Does Nintendo just have inferior programmers?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@achilles614 said:
@Epak_ said:

@Desmonic: You keep calling the controls cumbersome, to me cumbersome controls equal to early Resident Evil. What makes the controls cumbersome to you? Aren't they responsive?

You can't be serious thinking that Mario 64 has "superb controls". Look, I love the game in fact I'm playing it this week (it's in my N64). I can't help but keep noticing how god awful the controls are, they're clunky and unresponsive (that's on a sony PVM, so no input lag there). Sunshine controls much better.

But I think more of the control issues stem from the "analog" sticks performance.

Yeah the analog stick wore down pretty easily. I had 2 controllers, one brand new and the other was worn as hell, I had to push the joystick really hard to get any response.

Edit: ... and yes, I think it has superb controls.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Epak_:

Nice to here that someone else gets it.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@Heirren said:

@Epak_:

That video you posted was epic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Epak_ said:
@Heirren said:

@Epak_:

That video you posted was epic.

He's great. He doesn't hold the 120 record anymore but I don't see many others able to pull it off under pressure like that.

It baffles me that people don't grasp why the controls are so legendary--the player does literally every single movement. You can play it safe and play like a novice of course, or you can build the character momentum and do some truly amazing things.

***SGDQ 2015 is coming up late july, btw. Mario 64 is not the only great game to watch.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Heirren: You're even more delusional if you think a speed run constitutes any sort of validation for your insane argument that game was the pinnacle of anything.

You want skill in games? Here you go:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

^^

These two games have "infantile" controls. Now do what these two did. Go on, have fun.

And with that I'm done. Pointless to keep knocking on a wall. Enjoy 1996 and your mad skills.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@waahahah said:
@emgesp said:
@waahahah said:
@emgesp said:
@Heirren said:

I'd say they have some of the best programmers out there. They get a lot out of the hardware and the games almost always run flawlessly.

Yeah because Nintendo games never really push the tech of a console. There isn't a single Wii U game that is more technically impressive than God of War 3 on the PS3. Bayonetta 2 still doesn't come close.

Because you know everything about the tech due to the artstyle? That's kind of a nonsense way of approaching this

If that game is pushing the Wii U to its limits than I'm unimpressed.

Again, what you're saying is completely nonsense, the games that are on the wii are just different and for the most part went with different aesthetics / art direction. There are a lot of different types of programmers and Nintendo definitely has some of the best, they're games are always balanced well for graphics/performance and tend to be released without any issues. They're programmers genuinely focus on more important aspects and that's releasing a completely working product without the need for a 3gb day 1 patch.

I never said Nintendo has bad programmers. Anyways, technically Platinum Games isn't part of Nintendo.

I think it is quite clear that Nintendo games for the most part have never really pushed hardware to its absolute limits.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#157  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@emgesp: You should check out some Gamecube games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Desmonic said:

@Heirren: You're even more delusional if you think a speed run constitutes any sort of validation for your insane argument that game was the pinnacle of anything.

You want skill in games? Here you go:

^^

These two games have "infantile" controls. Now do what these two did. Go on, have fun.

And with that I'm done. Pointless to keep knocking on a wall. Enjoy 1996 and your mad skills.

Them some nice clicking skills in that video lol.

Bloodborne video not bad, i could down that Boss even faster than that though. Ill spam and get all up in that booty.

Show us some Donkey Kong or Contra, we want some real skills.

Or even a guy speeding through Bloodborne or Dark Souls, they requires skills to do, you have to dodge a lot and have quick reflexes.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 emgesp

@mesome713 said:

I own a Gamecube, so I'm well aware of its library. The best looking games on that system were made by third parties.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@emgesp: You didnt play Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, or Zelda Twilight Princess?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 emgesp

@mesome713 said:

@emgesp: You didnt play Metroid Prime or Zelda Twilight Princess?

Yes of course I did. I still own a copy of Twilight Princess for Gamecube.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@emgesp: You dont think it pushed the Gamecube? I heard it pushed it to the limit.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 emgesp

@mesome713 said:

@emgesp: You dont think it pushed the Gamecube? I heard it pushed it to the limit.

Yeah it definitely pushed the Gamecube.

I just personally find RE4, RE Remake, Rogue Leader, and to a lesser extent Star Fox Adventures to be really impressive looking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@emgesp: Well there not, did you know RE use fixed cameras and pre rendered graphics to make it appear better looking. Its easy to decorate the inside of a box, its hard to decorate the outside of the box.

