Doug Lombardi (Valve) taken aback by the Wii's success and suddenly INTERESTED

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Mudig
Member since 2007 • 1567 Posts
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.magus-21
Ubisoft are quality too genius. What so all those great franchises they've made aren't enough for you? Valve has made like one game.

UBIsoft has totally sold out, and is very lazy, and hasnt done anything innovative.

Yes and Valve isn't lazy for making only one franchise. Ubisoft has made plenty and all the ones that stick out are still doing very well. Just because they decided to make some money off of the Wii and rush their titles for launch doesn't mean they can't make games.

All those titles are 5+ years old, and have drastically changed. And are very un innovative.

They are getting great scores. Double Agent, Rainbow Six: Vegas, GRAW. As far as I'm concerned, they are still doing great.

They still are unoriginal, and radically different from where they started from. Fun, but not like they used to.

Ubisoft is good at rehashing things they've done before and improving slightly upon them. EA is the real center of creativity (ironically). If you ignore all of their long-running franchises, many of the most innovative, most fun games actually come from EA.

No, they come from the developers EA pays for.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.Mudig
Ubisoft are quality too genius. What so all those great franchises they've made aren't enough for you? Valve has made like one game.

UBIsoft has totally sold out, and is very lazy, and hasnt done anything innovative.

Yes and Valve isn't lazy for making only one franchise. Ubisoft has made plenty and all the ones that stick out are still doing very well. Just because they decided to make some money off of the Wii and rush their titles for launch doesn't mean they can't make games.

All those titles are 5+ years old, and have drastically changed. And are very un innovative.

They are getting great scores. Double Agent, Rainbow Six: Vegas, GRAW. As far as I'm concerned, they are still doing great.

They still are unoriginal, and radically different from where they started from. Fun, but not like they used to.

Ubisoft is good at rehashing things they've done before and improving slightly upon them. EA is the real center of creativity (ironically). If you ignore all of their long-running franchises, many of the most innovative, most fun games actually come from EA.

They're still part of EA.
Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Mudig
Member since 2007 • 1567 Posts
[QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.magus-21

You see, all EA does is publish games. Though there are times when they develop and publish games and usually it turns out to be crap. Ubisoft usually publish their own games and are actually great games.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54 coolguy1111
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.Mudig

You see, all EA does is publish games. Though there are times when they develop and publish games and usually it turns out to be crap. Ubisoft usually publish their own games and are actually great games.

C+C3, made by EA, all the sports games, EA, and BF2/2142 is technically EA.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts

I bet any Valve FPS will look like this on Wii.
TekkenMaster606
Doubt it. Valve try with their games. Hell even if it did look like that HL1 > all next-gen shooters so far.
Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts
[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

magus-21
The funny thing is, it'd probably still play better than any FPS on the 360 or PS3.

cause so far FPS titles have been outstanding on the Wii....:roll:
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

Nedemis
The funny thing is, it'd probably still play better than any FPS on the 360 or PS3.

cause so far FPS titles have been outstanding on the Wii....:roll:

No, 'cause Valve makes kickass FPSes regardless of platform. The Wii is the first major change to come to console FPSes since Goldeneye brought them to consoles in the first place and Halo added dual-analog stick support. Since then, the only improvements have been minor refinements and level design improvements. It understandably takes time and/or effort for devs to adapt an old genre to new controls. None of the devs showed any effort or took any time in creating any of the Wii's FPSes (except Elebits, and that's only decent because it's so simple.)
IQ138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 IQ138
Member since 2003 • 606 Posts

TekkenMaster606
Yeah, but... those screens aren't so bad.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts
Thats great news if you want to play Half life like this Binski
Funny that you wouldn't make that exact post for the Xbox version of Half Life 2. :roll:
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts
[QUOTE="dustin-diamond"]

Its happening folks... the Wii's success has forced alot of devs to eat crow... and now they're coming crawling back to Nintendo.

