Does Nintendo still have that kiddy image?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

M rated games aside. I don't recall playing one of their first party games that dealt with contemporary issues. I'm not talking about sex, violence or cursing.

Deus Ex Human Revolution for example dealt with the ethics of human augmentations, what it means to be a human, how far science can and should go to ''enhance'' us.

Spec Ops the line dealt with the horrors of wars, gamer's fascination with violence and at being heroes obsessed with killing, ignoring what real war is like.

TLOU had themes about human survival, bonding, how far can a man go to protect his loved one and how a lawless society turns into a tribal, bloodthirsty one.

Is there a Nintendo game that has an engrossing storyline or at least deals with meaningful themes and concepts? Of course all of that is subjective but I'd like their games to go beyond ''stop the bad guy, save the princess''.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

They sure try their hardest to keep that up.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Juub1990

@freedomfreak said:

They sure try their hardest to keep that up.

Can't say I disagree. It's like that new game coming out, Splatoon. It could turn out to be a very good game but it simply doesn't feel aimed at a mature audience. To me games are supposed to be about more than just pure fun. I doubt Splatoon has anything else to offer other than being fun.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23893 Posts

Of course they exist. But not many of them are localized in the west.

And they are still occasionally even localized in the west.

Loading Video...

Spoilers in video.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

Eh do games really have to address social issues? I mean most people play them as an escape. I don't look to games for social commentary.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

221 posts must be the new 500 posts. Mods please lock topic...

CleanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CleanB
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

To me games are supposed to be about more than just pure fun.

lol at that comment. Every game can't be everything for everybody.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Juub1990

@CleanB said:
@Juub1990 said:

And this is why I said ''to me'' and made it a point to say it was subjective in the OP. Just like when I read a book or watch a movie, I like being entertained but it's not the only thing they provide. If they only provided simple, mindless fun, I'd find games(or any medium really) just as shallow as Jersey Shore or any 2-bit reality tv show.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

I'd say some Nintendo games use dark themes, but very subtlety such as Pikmin where the planet that the Pikmin inhabit seems to be a post-apocalyptic Earth, or Earthbound where it has many dark undertones, and I'd say Metroid (not the original one however) has many such themes, such as genocide.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Juub1990

@LJS9502_basic said:

Eh do games really have to address social issues? I mean most people play them as an escape. I don't look to games for social commentary.

Never said games have to address social issues. I just provided example. Majora's Mask had very interesting themes I'd hardly call social.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Unfortunately yes.

And it'll remain that way until they get 3rd party support.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Never said games have to address social issues. I just provided example. Majora's Mask had very interesting themes I'd hardly call social.

Your major complaint against Nintendo was they don't deal with contemporary issues....which is just a synonym for social issues FYI.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Juub1990

@LJS9502_basic said:

Your major complaint against Nintendo was they don't deal with contemporary issues....which is just a synonym for social issues FYI.

And then I said ''meaningful themes and concepts''. I simply gave examples but it can be a lot broader than just addressing social issues.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22630 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: I don't think games have an obligation to present mature themes or social issues etc in their premise/narrative, but that also doesn't mean that people aren't going to look at the Nintendo franchises/fiction as not being aimed at a younger audience.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

I don't think them employ anyone that writes fleshed out stories and I'm fine with that, video game writing is bad at the best of times.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Juub1990: Yes they still have kiddish image ... When someone hears Nintendo all it comes to his mind is Mario / Kart / Smash and Zelda ... and repeat.

Very few will think about anything else as the first game it comes to their mind. That alone is an evidence of the image Nintendo has for majority

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yes.

@LJS9502_basic said:

I also agree with this. But then again, these things are not just related to stories.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Unfortunately yes.

lol NO!

Even if they did have the third party support, that view will never go away. Not as long their Triforce of IP's (starring a plumber, a hylian hero, and kids with monsters) remain. Even the SNES was dubbed as a kiddy console, so don't fall back on that one like the hypocritically nostalgic love to do.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

YES !!!!

