Does Sony owe Vita owners an apology?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I mean I've had the thing since launch and was promised next gen hand held gaming. Unfortunately it seems like the console has become PSP 1.5. Some good games, but among remakes, ports, and indies, nothing really to call a true Vita experience. And now that Sony has pretty much admitted through their actions (lack of promotion, barely existent at E3), it seems like us Vita owners were shafted pretty good. Doesn't Sony owe us something? When 3DS had the $80 price drop, 3DS owners given the ambassador titles. When Wii U sales hit the tank, Nintendo reaffirmed their commitment to the console and gave us an astounding e3. So why isn't Sony just fessing up and trying to do something? I ask you SW since you know absolutely everything.

*Also PS Now and PS4 remote play do not make up for it. I've tried remote play and it sucks. Much better playing games on a nice TV with a proper controller.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

nope, just like ms doesnt need to apologize for price drops with early adopters of xb1.

vita didnt lie about what it was trying to do, it just failed in what it did try

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

They did, and the apology is called the Ps4.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#4 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Well, considering just how bad the PSP was you only have yourselves to blame when you bought Vita. Fooled you once, shame on them, fooled you twice, shame on you.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#5 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
@Ghost120x said:

So vita players have the option to buy a PS4 like non vita owners alike and that will make it up, right?

They didn't do anything and they probably wouldn't do anything to begin with.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

No. Sure they haven't supported it well but it's your fault if you buy a system that has eff all going for it. Why should Sony apologise for that?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

No, an apology would be an even bigger **** you to many fans.

Also it's a product that still has a shitload of games on it. Sony's not gonna apologize for that

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

@shadowchronicle said:
@Ghost120x said:

So vita players have the option to buy a PS4 like non vita owners alike and that will make it up, right?

They didn't do anything and they probably wouldn't do anything to begin with.

That's the point, there is no apology. They want you to forget the vita and get the ps4, it's sad really.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Compared to some electronic failures the vita is a resounding success. Until Microsoft wades through a few giant servings of kinect humble pie I think Sony is good :P

EDIT and in a similar vein I'd be far more pissed off if I'd adopted move and a couple of controllers and got absolutely bugger all in return.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

I bought my Vita last September when it had games, and have been very pleased with it. Best handheld I've had.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I mean I've had the thing since launch and was promised next gen hand held gaming. Unfortunately it seems like the console has become PSP 1.5. Some good games, but among remakes, ports, and indies, nothing really to call a true Vita experience. And now that Sony has pretty much admitted through their actions (lack of promotion, barely existent at E3), it seems like us Vita owners were shafted pretty good. Doesn't Sony owe us something? When 3DS had the $80 price drop, 3DS owners given the ambassador titles. When Wii U sales hit the tank, Nintendo reaffirmed their commitment to the console and gave us an astounding e3. So why isn't Sony just fessing up and trying to do something? I ask you SW since you know absolutely everything.

*Also PS Now and PS4 remote play do not make up for it. I've tried remote play and it sucks. Much better playing games on a nice TV with a proper controller.

Unfortunately it seems like the console has become PSP 1.5." <-- what's wrong with that? PSP is a good system. Also the PS4 is arguably just a PS3.5 and that is probably even more true than calling Vita a PSP 1.5. What's more, PS4 has paid online, PS3 and Vita do not.

"Some good games, but among remakes, ports, and indies, nothing really to call a true Vita experience." <-- what is 'a true Vita experience'? Are you even making any sense?

"Doesn't Sony owe us something?" <--- companies do not owe you anything. It is your prerogative whether to buy something or not. When Nintendo gave ambassador titles (which basically cost them nothng btw) they did not have to do it, it's merely something they took upon themselves to do. For the record, Sony gave Vita fans free downloads of Patapon and Patchwork Heroes. (and Piyotama and Wild Arms) They also heavily support the Vita through PS Plus promotions.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I've had my PSV since launch primarily due to Uncharted Golden Abyss. That game was an incredible start and really was Uncharted on the go. Considering Sony basically dropped support on the handheld after Tear Away, I feel that Sony does owe us something. They don't owe us money or free indie games. No. They owe us some god damn good AAA games!