Doug Lombardi of Valve has commented on among other things, the Wii in a gametrailers interview he said:

"I'm just going to be blunt with you, we missed the Wii. No pun intended. We are all really big fans of Nintendo's games. But the Wii is just something we didn't see coming and I don't think that our instinct on it was you know..... it's not a next gen system....you know it's not neccessarily a perfect fit for pushing the edges of source and graphics and all these other kinds of things and because we're just sort of entering the console stuff we weren't super aggressive about going out there and finding out what the console could do. Having said all that we're all super big fans and we're not working on something currently but as much as people are playing and talking about it at Valve, I wouldn't be suprised if someone came up with a cool concept that we all decided to go for."

video interview including HL2 Episode 2 talk and a bit about gabe newell on PS3

magus-21
This is precisely why the Wii hasn't had any strong third party support YET. A minor miscalculation on Nintendo's part, holding out till E3 2006. It made their system incredibly popular with customers, but they effectively shut out developers from working on it and thus produced this drought we're currently in.

I agree on what you aid, this is my main argument about the Wii as of now. The drought the system has is very bad, i havnt bought any new games for my we since WW:SM Them waiting out till the end was bad but good in the sense that it build up a lot of hype around the system which is a huge reason for great sales.  If the Wii support continues to rise, and we see those killer apps by the end of the year, the system will without a doubt be number 1.
Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Binski
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts
[QUOTE="Binski"]Thats great news if you want to play Half life like this wapahala
Funny that you wouldn't make that exact post for the Xbox version of Half Life 2. :roll:

Lighten up a little:roll:
Japanese_Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Japanese_Monk
Member since 2006 • 1412 Posts
[QUOTE="Binski"]Thats great news if you want to play Half life like this smokeydabear076
:lol:

lol. Not bad. Not bad at all. But knowing valve they could do sumthin way better than even RE:4
JLei2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 JLei2k
Member since 2007 • 817 Posts
Very interesting. If they work hard at we might see a top flight FPS on the Wii.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Goodie.
poopinloop32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 poopinloop32
Member since 2006 • 4949 Posts
thanks guys i needed a laugh for today
Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
I don't think Valve has any interest in developing on 5 year-old hardware. They are a PC company that pushes technolgy forward. However, you may see a mini-game from Valve on the Wii. Since sheep are happy with Nintendo's mini games, expect third-parties to dump them on the Wii.
DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#68 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
[QUOTE="dustin-diamond"]

Its happening folks... the Wii's success has forced alot of devs to eat crow... and now they're coming crawling back to Nintendo.

Doug Lombardi of Valve has commented on among other things, the Wii in a gametrailers interview he said:

"I'm just going to be blunt with you, we missed the Wii. No pun intended. We are all really big fans of Nintendo's games. But the Wii is just something we didn't see coming and I don't think that our instinct on it was you know..... it's not a next gen system....you know it's not neccessarily a perfect fit for pushing the edges of source and graphics and all these other kinds of things and because we're just sort of entering the console stuff we weren't super aggressive about going out there and finding out what the console could do. Having said all that we're all super big fans and we're not working on something currently but as much as people are playing and talking about it at Valve, I wouldn't be suprised if someone came up with a cool concept that we all decided to go for."

magus-21
This is precisely why the Wii hasn't had any strong third party support YET. A minor miscalculation on Nintendo's part, holding out till E3 2006. It made their system incredibly popular with customers, but they effectively shut out developers from working on it and thus produced this drought we're currently in.

You should do some research into 3rd party support, just because the big name companies arent all making a tons of games for the Wii doesnt mean 3rd party support doesnt exist. There are a good number of indie developer companies making Wii games that we have yet to see. I mean Sadness, Orb and Thorn are indie company made games and will be great new IP's for the Wii.
Full_Metal1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Full_Metal1923
Member since 2006 • 4132 Posts
[QUOTE="dustin-diamond"]

magus-21

The drought would've happened anyways but that's true. People that claim that there's nothing coming for the Wii's future are too ignorant to understand what you just said and that developers haven't been announcing titles as of yet. All we hear is that they're beginning development or in the middle of. PS3 hopefuls know a lot of titles that are coming but a lot of them aren't coming anytime soon. So this is great news, hopefully Valve will develop for the Wii. :)
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="dustin-diamond"]

DSgamer64

You should do some research into 3rd party support, just because the big name companies arent all making a tons of games for the Wii doesnt mean 3rd party support doesnt exist. There are a good number of indie developer companies making Wii games that we have yet to see. I mean Sadness, Orb and Thorn are indie company made games and will be great new IP's for the Wii.

We haven't seen anything from Sadness except concept shots, and WTF is Orb and Thorn?