do that " goes away. The more it becomes uncomfortable to say that phrase, because your not sure your right. This will also be felt in Microsoft's camp. Dont think Sony is the only one that will be wounded this gen. The industry is about who is bigger or better. Being the better showman, the better show to attend. We are all the conductors of the richest entertainment medium in the entire world. What we buy matters. The exclusives are not leaving because MIcrosoft opened it's pocket. ( well most of them ). It's buisness. The games cost money, so you search for the best return on your investment. simple math boys and girls. The 360 represents the best chance of reaching a wide a vast audience. So if you need to fund your development house, you'll make a logical choice. The PS3 will have a larger base eventually, and they may secure more exclusive's at that point and time. you can take this for what it is, or just the babbling of a mad man. But it dont take a psychic to see the future of gaming. It already resembles the past. mastarifla
I would have loved to read it all but I was too distracted by your avatar.... I mean cmon the text is light blue with an animated gif to the left of the text... its hard...

here's a secret, i dont even know what i typed. i just like seeing my avatar. really.