DOTA 2 is an amazing PC exclusive experience (free beta codes inside)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by XVision84 (13804 posts) -

It's so fun and so well made. Very great game, sadly it's in closed beta though. I haven't played LoL, but people who have played both told me DOTA 2 is much better. Anywho, I have 3 extra beta codes, anybody who wants in on the closed beta just comment and I'll send you a key. PLEASE only ask if you're actually going to play the game.

System Wars related: DOTA 2 is the sort of experience you can't have on consoles, it may be hard to get into, but it's a very rich experience that's both fun and competitive.

#2 Posted by mems_1224 (48572 posts) -
i've had dota 2 for about a month or 2 and still haven't played it :?
#3 Posted by MonsieurX (31692 posts) -
Played few matches,felt too slow. Went back to HoN
#4 Posted by XVision84 (13804 posts) -

i've had dota 2 for about a month or 2 and still haven't played it :?mems_1224

I'll admit, it's pretty hard to get into it. They don't really include a good tutorial, you need to learn how to use each character well. But once you do get into it, it's good fun. Youtube's your best friend in this case.

#5 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
Park and I played earlier today, and I feel ashamed of my terribleness.
#6 Posted by XVision84 (13804 posts) -

Played few matches,felt too slow. Went back to HoNMonsieurX

3HDkg.gif

#7 Posted by XVision84 (13804 posts) -

Park and I played earlier today, and I feel ashamed of my terribleness. Badosh

Yeah, I'm only pretty decent with one character :P.

#8 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Played few matches,felt too slow. Went back to HoNMonsieurX

qft

#9 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

When I played Dota, it was a great fun. But the thing that bugged me is that the game seems balanced by having every almost every character be overpowered. Some heroes can stun your entire team with one move? wut? The game is one big CC lock. The heroes are pretty cool though.

But in the end, I went back to LoL, because that's where my friends are. Although I do log back into steam to update my Dota client regularly, and occasionally play a game or two.

#10 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

When I played Dota, it was a great fun. But the thing that bugged me is that the game seems balanced by having every almost every character be overpowered. Some heroes can stun your entire team with one move? wut? The game is one big CC lock. The heroes are pretty cool though.

But in the end, I went back to LoL, because that's where my friends are. Although I do log back into steam to update my Dota client regularly, and occasionally play a game or two.

MLBknights58

Yeah DOTA is a lot more punishing than League. I'm in the same boat. I hope my friends switch over to DOTA 2 when it comes out as I think it's better than League but all my friends have spent too much time and money on League to just leave so easily so I stick it with them.

#12 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

I will encourage everyone who plays Dota to give Chaos Knight a try. That dude is awesome. At first, I thought he was garbage, then I got a major item and start roflstomping people like 2v1.

Guy is crazy. Dat ulti.

#13 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

whiskeystrike

Yeah DOTA is a lot more punishing than League. I'm in the same boat. I hope my friends switch over to DOTA 2 when it comes out as I think it's better than League but all my friends have spent too much time and money on League to just leave so easily so I stick it with them.

Punshing I don't think is the right word for that issue. Punishing is losing gold on death, increasing snowball potential. Punishing is forcing players to walk to base if they forgot TP scrolls, or not buying couriers; as well as allowing the opponent to get the upper hand by bottling runes if you yourself forget/neglect to buy a bottle.

5 second stuns? Silence, stun, stun, stun then silence? I don't know if that's punishing, so much as anti-fun. Crowd control is a precious commodity in League (unless your Nautilus) whereas in Dota it's a way of life. I speak with less than 60-70 games experience however, so these are more first impressions. I just don't see any counter-play potential if I can get CC locked for 5 seconds then die. I don't see that as punishing, I see that as anti-fun.

#14 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -

Yeah, I'm only pretty decent with one character :P.

XVision84
I wonder which one. Well, for me, I can say I'm decent with Bounty Hunter, Windrunner and Disruptor. Love Mirana but her stun arrow is a little difficult to land.
#15 Posted by CosmoKing7717 (4603 posts) -

I will encourage everyone who plays Dota to give Chaos Knight a try. That dude is awesome. At first, I thought he was garbage, then I got a major item and start roflstomping people like 2v1.

Guy is crazy. Dat ulti.

MLBknights58
It's like you are describing a carry....>.>
#16 Posted by biggest_loser (24156 posts) -
Too bad the community is like the worst portion of Left 4 Deads playing group.
#17 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -

Indeed it's simply superb.