And even with 3 party support Nintendo´s HEAVY HITTERS ARE KIDDY GAMES : Mario in all it´s ways sizes, shapes and forms, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pokemon whatever, Pikmin, Ben 10 n´ such.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#20 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Why does Nintendo did to make games that tackle themes and subject matter? Why can't games just be fun games?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Oh, and you need 500 posts to make a thread here. inb4lock

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nintendoboy16

@raugutcon said:

YES !!!!

And even with 3 party support Nintendo´s HEAVY HITTERS ARE KIDDY GAMES : Mario in all it´s ways sizes, shapes and forms, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pokemon whatever, Pikmin, Ben 10 n´ such.

While a post I otherwise agree with. The bolded part is...

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

still collecting mushrooms

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

They certainly do with me, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

In fact I would LOVE to play Mario and Zelda again, but I'm not going to pay $300 plus new game prices for just those games.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

The problem with games with social issues is the ideological slant behind them. It would be better that games are mostly focus on entertainment.

I think that Nintendo still has the "family" image instead of "kiddy" which seems perjorative and negative.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Seeing as how gaming is still in its infancy stage when it comes to meaningful storytelling, I admire Nintendo in saying "**** that" and just focus on delivering wonderful gameplay experiences.

And I find the notion of labelling shit as "kiddy" to be pretty idiotic and immature in on its own. But that's just me.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Yes, although I find they are identified more by what they lack (properties for the core market) than what they offer. Because those kiddy games, generally, are pretty damn good, but it's to blame for their failure in other areas.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@drinkerofjuice said:

Seeing as how gaming is still in its infancy stage when it comes to meaningful storytelling, I admire Nintendo in saying "**** that" and just focus on delivering wonderful gameplay experiences.

And I find the notion of labelling shit as "kiddy" to be pretty idiotic and immature in on its own. But that's just me.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Yes. In a nutshell, general consumers aren't taking Nintendo as seriously as Microsoft and Sony, they're not even in the same ball park. It sounds bleak, but its just the reality of the situation. Their brand is simply crumbled to pieces, with no help from their shit marketing. They need an overhaul to their brand perception to change consumer awareness, which in my opinion can only be done by a strong, agressive, all-out marketing campaign in tandem with a brand new piece of hardware that is different from their currently percieved philosophy.

But i'll just throw my hands and say that it will never happen in a million years. Judging by how royally awful their marketing has been ever since the Wii bubble burst, there's no doubt in my mind that NX will not change their imagine and their shrinking relevance within the video game industry.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

62 million systems sold...in a gen where their console was their worst selling...

not bad.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:
Even the SNES was dubbed as a kiddy console, so don't fall back on that one like the hypocritically nostalgic love to do.

All consoles back then were considered, and mostly were in reality, kiddy. Mascot platformers were the biggest games.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Splatoon

That is all.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@AzatiS said:

Yes they still have kiddish image ... When someone hears Nintendo all it comes to his mind is Mario / Kart / Smash and Zelda ... and repeat.

Very few will think about anything else as the first game it comes to their mind. That alone is an evidence of the image Nintendo has for majority

Truth.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nintendoboy16

@locopatho said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
Even the SNES was dubbed as a kiddy console, so don't fall back on that one like the hypocritically nostalgic love to do.

All consoles back then were considered, and mostly were in reality, kiddy. Mascot platformers were the biggest games.

The Genesis/Megadrive's reception says hello. Granted, not exactly adult oriented, but once you consider that uncensored MK was still rubbed in Nintendo fans faces, plus other titles made it seem like the older kids console (which is close enough), and it wasn't just SEGA's advertising that was talking.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 locopatho

@nintendoboy16 said:

The Genesis/Megadrive's reception says hello. Granted, not exactly adult oriented, but once you consider that uncensored MK was still rubbed in Nintendo fans faces, plus other titles made it seem like the older kids console (which is close enough), and it wasn't just SEGA's advertising that was talking.

Megadrive always struck me as going for "cool and edgy", in a kids way, not really adult at all. Again, a freaking cartoon hedgehog was their biggest game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nintendoboy16

@locopatho said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Megadrive always struck me as going for "cool and edgy", in a kids way, not really adult at all. Again, a freaking cartoon hedgehog was their biggest game.

Look what various other titles backed up with Sonic.

Mortal Kombat?

John Madden and various other sports titles?

Streets of Rage?

Golden Axe?

Now let's see who backed up Mario during that era most...

