Does Microsoft/Sony Fear the "Nvidia Shield"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

Nvidia teaming up with Android

developing a "streaming console" backed by Nvidia GTX 980's android machines

is this over for windows and playstation

whos gonna wanna play games on that when u can play with that and like better tech all the ram all the power of nvidia

streamed into my house

what were microsoft and sony thinkin living the past aint the way to win right? i want streamed nvidia 980 GTX for 200 bux

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@ProtossX said:

Nvidia teaming up with Android

developing a "streaming console" backed by Nvidia GTX 980's android machines

is this over for windows and playstation

whos gonna wanna play games on that when u can play with that and like better tech all the ram all the power of nvidia

streamed into my house

what were microsoft and sony thinkin living the past aint the way to win right? i want streamed nvidia 980 GTX for 200 bux

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Personally I think they should be worried about how it will effect their console business, though not windows. It's got me more impressed then all the consoles currently on release. It fits the need for me to have a decent streaming device from my current pc to the living room, while allowing me older catalogs of games and newer to download or stream at 72030fps or 1080p 60fps. Actually this box fits all my living room needs outside of having a 980 and an i7, which I don't need in the room with a device like this anyway. I can just have it in my game room, and use this device in my living room and bedroom.

For $199 This machine is a game changer. Anyone thinking it isn't has got their heads up their asses.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ProtossX

@ribstaylor1 said:

Personally I think they should. It's got me more impressed then all the consoles currently on release. It fits the need for me to have a decent streaming device from my current pc to the living room, while allowing me older catalogs of games and newer to download or stream at 72030fps or 1080p 60fps. Actually this box fits all my living room needs outside of having a 980 and an i7, which I don't need in the room with a device like this anyway. I can just have it in my game room, and use this device in my living room and bedroom.

For $199 This machine is a game changer. Anyone thinking it isn't has got their heads up their asses.

bro you dont understand

NVIDIA shield > your gaming rig

you don't need a gaming room

just a get big 4k televsion and hook this up this thing will play games better than ur computer it has Nvidia's Tegra X1 Super Chip you don't have that do u? so ur gaming rig is crap compared to this

it streams everything in 4k resolution tv movies games

this puts ur overpriced rig to shame and it will constantly be updated with new technology thru nvidia this kills ur rig

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

No, but in the long term Grid can become a good option for lots of people. If it works as intended. Let's see that subscription price. And if you can't play your Steam games then it'll flop.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ribstaylor1

I understand what it does but I don't think it's going to replace rigs. I and others enjoy playing with our toys too much to give up that for a streaming service that so far has only been shown off on stage. I'm down for it and like where they are going but no way will I ever own just a single one of these over a dedicated machine that can render the games itself. I have yet to pay for any services from any game company so good chance I skip out on that on this machine too. Again opting for my pc streaming from the other room with my all ready downloaded list of games.

That's why this machine is awesome. It's only $199 so it's the perfect side kick to my pc. And if I so wish I can pay em a fee and just stream for those in the house that want games to play that aren't based entirely in my games room. It adds options and at an affordable price which is why this machine is so awesome.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ProtossX

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

No, but in the long term Grid can become a good option for lots of people. If it works as intended. Let's see that subscription price. And if you can't play your Steam games then it'll flop.

they dont need to support steam playstation or xbox

they can run their own business an work with google play

all they gotta do is get 3rd party multiplat support and gamers and they got gamers i want this tech so im sure the multiplats will come

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@ProtossX: I kind of agree with him though. If you can't stream your steam games too it then for a lot of pc players this is just another box amongst many. Now If I can do that like I can any other small form factor pc meant for streaming then it will be the go too for most people when looking for that kind of device.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It's Android right?

Isn't the answer self explanatory?

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

@ProtossX said:

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

they dont need to support steam playstation or xbox

they can run their own business an work with google play

all they gotta do is get 3rd party multiplat support and gamers and they got gamers i want this tech so im sure the multiplats will come

A lot of people with weak PCs own Steam accounts with a bunch of games.

The Grid streams PC games, if you can't stream your Steam library then it's a fail, you already own the games, no need to pay for another copy if the platform is the same. You obviously would still need to pay the subscription because the streaming costs power and thus money.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

So now Cloud is ok ?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@spitfire-six: In this format ya I have no problems with it. No other company has shown 1080p pc maxed gaming streamed at 60fps with such minimal lag.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ProtossX

@ribstaylor1 said:

@spitfire-six: In this format ya I have no problems with it. No other company has shown 1080p pc maxed gaming streamed at 60fps with such minimal lag.

yah but sony can still say its the most powerful console of all time they kinda went cheap on te console if ur internet is down or something u cant ply games offline

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@spitfire-six said:

So now Cloud is ok ?

Up against current gen consoles, the cloud is fantastic.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Bottom line; This is the future rather if you like it now or not. The only problem right now is Steam/latency. Fighting games could be a disaster for streaming. Imagine the input lag and what kind of bandwith would be needed at tournaments.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

funny that Nvidia passed on providing GPU's to the current gen consoles to then come and try to make this stuff that will for sure be a failure right out of the gate.

And TC, from where did you get the console will have a GTX 980? Based on the official info the GPU will be about twice as powerful than the X360's and nowhere near the next-gen consoles. It's more or less another Wii U or maybe slightly weaker. And not to mention that its CPU is complete shit. It's literally a smartphone CPU.

http://shield.nvidia.com/console#

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/nvidia-announces-the-shield-console

From my point of view this is nothing more than a way overpriced 4k chromecast or VitaTV.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@intotheminx said:

Bottom line; This is the future rather if you like it now or not. The only problem right now is Steam/latency. Fighting games could be a disaster for streaming. Imagine the input lag and what kind of bandwith would be needed at tournaments.

yeah as long as we don't have higher speed internet this is really not that interesting.

I can only imagine what a ddos attack will do to this service. As of now microsoft is using their cloud servers to cope with ddos attacks.

It can sell though, especially at that price point.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Nope. Android gaming is a joke.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

Onlive.

I'll see myself out.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Stop making threads

cesarpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cesarpo
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts

Technology and mostly infrastructure aren't there yet.

In a couple of decades, maybe. But by that time we'll be playing VR games on quantum computers :D

GabensHerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GabensHerald
Member since 2015 • 171 Posts

They made a console when they could have been even more dominant in the PC space. They goofed.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

lolno

Every Year or so for the past five years someone has tried to bring game streaming into the mainstream. It's not the tech in the boxes that needed to improve, its the entire network structure (along with ISP policies) that needs an upgrade to make it truly viable. If NVidia is smart even they aren't hoping for much in the next five years. Instead, these niche "platforms" are only their to slowly build partnerships and brand awareness so that when the infrastructure is in place they'll have a leg up on the competition.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

isnt nividia shield like a handheld?

then no

Oh they made a console too, but it plays PC games yeah um got a PC for that anyway + it prob. only has 3.5G of VRAM