Does Sony have an empire? (PS4/PS3/Vita/Project Morpheus)

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45060 Posts

Never in the history of gaming do we have company that has had so much success on different platforms at once. I think this is the beginning of the Sony Empire and you betta recognize! Tell me what MS has? 360 has barely had an support in years. You guys are lucky you're even getting Titanfall, but it's on PC anyway. The X1 is $100 more than PS4 and doesn't even match the PS4's power. The Wii has long been dead and Wii U who? With Sony, you are still getting support on all 3 systems and now you will have the VR of choice with Project Morpheus since Zuckerbag will be using Oculus relive college fantasies. What say you SW? are you ready for Sony Empire?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17420 Posts

Happy 12th Birthday!

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Take Sony's wang outta your mouth before posting. Seriously.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Well, ps4 is kicking ass. ps3's been rocking it for years now... But Vita...? Vita tanked hard. It's an interesting system with some cool looking games, but only a small community of gamers actually care. I'm pretty sure Vita will be Sony's last handheld.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

lol no?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Delusional cow asks a question.

Answer: a crumbling empire.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Never in the history of gaming do we have company that has had so much success on different platforms at once. I think this is the beginning of the Sony Empire and you betta recognize! Tell me what MS has? 360 has barely had an support in years. You guys are lucky you're even getting Titanfall, but it's on PC anyway. The X1 is $100 more than PS4 and doesn't even match the PS4's power. The Wii has long been dead and Wii U who? With Sony, you are still getting support on all 3 systems and now you will have the VR of choice with Project Morpheus since Zuckerbag will be using Oculus relive college fantasies. What say you SW? are you ready for Sony Empire?

Nintendo & SEGA Empire > Sony

Hope the Sony Empire doesn't go bankrupt in the next couple of years. I predict a few more firings before this gen is over.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Why did you include the PS3? Shouldn't it be PS4, Vita and Morpheus?

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@Basinboy:

I lol'd so hard:-P

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well PS3 is last gen, and for this gen only vita and PS4 are actually available out of those two, and PS4 is still in its early stages and vita is second to 3DS.

So no

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#11 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

If a company in the crapper financially is an empire, the barbarians are already through the gates. Having many products doesn't constitute corporate empire. Then Shoprite brand is an Empire.

thegamer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 thegamer00
Member since 2013 • 153 Posts

Isn't Sony going bankrupt?

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

#PlaystationNation Dominating the gaming market for the past 15+ years. Thank you Sony.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@UnbiasedPoster said:

#PlaystationNation Dominating the gaming market for the past 15+ years. Thank you Sony.

Except for the first three years of the ps3... That they charged 600$ for... And their entire handheld division...

I love Sony, but they've had their low points.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

It's an evil empire, I'm afraid.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19513 Posts

Sony used to be an empire back in the PS1 & PS2 days, when it was a major force in many different industries, ranging from games and movies to music, electronics and mobile phones.

Nowadays, Sony is more like a collapsing empire, with nearly all of its divisions struggling, with the one bright hope being its gaming division.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45060 Posts

@Jag85: thank you for at least writing an intelligent rebuttal

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Except for the first three years of the ps3... That they charged 600$ for... And their entire handheld division...

I love Sony, but they've had their low points.

This. I support Sony but I am not so blind not to realise their mistakes.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

If you would stop bending over for Sony, you'd realize that they are in deep trouble. Yes, the PS brand is doing well, but still selling at a loss.

PS is only a PART of Sony, they need ALL their products to do well as a whole, and guess what, they aren't at all! Do you remember that 78% chance of the company failing within the next two years?

It's kinda sad... But you have to realize that Nintendo and MS are MUCH more stable and secure company's.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

PS3 last place, Vita last place, Morpheus not even consumer ready yet, leaving the PS4. Not much of an empire.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cainetao11

@Jag85 said:

Sony used to be an empire back in the PS1 & PS2 days, when it was a major force in many different industries, ranging from games and movies to music, electronics and mobile phones.

Nowadays, Sony is more like a collapsing empire, with nearly all of its divisions struggling, with the one bright hope being its gaming division.

Their insurance holdings remain their most profitable, not their gaming.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#22 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1578 Posts

neither sony or MS will have an empire -.-

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Apple, Samsung, Google, MIcrosoft those are companies with empires, Sony is struggling to keep their head above water no matter how good the ps4 is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Well, ps4 is kicking ass. ps3's been rocking it for years now... But Vita...? Vita tanked hard. It's an interesting system with some cool looking games, but only a small community of gamers actually care. I'm pretty sure Vita will be Sony's last handheld.

