Does Watch Dogs make you re-consider multiplat development?

#1 Posted by drekula2 (1945 posts) -

WD was developed for PS3, X360, PC, PS4, X1 and currently for Wii U.

For a big budget release that initially showed life-like graphics, only for them to be a disappointment, among other things, I'm wondering if they spread themselves thin. And I'd say yes.

#2 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17930 posts) -

no, I'm not a graphics whore (although I appreciate good graphics)

#3 Edited by TheEroica (13706 posts) -

As an owner of a next gen platform I am tired of cross gen development. ...hated it in gen 7, despise it in gen 8

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

Well if Graphics is what you're into then I understand why you would be dissapointed.

What I don't understand is why do people single out Ubisoft ?

Too mainstream and Successful ?

#5 Posted by drekula2 (1945 posts) -

Not just the visuals but a lot of things in the game felt undercooked. The driving physics for example.

#6 Posted by Netret0120 (2200 posts) -

If you want the best graphics, you shouldn't be playing on consoles.

#7 Posted by Krelian-co (11178 posts) -

Nah it has more to do with the fact that is ubisoft, they always pull garbage like this.

#8 Edited by ChronosChris (297 posts) -

Nope but it makes me re-consider ubisoft.

#9 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16348 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

WD was developed for PS3, X360, PC, PS4, X1 and currently for Wii U.

For a big budget release that initially showed life-like graphics, only for them to be a disappointment, among other things, I'm wondering if they spread themselves thin. And I'd say yes.

Watch Dogs never looked life-like. Neither did other 3rd-person games such as ISS. The only games that looked close to lifelike are the racing games and in my case, flight sims.

#10 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

I think consoles affecting pc gameplay in multiplats is much bigger problem for me than graphics.

#11 Posted by farrell2k (6345 posts) -

I find it funny when console players complain that their games' graphics aren't good enough. You bought a video game console with weak hardware. Deal with it or game on a PC.

#12 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

I am a console gamer, as a result I realise I am not getting the premium graphical experience I could be getting on the PC. I make this little sacrifice because high end graphics isnt my main motivation but to willingly choose to game on a console and moan about FPS and graphics seems ridiculous.

This is why I have to laugh at the 1080p fiasco. I dont care for it, I pick the console with the best games and a pleasant UI and run with it. When I can get absolute true to life graphics will i shell out money on a high end rig. Until then I play games not graphics.

#13 Posted by dakan45 (18621 posts) -

@drekula2: You must read what i got to say, its important.

Remember aliens colonial marines? Well that game was made on a pc on e3 and they found out later that the ps3 version was well out of memory so they had to tone down everything.

Now on watchdogs? Take a look at e3 far cry 3, now take a look at future soldier. ubisoft games never manage to look as good as e3.
Watchdogs on E3 had weapon animations, you know the guns spit empty shells, in the actual game they removed that among many other things. They said in interviews that the delay helped them to get everything they wanted into the game when that couldnt be further from the true.

A ac3 dev said that he didnt even know the game had lockpicking. There are so many people working on games these days and multiple studios that the final result is a badly handled mess. Too many people touch the game and they dont know exactly what each other is suppose to do with it. Watch dogs was a development mess with bad management, but because games have gone so big lately, you can expect such things to happen on next gen as well. They obviously tone down stuff to make the game run on last gen versions...which suprisingly didng bring em much cash. But they still could keep those things in the next gen version. Watchdog perfomance is bad on all systems due to the last gen or the bad management of the project.

I am being very carefull with far cry 4, it doesnt have alot of coverage/info and its also on last gen, which makes me thing the budget and the development for this game is much smaller than watchdogs and can bring another mess, hope not.

#14 Edited by parkurtommo (27228 posts) -

I liked Watch Dogs.

#15 Edited by ShadowDeathX (10673 posts) -

Not really. That is Ubisoft being Ubisoft though.

In fact, a lot of publishers reveal a game running on a super high end PC to get that "OMG, those graphics!!!" reaction from gamers. And then when the actual product rolls out, it doesn't compare at all. But Ubisoft? They do it all the time.

#16 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1632 posts) -

Perhaps the issue stems more from the game being a cross-gen product?

#17 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1367 posts) -

Im not a very big fan of 3rd party multiplats these days. I got Watch Dogs on PC and bleh, big mistake. But Ubisoft cant seem to do PC versions well.

#18 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16348 posts) -

@dakan45 said:

Watchdogs on E3 had weapon animations, you know the guns spit empty shells, in the actual game they removed that among many other things.

I see empty casings being spit out. Ubisoft could've made them easier to see though. The pistol lacks it. At least I can't see casings bouncing around.

#19 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

Cross-generational seem to always spread a little thin. For a new release Watch Dogs was pretty damn good, though the daytime segments (for characters) sucked balls.

#20 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7484 posts) -

People worry about graphics too much.

#21 Posted by brimmul777 (1243 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

I liked Watch Dogs.

