Does Valve need to spend more money on the Steam Machine?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I'm somewhat under the impression that Valve aren't spending enough money on the Steam Machine if the Linux Library is of any indication.

Personally, I feel as if Linux is the Steam Machine's fatal flaw, though I understand that they're choosing this because Windows 7 is not cheap.

If Valve is intent on keeping the Steam Machine Linux-based, one should realize that Valve games aren't enough to carry the system, which leaves me to this question: Should Valve bribe people into porting their console games to PC and Linux?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Its just another pre-built. The big draw for Valve is the Steam OS, not the Steam box. But yes, I agree that Valve aren't doing enough to get people to jump ship. As a Windows and Mac user, I see nothing that would benefit me by switching to Linux apart from endless headaches.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

Personally, I could never switch to Linux. I simply find Windows to fit my needs more. As such, i'll be installing Windows 7 on a Steam machine rather than going with Linux.

Still, I do think that you are right, and that Valve needs to get more games running on Linux.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

The only reason to use windoze is games IMO. If valve can get the steam library working on the steam os I will run away from windows like Django and never look back.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58822 Posts

Valve are clever. They will win. Doubt not.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Personally, I could never switch to Linux. I simply find Windows to fit my needs more. As such, i'll be installing Windows 7 on a Steam machine rather than going with Linux.

Still, I do think that you are right, and that Valve needs to get more games running on Linux.

Can you do that? I don't even know if Steam Machines have access to the BIOS like in PC's. But remember, one of the main benefits of a SM is optimized games for one set of hardware (like a console). But it will be on more powerful hardware. So I might just get one and leave it as is, because I already have a PC for anything else.

Where did you get these ideas from?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clyde46

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lostrib said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Can you do that? I don't even know if Steam Machines have access to the BIOS like in PC's. But remember, one of the main benefits of a SM is optimized games for one set of hardware (like a console). But it will be on more powerful hardware. So I might just get one and leave it as is, because I already have a PC for anything else.

IDK. I just assumed. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are very wrong.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lostrib said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

I don't know about the BIOS (i'd imagine it's accessible, and they've said you can install windows), but there are multiple steam machines with a range of specs to low end to high end (titan, GTX 780)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It doesn't need to spend a cent on the hardware. Their money comes from the Steam OS and people buying games through their service. They make no benefit from building a machine to launch the OS, since anyone can do it themselves.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clyde46

@lostrib said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lostrib said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

I don't know about the BIOS (i'd imagine it's accessible, and they've said you can install windows), but there are multiple steam machines with a range of specs to low end to high end (titan, GTX 780)

A "Steam Box" is just another pre-built PC.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

The success or failure of a SteamOS will depend on how much MS want to retain their near monopoly. If they don't want the money from PC gamers then they'll do nothing, if they do then Valve will have an expensive fight on it's hands.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 flashn00b
@foxhound_fox said:

It doesn't need to spend a cent on the hardware. Their money comes from the Steam OS and people buying games through their service. They make no benefit from building a machine to launch the OS, since anyone can do it themselves.

The reason why I think Valve could spend money on this is to acquire ports of Tales of Zestiria, Final Fantasy XV, Destiny, Grand Theft Auto V, I could write a whole list of games that Valve could buy ports of.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

coming to linux:

star citizen

the witcher 3

project cars

among the sleep

new civilization game

obviously the windows library is bigger. I'm sure the SteamOS/Linux library is bigger than either of the next gen consoles, it's at 463 games now.

people just don't understand what the role SteamOS plays, or Linux, in the bigger scheme of things. i mean, to* suggest that a steam machine should come with windows....

all a steam machine is, is a pre-built PC without windows. it should cost the sum of the parts plus labour .... but without the cost of windows. if down the track you want to play the windows games, you can pay for windows and install it - and once that expense is done with, you've basically got a windows gaming pc. some people say 'well that defeats the purpose' and arguably it does. however with steamOS up to 463 games, and with heavy hitters on the way, it's doing OK.

people think that SteamOS is supposed to get installed with a dual boot with windows, or that it's supposed to draw you away from windows - it's not trying to do any of those things.

also of course steam os refers to the bios, it's actually stipulated it needs a UEFI one!

anyway, i'm seriously impressed with steamos/linux's performance. it's getting lots of games, and as we can see above: big hitters are coming.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

I believe Valve is trying to do what they did with steam and build up a user base with the steam OS over the years. It looks like they are looking for a long term investment.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts
@scottpsfan14 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

You can. The Steam machine isn't a singular machine, as they come with a variety of specs. They are a platform to push SteamOS, but they are essentially just micro/mini-ATX PC's.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I hope that with the help of Valve more games go to Linux and more people start adopting Linux in general because there wouldn't be a better future than open-source. Just look at Android stomping the competition, now imagine that in the PC environment it would be heaven.