Donkey Kong?

Kirby?

Zelda?

Mega Man (original series and X)?

And that putting aside Metroid (before Samus lost her place on Nintendo's Triforce to a Pokemon Trainer circa 1996) and Killer Instinct (which outsold the whole MK Trilogy on SNES with the Japanese only DBZ games following suit), which we're made for older audience, they we're only occasional stick-outs by comparison.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho

@nintendoboy16 said:

Look what various other titles backed up with Sonic.

Mortal Kombat?

John Madden and various other sports titles?

Streets of Rage?

Golden Axe?

Now let's see who backed up Mario during that era most...

Donkey Kong?

Kirby?

Zelda?

Mega Man (original series and X)?

And that putting aside Metroid (before Samus lost her place on Nintendo's Triforce to a Pokemon Trainer circa 1996) and Killer Instinct (which outsold the whole MK Trilogy on SNES with the Japanese only DBZ games following suit), which we're made for older audience, they we're only occasional stick-outs by comparison.

I wasn't really going in for individual games, just the atmosphere around both consoles seemed equally kiddy at the time. I mean, Super Probotector (Super Contra's European name) and Zombies Ate My Neighbours scared the shit out of me as a kid, but to my parents they were still toys.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

Unfortunately yes.

lol NO!

Even if they did have the third party support, that view will never go away. Not as long their Triforce of IP's (starring a plumber, a hylian hero, and kids with monsters) remain. Even the SNES was dubbed as a kiddy console, so don't fall back on that one like the hypocritically nostalgic love to do.

SNES was seen as a Kid machine back in the day because of Sega's Marketing.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nintendoboy16

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

Unfortunately yes.

lol NO!

SNES was seen as a Kid machine back in the day because of Sega's Marketing.

Like I was telling loco. It wasn't just the marketing that did the talking.

CleanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CleanB

@Juub1990 said:
@CleanB said:
@Juub1990 said:

And this is why I said ''to me'' and made it a point to say it was subjective in the OP. Just like when I read a book or watch a movie, I like being entertained but it's not the only thing they provide. If they only provided simple, mindless fun, I'd find games(or any medium really) just as shallow as Jersey Shore or any 2-bit reality tv show.

Being fun doesn't always mean shallow. Nintendo games are almost never shallow when compared to other console games on other systems. The only series I can think of that they make like that is Mario Party.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@KBFloYd: 62 million? Huh? Your post confuses me.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Yes, and the image has been more emphasized over time. The loss of sports games and the marquee titles from third party developers (which happen to be "mature") hurts the image.

That's not a bad thing, Nintendo games are still amazing experiences.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

I don't get it. We grew up with nintendo and their "kiddy games", so why can't the current gen of kids get that same thing.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nintendoboy16

@Hatiko said:

I don't get it. We grew up with nintendo and their "kiddy games", so why can't the current gen of kids get that same thing.

Because several gamers have too self centered of a view and think gaming should be ALL about a certain group involving them.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#45 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Most M rated game are only rate M because of blood, bad sex scene or innuendo.

You never thought that Mario is a serious murderer ... he killed so many goomba in his life.

You all forgot that Final Fatnasy was made on Nintendo consols first, some resident evil were exclusive to that consol, eternal darkness or all the super violent games that came on the Wii ... but whatever no need of all of that to have a very good game that is fun and Nintendo is that.

CleanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CleanB

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Hatiko said:

Because several gamers have too self centered of a view and think gaming should be ALL about a certain group involving them.

Yes I see too many posters on game boards who say "I'm grown now, and I only play games that are for grown adults like me." but I think if you're an adult that shouldn't be your focus because after all you're still PLAYING GAMES. Both those words I emphasized are related to children's activities to begin with.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Nintendo has a family image. Sony and Microsoft have the 'just about to hit puberty' image.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Nintendo hasn't been cool since ever.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Considering it's biggest recent success is a bunch of overpriced happy meal toys I would say definitely.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Juub1990

@nintendoboy16 said:

Clearly you don't get it. Some simply think Nintendo should broaden their audience and not simply alienate those who grew up on their games. Nobody wants them to stop making Mario and Zelda. I know I'd simply like more variety and different demographics from their games.