Does the PS4 Launch Dethrone the PS3 as the Worst Ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

I didn't think the PS3's launch could ever be topped as the "worst console launch ever", but after the Flop-Floppity-Flop-Flop-Flops that are the PS4's exclusive launch titles, I am wondering if the PS4 is the new "Worst Ever" champion?

Spoiler:

It's not. But, the SW cows deserve to be picked on a bit today.

Pokemon266

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Pokemon266
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

Wait till next week, when every xbone game flops

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

No I dont think so. I think that goes to the N64 for having like 1 game available at launch or the WiiU.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

No... the price saved it.

But if we had the repeat of 599 US dollars, then sure.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 StormyJoe

@Heil68 said:

No I dont think so. I think that goes to the N64 for having like 1 game available at launch or the WiiU.

Stop ruining my fun, Heil68.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Heil68

@StormyJoe said:

@Heil68 said:

Ok..OH MY GOD I REGRET MY PURCHASE.

I have no other choice but to Ebay my PS4 and switch over to Xbox One.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StormyJoe

@Heil68 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Heil68 said:

Thanks. Now I feel better. LOL.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

NO GAMES!... I mean no games that are really interesting

TruthArisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TruthArisen
Member since 2013 • 403 Posts

Wonder Woman smirks.

"Envy has taken you, mortal."

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

No. Battlefield 4, COD Ghosts and Assassin's Creed 4 are excellent launch games. The Sony fanboys will love Killzone no matter how mediocre it is too :P

The WiiU is the worst launch I think.

@Heil68 said:

2! Mario 64 and Pilotwings :D

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Oh hell no. The N64 had Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. 2 classics. The worst goes to the Sega Saturn or Wii.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68

@locopatho said:

No. Battlefield 4, COD Ghosts and Assassin's Creed 4 are excellent launch games. The Sony fanboys will love Killzone no matter how mediocre it is too :P

@Heil68 said:

Well I guess, There are good mulitplats out for both ps4/x1 for launch so there is plenty to play and seeing how Ac IV got 9.0, I'm looking forward to play it. I have 6 games for the PS4, I'll be keeping busy with the system for quite some time.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#13 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

WiiU pretty much beat PS3's Dead Launch. Despite having some games on it's shelf.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 locopatho

@LegatoSkyheart said:

WiiU pretty much beat PS3's Dead Launch. Despite having some games on it's shelf.

Actually, looking at the US titles I'd agree with ya. PS3 only launched here in Europe in 2007, and had some cool games like Motorstorm and Oblivion at that point. Which made for a nice launch.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

As a Cow, I'm going to have to concede that the PS4's launch is wholly uninspiring.

The principle reason I didn't bother pre-ordering a PS4 is because I'm suffering from massive military-FPS fatigue [have been for years], so KZ doesn't appeal to me at all, and most of the other good stuff I have other options for.

When something really interesting comes along [like The Order 1886], I'll pick one up, but for now... I think I'll just blow more money on WoT.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#16 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@locopatho said:

Wii U launch- Black Ops 2, AC3, ZombiU (more polarizing than mediocre), Nintendoland, New Super Mario Bros U, Just Dance 4, Little Inferno

It's launch is solid, post launch is a different story.

Nintendoland (8)>>>Knack (4)

NSMBU (8)> Killzone: Shadow Fall (7)

Yes, I know that NSMBU got a 8.5, but that wouldn't be fair for today's reviews (since it's very possible that Killzone could've gotten a 7.5 in the old ratings system instead).

ConorHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17 ConorHat
Member since 2013 • 141 Posts

I don't really have any reason to buy one, so I would kind of agree it's a bad launch. I bought the PS3 day 1 because of the Blu-ray technology. The graphics in next-gen is like really weak PC graphics, so I probably won't even bother wasting my money on one until there's an exclusive that I need to play, like Metal Gear Solid 5.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

It's close but the multiplats and OUYA ports save it from total embarassment.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By locopatho

@hiphops_savior said:

@locopatho said:

Wii U launch- Black Ops 2, AC3, ZombiU (more polarizing than mediocre), Nintendoland, New Super Mario Bros U, Just Dance 4, Little Inferno

It's launch is solid, post launch is a different story.

Nintendoland (8)>>>Knack (4)

NSMBU (8)> Killzone: Shadow Fall (7)

Yes, I know that NSMBU got a 8.5, but that wouldn't be fair for today's reviews (since it's very possible that Killzone could've gotten a 7.5 in the old ratings system instead).

Problem is Blops 2 and AC3 were the same or worse than last gen 360/PS3 versions, while the rest would fall into "good, not great" category. It lacked a killer app. More 2D Mario and minigames and dancing don't really count imo. If you played 7th gen consoles, you pretty much played the WiiU's launch lineup already.

