Does XBone have Wii-like novelty appeal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

The next generation is about to kick off and it seems like few if any people are asking an important question. If you remember back in 2006 right before the Wii came out, no one really predicted that the $250 motion-controlled console would take the market by storm the way it did (initially).

So, my question to you is, do you think the general consumer could be 'enchanted' by the media control capabilities of the XBox One the same way that the motion controls worked for the Wii last gen? Why, or why not?

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts

The main reason Wii was successful was the price. The Bone is ridiculously over-priced so not a chance. Casuals are more likely to get a PS4.

The Wii-mote was decent for casual games. Kinect is pure garbage. I would be surprised if the Bone manages to outsell the Wii U within two years.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

No because 500 bones.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shewgenja

@BigBoss255 said:

The main reason Wii was successful was the price. The Bone is ridiculously over-priced so not a chance. Casuals are more likely to get a PS4.

The Wii-mote was decent for casual games. Kinect is pure garbage. I would be surprised if the Bone manages to outsell the Wii U within two years.

Very possible that price may play a big factor in mass market penetration.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I'm interested in it for the Kinect 2.0 and multimedia capabilities, but not for $500. Maybe $200.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

Nope, because it actually has 3rd party support that's meaningful.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Yes. Honestly, a device that turns the TV you already have into a full fledged Smart TV with voice and motion controls for the entire device out the box, that could catch on very fast. I think the silent killer app is One years free of Xbox Fitness as again, instead of the thing just being for dad or the brother, more people in the house may have interest in using it. All 5 of my closest pals play Fantasy Football and updates onscreen during gaming, instant Skype calls via voice during gaming, quick switching from gaming to TV to streaming movies, and the biggest part being the heavy Xbox One emphasis on online multiplayer with Titanfall, BF4, CoD, and Halo 5 as well as being able to save and upload gaming footage with your own commentary - all of this is out the box and I do believe it will catch on big time. But we will see.

MS needs to stop all talk about the specs and point out in every damn print ad and commercial all the things it does that the PS4 does not. Games, features, controls, exclusive apps and programs.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

At $500.00 zero chance.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shewgenja

@shawn30 said:

Yes. Honestly, a device that turns the TV you already have into a full fledged Smart TV with voice and motion controls for the entire device out the box, that could catch on very fast. I think the silent killer app is One years free of Xbox Fitness as again, instead of the thing just being for dad or the brother, more people in the house may have interest in using it. All 5 of my closest pals play Fantasy Football and updates onscreen during gaming, instant Skype calls via voice during gaming, quick switching from gaming to TV to streaming movies, and the biggest part being the heavy Xbox One emphasis on online multiplayer with Titanfall, BF4, CoD, and Halo 5 as well as being able to save and upload gaming footage with your own commentary - all of this is out the box and I do believe it will catch on big time. But we will see.

MS needs to stop all talk about the specs and point out in every damn print ad and commercial all the things it does that the PS4 does not. Games, features, controls, exclusive apps and programs.

As much as we usually disagree, I have to say that you are 100% correct. MS needs to stop getting in a pissing contest with Sony and the PS4. They are losing at that game and not focusing enough on what they really wanted to do with the XBone. IMHO, they are getting creamed in the process.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

keep in mind that most devs didnt even bother with wii motion controls

not even microsoft is developing hardcore games with the kinect controls

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@drekula2 said:

keep in mind that most devs didnt even bother with wii motion controls

not even microsoft is developing hardcore games with the kinect controls

Now that everyone will own Kinect, expect to see hardcore kinect games

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

yes but not at 500 dollars that's not something I think parents will get kids. I do think turning tvs into smart tvs has a larger appeal than gamers like to admit and if they can lower the price quickly and come up with some good Kinect games then they might have a chance

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#13  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Nope. Wii offered a new way to play games at an extremely low price. Wii was $250 while the 360 and PS3 were $300(Basic)/$400(Premium) and $500(20GB)/$600(60GB) respectively. People could walk over, try it, and then realize that they could have it without breaking the bank. Back in '06, the economy was better, so take that into consideration as well. The Xbox One isn't under the same conditions.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Not at $500.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Silly Hardcore gamers, The Wii was a runaway success not because of its price point, although it is one of the reasons why it sold. GC was $200 and had a good launch, but sales dropped later on the year due to GTA III and Halo. The Wii sold because it had Wii Sports and the controller interface was simple and easy to use. Those two were major selling points.

What does the Xbone have? No pack in games, just kinect. I highly doubt any casual/non-gamer wants an xbox for its media capabilities if all they want to watch is Netflix.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

The price will kill any appeal the Xbone might have for the mass market. Maybe later on with price drop it might pick up a lot of steam but only in the US just like the X360.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50541 Posts

Not at 500...

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

People buy products that meet their needs.

If someone wants an all in one entertainment system or prefers the X1 exclusives they will buy an X1

If someone wants a games console and Sony exclusives they will get a playstation.

I dont see enchantment is necessary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

It's double the price of the Wii at launch, in a significantly worse economy...

You tell me.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

No. Price, for one, is too high to have the "Wii" effect. Two, more and more devices are doing what Kinect 2.0 does. Don't get me wrong it's prob best at what it does, but it's not unique.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Nope.

MajesticShea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 MajesticShea
Member since 2013 • 730 Posts

no. The Xbox will be lucky to sell 20 million consoles in it's lifetime

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

The next generation is about to kick off and it seems like few if any people are asking an important question. If you remember back in 2006 right before the Wii came out, no one really predicted that the $250 motion-controlled console would take the market by storm the way it did (initially).

So, my question to you is, do you think the general consumer could be 'enchanted' by the media control capabilities of the XBox One the same way that the motion controls worked for the Wii last gen? Why, or why not?

Yes. I think the PS4 is going to start off hot, but in the end appeal only to hard-core PlayStation gamers. I think the media features of XB1 will overshadow the slight hardware advantage.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4574 Posts

Not to me or the people I have talked to. People who had appeal to the Wii, now have appeal to phones and tablets. That or they play their Wii. A bunch of people who don't game that own a Wii hadn't updated their system since the NES/SNES days. A few had the ps2, but not many. Most casuals don't buy a console every generation and when they do, it generally isn't at launch unless it is the Wii and the Wii wasn't $500, it was half that.

Never know though, I could be wrong.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

I think there's a good chance, 100% if they drop the MSRP soon.

(Dudebros [HALO/Titanfall] + sports & fitness + "casuals" [TV & Kinect]) X1 > PS4

There's the chance of PS4 not doing worse due to lower cost and released on more areas around the globe.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

No it doesn't have any gimmicky fad control scheme. Lol!