Does gaming still bring you joy?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Yes or i would not play games...

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

I cant stop playing Madden 15 Ultimate team. Im not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I find that there are a lot more games that I strongly dislike than there used to be. The rare game that I do like is usually just amazing, though. It makes slogging through all of the mindless crap worthwhile.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#55 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Yeah, getting old really changes how things are. I can't play for hours on end any more. I'm picky and tired of certain genres. I buy less and careless.

The only time I can do 2+ hour sessions is when I play with younger friends. Even then I'm squirming in my seat... lol.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

OP has finally admitted how empty his gaming life is without a PC...

Seriously, I can never get bored of gaming on my PC and enjoy every game more than the last and this with a lot of free time going towards gaming. It's easy to get burned out but if you manage your time well and lead a balanced life there's no excuse not to thoroughly enjoy every second of your gaming time regardless of age.

I do tend to get frustrated these days by difficult games that have you repeatedly tackling challenges (latest example being Dead Space 3 which was fun but really frustrating in certain sections.) I play on normal and like to go through a game without dying for immersion purposes.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Malta_1980 said:

I'm almost 34 and been gaming since i was 7yrs old back in the NES / Atari days... My gaming time has been reduced drastically due to various commitments however I still try to dedicate part of my free time to gaming !!

Currently planning on building a brand new Gaming PC to go along my PS4 & PSV...

I'm in the same boat. But the point of this isn't how much time you can put towards gaming. It's how good (or not if that's how one feels about it) the time is when you're playing. It's the experience when you're in the moment.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

It just occured to me.... I don't feel any emotion when playing games. Yes I am mentally stimulated and fully engaged but its not an emotion in the traditional sense... Its a state of mind.

So at the risk of sounding like a moron... You're probably enjoying games wrong... As opposed to to enjoy the wrong games. ;).

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep :o

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Not as much as it used to. I mean look at the commercials from then to now:

then:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Now:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I get much much more joy and excitement from the old games than I do from these new games. I mean those games were hype!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

If you base your game purchases on sony/microsoft hype.... if you actually think the scoring systems are accurate... and you buy accordingly... then no wonder you are bored.

The console scene is losing all its identity... when it lost Japans interest. now its a watered down PC with less games, less everything. even though its getting more indies ect... it still cannot replicate the experience.

Only nintendo still feels like a games console that I can pick up and play with friends.... outside of shitty cod games and fighters.

There are so many deep experiences, and due to mods how much deeper you can make your experience again, its a shame you INSIST in trolling PC Gamers.... while we argue as "elitist" what we say is the damn truth of the matter.... all your going to get on your PS4 is the same old s*it with one rare exception each year.... no custimisation, probably less content but better graphics.. and it will continue because of costs of developement.

So swallow your stupid pride and get on board... discover there is more to gaming than "plug and play" and move on.... any hobby that takes little effort is a joke of a hobby.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@AdobeArtist

I love the internet... It allows me to be more brazen... :p

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

i played pikmin 3 today. of course games still bring me joy. if pikmin cant bring joy to a player then there is no hope.

well joy and frustration. lost 40 pikmin in a day. repeated the day though and only lost 4 the second time round.

.....and sorrow. games can also bring great sorrow. 4 pikmin.....yea bad day :(.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#62 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Our generation that grew up with gaming are in adulthood now. We have other responsibilities now (I like to think so). Gamers now don't care about story, all their care about is the spectacle. Just look at COD and how shallow it is.

Yeah, also...

"Don't forget to buy our expensive DLC or else the game won't be as good!"

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Whats funny is the older I get the more RPG's I play. So far this fall the only thing I'm actually excited about is Dragon Age Inquisition and next year Witcher 3, Persona 5, Tales, the new YS and such. I just don't get very excited for other genres anymore. I still enjoy them, I will stick pick up Destiny, just picked up Metro Redux and will always get the next Nintendo game. But I find my new game excitement anymore only exists for RPG's. Other games are just, looks cool, i might buy that reactions.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#64 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I hear you TC. What I do is just want to be entertained. Now I can be entertained by watching a video of cats on YouTube so......