As I said already, looking up the PS3's launch in America, at least WiiU beat THAT. But here in Europe it launched with some great games including Oblvion. Soooo. I dunno. I can't really think of a worse one than WiiU. At least, that I personally witnessed.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StormyJoe

@conorhat said:

I don't really have any reason to buy one, so I would kind of agree it's a bad launch. I bought the PS3 day 1 because of the Blu-ray technology. The graphics in next-gen is like really weak PC graphics, so I probably won't even bother wasting my money on one until there's an exclusive that I need to play, like Metal Gear Solid 5.

I have a few friends that are of the same mindset. They are investing in a PC and bypassing this gen altogether.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@NameIess_One said:

No... the price saved it.

But if we had the repeat of 599 US dollars, then sure.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

The PS4 hasn't even launched yet.

Two mediocre game reviews with 30 more games available to play and review is a tremendously good thing.

Now, if on Friday, PS4s start RROD'ing, games start crashing, PSN doesn't connect and the whole planet screams in anger, THEN we can talk about a bad launch.

Until then, I'm positive and things look awesome.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

@Pokemon266 said:

Wait till next week, when every xbone game flops

I'll be getting PS4 first myself next summer, but really Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 are likely to score better than the PS4 launch exclusives. Atleast Forza 5 will, DR3 could go either way I suppose.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

Yes. Resistance 1 actually had some decent online

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Heil68 said:

You really should my friend :)

Xbox One: Talk. TV. Halo/Gears/Forza. We are far from broke!!!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Heil68 said:

You really should my friend :)

Xbox One: Talk. TV. Halo/Gears/Forza. We are far from broke!!!

My wife told me I should get the Xbone..maybe I will...

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

No the PS3 was terrible at launch. Just having a better UI is reason enough to make the PS4 better.

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Yes. Resistance 1 actually had some decent online

and motorstorm

mypetmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 mypetmonkey
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Except that game was Mario 64.... You know actually all time top 100 games. Don't think Knack or Killzone is going to make that list.

SmileyTown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SmileyTown
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

Flame bait right here. Nice try tc but I remember the ps3 launch and the ps4 will do way better than ps3.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

If you look at the PS3 launch line up nothing was available either. I didn't go with Sony for their launch. I went with the fact that I KNOW they'll offer great games and continue to support the system for years to come. I like Microsoft, but they can't promise me that. I will probably get an X1 though in a year or 2 if the price drops about $100- $150.

CanBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CanBeer
Member since 2002 • 1911 Posts

Very uninspiring launch. After Sony attacked MS at E3 they seem to have had a huge number of stumbles of their own. Knack got decent hype and is doing horrible... Played the demo at ebgames today and it was terrible.

Won't be buying a new console and launch and will wait to see between Xbox and PS4 what does better over the next few months. So far the most interesting games that we've seen are on both consoles with the exception of Titanfall... The rest is pretty meh so far.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

lol, well if you only go by reviews maybe.

Honestly I use my personal judgement based off the gameplay footage along with review to help in deciding those factors, frankly I wasn't too excited about KZSF but was hoping for the best until I actually saw the review.

lol after looking so great and all the positive things they were saing I was actually surprised with the 7.0 score for KZSF at the end of the video review...It actually made me want to play the game.

From the video it makes the game look like at least an 8.5 to 9 experience despite the number they attached at the end. This will have to be one game I play for myself to make a final judgement...now knack lol that game always looked bad, I never hyped it.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@Heil68 said:

The N64 launched with 4 games.. and one of them is considered the GOAT. Sorry friend.. but Sony holds the title for absolute WORST console launches. How the bloody hell does your launch end up worse than the Wii-U?

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10613 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

@Heil68 said:

The N64 launched with 4 games.. and one of them is considered the GOAT. Sorry friend.. but Sony holds the title for absolute WORST console launches. How the bloody hell does your launch end up worse than the Wii-U?

It all depends on who you ask. The Wii-U's exclusive line-up wasn't too great either. Outside of SMBU, in which was a great game, but nowhere near "legendary" the exclusive launch line-up was a snore fest at best. Some of the multiplats on the Wii-U performed better on the 360/ps3, while with the PS4, that's not the case. In the PS4's case, all of the multiplats runs/looks far better than the 360's/ps3 versions, with very small exception running/looking better than the X1 versions. The PS4's exclusive launch line-up is mediocre at best, but unlike the Wii-U, i expect to play me PS4 for a LONG time after the 15th.

MajesticShea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36 MajesticShea
Member since 2013 • 730 Posts

Pathetic insecure TC, pathetic

slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 slystallion26
Member since 2005 • 819 Posts

@Heil68:

The N64's one game Mario 64 was more groundbreaking than any of the launch titles releasing for either system now...Mario 64 changed gaming and is considered one of the greatest games of all time

I don't think any of the launch titles releasing this month will reach those levels or change gaming in any fashion

I'll take N64's launch any day over today's launches

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

That thread title, certainly amusing. Obvious flamebait, though.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@locopatho said:

@Heil68 said:

Killzone looks pretty good to me. Probably just like this gen, where it is behind Battlefield (due to all the huge maps and vehicles), but at least it's better than CoD in terms of both campaign and online.

