Does the Wii U even stand a chance to win this holiday season?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Tony-Baxter (6498 posts) -
Itll most likely be behind the Wii, X360, and 3DS but infront of The PS3 in sales. (NA)
#2 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -
Who knows? I'm surprised the Wii U is back in stock at alot of places already especially the Deluxe. I at least expeected the Deluxe to be completely sold out until Spring 2013.
#3 Posted by MaskedPlayer (892 posts) -

The Wii U will do great.

TC you really need to add more input and your opinion and add more detail into your Original post.People will see this as a troll thread.Sorry if I sound like some annoying teacher.:oops:

#4 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -
I think it will do fine. If it does not, I blame Nintendo for not have Pikmin 3 as a launch title.
#5 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -
I think it will do fine. If it does not, I blame Nintendo for not have Pikmin 3 as a launch title.MercenaryMafia
Pikmin 3 would've driven Wii U sales that much. Was it a huge Gamecube seller?
#6 Posted by Tony-Baxter (6498 posts) -
[QUOTE="MercenaryMafia"]I think it will do fine. If it does not, I blame Nintendo for not have Pikmin 3 as a launch title.FlamesOfGrey

Mario Kart U would've helped.
#7 Posted by Heil68 (47171 posts) -
Sounds like 360 did well on black Friday so i'm guessing it wont beat 7 year old consoles by that much..lolz
#8 Posted by SectorSix6 (201 posts) -

The Wii U will do great.

TC you really need to add more input and your opinion and add more detail into your Original post.People will see this as a troll thread.Sorry if I sound like some annoying teacher.:oops:

MaskedPlayer
shut up, free_Milk. on topic: the Wii U will do just fine.
#9 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34315 posts) -

It probably does.

#10 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25158 posts) -
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="MercenaryMafia"]I think it will do fine. If it does not, I blame Nintendo for not have Pikmin 3 as a launch title.Tony-Baxter

Mario Kart U would've helped.

Well Nintendo needs something for 2013, Pikmin 3 will be good no doubt but not a huge seller.
#11 Posted by AznbkdX (3569 posts) -

Should do okay. It is building up its buzz slowly but surely and seems to be on all the holiday shopping lists I've seen around the net. I'm guessing Ninty for now will ride on NSMB and Nintendo Lands staying power and fresh new console smell for this holiday season.

#12 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

Win? No.

#13 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -
Nintendo should have released the console with Smash Bros. 4. That would have been a guaranteed win.
#14 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

I'm sure it does, but if it does any better than the 360 then I'm willing to bet it doesn't do much better.

#15 Posted by emgesp (2510 posts) -

Have you seen the 2013 Wii U lineup? OMG, it's horrible. I feel bad for Wii U owners.

#16 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
I just hope the 3DS does well. Hoping to pick up an XL this Christmas.
#17 Posted by coasterguy65 (6270 posts) -

It doesn't seem like it's selling that well. There are tons of them available around here, and I've never seen anyone buy one. Even though I've seen plenty of PS3s and Xboxs being sold. Of course I don't just sit at the store and watch for sales, but you would think I would see a few going out the door.

I guess Nintendo needs to create an artificial shortage to generate interest. Seems like some people are confused what it even is. Maybe a different name would have been smarter?

#18 Posted by glez13 (9022 posts) -

Not sure. It didn't beat the old consoles on Black Friday week. Probably next year when it gets good games it will start to advance.

#19 Posted by AznbkdX (3569 posts) -

I just hope the 3DS does well. Hoping to pick up an XL this Christmas.CaptainAhab13

First things first, go pick up SM3DL, KI:U, Pushmo, Crashmo, maybe OoT remake, and KH: DDD, and you should be a happy gamer for awhile! :D

#20 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]I just hope the 3DS does well. Hoping to pick up an XL this Christmas.AznbkdX

First things first, go pick up SM3DL, KI:U, Pushmo, Crashmo, maybe OoT remake, and KH: DDD, and you should be a happy gamer for awhile! :D

Yep, I have a pretty huge list of DS and 3DS games to pick up. :) First Nintendo system, I am going to be so lost...
#21 Posted by AznbkdX (3569 posts) -

It doesn't seem like it's selling that well. There are tons of them available around here, and I've never seen anyone buy one. Even though I've seen plenty of PS3s and Xboxs being sold. Of course I don't just sit at the store and watch for sales, but you would think I would see a few going out the door.

