Does the current console market truly show which is the best console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maltese_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maltese_Guy
Member since 2008 • 177 Posts

2007 is over and it clearly showed Nintendo took the crown with record sales of its consoles...

I personally have lots of respect for Nintendo, but think both the Wii and DS are technically much inferior to other systems currently on the market..

Am sure games are not the reason for their success since on the Wii i can only point out 3 - 4 great games... (still its a matter of personal taste)..

I own a PS3 and a PSP but am no fanboy.. I enjoyed playing with the other consoles, but my preference goes to the PS3 thus my decision to get that console... (no time for all consoles)

Therefore my question is, do the current sales determine Wii & DS are 'the' best consoles around or they are just overrated consoles, as I personally think the are 'overated'

(not bashing Wii & DS, just a personal opinion) but I would like to hear what others think..

mckenna64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mckenna64
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I think its mostly to do with price. The 360 doesn't have a big enough following to sell the most, so that doesn't have much of a chance of being the best if sales are what reflect the consoles quality.

The PS3 came out at the wrong time and price, so the PS3 couldn't compete with a £175 console at £425. So no it doesn't reflect what the best console is.

The psp only really got good after about a year or so, as it was mostly no games or ps2 ports, but now its holding its own. As a newcomer it's also doing rather well. The ds also has great games so that close between which handhelds better even though the ds is winning in sales.

Maltese_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maltese_Guy

Yeah I agree with you since price factor can determine which console one buys, depending on his/her budget.. Although one has to see what he's getting for the price he's paying... I mean Wii was and still is cheaper than the PS3 but you really can't compare the two both technically and in terms of online / varsatility of features...

As for the PSP, I think it was a huge success seeing how other handhelds did against Nintendo products, failing miserably in both sales and quality of games... I think although still the handheld market will remain dominated by Nintendo, Sony succeeded in getting a large share of the market..

campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 campbell1874
Member since 2006 • 1920 Posts

The PS2 didn't manage massive sales until the PS2 was low in price.

I think the market show that the PS3 and the 360 is to expensive for a lot of people so they will go with the Wii.

The Wii done well attracting more people to gaming so that also helped its sales but the Wii is hurting sales by not managing the demand of games for its wide range of players.

If the PS3 and 360 was at the current Wii price range then i think a lot of people would stop buying the Wii.

The best console is different for each person. It all depends on what games you enjoy. My sister loves Wii sports and she will say the Wii is the best console. My brother loves Football Manager so he would say the 360 is the best console. Just now i would say the 360 is the best console because it has the better games overall to date but this year looks great for PS3 exclusive so I might change my mind by this time next year. This is my opinion.

Maltese_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maltese_Guy

Yes personal tastes determine which is the best console for every individual person...

I think Nintendo was wise enough to market the Wii as a casual console in order to attract a larger number of consumers, keeping a low price... Still it doesn't hide the fact that when it comes to games, they are still delivering the same old franchises, Zelda, Mario etc... I think they are forgetting about the true gamers which want the multi-plats games which the Wii is not getting for many reasons, the main being lack of hardware power...

campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 campbell1874

Yes personal tastes determine which is the best console for every individual person...

I think Nintendo was wise enough to market the Wii as a casual console in order to attract a larger number of consumers, keeping a low price... Still it doesn't hide the fact that when it comes to games, they are still delivering the same old franchises, Zelda, Mario etc... I think they are forgetting about the true gamers which want the multi-plats games which the Wii is not getting for many reasons, the main being lack of hardware power...

Maltese_Guy

Nintendo done well even with the lack of hardware power. Nintendo already done the hard part by getting people to buy a console for its controls over graphics and power. All they have to do is get multi-plats games to come out with special controls that work for Wii games. People dont mind reduced graphic because they like the idea of swinging the controller to play Tiger Woods or using the controller as a baseball bat etc. The controls wont be perfect to start with but they will improve in time.

Maltese_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Maltese_Guy
[QUOTE="Maltese_Guy"]

campbell1874

Nintendo done well even with the lack of hardware power. Nintendo already done the hard part by getting people to buy a console for its controls over graphics and power. All they have to do is get multi-plats games to come out with special controls that work for Wii games. People dont mind reduced graphic because they like the idea of swinging the controller to play Tiger Woods or using the controller as a baseball bat etc. The controls wont be perfect to start with but they will improve in time.

If they manage to do what you say, then maybe they might get my interest in getting a Wii.... :)

DazKurupt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 DazKurupt
Member since 2006 • 1370 Posts

Analysts are starting to project PS3 to overtake even wii in a year or so. The sales trends are showing that PS3 will overtake 360 by years end. Wii while not the fad most thought it was still wont last long enough to see such success as ps2 IMO. PS3 could break ps2's record by 2012. It will get hotter and hotter since it is the only console with an internal blu ray drive, great specs, a great line up. etc. Psp Is going to be hot as well especially next month with CC and GoW CoO dropping in the same month. :shock:

Maltese_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Maltese_Guy

2008 seems like its gonna be a great one for both PS3 and PSP... lets hope games line-up wont be hit by delays...

campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 campbell1874

Analysts are starting to project PS3 to overtake even wii in a year or so. The sales trends are showing that PS3 will overtake 360 by years end. Wii while not the fad most thought it was still wont last long enough to see such success as ps2 IMO. PS3 could break ps2's record by 2012. It will get hotter and hotter since it is the only console with an internal blu ray drive, great specs, a great line up. etc. Psp Is going to be hot as well especially next month with CC and GoW CoO dropping in the same month. :shock:

DazKurupt

A lot of different Analysts say a lot of different thing. You cant beleive most of it. I dont.

I would guess the PS3, 360 and the Wii will end up with close console sales 2010. The analysts i read says approx 40 million each. I dont think the PS3 will come near the PS2 sales by 2012.

The thing i would like to know is how many people will just buy it as a blu-ray player and not play games on it? A big chunk of Sonys profit comes out of software and accessory sales so Sony need as many people as possible buying the PS3 as a gaming console instead of a blu-ray player.

Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
[QUOTE="DazKurupt"]

campbell1874

A lot of different Analysts say a lot of different thing. You cant beleive most of it. I dont.

I would guess the PS3, 360 and the Wii will end up with close console sales 2010. The analysts i read says approx 40 million each. I dont think the PS3 will come near the PS2 sales by 2012.

The thing i would like to know is how many people will just buy it as a blu-ray player and not play games on it? A big chunk of Sonys profit comes out of software and accessory sales so Sony need as many people as possible buying the PS3 as a gaming console instead of a blu-ray player.

The Wii is already at over 20 million and it's only been out for a little more than a year and still has been hard to find. You honestly think that in 2008, 2009, and 2010 Nintendo is only going to match the sales of it's supply-contrained first 15 months? Yeah right. The Wii is guaranteed to get to atleast 60 million in 2010, and that is if people cool down on it big-time. It will be tough for the 360 to get to 40 million, it's been out for over 2 years and still hasn't cracked 17 million and sales last year were even less then it's first year on the market, also with the Wii being a huge success and the PS3 which has been doing solidly in all 3 regions and will start to heat up in my opinion, the 360 has a lot of competition from being the casual lower-end side of spectrum and from the high-tech higher-end of the spectrum. This is how I see the market in 2010:

Wii - 70 million

PS3 - 40 mllion

360 - 30 million