I dont know about Rogue Leader though, ive never played it, it does look like good graphics.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By emgesp

@mesome713 said:

@emgesp: Well there not, did you know RE use fixed cameras and pre rendered graphics to make it appear better looking. Its easy to decorate the inside of a box, its hard to decorate the outside of the box.

I dont know about Rogue Leader though, ive never played it, it does like good graphics.

Who cares if the cameras are fixed, or if it uses prerendered backgrounds. it still makes the game look good.

What about Resident Evil 4? No pre rendered backgrounds or fixed cameras.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@emgesp: True, but that doesnt make it more impressive, just makes it look good. Twilight Princess is impressive, how Nintendo made that game the way they did and compress it into such a small size is amazing. Sure RE looks impressive, but once you know their tricks and stuff it become less impressive. I use to praise it, and i still do, they did amazing work, but horror games allow you to do that, if Nintendo tried to make Zelda game that way people would riot, doesnt matter how good it looks, they would not be impressed cause they would lack control.

RE4 was an amazing achievement, but they had mastered the system and that engine by then and spent big money. But yes, RE4 was amazing in bout everything it does. Only a few games should push a system graphicly like that, but it better be a big selling game or else would be foolish to waste money doing that. Im still amazed at what they did, RE wasnt selling to good, but for some reason they went big.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#167  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19509 Posts
@mesome713 said:

I dont know about Rogue Leader though, ive never played it, it does look like good graphics.

The use of pre-rendered graphics is a big reason why REmake still holds up so well today. The pre-rendered backdrops were rendered with CGI tech that was a decade ahead of real-time graphics back then. And then that allowed the GameCube's power to be focused on making the characters and objects look as detailed as possible. Sure, it's a cheap trick (well, not really cheap, since CGI tech is actually expensive), but it made REmake look incredible for its time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Jag85 said:
@mesome713 said:

The use of pre-rendered graphics is a big reason why REmake still holds up so well today. The pre-rendered backdrops were rendered with CGI tech that was a decade ahead of real-time graphics back then. And then that allowed the GameCube's power to be focused on making the characters and objects look as detailed as possible. Sure, it's a cheap trick (well, not really cheap, since CGI tech is actually expensive), but it made REmake look incredible for its time.

This is why people say the newer resident evil games are not resident evil games, and it is unfortunate that the team didn't envelop further along the lines of Code Veronica. Resident Evil created freight through film editing techniques. The original psx hardware was limited to a stationary camera. Code Veronica introduced panning, tracking, etc. Imagine with the hardware of today what could be done. This is why people are upset with the newer games. They aren't terrible by any means--it is more of a fanbase being bummed out of what could actually be produced within the spirit of the original games.

MicrosoftCEO9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 MicrosoftCEO9
Member since 2015 • 48 Posts

@iambatman7986 said:

More like some of the best. They make games that run flawlessly on their hardware and the games look beautiful considering the hardware.

On their hardware. Which was made specifically for them, which is why the Third Parties go to people like Us at Microsoft.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Jag85 said:
@mesome713 said:

Well said, yeah i shouldnt have called it a cheap trick, it was far from cheap, it was actually kinda innovative at the time. It worked great, it being a horror game and all. I do wish they would give us another like it.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#171 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@drekula2 said:

I'm not trying to diss Nintendo. I've tried to defend them for years, but even with an console that's stronger than the PS3, their games are lacking in online and graphics. I used to say "they could make a gorgeous multiplayer if they wanted to". But honestly, I don't even think they could.

Halo 3 is an 8 years old last-gen game. It had a more robust and functional online than ANY Nintendo game. And it also somehow manages to look better than Pikmin 3 and Star Fox Zero.

At some point, you just have to admit, their creative vision aside, they just can't program as well as most studios.

Or programmers who never saw the need for online function when they can just put out a good game.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#172 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

They have probably the best programmers out there, just play any Nintendo exclusive and you'll notice how well everything runs.

Nintendo doesn't have the power of Ms and Sony, therfore they try to offer different experiences than their counterparts.

Without Nintendo we'd be dominated by shooters only, so be glad Nintendo exists.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#173 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

That's a bunch of baloney. There's plenty of games out there not made by Nintendo that are not shooters.

@aia89 said:

Without Nintendo we'd be dominated by shooters only, so be glad Nintendo exists.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

Hard to believe so many people are still on nintendos nuts, and still defend them here.

They have sucked since the N64, with a few great games inbetween.

Sure they have had some fantastic games, but they are always a mario/zelda/metroid etc... rehash.

