Doom beta is Xbox One, PS4 and PC-only

• 69 results
#1 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

Xbox Live Gold membership required, but PS Plus subscription not necessary

Sauce

I dont understand whats the point of beta? single player beta??? or are they introducing MP in doom? or are they turning it into COD? I really hope it will be good but i have bad feeling about it now. Doom 3 was great. probably best in series. dark girtty atmospheric with suspense and surprises.

#2 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

nah doom 3 sucked dick and balls, but with that sad it still blows me away graphically,

ima sucker for hard lighting, and usually I just pop it in to marvel at the character designs.

but if wolfenstein is good I will get it and the beta since my pc is up to snuff.

#3 Posted by clyde46 (43957 posts) -

If XBL is required then yes it will be for MP.

#4 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

nah doom 3 sucked dick and balls, but with that sad it still blows me away graphically,

ima sucker for hard lighting, and usually I just pop it in to marvel at the character designs.

but if wolfenstein is good I will get it and the beta since my pc is up to snuff.

doom 3 doesnot suck. back in 2004 it was amazing and still good. it sure was not Half life 2 but was good game.

for doom 2 lot of ppls are nostalgic. it was great for it time but doom 3 done everything better.

#5 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8278 posts) -

No Wii U version? :'(

#6 Posted by IgGy621985 (4598 posts) -

I sincerely have no idea why do people bitch that much about Doom 3. It was a great game. A pure example of a great corridor shooter with an old-school atmosphere and gameplay mechanics.

#7 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3346 posts) -

I sure hope it's CoDified.

Also lol at needing Gold Membership, but not PS Plus.

#8 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

I sincerely have no idea why do people bitch that much about Doom 3. It was a great game. A pure example of a great corridor shooter with an old-school atmosphere and gameplay mechanics.

yeah. doom 3 has no regen health, no cinematics, no QTEs, no checkpoint every 5 second. it was old school shooter.

i see lot of ppls blame console but game was primilary PC game. than port to xbox.

#9 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

doom 3 doesnot suck. back in 2004 it was amazing and still good. it sure was not Half life 2 but was good game.

for doom 2 lot of ppls are nostalgic. it was great for it time but doom 3 done everything better.

they did everything different from doom 2, there was nothing from the preceding games that made it into doom 3.

I think ID Software took more cues from the resident evil series than it did from the doom series.

they thought the game should've been a horror, but the reason the doom 1 and 2 were scary was because the enumerable odds against you,

a sense of urgency, awareness and self preservation that was lost in 3,

but doom 3 was alright, but on its own it sucked balls and horse cock and to me,

is not a true doom game, I think quake 1 was more or less the true doom 3, it had everything that made doom 1 and 2 great.

#10 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

I sure hope it's CoDified.

so you can play it micheal. right??

#11 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3346 posts) -
#12 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@killatwill15 said:

they did everything different from doom 2, there was nothing from the preceding games that made it into doom 3.

I think ID Software took more cues from the resident evil series than it did from the doom series.

they thought the game should've been a horror, but the reason the doom 1 and 2 were scary was because the enumerable odds against you,

but doom 3 was alright, but on its own it sucked balls and horse cock and to me,

is not a true doom game, I think quake 1 was more or less the true doom 3, it had everything that made doom 1 and 2 great.

but do u realise that doom 1/2 is now too old. and not age well while doom 3 is still good.

flashlight was great adition to series.

also u can explore more in doom 3 than doom 2 which was just action.

#13 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -
#14 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3346 posts) -
#15 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@killatwill15 said:

but do u realise that doom 1/2 is now too old. and not age well while doom 3 is still good.

flashlight was great adition to series.

also u can explore more in doom 3 than doom 2 which was just action.

everything in doom 3 is just cosmetic and takes away from the gameplay,

if doom 1 & 2 was done in doom 3s engine you would feel differently,

doom 3's gameplay aged terribly compared to those 2,

it isn't even competent as a horror game if you know where every monster will be in the second playthrough.

and yes I know doom 1/2 is old, but both is still better than doom 3.

have you even played doom 1 and 2 before?