I guess Nintendo needs to create an artificial shortage to generate interest. Seems like some people are confused what it even is. Maybe a different name would have been smarter?

coasterguy65

I've already said what my theory on their marketing is, and I would rather not go into detail. :P

Basically though is that they were trying to rely on a brand name that had no establishment to begin with in the full sense. You can't go off of one product and think that will be all. This only really works for yearly iterations for the most part where its clear what has been changed or evolved and its not a complicated matter to tell what it is. The WiiU is too big a change from the Wii to rely entirely on brand recognition so ppl can't see a progression and think its some expensive accesory for the Wii. Couple this with rather confused consumer with no good marketing, and a bad accessory type name and you got issues.

#22 Posted by Bigboi500 (31309 posts) -

coasterguy65

Just because Nintendo has more stock to meet consumer demand, doesn't mean it's not selling well. It's also stupid to suggest they "create an artificial shortage to generate interest." because companies don't do that despite popular belief because they would lose money.

#23 Posted by AznbkdX (3569 posts) -

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

Bigboi500

Just because Nintendo has more stock to meet consumer demand, doesn't mean it's not selling well. It's also stupid to suggest they "create an artificial shortage to generate interest." because companies don't do that despite popular belief because they would lose money.

There is a difference however from artificial shortage in practice and a shortage by mouth.

Most ppl don't know if their really is shortage or not contrary to the sites info since they don't live everywhere in the world. Maybe they are not having artificial shortages but ppl only believe they do? This may drum up sales without even having shortages to begin with.

Not all business practices should be demanded. There is a ton of psychology that can be applied as well.

#24 Posted by Bigboi500 (31309 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

AznbkdX

There is a difference however from artificial shortage in practice and a shortage by mouth.

Most ppl don't know if their really is shortage or not contrary to the sites info since they don't live everywhere in the world. Maybe they are not having artificial shortages but ppl only believe they do? This may drum up sales without even having shortages to begin with.

Not all business practices should be demanded. There is a ton of psychology that can be applied as well.

Agreed. People's perceptions, real or not, can be powerful things.

#25 Posted by AznbkdX (3569 posts) -

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]I just hope the 3DS does well. Hoping to pick up an XL this Christmas.CaptainAhab13

Yep, I have a pretty huge list of DS and 3DS games to pick up. :) First Nintendo system, I am going to be so lost...

Wow, its your first?

The DS has WAY too many good games on it. ;)

My god... I wouldn't even know where to start on that giant list tbh haha. I would first look for the first and second party games to begin with such as Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon. and the go on from there. M&L series is great, Pokemon is just awesome for newcomers, Dragon Quest for the old school type, and a whole lot more RPG's if thats your thing. There won't be much in the aspect of good shooters but I'm sure thats not your reason for buying it. The strategy kind of games are excellent as well with Advanced Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, etc. as well. Story focused puzzle games like Layton and Phoenix Wright too.

Its just mind boggling really. Sorry if this feels like a coddling since I'm sure you kind of have soem clue whats going on :P. Just helping out is all.

#26 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

AznbkdX

Wow, its your first?

My god... I wouldn't even know where to start on that giant list tbh haha. I would first look for the first and second party games. M&L series is great, Pokemon is just awesome for newcomers, Dragon Quest for the old school type, and a whoel lot more RPG's if thats your thing. There won't be much in the aspect of good shooters but I'm sure thats not your reason for buying it. The strategy kind of games are excellent as well with Advanced Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, etc. as well. Story focused puzzle games like Layton and Phoenix Wright as well.

Its just mind boggling really.

Great to hear! I am mostly interested in RPGs, platformers, and strategy games. Shooters and "larger" games will remain on my PC. :P
#27 Posted by AznbkdX (3569 posts) -

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"] Yep, I have a pretty huge list of DS and 3DS games to pick up. :) First Nintendo system, I am going to be so lost...CaptainAhab13

Wow, its your first?

My god... I wouldn't even know where to start on that giant list tbh haha. I would first look for the first and second party games. M&L series is great, Pokemon is just awesome for newcomers, Dragon Quest for the old school type, and a whoel lot more RPG's if thats your thing. There won't be much in the aspect of good shooters but I'm sure thats not your reason for buying it. The strategy kind of games are excellent as well with Advanced Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, etc. as well. Story focused puzzle games like Layton and Phoenix Wright as well.

