doom 4 (multiplat) sounds like doom 3

#1 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4179 posts) -

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/doom-finally-shown-quakecon-2014/#!bhiQQh

Doom isn’t aiming to be a subtle game. This is going to be a nasty, dirty title aimed at keeping you on edge and uncomfortable the entire time. And honestly, I really couldn’t ask for anything more out of it.

sounds like doom 3 .

there were mixed receptions about doom 3 back in the olden days. i remember this guy yelling at me from atop his steed that he didn't like the scary stuff, wished it played faster like doom 1 & 2. but there were all kinds of opinions on the game.

what do you think? is a doom 4 in the vein of doom 3 a good direction?

the writer of that article seemed to think so, and i'm going to agree with him. i played through doom 3 again recently because it's easy to hit 120fps, i enjoyed it so much i've been playing through the first expansion.

i'm not hyped for the game because that requires energy. however, i'm curious to see how it turns out.

#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (7688 posts) -

Ironically, for all the shit Doom 3 got, it is still more complicated and deeper than modern shooters today.

Sad.

#3 Posted by speedfog (3008 posts) -

Ironically, for all the shit Doom 3 got, it is still more complicated and deeper than modern shooters today.

Sad.

#4 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13161 posts) -

I'm just excited that they aren't using id tech 5.

Fuck that piece of fucking shit.

#5 Edited by PapaTrop (462 posts) -

Do you get to play as The Rock?

#6 Edited by lamprey263 (22880 posts) -

Doom 3 was good for its time, still an enjoyable game. I thought it was scary back then. This new game will be a reboot though so who knows how they'll pull it off, but fingers crossed it breathes new life into the franchise. And from what I read it'll not be called Doom 4, but just Doom.

#7 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

I LOVED Doom 3. but i would want doom 4 to be mix of doom 3 that is doom 3 atmosphere with doom 1/2 gameplay.

#8 Posted by WallofTruth (1431 posts) -

@speedfog said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Sad.

#9 Posted by AdrianWerner (27962 posts) -

Maybe atmosphere-wise. But they said the combat will focus on run and gun and high speed movement, so very unlike Doom 3.

#10 Posted by nutcrackr (12395 posts) -

Doom 3 was superb but this certainly sounds more action focused than survival horror type situation. Could work if they mix it. I really need to see the footage.

#11 Posted by sukraj (21927 posts) -

I hope the new Doom doesn't dissapoint.

#12 Posted by silversix_ (13951 posts) -

lolololol so true

#13 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

lolololol so true

like seriously. ID take best decision to ditch ID tech 5. this was the thing that worried me.

i think console version should use id tech 5 since its console engine.

#14 Edited by silversix_ (13951 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

lolololol so true

like seriously. ID take best decision to ditch ID tech 5. this was the thing that worried me.

NOTHING should use this piece of shit.

#15 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13161 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

@silversix_ said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

lolololol so true

If it was cross gen, maybe. But still building two different versions of a game is a massive waste of resources.

Ps4 will probably handle it fine, xbone may use 792p with a heavily variable framerate, lul.

#17 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10242 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

@silversix_ said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

lolololol so true

If it was cross gen, maybe. But still building two different versions of a game is a massive waste of resources.

Ps4 will probably handle it fine, xbone may use 792p with a heavily variable framerate, lul.

From IGN:

• Doom is powered by IdTech 6, and will be for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. They are "committed" to 1080P at 60 frames-per-second.
#18 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4179 posts) -
@papatrop said:

Do you get to play as The Rock?

that's an excellent question. i'm afraid i don't know what the rock is cooking.

@system-reboot said:

I LOVED Doom 3. but i would want doom 4 to be mix of doom 3 that is doom 3 atmosphere with doom 1/2 gameplay.

i loved doom 3 as well. i think that what you're describing* is what they're going for, Adrian's comment seems right, and cloud imperium's thread's a bit more comprehensive - based on that it seems to be a doom 3 atmosphere with doom 1/2 enemy encounters. be interesting to see.

#19 Edited by foxhound_fox (87408 posts) -

Contrary to popular opinion, Doom 3 was a good game in its own right.

