Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze only 720p @60fps

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

https://twitter.com/GameXplain/status/425340190731681792

(Credit to NeoGaf for this information)

- Shouldn't a platformer and the extra development time make this 1080p, or at least 1080p/30fps?

- Maybe Nintendo/Retro doesn't care anymore about tanking sales and decided to throw this game out quickly

- Maybe Cranky Kong symbolizes Nintendo's philosophy that old, outdated hardware is good enough

#2 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6595 posts) -

For a platformer, 720p/60 fps is better than 1080p/30 fps. It is pretty disappointing that Nintendo couldn't get this game running better than that on their new hardware, though.

#3 Posted by Heil68 (42650 posts) -

That should be ok for the type of game it is.

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (54389 posts) -

So like most PS4 and Xbox One games then.

I don't see the issue.

#5 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5885 posts) -

damn I was going to get this but it totally doesn't sound fun now being upscaled to 1080p.

#6 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3279 posts) -

xbone version incoming?

i doubt nintendo would go through the stress of creating a 1080p masterpiece just for godstation4

#7 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20018 posts) -

damn I was going to get this but it totally doesn't sound fun now being upscaled to 1080p.

I lol'd.

#8 Posted by rogelio22 (2342 posts) -

@charizard1605: all games on ps4 are 1080p native right now cept bf4 which is 900p

#9 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24246 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

That should be ok for the type of game it is.

#10 Posted by trugs26 (5113 posts) -

Pre-order cancelled. I can't have fun on games unless there is are 2,073,600 pixels on the screen.

#11 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16464 posts) -

I am okay with that. Console gamers crack me up on how they dwell so much on stupid shit. Like lowdy lowdy, whatever will I do? I can't play this game now, it is only 720P. I might tolerate that on my PS3, but I can accept it for the Wii U. Suddenly 720P isn't good enough for me. I throw all my old games away along with the consoles.

#12 Posted by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

1080p isn't necessary to enjoy a game, but I bet most gamers (if the option was available) would always pick 1080p over 720p every time. The only time they'd choose 720p is when there is no option, which is what Nintendo is doing by giving gamers another generation of underpowered hardware

1080p COD: Ghosts (PS4)

720p (880x720 lol) COD Ghosts (Wii U)

I haven't doctored the photos. They're taken directly from this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716795&page=109

When you sit down to watch a new movie trailer on Youtube, do you choose 720p or 1080p?

If Netflix gives you the option for 720p HD or 1080p HD for the newest movie like Pacific Rim, which do you choose?

Like I said, you don't need 1080p, but if the option is there, isn't it obvious what we like more?

#13 Edited by nintendoboy16 (25821 posts) -

Oh no. Donkey Kong is 720p/60p. NintenDOOMED! The world is ending. Iwata will consume our souls... /sarcasm

#14 Edited by ShadowDeathX (10525 posts) -

Hopefully this doesn't mean that Mario Kart 8 will be 720p @60fps with 1080p up-scaled. >.>

But since Mario Kart 8 has more things happening on screen than a DK platformer, it will most likely mean yes.

#15 Posted by I_can_haz (6454 posts) -

I'm sure Sheep don't care. It's not like they have a choice.

#16 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24246 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

You can say that for all of the factions except PC.

#17 Edited by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

When Nintendo/Retro couldn't even make a platformer like this 1080p, it makes you worried about how it can handle 1080p for more complex FPS, third-person and other genres.

When the competition is doing 1080p already in its launch window (sandbox, FPS, third-person adventure, sports and driving games) consumers will notice this. One more disadvantage for the Wii U and probably why it is not selling as well - the hardware is too similar to last-gen.

Also, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was always touted as one of the 1080p games, and articles were posted laughing at PS4/X1 because the Wii U had more 1080p games. This game was on the list.

Now it turns out that list was bogus, because Mario Kart 8 is confirmed as 720p too, and Bayo 2 cannot hit 1080p either. So now that it's really 720p, Sheep pretend they don't care, even though they used it as ammunition to make fun of PS4/X1 launch games.