I am so over nintendo, when I think of gaming they dont even come to mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Advid-Gamer: Nintendo rehashes games the least in this industry. Madden, batman, Witcher, CoD, FF, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Assassin Creed, halo, Forza, GTA, MLB, Gran Turismo, i can name them all day. At Least Nintendo spices it up with their games and only release on per system. Thank goodness we dont get Mario Kart every few years.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

@shadowchronicle said:
@drekula2 said:

I'm not trying to diss Nintendo. I've tried to defend them for years, but even with an console that's stronger than the PS3, their games are lacking in online and graphics. I used to say "they could make a gorgeous multiplayer if they wanted to". But honestly, I don't even think they could.

Halo 3 is an 8 years old last-gen game. It had a more robust and functional online than ANY Nintendo game. And it also somehow manages to look better than Pikmin 3 and Star Fox Zero.

At some point, you just have to admit, their creative vision aside, they just can't program as well as most studios.

Or programmers who never saw the need for online function when they can just put out a good game.

they tried to get online on Pikmin 3 but couldn't (on a console stronger than the PS3!)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#177 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Heirren said:
@MirkoS77 said:

It'd be interestering to see Nintendo tackle an open world game like GTA. Many of Nintendo's software is very simple and formulaic in nature. Open world games are going to have bugs no matter who creates it, they are insanely complex undertakings and it's just the nature of the beast. They push the envelope, and when you push the envelope things get broken and are imperfect. When you've been honing and perfecting the same thing over many years, that's when you achieve a degree of polish that Nintendo has.

When making any statement on programming acumen, it's vital to keep in mind the context of the games that we are judging them on. If Nintendo made The Witcher 3, for example, I can almost guarantee you that their level of polish wouldn't be the same as if they were making Super Mario Galaxy or Mario Kart. Those are simplistic in comparison.

It's fair to say that the type of software Nintendo creates holds direct bearing on the polish that is found within them. That in mind, there are many other capable developers out there that would hold as much polish in their games if they were of similar nature.

I think Nintendo has to see the point of a game, or some kind of structure. I think Mario 64 and Sunshine were their takes on it. People seem to overlook the complexities of these games.

But I agree that it would be interesting to see maybe, the Mario RPG series take on a more open area type of feel like The Witcher 3.

The ironic thing about talking about "open world" games is that Nintendo worked with what was Rockstar at the time on Body Harvest. They shaped many of the core ideas of this genre.

Open world games do have a structure, and they have an objective.

I've never seen Nintendo actually accomplish anything past what they've known since their heyday in basic gameplay formula. Games such as TW3 and GTA utilize incredibly complicated AI systems, traffic systems, NPCs wander through these massive worlds and they all have to be able to adapt to player input and change accordingly to other variables that are in a constant state of change themselves. Think about what these games are doing under the hood. To hell with polish, I find it a miracle they exist, period. What game has Nintendo ever done to show that they would be able to do this?

When people say Nintendo has polish and they have talented developers, this is inarguably true, but it seems to be said sans context and then held in comparison to games whose ambition far exceeds something that Nintendo always seems content to focus on over and over.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@MirkoS77:

Most open world games are poorly designed. They're more experience driven than game driven. The controls for GTA are still atrocious on consoles. Characters tend not to react to the game world, or do so in limited fashion.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#179 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily say Ninty has inferior programmers, it's just that the hardware itself is inferior. You can only do so much with two Wii's duct taped together.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@Heirren said:

I'd say they have some of the best programmers out there. They get a lot out of the hardware and the games almost always run flawlessly.

This.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#181 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41525 Posts

@mesome713: My advice, dude. Don't bother with him.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#182 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Heirren said:

@MirkoS77:

Most open world games are poorly designed. They're more experience driven than game driven. The controls for GTA are still atrocious on consoles. Characters tend not to react to the game world, or do so in limited fashion.

Poorly designed is not the same as poorly programmed. We're talking about whether Nintendo has good programmers, not about their approach to game design.

Since IV, GTA has utilized the euphoria physics engine which directly impacts the feeling of controls as it needs to accommodate things such as weight, momentum, etc.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@Advid-Gamer: Nintendo rehashes games the least in this industry..... Witcher.....

Provide evidence that the Witcher is a Rehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Loading Video...

@FireEmblem_Man:

Bout same design every time with just minor changes each time

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#185 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@mesome713 said:
Loading Video...

@FireEmblem_Man:

Bout same design every time with just minor changes each time

lol that does look pretty rehashy.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#186 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41525 Posts

@emgesp said:
@mesome713 said:

I own a Gamecube, so I'm well aware of its library. The best looking games on that system were made by third parties.

