Does Guild Wars 2 make ESO look like a terrible prospect?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by uninspiredcup (7561 posts) 6 months, 4 days ago

Poll: Does Guild Wars 2 make ESO look like a terrible prospect? (39 votes)

Yes 64%
No 36%

Guild Wars 2

- Actual role playing (your character creation works into the story) (branching paths)

- No fee outside of initial purchase

- Stunning art direction

- Completely soloable

- Dynamic class and combat system, incredibly robust

- Continued mini expansion pack sized, fully voiced story driven content

- Temporarily jump between worlds (servers) for free

- It's really quite good, really.

Elder Scrolls Online

- Locked class/race

- $80

- Locked mount

- Subscription fee

- Micro transaction shop

- Uninteresting art direction

- Grind, lots of it

- Fetch quests, lots of it

- Console users can't play with each other (separated platforms)

- Other bad stuff

It seems when you have Guild Wars 2 (which killed Old Republic) Elder Scrolls Online just seems like a big black mark on a beautiful white wall painting by a man working for council.

#51 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38206 posts) -

Eh, GW2 never caught on with me. I don't think any MMO will actually. But ESO doesn't sound very promising from all the stuff I hear

#52 Posted by Ballroompirate (22230 posts) -

GW2 is meh at best, I seriously have no idea how Kevin gave it a 9.

#53 Edited by silversix_ (13891 posts) -

because its a theme park mmo. fun for short time (2 months tops) and almost unplayable for 1y+. Kevin and pretty much every other reviewer played it for less than 2 months, had fun with it and to this day have very positive mindset when it comes to this game. For those who've actually 'played it' like an mmo is played are far from thinking like those people who've played it casually and moved to another game to review or play. GW1 was rated much lower, was less successful (at money making that is) and is waaaaaaaay better perceived by the their fanbase. Actually the only people who've hate the original gw1 were the wow nerds cuz if its not wow, its bad.

#54 Posted by Ballroompirate (22230 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

because its a theme park mmo. fun for short time (2 months tops) and almost unplayable for 1y+. Kevin and pretty much every other reviewer played it for less than 2 months, had fun with it and to this day have very positive mindset when it comes to this game. For those who've actually 'played it' like an mmo is played are far from thinking like those people who've played it casually and moved to another game to review or play. GW1 was rated much lower, was less successful (at money making that is) and is waaaaaaaay better perceived by the their fanbase. Actually the only people who've hate the original gw1 were the wow nerds cuz if its not wow, its bad.

He played a necro which was a pretty buggy class the first few months of GW2.

#55 Posted by silversix_ (13891 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@Ballroompirate said:

He played a necro which was a pretty buggy class the first few months of GW2.

yeah i know. the worst part is that the large majority of class bugs aren't even fixed after a year n a half. that's how competent these devs are.

#56 Posted by Magescrew (521 posts) -

@MBirdy88:

Zenimax Online Studios, Bethesda, whatever. The two have worked with each other long enough that they might as well be the same thing. Plus, that doesn't refute any of the other points made in that article.

#57 Posted by Merex760 (4283 posts) -

Guild Wars 2 is a garbage game. All of their updates are "events" that are nothing but temporary content. You get what you pay for, and it's generally crap when all of your updates are funded by a cash shop.

#58 Edited by Icarian (1469 posts) -

ESO looks like complete ass and from what I've heard has nothing new or substantial to the MMO genre except the name and the first person mode.

Even first person mode is nothing new.

#59 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -

Guild Wars 2 is amazing, I wouldn't have spent over the 1000s of hours in it, if it wasn't. ESO, to me, looks like shit. As for MMOs goes, I waiting for Wildstar, before getting into another MMO.

#60 Edited by Jag85 (4324 posts) -
@Wasdie said:

@MBirdy88 said:

... is guild wars the only mmo people have played here? "Great combat" ... it has nothing to it... 5 moves with no rotation, just fire them off when they are on cooldown.... and a bunch of support moves that feel "meh".... hoenstly. the only way I can picture this is:

Peopel who play GW2 are so casual they don't care to do anything clever in combat... they just like flashy DPS and roll crap with no roles... no nothing. its crap... it maybe smooth animation wise... but its absolutly some of the most mindless combat I have ever played in an MMO.

Exactly this. Elder Scrolls Online looks pretty much the same.

I have some hopes for Wildstar but it could easily fall to the same trap. Everquest Next could be good too but I fear it will follow GW2 when it comes to combat.

I play WoW but that's based on traditional RPG style combat, so it's quite dull. I have yet to play an MMO with "action" based combat that has been any good. I hear great things about Tera though.

From the MMO's I've played, I've found the action-oriented combat systems of TERA and Vindictus to be the most enjoyable (though there's nothing wrong if some might prefer the more traditional old-school combat systems of WOW and other MMO's).