Its a shame, I've only had a week and I find it more enjoyable than my 3DS ever was.... just too expensive, and the memory cards held alot of people back.

The remote play with my PS4 is perfect. (though I wouldn't play competitive shooters or anything with it.) ... lots of PS3/PS2 and Japanese focused games on the system... unlike pretty much every other device (except Nintendo 1st party naturally).

I'm kinda hoping it picks up with its tighter intergration with the PS4.... its a really REALLY good system... just doesn't have that 1st party. its entirely a 3rd party machine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@slimdogmilionar said:

Apple, Samsung, Google, MIcrosoft those are companies with empires, Sony is struggling to keep their head above water no matter how good the ps4 is.

trying to be clever?

3 of those have no empire in the gaming industry.... in any different way than Windows (a host.) Microsoft.... does not have an Empire in gaming..... has enver been "the big cheese" not once.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@MBirdy88 said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Its a shame, I've only had a week and I find it more enjoyable than my 3DS ever was.... just too expensive, and the memory cards held alot of people back.

The remote play with my PS4 is perfect. (though I wouldn't play competitive shooters or anything with it.) ... lots of PS3/PS2 and Japanese focused games on the system... unlike pretty much every other device (except Nintendo 1st party naturally).

I'm kinda hoping it picks up with its tighter intergration with the PS4.... its a really REALLY good system... just doesn't have that 1st party. its entirely a 3rd party machine.

Yeah, I've messed around with it a bit, and it's a really cool piece of hardware. It's just not pumping out the kind of software that makes me want to spend 200$ plus whatever else I need. Hardware-wise, I'd probably prefer it to the 3DS, but the 3DS has the software I want. I'm seeing a lot of last-gen ports to Vita.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

As much as I love my PS4. I'd be a little more realistic. The PS4 is kicking ass in the first 6 months of a 10 year lifespan, but the PS3 is on its way out, the Vita is synonymous with the Titanic and Morpheous isn't even out.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

If Sony is a crumbling empire then MS is a crumbling basement that has and never had anything interesting to offer.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@slimdogmilionar said:

trying to be clever?

3 of those have no empire in the gaming industry.... in any different way than Windows (a host.) Microsoft.... does not have an Empire in gaming..... has enver been "the big cheese" not once.

You don't need gaming to have an empire you need a company that is successful in more than one category and can maintain profit, each of the companies I listed does that. Apple, M$, and Google are on Forbes top three tech companies Sony is like number 40 something. Samsung capitalized on Sony paying too much attention to gaming and took the T.V. business from Sony, Disney buying rights to almost every superhero movie Sony ever did in the past. Sony was an empire back in the days when they still made cassette walkmans and everybody was walking around with boombox's, now they'll only be known as a video game company. If anybody has an empire in gaming its Nintendo, WiiU is doing horrible but they still not doing bad like Sony, they are actually coming out with a new system. Nintendo is probably older than most of the people who post on here. The good ol 8bit days, when game content was all that mattered.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cainetao11

@silversix_ said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

If Sony is a crumbling empire then MS is a crumbling basement that has and never had anything interesting to offer.

Your future isn't in major corporate business, I take it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 silversix_

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Don't tell me you fund that on your own. WOW

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cainetao11

@silversix_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

If you can equate a corporation with Market Cap of 340.14 Billion to a crumbling basement because someone pointed out Sony is a crumbling empire, when its well known their debt trouble, operating debt margin, then I hope you stick with TV resolution. Your response was obviously fueled by butthurt.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By silversix_

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

If you can equate a corporation with Market Cap of 340.14 Billion to a crumbling basement because someone pointed out Sony is a crumbling empire, when its well known their debt trouble, operating debt margin, then I hope you stick with TV resolution. Your response was obviously fueled by butthurt.

Some1 takes SW pretty seriously, go outside from time to time.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

mentions vita... leaves

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

No. Because the company is going bankrupt

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cainetao11

@silversix_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@silversix_ said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Some1 takes SW pretty seriously, go outside from time to time.

I was at that time. Free wifi in NYC parks is awesome. LOL

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

They are still an empire but not a very good one. If they don't make some more changes they might be reduced to a much smaller company. It's probably best for them to reduce some anyway

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cainetao11

@Couth_ said:

They are still an empire but not a very good one. If they don't make some more changes they might be reduced to a much smaller company. It's probably best for them to reduce some anyway

Might be? They have sold off assets and divisions. They are smaller. Tough times indeed, but the tough decisions are being made.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

PS3 last place, Vita last place, Morpheus not even consumer ready yet, leaving the PS4. Not much of an empire.

pretty much this

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Couth_

@cainetao11 said:

@Couth_ said:

Might be? They have sold off assets and divisions. They are smaller. Tough times indeed, but the tough decisions are being made.