I did not.Not much difference to the GTA bs. Just a little bit different concept.

#22 Posted by brimmul777 (1243 posts) -

@CanYouDiglt said:

People worry about graphics too much.

I agree.People sh*t themselves over petty little things.

#23 Posted by LustForSoul (5887 posts) -

They held back so the PS4 and X1 wouldn't look like crap in comparison to PC.

#24 Edited by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

The problem is that gaming has become a business. For some reason gamers want 20 games every year and then complain that developers milk franchises. Devs announce games too early and then have to postpone the release date because they realize that they need more time, while gamers whine that it's taking too long and then whine again when they release half assed games.

#25 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10527 posts) -

Not multiplat but cross gen yes

#26 Posted by mems_1224 (47254 posts) -

No, it makes me not want to buy another open world Ubisoft game again

#27 Posted by MBirdy88 (8326 posts) -

Watch dogs had much more dissapointing problems than graphics.... it was years behind say Grand Theft Auto in every gameplay deparment....

#28 Posted by Zelda187 (944 posts) -

That game had a ton of potential before they scaled it down for consoles.

#29 Posted by foxhound_fox (88714 posts) -

That was caused by Ubisoft being Ubisoft, not because it was a multiplat.

#30 Posted by LadyBlue (3929 posts) -

Cross generation?

Multiplats have never been an issue for me.

Those cross gen games are annoying, I get that previous gen owners want to get as much as possible from their systems, but it really harms the end product.

Take a look at AC: Unity for example, the game is a considerable improvement over Black Flag, that's because it's being developed for next gen systems, & pc only.

#31 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

It's not a multiplat development issue it's a cross Gen issue. The two aren't really the same thing.

#32 Posted by uninspiredcup (8945 posts) -

Crysis 3 is the still the best looking game and most technically impressive on the market.

#33 Posted by cainetao11 (17712 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

As an owner of a next gen platform I am tired of cross gen development. ...hated it in gen 7, despise it in gen 8

And yet, I believe it will go on longer in this gen than it did in 7. Just the development costs being so high.

#34 Posted by Alcapello (953 posts) -

Ubisoft is a joke. They found a little pile of money now they wants to sit and grow on it.

It feel like prince of persia is older than mario at this point.

#35 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

The thing is you have to think of games like Watch_Dogs as last gen ports, because that is what it is. There is no way they started developing it on next gen hardware, sure they could have chosen not to release in on PS4/XOne but they want your monies. I suppose you could make the argument they should have developed it for PC first then ported it to PS4/Xone as the architecture is so close anyway and left PS3/360/WiiU out of it.

#36 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

Developers should only focus on PS4/Xbox One/PC and phase out the weaker hardware that is holding them back.
I understand releasing some games for a quick easy cheap buck like they did with the Wii but the industry needs to grow and progress.

#37 Posted by with_teeth26 (6187 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

Cross generation?

Multiplats have never been an issue for me.

Those cross gen games are annoying, I get that previous gen owners want to get as much as possible from their systems, but it really harms the end product.

Take a look at AC: Unity for example, the game is a considerable improvement over Black Flag, that's because it's being developed for next gen systems, & pc only.

Yea I came here to say pretty much this, multiplat games are fine but when you need to take older hardware into account for cross-gen games the design of the game could suffer.

#38 Posted by bezza2011 (2548 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

#39 Posted by sts106mat (19857 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

this, its getting old.....fast. Can't wait for batman Arkham Knight....the start of a new era

#40 Posted by Gamerno6666 (1546 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

If you want the best graphics, you shouldn't be playing on consoles.

But the PC version of WD is a mess.

#41 Posted by Heil68 (45158 posts) -

It's a confirmation for me that the PS4 enjoys the best console version, so I'll be buying the rest of my mulitplats on it.

#42 Edited by Terrencec06 (3552 posts) -

Multiplat isn't the issue in my eyes. It's cross-gen that's the problem to me.

#43 Posted by dakan45 (18621 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYgXvgS6Ww&feature=youtu.be&t=6m15s

The slide is not moving in the full game.

#44 Posted by sSubZerOo (43216 posts) -

Don't fvcking preorder games.. Plain and simple people.. If we didn't have so many jackasses preordering games because they are gullible enough to buy into the PR bullsh!t, we wouldn't have extremely misleading pr campaigns like Watchdogs, Alien Colonial Marines, Rome 2 Total War.. Seriously there is no reason to preorder games, your only pushing the message to these companies that they can skimp on the game if they push a multi million dollar ad spree in to create hype.. This is the internet phase, nothing is stopping you from WAITING a matter of days after release to see what reviewers of all levels think of the game.. And it's not like suddenly after a bad game is released the consumer becomes smart.. I literally facepalmed at the disaster release of Rome 2 with long time fans complaining of the release when the company has a HUGE track record of releasing broken games.. Yet they some how acted shocked and betrayed, it was hilarious.

#45 Edited by Bigboi500 (30006 posts) -

I wish exclusives would make a strong comeback.