Great to hear! I am mostly interested in RPGs, platformers, and strategy games. Shooters and "larger" games will remain on my PC. :P

Yeah I just edited this but I wasn't trying to coddle you if you thought that :P. I'm sure you have some clue on whats going on haha.

The DS and 3DS caters mostly to those exact three genres imo. The quality RPG list is probably like all the systems put together in these past few gens imo.

#28 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

Wow, its your first?

AznbkdX

Yeah I just edited this but I wasn't trying to coddle you if you thought that :P. I'm sure you have some clue on whats going on haha.

The DS and 3DS caters mostly to those exact three genres imo. The quality RPG list is probably like all the systems put together in these past few gens imo.

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped. I'm gradually becoming a (gasp) casual gamer as I grow older and have less time on my hands, so I think that the 3DS XL will be a perfect fit for someone like me.
#29 Posted by themajormayor (24298 posts) -
Hope not
#30 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
Hope notthemajormayor
LOL like what you've done with the avatar.
#31 Posted by themajormayor (24298 posts) -
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Hope notCaptainAhab13

The hat or the flip?
#32 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]Hope notthemajormayor

The hat or the flip?

The hat.
#33 Posted by Sali217 (1290 posts) -
Lolz, I saw a gigantic stack of Wii Us (Both the deluxe and the basic) at Bestbuy yesterday. I was gonna take a picture, but I left my phone in my truck :(
#34 Posted by themajormayor (24298 posts) -
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"] LOL like what you've done with the avatar.

The hat or the flip?

The hat.

Oh thanks alot :3 no one else seem to have noticed
#35 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9889 posts) -
it's not uncommon to have a console sell worse towards the beginning of its life than towards the end. As for the wii, it is dead now and was walking dead for months before that.
#36 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] The hat or the flip?

The hat.

Oh thanks alot :3 no one else seem to have noticed

Man I haven't been on this board in months and I noticed heh. Like it when users get festive... I should give Ahab a candy cane or something.
#37 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

I think it does

#38 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4729 posts) -

Does Pachter make dumb remarks?

Answer: It'll change depending on who you ask, but the answer is always the one people don't want to hear.

#39 Posted by layton2012 (3489 posts) -
It will do well in a year or so, by that I mean it will do great once Mario Kart is out, which could be Holiday 2013, I don't expect it any later than March 2014.
#40 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -

Xbox 360 is more powerful than the Wii U in some internal reports and benchmarks. It's even more powerful than the PS3 which release a year later than the 360. 360 is top dog and will rule this holiday.

#41 Posted by MSXBOX4EVER (604 posts) -

Xbox 360 is more powerful than the Wii U in some internal reports and benchmarks. It's even more powerful than the PS3 which release a year later than the 360. 360 is top dog and will rule this holiday.

jimmypsn

More powerful than Wii U I dunno, Wii U isn't turning any heads yet. More powerful than PS3? Yes - It's like comparing God to a dung beetle.

#42 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
I just hope the 3DS does well. Hoping to pick up an XL this Christmas.CaptainAhab13
Oh don't worry, it will :)
#43 Posted by super600 (31090 posts) -

jimmypsn

:lol::lol:

Maybe in your dream world.The WiiU is using newer hardware then the 360.We will see the graphical capabilities of the console in a year or two.

#44 Posted by mariokart64fan (19690 posts) -

first of all its not a sprint, the wii u will be like the 3ds just fine,

#45 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2603 posts) -

No. I think it will finish behind the 360 and PS3.

#46 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

super600

Maybe in your dream world.The WiiU is using newer hardware then the 360.We will see the graphical capabilities of the console in a year or two.

YOUR SIG! NAWWWWWW :D
#47 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43239 posts) -
Sure, if Nintendo can fill up the shelves with product.
#48 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -

So many people I know are returning their Wii Us because they couldn't flip them for profit. Hahahah. There's gonna be tons of stock on Wii U. Guarantee it.

#49 Posted by AtariKidX (6344 posts) -
The only answer is........NO.
#50 Posted by super600 (31090 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

CaptainAhab13

YOUR SIG! NAWWWWWW :D

Bunnies for the win,:P