They are still players in a ton of different markets. They are very much relevant in movies, music, audio, gaming, mobile phones, cameras and TVs.

As far as divisions they only sold VAIO.. They need to make movies and audio more profitable, and they need to advertise mobile better. (Xperia z2 is a beast).. They should probably dump WALKMAN though, that crap is useless. But if they make the right moves they could still be big players in the aforementioned markets.. If they don't make the right moves they might be reduced to just a couple of them, or none at all.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Nintendo was founded in 1889 and has done everything from video games to taxi cabs to trading cards to instant rice to love hotels.

Sony was founded in 1958 and has hands in music, movies, video games and various electronics.

I'm not sure I'd define either of them as an "empire". That would be a company like DeBeers.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cainetao11

@Couth_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Couth_ said:

They are still players in a ton of different markets. They are very much relevant in movies, music, audio, gaming, mobile phones, cameras and TVs.

As far as divisions they only sold VAIO.. They need to make movies and audio more profitable, and they need to advertise mobile better. (Xperia z2 is a beast).. They should probably dump WALKMAN though, that crap is useless. But if they make the right moves they could still be big players in the aforementioned markets.. If they don't make the right moves they might be reduced to just a couple of them, or none at all.

Im a stock holder, and former series 7 registered broker. Been at this a long time (1992) this company is not all that relevant in cameras and TVs anymore. We may have a difference of opinion, so define relevance for me. These divisions are costing the company money, generating next to nothing in return. That means not many are buying their TVs and cameras, at least not enough to move past the operating cost and be in black or profit. I stand corrected on actual division(s) as that was a typo. Company is downsizing, hence the sell off of employee space in buildings.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

The vita is selling horribly like the WiiU,the PS4 is selling well and Project Morpheus may flop if sony does not price it right and market it well.Project Morpheus may not resonate with the consumers.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Just because they have A product in every category doesn't mean they have an empire. Especially not if most of the products aren't doing too well. PS3 is last gen so I don't know if you can count that. PS Vita is drastically behind the DS and Mobile Gaming. Morpheus is still a prototype and I doubt it'll be as refined as Oculus. Say what you want about the FB acquisition but jokes aside, being backed by a multibillion dollar company isn't a bad thing. Noone can predict the future. The only solid product Sony has is PS4. So no. Far from a monopoly/ empire.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Nintendo was founded in 1889 and has done everything from video games to taxi cabs to trading cards to instant rice to love hotels.

Sony was founded in 1958 and has hands in music, movies, video games and various electronics.

I'm not sure I'd define either of them as an "empire". That would be a company like DeBeers.

nintendo owns the seattle mariners lol

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

An empire? I duuno. They have a great brand,sure. I will say this much; ever since signing up for PS+, I've been seriously considering getting a Vita now. Whereas before I had all but written it off.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Couth_

@cainetao11 said:

@Couth_ said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Couth_ said:

Im a stock holder, and former series 7 registered broker. Been at this a long time (1992) this company is not all that relevant in cameras and TVs anymore. We may have a difference of opinion, so define relevance for me. These divisions are costing the company money, generating next to nothing in return. That means not many are buying their TVs and cameras, at least not enough to move past the operating cost and be in black or profit. I stand corrected on actual division(s) as that was a typo. Company is downsizing, hence the sell off of employee space in buildings.

Yeah we probably have different definitions of relevance. But I feel they are at least in a position to make profit within their next line of cameras, TVs and phones. Their technology is there. They just need to work their competitiveness, advertising and brand appeal. At least for mobile and TVs anyway - I don't know shit about cameras. Like I said though If they don't I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell off any of those divisions as well. They have struggled to break even with movies. But a couple of blockbusters could change that

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cainetao11

@Couth_: no doubt they're hoping for big return from amazing Spiderman 2. And I am looking forward to it. They do have the tech, as u said. But pricing is a bit ridiculous at times. Sony used to be THE name in many things, and they still believe it. Lower those prices or competition keeps pounding you. Just use the structure used with ps4.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Nintendo and SEGA had been more successful in the past and Sony is losing Billions of dollars every year . So saying that no game console maker had been so successful ever is a lie .