Doug Lombardi (Valve) taken aback by the Wii's success and suddenly INTERESTED

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dustin-diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dustin-diamond
Member since 2006 • 772 Posts

Its happening folks... the Wii's success has forced alot of devs to eat crow... and now they're coming crawling back to Nintendo.

Doug Lombardi of Valve has commented on among other things, the Wii in a gametrailers interview he said:

"I'm just going to be blunt with you, we missed the Wii. No pun intended. We are all really big fans of Nintendo's games. But the Wii is just something we didn't see coming and I don't think that our instinct on it was you know..... it's  not a next gen system....you know it's not neccessarily a perfect fit for pushing the edges of source and graphics and all these other kinds of things and because we're just sort of entering the console stuff we weren't super aggressive about going out there and finding out what the console could do. Having said all that we're all super big fans and we're not working on something currently but as much as people are playing and talking about it at Valve, I wouldn't be suprised if someone came up with a cool concept that we all decided to go for."

video interview including HL2 Episode 2 talk and a bit about gabe newell on PS3

dustin-diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dustin-diamond
Good news
dcm06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 dcm06
Member since 2005 • 2411 Posts
thats an awesome paragraph article whatever you wanna call it. i dont hate the wii but its far behind the 360. ps3 my fave but anyways if more 3rd party start making games for wii i will get me more games. well talk my bro into getting more games for his wii or trading it back for the 360.i traded my wii for his 360.
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts

I bet any Valve FPS will look like this on Wii.
Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Binski
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts
Thats great news if you want to play Half life like this 
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

well what do you know

sales really do = 3rd party suport.

science_monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 science_monkey
Member since 2003 • 2459 Posts
Look at all the damage control. lol
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Thats great news if you want to play Half life like this Binski
:lol:
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 laughingman42
Thats great news if you want to play Half life like this Binski
awww is the fanboy upset.
dustin-diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dustin-diamond
Look at all the damage control. lolscience_monkey
quoted for the truth. 
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="Binski"]Thats great news if you want to play Half life like this laughingman42

Why should people be upset about this?
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 laughingman42

TekkenMaster606
man i hope not. I hope they actually put some effort into wii games
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

laughingman42
man i hope not. I hope they actually put some effort into wii games

That would be nice.
Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Binski
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts
[QUOTE="Binski"] laughingman42

Why would anybody be upset about a wii version........Pc/360/ps3 already have something to look forward too.:D
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts

TekkenMaster606
The funny thing is, it'd probably still play better than any FPS on the 360 or PS3.
dustin-diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dustin-diamond

[QUOTE="laughingman42"][QUOTE="Binski"] Binski

Why would anybody be upset about a wii version........Pc/360/ps3 already have something to look forward too.:D

If Valve got the Wiimote right... which Im sure they would... fps on Wii would be something to behold.  
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 magus-21

Its happening folks... the Wii's success has forced alot of devs to eat crow... and now they're coming crawling back to Nintendo.

Doug Lombardi of Valve has commented on among other things, the Wii in a gametrailers interview he said:

"I'm just going to be blunt with you, we missed the Wii. No pun intended. We are all really big fans of Nintendo's games. But the Wii is just something we didn't see coming and I don't think that our instinct on it was you know..... it's not a next gen system....you know it's not neccessarily a perfect fit for pushing the edges of source and graphics and all these other kinds of things and because we're just sort of entering the console stuff we weren't super aggressive about going out there and finding out what the console could do. Having said all that we're all super big fans and we're not working on something currently but as much as people are playing and talking about it at Valve, I wouldn't be suprised if someone came up with a cool concept that we all decided to go for."

dustin-diamond
This is precisely why the Wii hasn't had any strong third party support YET. A minor miscalculation on Nintendo's part, holding out till E3 2006. It made their system incredibly popular with customers, but they effectively shut out developers from working on it and thus produced this drought we're currently in.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 smokeydabear076

magus-21
The funny thing is, it'd probably still play better than any FPS on the 360 or PS3.