#61 Posted by foxhound_fox (87334 posts) -

I thought people didn't like GW2 either?

ESO is going to be crap and be F2P before the end of the year.

#62 Edited by uninspiredcup (7561 posts) -

But it does have end game content. The top tier weapons can takes weeks, if not months to get. It's also getting continued, free content almost on a monthly basis. Right now, at this very moment it has an even going on.

Superior title

In World Of Warcraft you get practically 0 content. It's shite my friends, pure shite. GW2 ftw.

#63 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -

Damn it, I really need to get back into Guild Wars 2. I miss my Mesmer. Such a godly class.

#64 Edited by silversix_ (13891 posts) -

@Merex760 said:

Guild Wars 2 is a garbage game. All of their updates are "events" that are nothing but temporary content. You get what you pay for, and it's generally crap when all of your updates are funded by a cash shop.

Pretty much and its sad because if anet took the traditional expansion pack every year with some unimportant new stuff in gem store (like armor skins) this game could've been sick. Instead they have been rehashing the same zerg fest with recycled enemies for what, 11-12 months? Such GG=.-

#65 Posted by silversix_ (13891 posts) -

Damn it, I really need to get back into Guild Wars 2. I miss my Mesmer. Such a godly class.

its the reason why i still play. mesmer with gw2's combat even in a game full of chore its still fun. Without mesmers i'd be long gone.

#66 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -

@ArisShadows said:

its the reason why i still play. mesmer with gw2's combat even in a game full of chore its still fun. Without mesmers i'd be long gone.

So much utility. Best in dungeons, top in PvP (or at least at the time it was, just so fun to play overall.

#67 Edited by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

@Magescrew said:

As far as MMOs go GW2 and SWTOR both offer more as F2P games than ESO offers as a subscription game, which is pretty sad. People should just stick to Skyrim.

Not true. I've played all 3 considerably.

TESO shits all over SWTOR(which somehow makes major profit) and is even with GW2.

I can't think of 1 thing SWTOR does better than TESO. Not even voice acting or story.

#68 Edited by Magescrew (521 posts) -
@Jankarcop said:

@Magescrew said:

As far as MMOs go GW2 and SWTOR both offer more as F2P games than ESO offers as a subscription game, which is pretty sad. People should just stick to Skyrim.

TESO shits all over SWTOR(which somehow makes major profit) and is even with GW2.

I can't think of 1 thing SWTOR does better than TESO. Not even voice acting or story.

Equal to GW2 doesn't mean much to me. I got caught up in the GW2 hype and bought it day one but it bored me to tears. Don't get me wrong, I loved the graphics and the combat was nice. The world and story just didn't draw me in though, everything felt generic to me from a lore standpoint. I haven't played it in a while though so maybe I'll try it again.

SWTOR makes a major profit because it's Star Wars, Bioware, and is the only MMO that plays like a single player RPG if you want it to. There's a large enough market for that for it to be successful. I myself love Bioware but haven't played SWTOR too much (despite being a "Founder") because of the lame F2P system (which I admit isn't so bad nowadays as long as you spend a couple bucks on unlocks).

#69 Posted by MBirdy88 (7367 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@Magescrew said:

Equal to GW2 doesn't mean much to me. I got caught up in the GW2 hype and bought it day one but it bored me to tears. Don't get me wrong, I loved the graphics and the combat was nice. The world and story just didn't draw me in though, everything felt generic to me from a lore standpoint. I haven't played it in a while though so maybe I'll try it again.

SWTOR makes a major profit because it's Star Wars, Bioware, and is the only MMO that plays like a single player RPG if you want it to. There's a large enough market for that for it to be successful. I myself love Bioware but haven't played SWTOR too much (despite being a "Founder") because of the lame F2P system (which I admit isn't so bad nowadays as long as you spend a couple bucks on unlocks).

Do you like the world of the elder scrolls game? if so you may like TESO.

the RvRvR of ESO is also already considered far better than GW2s. and it actually has class roles, proper dungeons ect too.

also Uninspired CUP... you brag about free server transfers.... but ESO works on one server... no need to transfer... do you even know the game you are comparing?

#70 Edited by sSubZerOo (43003 posts) -

I can't speak for ESO but Guild Wars 2 was a incredibly mediocre game when I played it.. The only thing that was impressive were the graphics, public quests were kinda cool too, but warhammer online did that.. The story was pretty much meh with weak narrative to the point I really didn't care about it.. There is a reason why Guild Wars 2 dropped off the face of twitch viewer wise after the first few months.

#71 Edited by uninspiredcup (7561 posts) -

Looks like Guild Wars 2 has triumphed overwhelmingly. Truly exceptional.