I just gave up expectations for the most part. I haven't bought new in a while and will buy destiny next week because I had a great time with friends on beta. But getting older steals enjoyment. Wait until you're in 40s and sex is good, but I would love to be 20 again!!!

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

No, not in the same boat as you....in fact we are not even in the same ocean.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

I am like you, and I'll tell you why. Quality has plummeted on games, there are very few actually good games these days. Devs of old had only so much technology to work with and thus the developers had to work with what they had so we got game mechanics that were well fleshed out that made for enjoyable experiences. Only the big studios can afford to put something together that is AAA quality and smaller studios don't really innovate. For example from Demon's souls through Dark Souls 2 the quality of gameplay dropped due to the developers trying to tweak the original concept in a more technologically advanced instead of a more gameplay advanced experience. Crysis 1 was an industry changer and Crysis 3 was a tech demo that I couldn't get through.

EA also has a monopoly on a ton of franchises and pump out poorly optimized remakes that have poor functionality (sometimes gamebreaking glitches). These gamebkreaing glitches are increasing in todays gaming industry, not decreasing.

MMO's have been at a standpoint of mediocrity for half a decade, there are little to no innovations. Archeage is the most highly refined WoW that ever existed, even with open worlds and player house crafting it's a themepark with restrictions and no innovations. Lineage 2 manages to be one of the most popular mmo's, telling you exactly how much that entire aspect of the industry sucks.

I'm telling you, it's not that your tastes are changing, it's that games are getting worse. Path of Exile is less fun than Diablo 2. Divinity Original Sin has a ridiculously bad first town with awful quest tracking and Baldur's Gate 2 is a more worthwhile experience. Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen aren't ready. Lichdom: Battlemage is a repetitive chore to get through. Unless Dragon Age knocks it out of the park there may not be a single actually good game this year, by good I mean enjoyable throughout the entire experience with no glitches, deep but well presented gameplay, easily accessible (and easy to read) menus and good optimization. You don't get that very often and it's how games used to be.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

in these past few months video games have been my only friend. Can't complain about them.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Games are fine I think. The industry is shit though.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#69 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:

26 and gaming still brings me joy. Heck I look forward to coming home after a hard day of work and sitting down and playing for a little.

Same here. I'm 26 as well, and I still enjoy gaming. True, I have a **** ton of more responsibilities, but part of being an adult is finding the proper balance between everything. It's also true that mainstream gaming has changed over the years, but you shouldn't only limit yourself to the AAA titles. There are a plethora of good games out there, try something new.

I myself have been thoroughly enjoying Dota 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Killing Floor, and Nosgoth lately for the most part. Can't wait to play Shadow of Mordor, Dead Rising 3, and Wasteland 2 this month.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Not as much as it used to, naturally. I miss getting enthralled in the game world. The last game I remember that really got to me, was FFIX.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

yes but current gen is slacking in that department

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#72 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@nini200: So true, those new trailers looked boring as hell. It's like they were advertising a movie rather than a game.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@rabakill said:

I am like you, and I'll tell you why. Quality has plummeted on games, there are very few actually good games these days. Devs of old had only so much technology to work with and thus the developers had to work with what they had so we got game mechanics that were well fleshed out that made for enjoyable experiences. Only the big studios can afford to put something together that is AAA quality and smaller studios don't really innovate. For example from Demon's souls through Dark Souls 2 the quality of gameplay dropped due to the developers trying to tweak the original concept in a more technologically advanced instead of a more gameplay advanced experience. Crysis 1 was an industry changer and Crysis 3 was a tech demo that I couldn't get through.

EA also has a monopoly on a ton of franchises and pump out poorly optimized remakes that have poor functionality (sometimes gamebreaking glitches). These gamebkreaing glitches are increasing in todays gaming industry, not decreasing.

MMO's have been at a standpoint of mediocrity for half a decade, there are little to no innovations. Archeage is the most highly refined WoW that ever existed, even with open worlds and player house crafting it's a themepark with restrictions and no innovations. Lineage 2 manages to be one of the most popular mmo's, telling you exactly how much that entire aspect of the industry sucks.