Just like farcry.
dustin-diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dustin-diamond
[QUOTE="dustin-diamond"]

"I'm just going to be blunt with you, we missed the Wii. No pun intended. We are all really big fans of Nintendo's games. But the Wii is just something we didn't see coming and I don't think that our instinct on it was you know..... it's not a next gen system....you know it's not neccessarily a perfect fit for pushing the edges of source and graphics and all these other kinds of things and because we're just sort of entering the console stuff we weren't super aggressive about going out there and finding out what the console could do. Having said all that we're all super big fans and we're not working on something currently but as much as people are playing and talking about it at Valve, I wouldn't be suprised if someone came up with a cool concept that we all decided to go for."

magus-21
This is precisely why the Wii hasn't had any strong third party support YET. A minor miscalculation on Nintendo's part, holding out till E3 2006. It made their system incredibly popular with customers, but they effectively shut out developers from working on it and thus produced this drought we're currently in.

Great observation, but you'll have a hard time convincing many the lobotamized fanboys around here that it's for any other reason than Nintendo is teh suck.  
akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts
great news better this way than devs dropping production because of lack of interest good to see nintendo's risk paying off
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 coolguy1111
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
Keep waiting 3 years, then an extra year because someone stole there source code for the game, they still have to finish half life.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 laughingman42
[QUOTE="laughingman42"][QUOTE="Binski"] Binski

I just said that because you put the fugliest possible picture. hopefully they will make a good exclusive game. if not ill just keep playing fps on my 360
Shadow_Link50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shadow_Link50
Member since 2004 • 1853 Posts
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

smokeydabear076

Just like farcry.

Thats Ubisoft. Ubisoft = EA of this gen
dustin-diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dustin-diamond
[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

Shadow_Link50

Just like farcry.

agreed
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TekkenMaster606

Blame Ubi. :lol:
luigigreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 luigigreen
Member since 2005 • 4888 Posts

TekkenMaster606
As in the developer didn't manage the controls right. There are tons of reviews that say how good the games controls are for the Wii. Way to take one example and present it as a whole.
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TekkenMaster606

luigigreen
As in the developer didn't manage the controls right. There are tons of reviews that say how good the games controls are for the Wii. Way to take one example and present it as a whole.

Well, that one example is a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.

And that's what Valve makes.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="Shadow_Link50"][QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

dustin-diamond

Just like farcry.

agreed

UBI is worst then EA. EA makes great games, and unlike UBIsoft, when they port them to PC, they work. All of the new ubisoft games, have problems with them on the PC. EAs newest game, C+C, guess what? Works great on both platforms, is built ground up for both platforms. Yea EA is sooo evil, only ones giving you a good rts experience on you console.
Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mudig
Member since 2007 • 1567 Posts
I can see it now...HL2: Mario...with HL1 graphics of course.
myster_samz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 myster_samz
Member since 2006 • 584 Posts

[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

smokeydabear076

Just like farcry.

Farcry gave me a headache because of the lackluster controls.

luigigreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32 luigigreen
Member since 2005 • 4888 Posts
[QUOTE="luigigreen"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

TekkenMaster606

So it's impossible for Valve to make a good game for the wii with good controls just because some other devs can't?
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts
lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.
crazyjames1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 crazyjames1080
Member since 2006 • 7377 Posts
Wii isn't built to play a series like HL in all it's original glory. I'm not ruling out anything though.
Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mudig
lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.hyruledweller
Ubisoft are quality too genius. What so all those great franchises they've made aren't enough for you? Valve has made like one game.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="hyruledweller"]lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.Mudig
Ubisoft are quality too genius. What so all those great franchises they've made aren't enough for you? Valve has made like one game.

UBIsoft has totally sold out, and is very lazy, and hasnt done anything innovative.
Xbox_PWNS_YOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Xbox_PWNS_YOU
Member since 2004 • 939 Posts

dustin-diamond

Nintendo should make them beg on their knees, naked while Miyamoto stands behind them kicking their gnads before they consider letting them develop for the Wii.
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TekkenMaster606
[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="luigigreen"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

luigigreen

So it's impossible for Valve to make a good game for the wii with good controls just because some other devs can't?

I'm saying, don't get your hopes up for the FPS genre on Wii. Regardless of the developer, the games currently available are not exactly wowing everyone with the control. While it may seen interesting and unique to a lot of people, is it really the 'ultimate' in first person shooter control like everyone hyped it to be?
samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts

TekkenMaster606
call of duty was a terrible game on the wii. Its controls were actually worse than red steels, at least red steels controls were pretty much bug free. Call of duty had me ripping out the nunchuk in disgust..... ....anyway I have faith in valve to get on well with the wii mote.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 magus-21
[QUOTE="luigigreen"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="luigigreen"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

TekkenMaster606

I'm saying, don't get your hopes up for the FPS genre on Wii. Regardless of the developer, the games currently available are not exactly wowing everyone with the control. While it may seen interesting and unique to a lot of people, is it really the 'ultimate' in first person shooter control like everyone hyped it to be?