Well done NCSoft, it's now official, you are indeed the best.

#72 Edited by texasgoldrush (9117 posts) -

@Magescrew said:

Wrong

SWTOR has by far the best storytelling in the MMO market, outside o The Secret World, and as for VA work, TOR brings out an all star team.

And the Imperial Agent storyline is incredible.

#73 Posted by Ballroompirate (22230 posts) -

Just DLed Swtor to give it a 5th try, I don't even know why I wasted space on my hard drive. The game was actually pretty decent when it wasn't "F2P" but now it's just pay to win which seriously annoys the hell out of me.

#74 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@Magescrew said:

Wrong

SWTOR has by far the best storytelling in the MMO market, outside o The Secret World, and as for VA work, TOR brings out an all star team.

Not wrong. SWTOR story telling is garbage, the cutscenes are a mess. Only the Agent story is good.

#75 Edited by texasgoldrush (9117 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Jankarcop said:

@Magescrew said:

Wrong

Not wrong. SWTOR story telling is garbage, the cutscenes are a mess. Only the Agent story is good.

All eight class stories are overall good, but some are better than others. I have only played the IA and the JC but watched all others.

The Imperial Agent is one of Bioware's best stories and it feels like an Obsidian storyline. The Jedi Consular is a very well written storyline with probably the game's best cast but has some pacing issues in the first act. The Sith Inquisitor has a great plot as well but the cast isn't that great other than Ashara Zarvos and Zash. The Smuggler overcomes its average plot with a very funny character (especially the Kath Soucie voiced female) and a good cast. The Bounty Hunter is okay, but also a pretty good cast. The Trooper has some of the toughest and most morally grey choices in the game, and really isn't a bad plotline and the Sith Warrior plot has its moments, its fun to manipulate everyone to your advantage.

The only lackluster story is the Drew Karpyshyn penned Jedi Knight story. It is basic, clichéd standard fare and despite Kira actually being a great character. Drew phoned in his work in TOR and left Bioware and it shows. Revan was treated poorly.

Other than that, I think SWTOR's story is much better than KOTOR. The first KOTOR is badly overrated.

#76 Posted by texasgoldrush (9117 posts) -

Just DLed Swtor to give it a 5th try, I don't even know why I wasted space on my hard drive. The game was actually pretty decent when it wasn't "F2P" but now it's just pay to win which seriously annoys the hell out of me.

The fine print when it went to f2p was that it was designed for those who want to play the class stories, it isn;t for those who want to play other players or raid. If you are paying to win as a non subscriber, you are doing it wrong.

#77 Edited by Motokid6 (5114 posts) -

ESO.. may very well flop, but for the future.. uninspiredcup.. stop playing metacritic and start playing games. I personally hate asian themed games with a passion so i stay away from GW. ESO... idk.. only time will tell. I WILL try it that much i will say.

#78 Edited by uninspiredcup (7561 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

ESO.. may very well flop, but for the future.. uninspiredcup.. stop playing metacritic and start playing games.

My friend, as someone with over 800 hours in Guild Wars 2 and 4 characters. What interesting is that I (your narrator) is someone who generally hates MMO's. Yet this game (90 metacritic) and it's groundbreaking design have brought us to the promised land. Not only did it dominate metacritic with an astounding "universal acclaim" it also apparently dominates this poll.

#79 Edited by Motokid6 (5114 posts) -

Oh my dear friend dude man child chum fellow... STOP playing metacrtic. And start playing games.

#80 Posted by Ondoval (3103 posts) -

I currently have almost 6 level 80 characters in GW2, more than 2700 hours played in the game, one legendary (Twilight), rank 33 in PvP, near rank 280 in WvW.

I like GW2 -despire I'm bored about his PvE- but I did play the last 2 betas in TESO and I will buy TESO. I think that TESO's PvE will not be very replayable after completing a zone, and also TESO combat is way worse than in GW2, BUT the RvR map is amazing and the art and graphics are fine (I think that the modeling and textures for characters are better in GW2 but the world and some shader effects are better in TESO.

Really, is not a competition in the sense that once you buy GW2 you can play/leave so many times you want with no cost, and in TESO you will be pay as long as you find fun in the game, so ther's no reason to big drama here.

#81 Posted by simonblahblah (9 posts) -

Well the only people voting on this will be GW2 players, so we reckon 1/3 of all GW2 players will leave straight away, and that's just on launch? Yikes lol.

I've been playing in betas for the past few months. I played wow for years too. Best way to sum it up is I cancelled all other subscriptions and don't intend to return to any of them, even if they are all F2P.

ESO is awesome

#82 Posted by Ballroompirate (22230 posts) -

After playing a few hours of ESO beta it was avg at best, it is however better than that crap GW2.