#18 Posted by super600 (29952 posts) -

When Nintendo/Retro couldn't even make a platformer like this 1080p, it makes you worried about how it can handle 1080p for more complex FPS, third-person and other genres.

When the competition is doing 1080p already in its launch window (sandbox, FPS, third-person adventure, sports and driving games) consumers will notice this. One more disadvantage for the Wii U and probably why it is not selling as well - the hardware is too similar to last-gen.

Also, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was always touted as one of the 1080p games, and articles were posted laughing at PS4/X1 because the Wii U had more 1080p games. This game was on the list.

Now it turns out that list was bogus, because Mario Kart 8 is confirmed as 720p too, and Bayo 2 cannot hit 1080p either. So now that it's really 720p, Sheep pretend they don't care, even though they used it as ammunition to make fun of PS4/X1 launch games.

Killer Instinct is sub-1080P.Titanfall is sub-1080P.BF4 is sub 1080P. I could list more, but I do not want to waste my time.A lot of PS4/X1 gaes will run at sub 1080P resolutions in the future most likely.

#19 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25821 posts) -

Citation needed.

#20 Posted by AugustEvans (102 posts) -

I am okay with that. Console gamers crack me up on how they dwell so much on stupid shit. Like lowdy lowdy, whatever will I do? I can't play this game now, it is only 720P. I might tolerate that on my PS3, but I can accept it for the Wii U. Suddenly 720P isn't good enough for me. I throw all my old games away along with the consoles.

It's rather pathetic that a "next gen" console can't run a simple ass game in 1080p. Well, it is only on par with the ps3 and 360 afterall.

#21 Edited by CrownKingArthur (3744 posts) -

eh. console graphics.

i haven't played donkey kart before anyway.

#22 Edited by Speak_Low (746 posts) -
@super600 said:

Killer Instinct is sub-1080P.Titanfall is sub-1080P.BF4 is sub 1080P. I could list more, but I do not want to waste my time.A lot of PS4/X1 gaes will run at sub 1080P resolutions in the future most likely.

I have no idea what was up with Killer Instinct (it should be better...maybe Double Helix isn't as huge or experienced as Retro Studios?), but Titanfall and other games are far more complex and, for many devs, their first time developing for X1/PS4.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is a platformer that everyone here will agree is not the same type of graphical complexity as Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, etc

I'm not talking about gameplay, fun or final quality but the visual complexity of the worlds, polygon counts/textures and even the team size needed to make these games.

DK:TF is also not a launch game, so wouldn't the added time give them a better chance to learn the deeper intricacies of the Wii U hardware? My believe if the Wii U is too close to last-gen hardware so that is why we see 720p everywhere. Maybe DK can be 1080p and they tried it and it looked gorgeous, but the framerate suffered. So because of hardware limitations (thanks to Nintendo for deciding on this), they had to lower it and compromise.

Many current/future X1/PS4 games are confirmed 1080p already. The ratio compared to Wii U is not even close. All I'm asking is for more 1080p on Wii U - Sheep posted those articles claiming the system was home to more 1080p after all.

If 1080p is so insignificant, then they shouldn't have posted those articles laughing at X1/PS4, when, factually, it's obvious which consoles can handle the more complex games and still be 1080p (even Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is 1080p).

Anyone else wanting to be sold on 1080p argument, check out the NeoGaf thread I posted above

#23 Edited by super600 (29952 posts) -

@speak_low said:
@super600 said:

I have no idea what was up with Killer Instinct (it should be better...maybe Double Helix isn't as huge or experienced as Retro Studios?), but Titanfall and other games are far more complex and, for many devs, their first time developing for X1/PS4.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is a platformer that everyone here will agree is not the same type of graphical complexity as Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, etc

I'm not talking about gameplay, fun or quality but the visual complexity of the worlds, polygon counts/textures and even the team size needed to make these games.

DK:TF is also not a launch game so wouldn't the added time give them a better chance to learn the intricacies of the Wii U hardware. My believe if the Wii U is too close to last-gen hardware so that is why we see 720p everywhere. Maybe DK can be 1080p and they tried it and it looked gorgeous, but the framerate suffered. So because of hardware limitations (thanks to Nintendo for deciding on this), they had to lower it and compromise.