Based on Elebits, it's close to it. But it's a new control scheme, and devs need to get used to designing for it.
Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mudig
[QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.coolguy1111

UBIsoft has totally sold out, and is very lazy, and hasnt done anything innovative.

Yes and Valve isn't lazy for making only one franchise. Ubisoft has made plenty and all the ones that stick out are still doing very well. Just because they decided to make some money off of the Wii and rush their titles for launch doesn't mean they can't make games.
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts

[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="luigigreen"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="luigigreen"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

magus-21

Based on Elebits, it's close to it. But it's a new control scheme, and devs need to get used to designing for it.

1-2 years wasn't enough?

coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="dustin-diamond"]

Xbox_PWNS_YOU

Nintendo should make them beg on their knees, naked while Miyamoto stands behind them kicking their gnads before they consider letting them develop for the Wii.

Yea, nintendo should turn away a great company, and lets be real, this is far from confirmation that there making a game.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 magus-21

[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="luigigreen"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="luigigreen"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

Shirley_Temple

1-2 years wasn't enough?

The Wii hasn't had 1-2 years. It hasn't had even one year. Devs only learned of the Wii's functionality in August 2005, and even then, the majority of third-parties (i.e. the makers of the games that everyone is dissing) didn't bother to get started with ANYTHING for the Wii until Nintendo stole the show at E3 2006. No one could get started with anything because no one knew they were going to be working on it.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.Mudig

Yes and Valve isn't lazy for making only one franchise. Ubisoft has made plenty and all the ones that stick out are still doing very well. Just because they decided to make some money off of the Wii and rush their titles for launch doesn't mean they can't make games.

All those titles are 5+ years old, and have drastically changed. And are very un innovative.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="Shirley_Temple"]

[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="luigigreen"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="luigigreen"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

magus-21

1-2 years wasn't enough?

The Wii hasn't had 1-2 years. It hasn't had even one year. Devs only learned of the Wii's functionality in August 2005, and even then, the majority of third-parties (i.e. the makers of the games that everyone is dissing) didn't bother to get started with ANYTHING for the Wii until Nintendo stole the show at E3 2006.

You sure about that :?. You dont think nintendo gave any devs any ideas about there hardware? Im sure they did.
Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mudig
[QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.coolguy1111

All those titles are 5+ years old, and have drastically changed. And are very un innovative.

They are getting great scores. Double Agent, Rainbow Six: Vegas, GRAW. As far as I'm concerned, they are still doing great.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Shirley_Temple"]

coolguy1111

1-2 years wasn't enough?

The Wii hasn't had 1-2 years. It hasn't had even one year. Devs only learned of the Wii's functionality in August 2005, and even then, the majority of third-parties (i.e. the makers of the games that everyone is dissing) didn't bother to get started with ANYTHING for the Wii until Nintendo stole the show at E3 2006.

You sure about that :?. You dont think nintendo gave any devs any ideas about there hardware? Im sure they did.

I'm 100% sure about that. A friend of mine who (used to) work at ex-BVG said that Nintendo only gave them demos after E3, and that Nintendo really surprised everyone at E3. The only reason Ubisoft supported the Wii so strongly was because they wanted to get a headstart on EA on every front. It's no coincidence that every game for the Wii has been either simplistic or a port. It's certainly not because that's all its capable of. It's just because ports and simple games are all anybody had time to make. Hell, Trauma Center and Elebits are perfect examples of how the Wiimote can be both precise AND quick, pretty much proving everyone's argument that the Wii sucks for FPSes wrong.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.Mudig

They are getting great scores. Double Agent, Rainbow Six: Vegas, GRAW. As far as I'm concerned, they are still doing great.

They still are unoriginal, and radically different from where they started from. Fun, but not like they used to.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 magus-21
[QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]lol, i think if valve make a wii FPS, they will master the controls. Valve are quality, not someone like Ubi.coolguy1111

They still are unoriginal, and radically different from where they started from. Fun, but not like they used to.

Ubisoft is good at rehashing things they've done before and improving slightly upon them. EA is the real center of creativity (ironically). If you ignore all of their long-running franchises, many of the most innovative, most fun games actually come from EA.