I would never buy a console just for a shooter, regardless. Don't care about Halo. Don't care about Killzone. Don't care about Resistance. Etc. I play those games, but I would never really go out of my way for them. Battlefield is typically the shooter I play the most, so if that were an exclusive that's the only game that would make me actually go to that platform (and in the past, that platform was the PC).

@slystallion26 said:

@Heil68:

The N64's one game Mario 64 was more groundbreaking than any of the launch titles releasing for either system now...Mario 64 changed gaming and is considered one of the greatest games of all time

I don't think any of the launch titles releasing this month will reach those levels or change gaming in any fashion

N64 was a long term failure. A few legendary games, and 1 of them happening to be at launch, doesn't change the console's fate as a giant failure. The launch was a failure, and the end result of the system was also a failure.

The playstation 4 has no masterpiece games at launch, but it seems like it's a successful start to the generation. However we will need to wait 1 or 2 years to see how fast the adoption rate is, and of course it takes more than 1 or 2 years to judge a system's software library. However so long as Sony rolls out the exclusives at a relatively steady pace (i.e. there are no 6-12 month droughts) - then it will already be beating the last several Nintendo consoles going all the way back to the N64. Particularly when you consider how many multiplats that the Nintendo platforms tend to miss.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Yep, its amongst the worst yet.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I think the PS3 still has the worst launch of any major console. The PS4 at least has one great multiplat, Assassin's Creed 4, on it. The PS3 had no games worth buying at launch and did not get any for a long time. Plus, the PS3 launched with a terrible online service and that terrible Sixaxis controller. And despite it having no great games and being overall terrible at launch, it was also the most expensive major console of all time.

@Heil68 said:

First of all, that's not true. The N64 had Super Mario 64 and also Pilotwings at launch. Secondly, when one of those games, Super Mario 64, is one of the greatest and most revolutionary games of all time, it more than makes up for it not having many other games. Quality over quantity. I'll take Super Mario 64 over the entire launch lineups of both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One combined.

slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 slystallion26
Member since 2005 • 819 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

@locopatho said:

@Heil68 said:

Killzone looks pretty good to me. Probably just like this gen, where it is behind Battlefield (due to all the huge maps and vehicles), but at least it's better than CoD in terms of both campaign and online.

I would never buy a console just for a shooter, regardless. Don't care about Halo. Don't care about Killzone. Don't care about Resistance. Etc. I play those games, but I would never really go out of my way for them. Battlefield is typically the shooter I play the most, so if that were an exclusive that's the only game that would make me actually go to that platform (and in the past, that platform was the PC).

@slystallion26 said:

@Heil68:

N64 was a long term failure. A few legendary games, and 1 of them happening to be at launch, doesn't change the console's fate as a giant failure. The launch was a failure, and the end result of the system was also a failure.

The playstation 4 has no masterpiece games at launch, but it seems like it's a successful start to the generation. However we will need to wait 1 or 2 years to see how fast the adoption rate is, and of course it takes more than 1 or 2 years to judge a system's software library. However so long as Sony rolls out the exclusives at a relatively steady pace (i.e. there are no 6-12 month droughts) - then it will already be beating the last several Nintendo consoles going all the way back to the N64. Particularly when you consider how many multiplats that the Nintendo platforms tend to miss.

N64 wasn't a failure to me and everyone else who enjoyed it for the time span that it was out and was pumping out games. Thats what ultimately matters that they continued to make games and some of them all time classics, i'm sure Nintendo's margin's and profits for the n64 were successful even if it was second place to the playstation because of 3rd party support issues and going with cartridges that steered people towards the Ps1

A giant failure is Sega Saturn where they stopped making games and supporting it before a few years. Sadly i guess the Dreamcast is a failure because they stopped making games for it even though those were some of my best gaming memories as well.

Main point is N64's launch is better than PS4's just off of Mario 64 alone...deal with it. I don't doubt ps4 will come out with heavy hitters and classic games in the long term but right now its an unnecessary purchase based of games alone

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StormyJoe

@Netherscourge said:

The PS4 hasn't even launched yet.

Two mediocre game reviews with 30 more games available to play and review is a tremendously good thing.

Now, if on Friday, PS4s start RROD'ing, games start crashing, PSN doesn't connect and the whole planet screams in anger, THEN we can talk about a bad launch.

Until then, I'm positive and things look awesome.

You were mentioning something about PS4's being broken?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By StormyJoe

@majesticshea said:

Pathetic insecure TC, pathetic

Really? This coming from the person who wrote in another thread that the PS4 was 4X more powerful than XB1... wow.

I take it you did not read the "spoiler" part either... jeez.

COVAtheNOVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By COVAtheNOVA
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

One of the worst in history to be honest.