Many current/future X1/PS4 games are confirmed 1080p already. The ratio compared to Wii U is not even close. All I'm asking is for more 1080p on Wii U - Sheep posted those articles claiming the system was home to more 1080p after all.

If 1080p is so insignificant, then they shouldn't have posted those articles laughing at X1/PS4, when, factually, it's obvious which consoles can handle the more complex games and still be 1080p (even Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is 1080p).

Anyone else wanting to be sold on 1080p argument, check out the NeoGaf thread I posted above

Donkey kong tropical freeze does not have static 2d bakgrounds.Maybe that is what pevented the game from running at 1080P.

#24 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22314 posts) -

So its running at the resolution of most ps4/xbone games? Nice

#25 Posted by m_machine024 (14843 posts) -

Hmm that's too bad but it's not a big deal.

I remember playing DKC Returns (Wii) on my HDTV and it looked crisp and smooth. I don't remember any jaggies. :O And that was in 480p. Well maybe if I play it again I will notice :P but I had no complaints with the graphics. So Tropical Freeze visuals are the least of my concerns.

And man just saw the 3-1 level on GS latest preview and wow that game looks absolutely fun! The music is perfect! Getting a WiiU for this game.

#26 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3225 posts) -

Console gamers obsessing over graphics and resolutions, lol. Care that much about that stuff, get a PC

#28 Posted by bbkkristian (14732 posts) -

Cow Logic: "no 1080p, no buy"

#29 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1841 posts) -

Not big deal for this game really. It pretty impressive visual for "2d" game.

#30 Posted by PonchoTaco (1903 posts) -

So it's on par with most PS4 and Xbone games? Nice.

#31 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23395 posts) -

so?

if you are a dev and you prioritize resolution over other things like draw distance, lighting, particle effects, onscreen enemies and half a dozen other things you are just stupid and i don't want to buy your products.

system resources are limited and i want the power to go into things that i think are more important and resolution is just not very important in the overall scheme of things.

#32 Posted by I_can_haz (6454 posts) -

So it's on par with most Xbone games? Nice.

Fixed for you.

There are no 720p PS4 games.

#33 Edited by I_can_haz (6454 posts) -
@LegatoSkyheart said:

@I_can_haz said:

Nope. PS4 doesn't deal with 720p anymore. The lowest res game on PS4 is BF4 and it runs at 900p, everything else is 1080p on PS4. It's just lems and Sheep that deal with pleb resolutions these days.

#34 Posted by PonchoTaco (1903 posts) -

@PonchoTaco said:

Fixed for you.

How many 1080p 60fps games on PS4? I'm curious.

#35 Posted by freedomfreak (38182 posts) -

I think Bayonetta 2 will end up being 720P, too. It's cool though.

I don't expect miracles to come out of the WiiU. Bayonetta 2 looks just like Bayonetta. It's okay. As long as the game runs at a smooth 60FPS, I'm good.

#36 Edited by I_can_haz (6454 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

@PonchoTaco said:

Fixed for you.

KZSF, Resogun, Warframe, FIFA, COD, Madden, War Thunder, DCUO, Planetside 2 (confirmed by devs last I heard)

There's more I'm missing but these are from the top of my head.

#38 Edited by PonchoTaco (1903 posts) -

@PonchoTaco said:

@I_can_haz said:

@PonchoTaco said:

Fixed for you.

KZSF, Resogun, Warframe, FIFA, COD, Madden, War Thunder, DCUO, Planetside 2 (confirmed by devs last I heard)

Interesting. I'm not worried about my Wii U doing 1080p 60fps. That's what my PC is for :)

#39 Posted by cainetao11 (15841 posts) -

Well now its just a blurry mess!! Cant play that, wont be any fun.

#40 Posted by I_can_haz (6454 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

@PonchoTaco said:

@I_can_haz said:

@PonchoTaco said:

Fixed for you.

Interesting. I'm not worried about my Wii U doing 1080p 60fps. That's what my PC is for :)

Good for you. It's always a good idea to have a good PC to go alongside your console of choice. It's why I have PC and PS4 too.

