Does "I Am Alive" deserve second chance from a hater?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I absolutely hated its guts when I played the demo. Of course I wanted to love it because I've been anticipating this game since 2008 and I really liked the oeuvre of the initial developer, Darkworks. However, the game itself revealed to be horribly scripted, full of bugs and glitches and force yourself to do things in EXACT WAY THE GAME WANTED to an extent when if you did something different, the game would just simply GO BONKERS and DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. Of course I played the demo. But since that big epiphany of mine, that realization that the spell had broken and had revealed itself to be a con, smoke and mirrors, and nothing more, I decided to hate it forever with a passion. But maybe I am wrong? It has been on sale around Christmas for 5 bucks and it happens to be on sale right now for as much as well. I didn't care now, and not that I DO now, but I just wondered what if there is something redeeming about it all. But then again, this game probably lasts 5 hours tops and I'd rather buy Condemned: Criminal Origins or Viva Pinata for this price and knew I'd have infinitesimally more fun.

Anyway, what's your take on this?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Viva Pinata over I am Alive is and was and will forever be a superior purchase.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I hated the art style, how it looks so blurry and fuzzy (I know they were going for a foggy effect, but it's ugly mang). For that reason I stopped playing the game.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Didn't like the climbing stamina meter. Had a lot of potential, but I think they made some stylistic mistakes

gamespot4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gamespot4life
Member since 2007 • 1301 Posts

I thought the game was solid for the asking price. I have to admit the climbing stamina was a pain to deal with at times. I wish it was alittle longer

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

I thought it was a good game. Flawed and has a crap, unfinished ending but good. They really try to push the "survival" part of the game but it grows infuriating when you're low on supplies and need to start tapping into your health to advance climbing (especially parts where you're climbing, get stranded, and have to start over because you just wasted and inhaler or soup... ugh).

But the interaction with enemies forcing you to intimidate instead of go guns blazing due to the limited amount of ammunition was inspired in my opinion.

Overall, I'd give it a 7.5/10, 8/10 on a good day. Again, it's flawed but good. A game I wish they would make another one of because it has great potential that wasn't executed to its fullest.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

It's an above average game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

i always talk myself out of buying it every time i see it on sale

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Play good games. Life's too short to force yourself to like something.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

It looks a lot like The Last of Us (although I Am Alive came before it)... How does its gameplay compare to it?

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I absolutely hated its guts when I played the demo. Of course I wanted to love it because I've been anticipating this game since 2008 and I really liked the oeuvre of the initial developer, Darkworks. However, the game itself revealed to be horribly scripted, full of bugs and glitches and force yourself to do things in EXACT WAY THE GAME WANTED to an extent when if you did something different, the game would just simply GO BONKERS and DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. Of course I played the demo. But since that big epiphany of mine, that realization that the spell had broken and had revealed itself to be a con, smoke and mirrors, and nothing more, I decided to hate it forever with a passion. But maybe I am wrong? It has been on sale around Christmas for 5 bucks and it happens to be on sale right now for as much as well. I didn't care now, and not that I DO now, but I just wondered what if there is something redeeming about it all. But then again, this game probably lasts 5 hours tops and I'd rather buy Condemned: Criminal Origins or Viva Pinata for this price and knew I'd have infinitesimally more fun.

Anyway, what's your take on this?

to be honest I didint run into any bugs and glitches. I will admit the game isint that pretty and I get what it was going for in terms of looks but still graphiclly its just ok. The only giant grip I had with the game was the ending.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

the game is pretty bad.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#14 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I enjoyed the demo. I'll buy it sometime. Don't force yourself to like something.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

i actually enjoyed it. i just hated that climbing stamina meter.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

It was too ambitious for its own good.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

Game is awful.

Another example of Ubisoft hyping people up with an initial CGI trailer.