#18 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Too bad the community is like the worst portion of Left 4 Deads playing group. biggest_loser

There's something about MOBA chat boxes that makes everyone go silly.

#19 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

MLBknights58

Punshing I don't think is the right word for that issue. Punishing is losing gold on death, increasing snowball potential. Punishing is forcing players to walk to base if they forgot TP scrolls, or not buying couriers; as well as allowing the opponent to get the upper hand by bottling runes if you yourself forget/neglect to buy a bottle.

5 second stuns? Silence, stun, stun, stun then silence? I don't know if that's punishing, so much as anti-fun. Crowd control is a precious commodity in League (unless your Nautilus) whereas in Dota it's a way of life. I speak with less than 60-70 games experience however, so these are more first impressions. I just don't see any counter-play potential if I can get CC locked for 5 seconds then die. I don't see that as punishing, I see that as anti-fun.

Indeed you're right. DOTA sacrifices ease of access for originality. Punishing but fair. Icefrog feels that you should not be given a second chance if you do something stupid like overextend at the beginning of the game. It's why there's a more active laning phase than in a game like LoL.
#20 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
i have a beta code and i still havnt used it lol
#21 Posted by Socijalisticka (1554 posts) -

Indeed you're right. DOTA sacrifices ease of access for originality.tagyhag

rofl, stripping Warcraft 3 to its bare bones is not "sacrificing ease", nor is it "original".

#22 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

tagyhag

Indeed you're right. DOTA sacrifices ease of access for originality. Punishing but fair. Icefrog feels that you should not be given a second chance if you do something stupid like overextend at the beginning of the game. It's why there's a more active laning phase than in a game like LoL.

I'm somewhat confused by your comment. You acknowledge that there is little counter-play to constant CC lock and say that it discourages overextension, or in otherwords aggression, yet that in turn leads to a more active lane phase? If anything it sounds like a farm fest and then team fights roll around.

That's not even factoring in jungle pressure.

#23 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11994 posts) -

I actually have it downloaded, I just haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

#24 Posted by biggest_loser (24156 posts) -

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Too bad the community is like the worst portion of Left 4 Deads playing group. whiskeystrike

Also, I've just seen this on Youtube, how come the DOTA2 commentators have to shriek at the top of their voices when calling a game?
#25 Posted by themagicbum9720 (6507 posts) -

i have 4 gift passes, add me if you want one

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jasperwormsworth/

#26 Posted by DarkLink77 (31886 posts) -

I'd rather play League.

DOTA 2 is too hard for someone who only plays MOBA games every now and then (like me), and I have no problem admitting that.

#27 Posted by louisfoxton (1398 posts) -

Lol i bought DOAD today for 19$

#28 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -

I'm somewhat confused by your comment. You acknowledge that there is little counter-play to constant CC lock and say that it discourages overextension, or in otherwords aggression, yet that in turn leads to a more active lane phase? If anything it sounds like a farm fest and then team fights roll around.

That's not even factoring in jungle pressure.

MLBknights58

Sowwie, let me be more clear. Overextending =/= agressive laning in DOTA. In DOTA, overextending means usually being by yourself or just one other person while the entire enemy team is MIA.

Since not every hero in DOTA can have a blink at level 1, there's a lot more high risk/high reward. Now that would probably mean that they would just back off and farm passively right? But the majority of the community seems to understand that you should take the risks. Towers are weaker than in LoL which means diving is easier as well.

As far as jungling is concerned...It's a lot weaker than in LoL. No brush + No flash/exhaust. You can win a match without having a jungler. So the alertness is kinda there, but not really.

Of course, it also matters what heroes you have and what you're doing. There's different scenarios if you're tri-laning, or mid duoing, or jungle duoing.

#29 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

MLBknights58

Early game that isn't much of an issue if you watch your positioning and map awareness (Buy wards). Mid game it's fine if you've thought of it and have counters and somewhat of a pain if you haven't but you can easily pull through if you manage to play it safe or have already established some sort of lead in early game. Late game make sure you have Linkens or BKB if you don't have any other means of dealing with it, as late game not being being able to counter will lose you a game you're winning. As long as you use your head, plan your battles, and plan ahead with your builds, the CC isn't that big of an issue. If you fail to do this adequately though, it's quite punishing. So I think punishing fits here. Also I agree. Dota 2 is awesome. Diretide is also amazing.
#30 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -
stripping Warcraft 3 to its bare bonesSocijalisticka
I have no idea what this means. O.o
#31 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]stripping Warcraft 3 to its bare boneshexashadow13