#41 Edited by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

Expected more from the 360 turbo. Oh well, not like I was going to buy one for this game anyway.

#42 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24246 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@I_can_haz said:

Nope. PS4 doesn't deal with 720p anymore. The lowest res game on PS4 is BF4 and it runs at 900p, everything else is 1080p on PS4. It's just lems and Sheep that deal with pleb resolutions these days.

yet you can't change the resolution or anything on PS4. You got no choice.

#43 Posted by KBFloYd (12747 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

It's rather pathetic that a "next gen" console can't run a simple ass game in 1080p. Well, it is only on par with the ps3 and 360 afterall.

rayman legends is 1080P on wiiU.

these are design choices by nintendo/retro...maybe to keep the file size down or something... look at ass creed 4 on ps4....they got 1080p with a patch..lol ...720p to 1080 is not as noticeable as 30fps to 60fps.

#44 Edited by I_can_haz (6454 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@I_can_haz said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

@I_can_haz said:

Actually you do. You can tell the PS4 to output in 1080p, 1080i, 720p in System Settings. :P On WiiU and Xbone 1080p isn't an option lol.

#45 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16048 posts) -

Ugh... 720p

Now it's unplayable like Xbone games, a lot of PS4 games and every single game before this gen.

#46 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2656 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@I_can_haz said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

@I_can_haz said:

Actually you do. You can tell the PS4 to output in 1080p, 1080i, 720p in System Settings. :P On WiiU and Xbone 1080p isn't an option lol.

LMFAO

#47 Edited by Life-is-a-Game (546 posts) -

So many hypocrites in this thread it is disgusting .. the Sony/MS fanboys are acting like all games on ps4/X1 systems run native 1080p .. yeah right :S

Anyway, we all know that PS4/X1 is more powerful than WiiU so why are we making big news out of this? Also, I'd rather have 60fps than native 1080p with 30fps .. besides all fanboys care about now is graphics :S .. we gamers should be ashamed of ourselves if we continue to emphasize graphics over everything else ..

I just hope the game itself is good .. If it turns out to be good, then I will be getting it like 6 months after release cause I have a ton of games to play right now ..

Also, I figured now that "Speak_Low" is a Nintendo hater :)

#48 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16048 posts) -

1080p isn't necessary to enjoy a game, but I bet most gamers (if the option was available) would always pick 1080p over 720p every time. The only time they'd choose 720p is when there is no option, which is what Nintendo is doing by giving gamers another generation of underpowered hardware

1080p COD: Ghosts (PS4)

720p (880x720 lol) COD Ghosts (Wii U)

I haven't doctored the photos. They're taken directly from this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716795&page=109

When you sit down to watch a new movie trailer on Youtube, do you choose 720p or 1080p?

If Netflix gives you the option for 720p HD or 1080p HD for the newest movie like Pacific Rim, which do you choose?

Like I said, you don't need 1080p, but if the option is there, isn't it obvious what we like more?

What are you talking about ?

What choice ?

Do you get to choose if you are going to play Ryse in 1080p or 720p on Xbone ?

Do you get to choose if you are going to play Donkey Kong in 1080p or 720p on Wii U ?

Do you get to choose if you are going to play Killzone in 1440p or 1080p on PS4 ?

You never get a choice with console gaming.

- Shouldn't a platformer and the extra development time make this 1080p, or at least 1080p/30fps?

- Maybe Nintendo/Retro doesn't care anymore about tanking sales and decided to throw this game out quickly

Again, I do not have a clue what you are talking about.

Suddenly, being a platformer requires a game to run at above 720p resolution. I better clean out my collection of old 2D and 3D platformers quick.

Logic, I can't find any in your posts.

#49 Posted by I_can_haz (6454 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Ugh... 720p

Now it's unplayable like Xbone games and every single game before this gen.

Fixed for you too.

There are no 720p games on PS4.

#50 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16048 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Ugh... 720p

Now it's unplayable like Xbone games and every single game before this gen.

Fixed for you too.

There are no 720p games on PS4.

What about people that game on PS4 hooked up to an HD ready TV.

Ugh, it makes me feel sick !