#16 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

Yes. still think doom 3 is better

#17 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

But doom 3 was made for mainstream

#18 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

just call it "closet monster flashlight fighter"

it does not deserve the doom name,

it is nothing like doom, but if you enjoy it hey,

good for you,

but I hope that doom 4 is nothing like doom 3,

since there hasn't been games like doom2 in a long time,

and its been long overdue and will probably cause a resurgence in gameplay focused games.

it is so weird to say that but that is the state of the industry,

we need more gameplay focused games.

p.s

I still don't think you played the older doom games

#19 Posted by hehe101 (565 posts) -

I never played a doom game strangely enough, however if this is a reboot coming for next gen, i'm looking forward to it, isn't there any trailers or anything?

#20 Posted by Wasdie (49540 posts) -

Sounds like they are ditching cross-gen and just making it for the current gen consoles. Awesome.

#21 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@killatwill15 said:

But doom 3 was made for mainstream

word, it took nothing from doom 2, it wasn't even remotely hard on nightmare.

only 4 monsters at max, damn,

doom 3 broke my heart when It came out,

but it I still fun to look at, that hard lighting.

the tech made the game worthy to slog through,

and id tech 4 finally came into its own with "the dark mod"

hopefully hexen edge of darkness carries it for another 10 years.

#22 Edited by KittenNose (368 posts) -

I wasn't much a fan of Doom three because I don't really like shoorters unless they were open world, but I watched a few people play and there was one thing about it I adored.

I watched veteran shooters stare at health boxes and ammo for several seconds while they made value judgements, sometimes choosing to pass the prize right on by. I have never seen that happen in a shooter since then. One time I almost died laughing as the person I was watching decided he would outsmart the expected trap by turning around and backing into the health box, only to have an Imp rake his back for his cleverness.

I liked that. It got players spooked into thinking "This... this might be a trap..." which is more credit then I see players giving the redshirts in any first person shooter. Maybe there is a lot of things wrong with Doom 3, I mean I didn't like it. They however nailed atmosphere. One person fighting hundreds or thousands should feel incredibly vulnerable and stressed, and that is exactly how lots of Doom players felt. I don't think many players felt that way since the innovation of automatically recharging health/shields.

#23 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

Wait, you are telling me there is a Hexen on id tech 4 ?

That sounds fantastic !!!

#24 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Sounds like they are ditching cross-gen and just making it for the current gen consoles. Awesome.

yeah id tech 5 is beautiful,

if only based carmack stay with id software,

but my body wouldn't be ready for id tech 6,

one can dream.....

#25 Posted by gameofthering (10081 posts) -

Hopefully it doesn't take long for it to be released and that it turns out good.

#26 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@killatwill15 said:

Wait, you are telling me there is a Hexen on id tech 4 ?

That sounds fantastic !!!

pc only, its a mod akin to the dark mod

just for reference,

the dark mod is a thief remake that is awesome,

not sure how it compares to thief 4, but I like it.

#27 Posted by blackace (19996 posts) -

@SNIPER4321: I don't even know if I want this game. I'm up still on the fence. I've been hearing some good thing about it, but I'm still not sure. Doom 3 was pretty good for me. Great graphics for its time on the PC.

#28 Posted by GamerForca (7073 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

When he says "Yes," what he means is "Yes, but only on XBLA." ....

#29 Posted by uninspiredcup (7542 posts) -

Will be doom in name only.

#30 Posted by kaealy (1447 posts) -

or are they introducing MP in doom?

Oh man... I don't even...

#31 Posted by ferret-gamer (17310 posts) -

Xbox Live Gold membership required, but PS Plus subscription not necessary

Sauce

I dont understand whats the point of beta? single player beta??? or are they introducing MP in doom? or are they turning it into COD? I really hope it will be good but i have bad feeling about it now. Doom 3 was great. probably best in series. dark girtty atmospheric with suspense and surprises.