I'm telling you, it's not that your tastes are changing, it's that games are getting worse. Path of Exile is less fun than Diablo 2. Divinity Original Sin has a ridiculously bad first town with awful quest tracking and Baldur's Gate 2 is a more worthwhile experience. Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen aren't ready. Lichdom: Battlemage is a repetitive chore to get through. Unless Dragon Age knocks it out of the park there may not be a single actually good game this year, by good I mean enjoyable throughout the entire experience with no glitches, deep but well presented gameplay, easily accessible (and easy to read) menus and good optimization. You don't get that very often and it's how games used to be.

I dont see how. Its still like the old days. Your not going to like everything. I can safely say back in my kid-teen days there were games I would call crap or just meh. The only thing iv seen really change and seen companies really botch up is how they handle DLC. Some do it right while others do just an awful job.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@cfisher2833 said:

No. Don't blame us because you don't listen to our advice on games. There's plenty of amazing games out there, and get a fucking PC already.

Hah he's too young to appreciate a PC.

pc is so meh

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#75  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The prospect of exploring the Persistent Universe in Star Citizen is the first joyous thing I've felt about gaming in years.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

To be honest if i wasn't a PC gamer this generation would have driven me insane.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#77 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

Yeah, it still brings me joy.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#78  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Hell yeah it does, i especially appreciate the extraordinary games

Dragerdeifrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#79 Dragerdeifrit
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

rarely. out of last gen, Skyrim, Dark Souls., MGS4, Fallout 3/nv , and the Tales of games, aside from those, everything seems mediocre, dull. and dumbed down.

1fragleft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 1fragleft
Member since 2014 • 53 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Our generation that grew up with gaming are in adulthood now. We have other responsibilities now (I like to think so). Gamers now don't care about story, all their care about is the spectacle. Just look at COD and how shallow it is.

So people who played Quake 2, Duke 3D and Unreal bitd cared about the story?

I say those games because if you were a kid 10 years ago then CoD was already one of the most popular sp shooters.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Absolutely! That's why I still play games... They make me happy. But I probably appreciated a game more when I was younger because I had less money, so I enjoyed it a lot more.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@lawlessx said:

To be honest if i wasn't a PC gamer this generation would have driven me insane.

i'd agree with this but it feels like 'this generation' isn't even out yet and is coming out in 2015. Never seen a year as empty for the new sexy gen as the one we're currently in. People say that ps3 first year was rough but that's not very true because you had multiplats to keep you busy. In 2014 we don't even get multiplats until the end of the year WTF?!?!?!

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 PS4hasNOgames

@Dragerdeifrit said:

rarely. out of last gen, Skyrim, Dark Souls., MGS4, Fallout 3/nv , and the Tales of games, aside from those, everything seems mediocre, dull. and dumbed down.

great list, I myself couldn't get much into skyrim even though I agree it was a good game just not for me.....but fallout, mgs4, gears of war, rdr, alan wake were probably my most memorable games of last gen. gta 5 was a total let down.

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

Thank goodness for Nintendo. If it was just MS and Sony, gaming would be dead.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Sonicplys

No, Gaming would be more of a fad but it won't die.

Nintendo is not keeping this industry alive... Its just keeping it from being complete trash.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Landing that 90 damage open space devil jin combo brings me joy

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

i can imagine this being the case for console games. Switch to strategic pc games..Like hearthstone ,dota 2 or cs go. Hell i've been enjoying titanfall again lately.. The games i mentioned here suck up all my time.Every other month or so i try to squeeze in a single player experience. If you keep playing $60 a pop 6-7 hrs console games it will suck.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@lunar1122 said:

i can imagine this being the case for console games. Switch to strategic pc games..Like hearthstone ,dota 2 or cs go. Hell i've been enjoying titanfall again lately.. The games i mentioned here suck up all my time.Every other month or so i try to squeeze in a single player experience. If you keep playing $60 a pop 6-7 hrs console games it will suck.