I want another Uncharted. I want a new Infamous. I want a Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Red Dead! If they made Boarderlands 2 happen, they can make these other third party games happen, they simply refuse too.

If I don't see at least, AT LEAST, three more AAA games on the PSV, then it will be the last Sony handheld I buy. I won't waste my money again.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

.. No of course not, you should have known what you were getting into based on the PSP.. If your upset about it, you have no one else to blame but your SELF.. I am sick of these self entitled morons who think that the companies owe them something, or lied to them.. If you think you made a mistake you should have researched the product more before buying into it.. To this day I am still baffled for instance why people preorder games any more.. Then act all hurt after the game turns out to be crap because they were so excited by the PR campaign the company hooked them into.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I'd rather they go about making support better rather than just a sorry and giving up

I'd be happy if they would stop making stupid, seemingly arbitrary decisions

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Why? You'd rather them go bankrupt supporting a dead platform with games nobody will buy?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#16 cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I don't know about the PS4 remote play as I haven't tried it. But I also bought the Vita at launch and no, imo. Nobody owes me an apology that under further financial analysis they may have come to the conclusion that it isn't healthy for the company financially. There used to be an acceptance in this world that death and taxes are the only guarantees. Now people think they are entitled to them. Does it suck? Hell yes. I wanted more games like Uncharted and KZ Mercenary from them, but that's life. Just my opinion but I believe they looked at the situation saw little financial upside so they have altered their stance. Now when MS does this its 180 and bad, blah, blah. But I didn't take it personal when they had to adapt to what the current climate was telling them, so I don't when Sony has to.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Oh yes there is and it's called TearAway. It just won "best new ip" yesterday on Develop Conference 2014. The game flopped sales wise though.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Alot of people are enjoying the vita as one of the best handheld ever especially with the PS4 integration.

However, Sony has an opportunity to take advantage of forecast and it must be priority.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@sSubZerOo: @seanmcloughlin: So it's a crime to support a product at launch? also, it did have some support initially, they just decided not to try anymore. and blaming it on sales based on year one is pathetic. they should make an effort like Nintendo has. when people weren't buying the 3ds at $250, it didn't take them long to make the right changes.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#20  Edited By cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Why? You'd rather them go bankrupt supporting a dead platform with games nobody will buy?

It boggles my mind that people get uppity when a company has to adjust fire. I'm not happy about it but its like you said. Why would they keep going with what wont work?

xh117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xh117
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts

What people want from the vita is some more big games you can sink a lot of hours in to like monster hunter or pokemon, persona 4 golden is good but thats just one game and is single player only. They had the right idea of a borderlands game on the vita, I just wish it wasn't a borderlands 2 port that is better played on other systems. All they need to do is get rockstar to make like a san andreas stories gta game and use their demons souls ip for a exclusive vita game with from software.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Nah, I knew what I was getting when I got it. I've got enough good games downloaded on it right now to justify its purchase.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

@vashkey said:

Well, considering just how bad the PSP was you only have yourselves to blame when you bought Vita. Fooled you once, shame on them, fooled you twice, shame on you.

This.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

It's funny.. that Sony has a slew of back catalog games (PSO, PS2) and yet they don't release them on the Vita. No need to "re-invent" the wheel.. do what nintendo does.. bring back the classics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

And why exactly is Sony's fault people bought their system early? People should know better. If they bought a Vita and didnt liked what it offered then its their fault, not sony's

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

They'll need to apologise to the PS4 owners when they go bankrupt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
@Telekill said:

If I don't see at least, AT LEAST, three more AAA games on the PSV, then it will be the last Sony handheld I buy. I won't waste my money again.

No problem then. Vita is probably the last handheld sony made. Face it. Dedicated handheld gaming is a dying breed. People can come with the 3DS sales but truth is, the 3DS wont enjoy its predecessor success and it only started being a success after a HUGE price drop and one or two system seller IPs like Monster Hunter and Pokemon. Wasnt for that and I'm sure it wouldnt enjoy that much of a success either.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

Sony could apologize to those of us who haven't bought it yet by making a Vita with SDHC support.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

I bought my Vita last September when it had games, and have been very pleased with it. Best handheld I've had.

same... it has pleanty of games....