Introducing MP in doom? All 3 doom games had multiplayer, it isn't exactly a new thing to the series

#32 Edited by Krelian-co (10215 posts) -

maybe they will make a proper next gen doom. I wish they make it right but i won't get my hopes up.

#33 Edited by foxhound_fox (87332 posts) -

Because 8.5/10 is a bad score, apparently.

I loved it. Played it for months. It's no Hell on Earth, but it's excellent.

#34 Edited by AcidTango (501 posts) -

Doom 1 and 2 will always be the top kings. Liked it better then Doom 3 though it was a ok game. Doom 4 I don't have any faith in it unless they are able to make it really good.

#35 Posted by AdobeArtist (22787 posts) -

How do we get in on this beta action?

#36 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (675 posts) -

How do we get in on this beta action?

Purchase Wolfenstein.

#37 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

just for reference,

I gave it a look after your post, looks interesting.

Is the Dark Mod a mod for the old thief or is it a standalone mod on a newer engine ?

#38 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@killatwill15 said:

just for reference,

I gave it a look after your post, looks interesting.

Is the Dark Mod a mod for the old thief or is it a standalone mod on a newer engine ?

its a standalone mod,

but you have to download the missions,

2 good ones off the top of my head would be "no honor among thieves" and "gatehouse"

I think its awesome, if the combat system is a bit much just put auto-parry in the options menu,

same goes with the lock picking mechanic, it is a very flexible game.

#39 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

its a standalone mod,

but you have to download the missions,

2 good ones off the top of my head would be "no honor among thieves" and "gatehouse"

I think its awesome, if the combat system is a bit much just put auto-parry in the options menu,

same goes with the lock picking mechanic, it is a very flexible game.

I've seen it before. Might give it a try some day. I'm enjoying Thief right now to be honest. So I'll surely enjoy the other Thief games or the Dark Mod.

#40 Posted by groowagon (2740 posts) -

i'm not expecting much.

new Doom and Wolfentein battling for the title of Generic Shooter King.

#41 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2271 posts) -
#42 Edited by SummerParadise (160 posts) -

Doom 3 is still best Doom game. Its horror game, lighting is very limited, so is ammo and monsters are strong.

Doom 1 and 2 are just bad. No horror, no lighting but also gameplay is Quake. In short:

Doom 1 and 2 = Quake(run and shoot)

Doom 3 = Doom game(horror game)

#43 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

i'm not expecting much.

new Doom and Wolfentein battling for the title of Generic Shooter King.

i dont know why ppls are complaining about new wolfenstien. Im very critical gamer. i am the one who is barely impress by modern games but new wolfenstein looks great. its bieng made by riddick developers. and has no regen health instead health bar and lean and peak

#44 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6038 posts) -

Doom 1 and 2 were great for the time but quickly looked aged when 3 showed up. 3 was what the series needed to progress. It is time to progress again but I hope to HELL they do it right.

#45 Edited by uninspiredcup (7542 posts) -

Doom 1 and 2 were great for the time but quickly looked aged when 3 showed up.

#46 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6038 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

ok instead of a lame ass gif why dont you explain how you perceive DOOM.

#47 Posted by steamistrash (427 posts) -

Why talk about a beta when fucking screenshots of doom4 dont even exist..............

we're just letting you know 2 years before........

#48 Posted by groowagon (2740 posts) -

Doom 1 and 2 looked aged in 2004? REALLY?! unbelievable!

#49 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6038 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

My point is that it needs to take that leap again over 3.

#50 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

compare to doom 3 they sure. doom 3 was graphics king when it was release. and still looks better than most console games.

doom 3 also did GAMEPLAY better. u can explore more, finding your ways, better setting, suspense, etc etc.