Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze new Halo Wars?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Halo Wars: 6.5 on Gamespot

Scores 82 on Metacritic and Gamerankings

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze: 6 on Gamespot (keep in mind there is no such thing as .5 ratings now)

Scores 81 on Metacritic and 80 on Gamerankings

Before you start claiming ownage, remember Halo Wars. Also keep in mind that one reviewer is just one opinion, and doesn't necessarily reflect the consensus of reviews. Halo Wars isn't a bad RTS on a console, it's a pretty fun experience that made the most of a bad input method. Would I recommend the game over something like SC2? Probably not, but at the same time, you can spend your money on worse games.

Tropical Freeze? You can argue it's easily Retro Studio's worst game to date, but every studio will drop one every now and then. That said, Retro at its worst will still provide solid level design and sound. Too bad Tropical Freeze also takes the worst aspect of retro games (arcade style difficulty and trial and error level design).

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I'm sure DKTF is a good game, but people here plays scores, not games.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

There is a disparaging difference between the Gamespot score, and the rest of the industry. When you have such a difference, it kind of makes you question the review itself.

Most people are fanboys on here and will just scream flop at the top of their lungs though.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm pretty positive Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is a superb platformer. It sounds like it's extremely well designed and extremely challenging without being unfair. That's what I want.

P.S. When has Retro ever produced trial and error design?! I've played every one of their games to completion (DKCR to 200% completion) and that's never been the case once.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Halo 5 is the new Lightning Returns.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

I'm sure DKTF is a good game, but people here plays scores, not games.

Yep.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Given how much I enjoyed DKC Returns, I highly doubt I'll agree with this review's score. But in the end, reviews are just some guy's opinion. No need to take them seriously, and if you need information about the game you're considering buying, I'd suggest actually reading the review, and see if the points made align with your views, and furthermore, read multiple reviews. The number is mainly there because humans like drama and excitement, and a simple score is an easy way to stir up some drama and use it in whatever fanboy argument you have going on. If there was no score, what would people say instead? "Oh if you read that Gamespot review, in the third paragraph he slams the game design for being bland! Pwned! In your face sucker!". That score is there for click bait first and foremost.

Considering the diversity of scores for both Halo Wars and DK, I'm sure they're both very good games for a lot of people.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Gamespot reviews are fact. Deal with it.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Well, Halo Wars was a mediocre RTS. I haven't played DKC yet, but something tells me it's probably going to be a whole lot better than most platformers.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

thats a stupid comparison

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Atleast it's not as bad as Ryse.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

Anyone know the reason why it got 6 here and 9 on IGN? or does IGN just overrate things?

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hiphops_savior

@ReadingRainbow4:

Ryse: 64 on gamerankings

http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/632870-ryse-son-of-rome/index.html

60 on metacritic

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/ryse-son-of-rome

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hiphops_savior

@Solid_Max13: It's not IGN, but I got this little gem from Eurogamer.

The likelihood, then, is that people who played DKC Returns will find Tropical Freeze a little uninspiring. It's a superior game - it looks nicer, it's easier to control on the GamePad than it was on the Wiimote, and there's slightly more to do - but like a lot of Nintendo's recent sequels, that doesn't feel like quite enough. The craftsman has turned in a damn fine table, for sure, but the chances are you already have a table.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:

@Solid_Max13: It's not IGN, but I got this little gem from Eurogamer.

The likelihood, then, is that people who played DKC Returns will find Tropical Freeze a little uninspiring. It's a superior game - it looks nicer, it's easier to control on the GamePad than it was on the Wiimote, and there's slightly more to do - but like a lot of Nintendo's recent sequels, that doesn't feel like quite enough. The craftsman has turned in a damn fine table, for sure, but the chances are you already have a table.

I honestly like Nintendo a lot, but they really shot themselves in the foot this gen with the Wii U, I hipe they bounce back but they need a Zelda announcement pronto and some better third party, I will root for Nintendo as an underdog but they need some fixin there!

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

@crashnburn281 said:

There is a disparaging difference between the Gamespot score, and the rest of the industry. When you have such a difference, it kind of makes you question the review itself.

Most people are fanboys on here and will just scream flop at the top of their lungs though.

Bingo... this is what I was saying in another thread. This type of thing just happened recently with another high profile game... the kind of high profile game that if you give the LOWEST review score it could easily generate a lot of traffic to your new or dying site.... this sadly being the later of the two.

mixed traffic yes, but traffic none the less. Seeing as though system wars is about the only thing that keeps this site relevant at all anymore that is a win/win.

20 point of more discrepancies kind of make you wonder... in most cases.. that is a blow out ;)

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts
@WitIsWisdom said:

@crashnburn281 said:

Bingo... this is what I was saying in another thread. This type of thing just happened recently with another high profile game... the kind of high profile game that if you give the LOWEST review score it could easily generate a lot of traffic to your new or dying site.... this sadly being the later of the two.

mixed traffic yes, but traffic none the less. Seeing as though system wars is about the only thing that keeps this site relevant at all anymore that is a win/win.

20 point of more discrepancies kind of make you wonder... in most cases.. that is a blow out ;)

Yeah, but a Flop is a Flop.

DK Tropical Freeze and The Last of Us flopped hard.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

@crashnburn281 said:

Yeah, but a Flop is a Flop.

DK Tropical Freeze and The Last of Us flopped hard.

lol. Indeed they did.. indeed they did. Gamespot rules have spoken.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.