I dont care about crap AAA uncharted nonsense on a handheld.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

@vashkey said:

This.

PSP shits all over the vita. If the Vita had PSP levels of support we wouldn't be having this conversation.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic

@Vatusus said:

And why exactly is Sony's fault people bought their system early? People should know better. If they bought a Vita and didnt liked what it offered then its their fault, not sony's

again, you guys seem to miss the issue. this isn't about people not knowing better. this is about Sony supporting a product for a year and then pretending it doesn't it exist the next. it's about not making a good enough effort to improve sales.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@inb4uall said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@vashkey said:

This.

PSP shits all over the vita. If the Vita had PSP levels of support we wouldn't be having this conversation.

True. The PSP was actually a great handheld with plenty of exclusive support:

GoW: Chains of Olympus, GoW: Ghost of Sparta, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, MGS: Peace Walker, MGS:Portable Ops, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Tekken: Dark Ressurection, Daxter, LBP PSP, R&C: Size matters, FF Duodecim, Motorstorm: Arctic Edge, Patapon, LocoRoco, etc, etc, etc

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Vatusus said:

@inb4uall said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@vashkey said:

This.

GoW: Chains of Olympus, GoW: Ghost of Sparta, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, MGS: Peace Walker, MGS:Portable Ops, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Tekken: Dark Ressurection, Daxter, LBP PSP, R&C: Size matters, FF Duodecim, Motorstorm: Arctic Edge, Patapon, LocoRoco, etc, etc, etc

All shit, but if you like that garbage, more power to you. The PSP is easily the worst video game related purchase I have ever made, and I bought two of them at launch (one for me and one for my brother).

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Probably but we can't play "sorry" so what good would that do?

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 inb4uall

@Renegade_Fury said:

@Vatusus said:

@inb4uall said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@vashkey said:

This.

All shit, but if you like that garbage, more power to you. The PSP is easily the worst video game related purchase I have ever made, and I bought two of them at launch (one for me and for my brother).

You're entitled to your opinion. It's wrong though. R&C size matters and the Patapon games are some of my all time favorites.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Renegade_Fury

@inb4uall said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@Vatusus said:

@inb4uall said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@vashkey said:

This.

All shit, but if you like that garbage, more power to you. The PSP is easily the worst video game related purchase I have ever made, and I bought two of them at launch (one for me and for my brother).

You're entitled to your opinion. It's wrong though. R&C size matters and the Patapon games are some of my all time favorites.

Ooof, well if you consider games like Ratchet and Clank to be all time favorites, nothing more needs to be said, because I can't relate. The "best" games (and I say it loosely) on the PSP to me were Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter X, Mega Man: Powered Up, Lumines, DJ Max, and Ridge Racer. Needless to say, I don't consider them to be worth the $250 price tag of admission.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@sSubZerOo: @seanmcloughlin: So it's a crime to support a product at launch? also, it did have some support initially, they just decided not to try anymore. and blaming it on sales based on year one is pathetic. they should make an effort like Nintendo has. when people weren't buying the 3ds at $250, it didn't take them long to make the right changes.

Where and when did I say it was a crime? Merely to own up on the fact that you are taking a risk when you buy products at launch.. And it's your own damn fault for buying into the "hype".. There is no reason now a days to buy a product before you read reviews, feedback etc etc on a product before you buy it..

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 final_lap

@Renegade_Fury said:

@Vatusus said:

@inb4uall said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@vashkey said:

This.

All shit, but if you like that garbage, more power to you. The PSP is easily the worst video game related purchase I have ever made, and I bought two of them at launch (one for me and one for my brother).

well it sucks to have bought two of them at launch, since you paid the maximum price and got the worst model. (though it is reminiscent of what happened with the Vita and 3DS) I got my first and second PSP's used for $100 each and my third was given to me for free, so maybe it's no wonder I think the system is so good.