I have consoles and play a selection of very well designed games over the endless stream of qte-packed simple 'interactive entertainment' that gets pushed into your face every day on gaming "journalism" sites. So no, it's not a PC vs console issue.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

When I was younger gaming gave me the most amount of joy but the older I get my other hobbies seem to be more and more prominent... Photography and listening to music are far more enjoyable than gaming right now in my life. I just feel that right now gaming is in dire need of something new, I hope VR is that thing that brings me back in. I play a moderate 3-5 hours a week... some weeks less and my care for upcoming games has hit a all time low.

I don't know why this is and most sadly and importantly I don't care enough to ask why.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#90 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I enjoy games now as I did when I was a kid growing up in the 80's I still get that feeling before a game is about to be released.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Sure. I just tend to play quite a bit less, what with other responsibilities. If I stopped enjoying video games, I'd stop buying them.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@sukraj said:

I enjoy games now as I did when I was a kid growing up in the 80's I still get that feeling before a game is about to be released.

Same here. I can go weeks, even months, without playing...but something like, say, Evil Within, I can't wait.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#93 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Not as much as before that's for sure. I feel like most games feel a lot more like a job than being fun.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate grinding and doing the same thing over and over and over again to get something. That's why I can't get into most online multiplayer and that's a grip I have with most jrpg. A lot of games are all flash, but no subtances. Some of the best games I played have crappy graphics, while some of the most boring ones had state of the art visuals. I also hate fetch quests or kill x amount of ennemies missions, that's just plain lazy and not fun at all. Like gta iv or red dead redemption; most missions were you killing people and that's it, not very fun in my opinion.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 PS4hasNOgames

@da_illest101 said:

Not as much as before that's for sure. I feel like most games feel a lot more like a job than being fun.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate grinding and doing the same thing over and over and over again to get something. That's why I can't get into most online multiplayer and that's a grip I have with most jrpg. A lot of games are all flash, but no subtances. Some of the best games I played have crappy graphics, while some of the most boring ones had state of the art visuals. I also hate fetch quests or kill x amount of ennemies missions, that's just plain lazy and not fun at all. Like gta iv or red dead redemption; most missions were you killing people and that's it, not very fun in my opinion.

so what games do you enjoy? specifically

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#95  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yes, it still does but very few games keep me engaged for a long time . The reason is , dumbed down games . Such games get old , boring and repetitive very fast , and there is nothing new to explore or see further into the game .

I see games like Dragon Age : Origins and Witcher as big achievements of last gen (same goes for Deus Ex as well) . Both games proved that you can make AAA old school games in today's era without dumbing them down much . Both games made lot of RPG fans happy and also brought new comers as well . Dragon Age 2 on other hand was a big example of everything wrong with the game industry these days .

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#96 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

People who can't find joy in gaming are either playing the wrong games, or just need to stop lighten up and stop taking things so seriously. By the latter I mean over-analyzing every little detail and comparing it to real life.

this 110%

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

A little.

I had a raging boner for video games that started in 86 and finally subsided about mid way through last gen. Can't even blame it all on responsibilities. I just stopped giving a ****. It's very rare that I find a game that pulls me in. On one hand I just have other interests that I find more important/entertaining. On the other, I think in a lot of ways the industry is heading in a direction I'm not too fond of. Not saying that most gaming sucks now, just that a lot of it has lost its appeal to me. Doesn't help that most of my favorite franchises I grew up with have either gone to shit, stagnated or disappeared.

Also, it's depressing to see what's become of the "AAA" market. Was about to go into rant mode, but I'll cut myself off here.

Yeah there is still joy in it for me, but not even a shadow of what it used to be.

anderswhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 anderswhk
Member since 2014 • 129 Posts

Not in the same way. I know that also has something to do with getting older and getting into long term relationships, but the games these day just doesn't get me excited.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

To be honest, ever since I stopped smoking the weed, a bit over a year ago, my passion for gaming has dropped precipitously. I just don't have the same tunnel-vision I used to.

I remember 12 hour Civ marathons and now I can barely muster an hour or two straight.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#100 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Yeah, it still brings me joy.

me too