It means that people still think MOBA's = RTS'es.
#32 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -
Don't get me wrong -- I loved Warcraft 3; and find the notion of a full-fledged Valve game based on a mod of a Blizzard game is certainly appealing. And so far the graphics and trailers look great! But will I ever play it, even for free?? Hell naw. Like many, I've never played a DotA-type game before. And they have a STEEP learning curve. Trying to build my skill while ruining the team-based matches for the more competitive players? No thanks. I know I could do some homework -- watch youtube videos, find some people willing to play a casual game or two to ease me in ... but for what? To sink hours and hours into an online multiplayer game. I'd rather just avoid the stress and play something less competitive and more slow paced.
#33 Posted by Socijalisticka (1554 posts) -

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]stripping Warcraft 3 to its bare boneshexashadow13

It means stripping out micro/macromanagement, expo, army composition, creeping, and map/race distinctions. The gentleman above is right, it's not RTS, it's a bastard child of RTS.

#34 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -
I'd say it's more of a potentially amazing computer hobby; than an "experience."
#35 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Too bad the community is like the worst portion of Left 4 Deads playing group. biggest_loser

Also, I've just seen this on Youtube, how come the DOTA2 commentators have to shriek at the top of their voices when calling a game?

To make the game seem more exciting than it actually is. MOBAs can be very boring to watch what with all the farming and jungle just sitting at his neutral camps so when something does actually happen it's always made out to be bigger than it really is. At the high levels, getting someone to blow an ult before a teamfight might be seen as big considering how evenly some of the teams are matched.

#36 Posted by UXO13 (135 posts) -
Still prefer League. Its more fun. Im aware Dota 2 is "superior" or whatever. But its just not as fun. Not too mention thd Dire map side actually makes me depressed, lol.
#37 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
Still prefer League. Its more fun. Im aware Dota 2 is "superior" or whatever. But its just not as fun. Not too mention thd Dire map side actually makes me depressed, lol.UXO13
I wouldn't say it's "superior" gameplay-wise since they're too different. It's like comparing counter-strike and CoD, they're both FPS'es but they do their own thing.
#38 Posted by AktionJakson (337 posts) -

I'd rather play League.

DOTA 2 is too hard for someone who only plays MOBA games every now and then (like me), and I have no problem admitting that.

DarkLink77

No it's not. There's a little bit more to learn and the matchmaking puts you with people at your level anyway.

#39 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

I'd rather play League.

AktionJakson

No it's not. There's a little bit more to learn and the matchmaking puts you with people at your level anyway.

Matchmaking with a beta is always crap. Not just because it's beta and the algorithms suck, but also because there just aren't that many people to match you with yet.
#40 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -

[QUOTE="hexashadow13"][QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]stripping Warcraft 3 to its bare bonesSocijalisticka

It means stripping out micro/macromanagement, expo, army composition, creeping, and map/race distinctions. The gentleman above is right, it's not RTS, it's a bastard child of RTS.

I see. I did not know people had such strange opinions about the genre. :/
#41 Posted by AktionJakson (337 posts) -

[QUOTE="AktionJakson"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

I'd rather play League.

hexashadow13

Matchmaking with a beta is always crap. Not just because it's beta and the algorithms suck, but also because there just aren't that many people to match you with yet.

You're in luck, Valve just sent out an insane amount of beta invites. Tons and tons of new players joining the ranks.

#42 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

I played it and I enjoy the visuals, but of course these games aren't about that.

I prefer me some LoL. The characters are more fun, but ofcourse it's way easier

#43 Posted by gameofthering (10467 posts) -

i've had dota 2 for about a month or 2 and still haven't played it :?mems_1224
Same here.

#44 Posted by KungfuKitten (21409 posts) -

Still waiting for them to split serious from fun gamers.

#45 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

Mobas are fun but the community can be really awful. These games are like magnets for wannabe MLG try-hards but occasionally you will run into a cool group of people. As it stands, the communities are not friendly towards new players. I've seen the phrase "report SevKnight" pop up so many times on the chatfeed that I'm starting to wonder if that's my full username. Thankfully the community in Dota 2 seems to be mostly russian so I don't understand a word they are saying but man the LoL, HoN, and Smite communites are just saturated with mlg tryhards. :lol:

#46 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2738 posts) -

Yep, DotA 2 is cool and unique experience. Way better than LoL in every way (although I still play LoL from time to time, because Im part of a 3v3 team there).

#47 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -

[QUOTE="hexashadow13"][QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]stripping Warcraft 3 to its bare bonesSocijalisticka

but will it blend?