Also, none of those games are my favorites (that or I haven't played them) with Crisis Core being a possible exception. (I hate FF series but seeing as nobody else does, I dont know why Crisis Core gets so much hate) And Ratchet Size Matters is downright terrible. I enjoyed Rengoku 2, Megaman Powered Up, Fat Princess, the Ace Combat games, the Medal of Honor Heroes games, the Pursuit Force games, and several racers. And Resistance Retribution was pretty cool for its online play.

If there is a purchase I am more likely to regret it's getting the Xbox 360, two of them (one for me one for my nephew) and each of them experienced hardware issues.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
@Renegade_Fury said:

@Vatusus said:

@inb4uall said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@vashkey said:

This.

Lol. I do. But I hope you dont believe your opinion is more than that. These games are highly rated and loved among their community. Your opinion means shit. The PSP was, in fact, a great handheld

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 inb4uall

@Renegade_Fury said:

@inb4uall said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@Vatusus said:

@inb4uall said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@vashkey said:

This.

Ooof, well if you consider games like Ratchet and Clank to be all time favorites, nothing more needs to be said, because I can't relate. The "best" games (and I say it loosely) on the PSP to me were Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter X, Mega Man: Powered Up, Lumines, DJ Max, and Ridge Racer. Needless to say, I don't consider them to be worth the $250 price tag of admission.

Best doesn't equal favorites. I understand that there are objectively better games than R&C on the PSP. Although I would argue Patapon is top tier.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Renegade_Fury

@Vatusus said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

@Vatusus said:

@inb4uall said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@vashkey said:

This.

Lol. I do. But I hope you dont believe your opinion is more than that. These games are highly rated and loved among their community. Your opinion means shit. The PSP was, in fact, a great handheld

My opinion means just as much as any stranger's: meaning you can ignore it and listen to your own. I couldn't care less if anyone disagrees with my viewpoint.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@final_lap:

Yeah, the PSP is basically the reason why I don't buy anything at launch anymore. I learned the lesson the hard way, which is why I'm not in a hurry to buy any new system. That does suck about your 360s. I got "lucky" with my original since it lasted for six years, but I did eventually have to buy a slim model after baking the old one in an oven no longer worked lol.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 final_lap

Patapon strikes me as a game that was made on a bet. Because when playing the demo you get the impression that all you do the entire game is press "square square square circle" and "circle circle square circle". But when you play through the game you realize that pretty much sums up the entire experience. And to top it off there is grinding.. as though the game wasn't repetitive enough.

I also rather have beef with the way the fever system works. Your combo count goes up no matter how badly your rhythm is. Only once you actually gain fever does your combo become broken. So every ten drums you gain fever only to lose it immediately (with the beeeoooop sound to sort of drive the point home), and this just happens over and over.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

An apology would be good. They should apologize before they roll out their next fiasco with the Morpheus headset. Because if that bombs then they will be apologizing to a lot more people than just Vita owners.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

The PSP suffered severe droughts as well.

It seems people should have just assumed the Vita would be the same, or worse. After seeing the 3DS flop at $250, why would people buy a different $250 handheld with super expensive memory cards, and after seeing Sony's track record for supporting the PSP?

The threat of mobiles, and the downfall of many Japanese developers were both pretty clear signs that the 3DS and Vita would suffer, albeit the 3DS less-so because Nintendo actually treats both handhelds and consoles as money-making devices.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

After M$ apologizes for forcing Kinect and Kinect 2.0 on the XBOX fan base, just to kill it off 6 months after the X1 release.

All that super Mega hype train the forced, all those studios that went dead becuz of Kinect, all that $$$ wasted from both M$ and the people who bought

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Yes...They should feel bad because of it. I know they feel bad, but only for themselves for making a stinker. Sony are just trying to pass it off a PS4 add-on. (coughWiiUpadcough) hoping to save it from total doom. (They won't)

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Sony should really sit down and focus on just piling on the PSN classics onto the system, there is no reasont they can't just dig through their catalogue and just flood the store with cheap quallity classic games.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

No. The Vita doesn't have the best 1st party support but games do keep coming out for it. If you don't like those games, then maybe you should have waited until there were enough games you wanted to make the Vita worth it for you.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

No need for an apology. It's not like you were forced to buy it. It's your decision.

An apology is only needed if they deliberately decide to stop supporting it after less than a year on the market.