The more I hear about "Doom" the more excited I'm getting. They really seem to be striving to bring back what made the original and Hell on Earth great games, but with a modern twist (and not the bad kind).

I just want to see the fucking Quakecon footage.

#20 Edited by Yrkoon99 (439 posts) -

when i seen origin story i thought of demons etc coming through a portal on mars and loads of shooting but it sounds like its gonna be mechanical demons??? wtf this is doom not quake 2 or 4 :(

wheres my normal fat baddass demons that i gotta hit in the face with shotguns, damn pink demons :p

#21 Posted by Ballroompirate (22306 posts) -

Contrary to popular opinion, Doom 3 was a good game in its own right.

The more I hear about "Doom" the more excited I'm getting. They really seem to be striving to bring back what made the original and Hell on Earth great games, but with a modern twist (and not the bad kind).

I just want to see the fucking Quakecon footage.

Would be pretty cool to watch that footage, but I think it was around 20 min of footage which could be a little overkill on showing off a game it's first time shown to the public.

#22 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10039 posts) -

Yes ! Bring the horror. Then add co-op ! :)

#23 Posted by IgGy621985 (4609 posts) -

Doom 3 was awesome. If Doom 4 is anywhere near like D3, I'll be happy.

#24 Posted by nethernova (4074 posts) -

Only that horror and co-op are the exact opposite.

#25 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2327 posts) -

Doom 4 should be more like Brutal Doom not that piece of shit they call doom3.

Oh and if it's running on that piece of shit id tech engine......

#26 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

Doom 4 should be more like Brutal Doom not that piece of shit they call doom3.

Oh and if it's running on that piece of shit id tech engine......

Its running on ID TECH 6!!.

Id tech 3/4 or better yet quake engine was one of the best engine ever. only id tech 5 is bad

#27 Posted by nini200 (9507 posts) -

Doom 2 and Doom 64 are still my favorites.

I hope a new Heretic/Hexen comes out after this. I know someone did a recent pc mod or something of Heretic and it looked great.

#28 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10039 posts) -

@nethernova

No they're not.... They are not mutually exclusive.

#29 Posted by Vatusus (4368 posts) -

I liked Doom 3

#30 Posted by PAL360 (26661 posts) -

Doom 3 was great!

#31 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (735 posts) -

Yeah Doom 3 was the shit. Played through it in it's entirety at least five times.

#32 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (427 posts) -

I have a lot of complaints about doom 3, but it played a lot like half-life only there was a much greater ratio of enemies to puzzles which is considerably more to my liking. I also liked how long it was. The engine sucked though. Still, the gameplay from the first two still wipes the floor with the third one, so I'm looking forward to something that is apparently going to be more akin to the first two. As far as the claim it's going to be nasty and uncomfortable, it doesn't have to be scary, I just expect their to be copious amounts of gore.

I'm not sure what co-op would bring to the table in a game like this, and not sure I want it at all.

#33 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10039 posts) -

@EPICCOMMANDER

Have faith ! :)

#34 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (427 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: That's all you have to say?? All right well I was being nice. I think co-op would be a worthless edition to a game that's always featured a lone protagonist. I sincerely hope there's no co-op.

#35 Edited by RyviusARC (4207 posts) -

The one reason I dislike ID Tech 5 is the PS2 textures that are abundant in their games.

If Doom 4 is in enclosed spaces like Doom 3 then those textures will stand out way too much.

I will laugh if Doom 4 has worse textures than Doom 3.

#36 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

Doom 4 using ID tech 6

#37 Posted by RyviusARC (4207 posts) -

Doom 4 using ID tech 6

Well hopefully they ditch mega textures in ID tech 6.

#38 Posted by Litchie (16217 posts) -

Doom 3 was an awesome game, so if the next one will be like it, I would not complain. I replay Doom 3 about once a year ever since it came out. The game has something special..

#39 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7120 posts) -

Doom 3 is badass. If Doom 4 is going to be like it, sign me up!

#40 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15888 posts) -

I still play the original Doom 3 every now and then.

#41 Posted by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

Except every single thing I've read about it has said the exact opposite.