Um... Star Fox Adventures (before Rare's MS buyout?), Metroid Prime, Wind Waker?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178833 Posts

No they don't. Never have and probably never will. Seriously dude Nintendo might not interest you but don't diss the company.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 emgesp

@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:
@mesome713 said:

Um... Star Fox Adventures (before Rare's MS buyout?), Metroid Prime, Wind Waker?

I did say Star Fox Adventures, but that game wasn't developed by Nintendo. Nintendo was only the publisher.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@emgesp: Shigeru Miyamoto was a producer on it, so it was pretty much developed by Nintendo.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

@shadowchronicle said:

That's a bunch of baloney. There's plenty of games out there not made by Nintendo that are not shooters.

@aia89 said:

No, not plenty. The industry focuses on shooters when it comes to high budget titles. Nintendo are the exception.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#191 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

I havent liked a nintendo console since the SNES. I'm really curious to know if Nintendo's new console they are working on will be good or just the same junk they keep releasing.

I'm not sure why they got the idea to release weak hardware in their consoles since the Wii, the gamecube was graphically on par with the other consoles just had a shittty god awful worst controller imaginable, which brings me to another thing, they need to make a good controller, copy the playstation controller if they have to, since the playstation basically copied the snes controller and put two analog sticks on it.

The SNES was the most powerful console at the time, hopefully their new console will blow away xbox and ps4 because i'd like to actually get behind nintendo again like in the old days and they can get ahead of these current gen consoles by releasing a true gaming system that can do 1080p @ 60fps.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Yams1980: But Wii U can already do 1080p @ 60fps.

Also gamecube was most powerful console, and Gamecube controller is considered the greatest controller of all time, people still use it on Wii U, they refuse to let that thing go.

Copy the playstation controller? You mean the worst controller ever?

Sounds like you want a PS5, i would stick to them, let Nintendo be Nintendo.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1108 Posts

Their games are some of the most stable I know of and that's pretty much the best metric of looking at the quality of the actual programmers behind it. Nintendo's programmers are most likely the most talented in the industry. Also I am a professional programmer in real life for what it's worth.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#194  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@Yams1980: But Wii U can already do 1080p @ 60fps.

He/She meant on *ALL* games...not just some...& no BS like cinematic experience crap, :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@superbuuman: So maybe they should complain about Xbox One and PS4 and ask them to make one that can.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#196 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Did you see Captain Toad or Hyrule Warriors? Both literally knocked my socks off in how good they looked despite how "weak" the Wii U is said to be.

Those games are gorgeous among many others.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#197  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@drekula2 said:

I thought it was common knowledge around here that third party developers find the Wii U hard to program for. Wouldn't that make Nintendo programmers superior, and third party developers who cannot program for the Wii U inferior? Some third party programmers that can develop for Nintendo are Activision, Avalanche Software, EA, Namco, and Ubisoft. This cherry-picked for convenience:

"The ease of use compared to other consoles is assuredly attractive, too. By comparison, 63% of developers who spoke to IGN said the Wii U would be the most challenging platform to develop for. One creator went as far as saying, “we won’t be working on Wii U due to these complexities,” while another lamented the difficulty of moving innovative games unique to Wii U to other platforms. This poses the question: Will Nintendo once again need to rely primarily on first-party games to propel platform success? At any rate, the Wii U’s 2012 release window gives it a distinct advantage: time."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/the-next-generation-according-to-game-developers

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#198 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@Collie_Lover: There is no inferior when it comes to this type of development. The tools and environment are what determines how productive a developer can be. Nintendo has a development environment that they use and are familiar with, Game studios have their own. The difficulty comes when you try and develop using your tools and processes on another platform that does not allow you to use those tools. So you need to develop new tools or you struggle through a long process of repetition. What sets some studios apart is experience and type of programmers some have Graphics programmers who have enough experience to build their own tools and extensions to existing engines some don't.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@spitfire-six said:

@Collie_Lover: There is no inferior when it comes to this type of development. The tools and environment are what determines how productive a developer can be. Nintendo has a development environment that they use and are familiar with, Game studios have their own. The difficulty comes when you try and develop using your tools and processes on another platform that does not allow you to use those tools. So you need to develop new tools or you struggle through a long process of repetition. What sets some studios apart is experience and type of programmers some have Graphics programmers who have enough experience to build their own tools and extensions to existing engines some don't.

Programmers and studios with more experience that can make their own tools for themselves and for others are superior to ones who cannot?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34565 Posts

Yeah. This is why Nintendo games are always riddled with bugs, as compared to other companies games who make completely bug free games, such as Ubisoft and EA.