Not having to pay for an OS ever again nor be forced into MS' bullshit like Windows 8 or upgrading to the newest paid Windows OS for newer DX and trying to make everything around their crap store in order to control everything you use in your system. It would be a huge boost to openGL and another way to streamline everything and without any additional cost.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I'm ass-uming Valve made the Steam Machine to go head to head with consoles. The $500 model only had the cajones to compete.

Their fatal mistakes were numerous; at some of the price ranges you were getting into PC enthusiast territory, no uniform case, and no uniform hardware. Who would buy $2000 Steam Machine with a valve symbol on the side when you can just make your own custom PC and download Linux for free?

If it was an experiment meant to entice more console fanboys that have been considering taking the PC plunge for a while now it failed miserably. Just the fact that it was upgradeable would have separated it from consoles.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@Boddicker said:

Who would buy $2000 Steam Machine with a valve symbol on the side when you can just make your own custom PC and download Linux for free?

valve is expecting people to do that.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Valve are clever. They will win. Doubt not.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

SteamOS' greatest challenge will be validating itself as a viable platform. But the model is encourageable and, given enough time, will flourish as time goes by.

Also, be aware: SteamOS is 10+ year plan. If Valve gets their way, SteamOS will become the OS of choice for all things gaming.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

If the whole "Steam Machine" concept is ever really going to take off, then I think that Valve is going to have to heavily subsidize them.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

well, thanks to Valve, Linux is already a better gaming platform than Mac. There are like 500 Steam games already available for Linux. All kickstarter projects will come to Linux. Hell, even Star Citizen and Witcher 3 will be coming to it as well. So it's kinda insta win for Linux vs all other non Windows platforms.

Linux will become a real gaming alternative for people who don't care for older games, as basically all new ones will support it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#27 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38027 Posts

@lostrib said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

His anus

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38027 Posts

@Gue1 said:

I hope that with the help of Valve more games go to Linux and more people start adopting Linux in general because there wouldn't be a better future than open-source. Just look at Android stomping the competition, now imagine that in the PC environment it would be heaven.

Not having to pay for an OS ever again nor be forced into MS' bullshit like Windows 8 or upgrading to the newest paid Windows OS for newer DX and trying to make everything around their crap store in order to control everything you use in your system. It would be a huge boost to openGL and another way to streamline everything and without any additional cost.

Yeah because if people go there in droves, someone isn't going to start making money off them. Get real, man. Anything that becomes popular will be exploited for capital gains.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

well, thanks to Valve, Linux is already a better gaming platform than Mac. There are like 500 Steam games already available for Linux. All kickstarter projects will come to Linux. Hell, even Star Citizen and Witcher 3 will be coming to it as well. So it's kinda insta win for Linux vs all other non Windows platforms.

Linux will become a real gaming alternative for people who don't care for older games, as basically all new ones will support it.

As far as I can tell, Linux and Mac are basically equals in terms of game support. The Witcher 2 is on Mac, so I would expect The Witcher 3 to be as well. Also, it looks somewhat likely that Star Citizen will be coming to Mac, too.

" We currently plan to support Windows and are examining our options regarding possible Linux and Macintosh releases. The Cloud Imperium team includes many Linux and Macintosh fans!"

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Its going to take many years for these things to take off, it will be a very slow process. Also games need to start supporting linux, or this wont ever work.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

I think Valve should stop the steam machine all together. Whoever at Valve thought this could work totally misread the market. Who would buy it? And why should someone buy this rather than have the steam Client on PC? The steam box IMO, makes no sense.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By flashn00b

IMHO, one would have to be naive to believe that Valve titles are enough to get people to carry SteamOS, hence why i mentioned the notion of bribing developers to put console games to PC and Linux. :x