Does Cloud in Smash Bros even make sense?

• 199 results
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#51 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I like Cloud, I think it's pretty confusing that he made the cut for Smash and not Playstation All-Stars though lol. I can't wait to see who gets announced in December, assuming new characters do.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#52  Edited By trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if Goku gets announced as a character in December

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Apparantly Goku is an iconic video game character like Cloud is.

I thought he was mostly known as a manga/anime icon that so happened to have games but I guess I'm mistaken.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#54 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@texasgoldrush said:

@FireEmblem_Man: and that is SquareEnix's problem.

They are no longer the company that makes classics, they sell out instead.

Every damn company in this game industry is a sellout

No they aren't...for example...CD Projeckt RED

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

So one of the biggest characters in gaming history isnt reason enough for him enter Smash. Is he tied to any competition like Sonys Nathan Drake, MS master Chief? No he's third party so whats the problem.

Activision please allow Crash Bandicoot to be entered i to smash as its sonys only mascot worth a grain of salt lol.

And why the hell would he be in PS all stars when the line up was crap? Cloud deserves better treatment and deserve to be treated like royalty rather than like a pauper which Psmash all stars was.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

What I think doesn't make sense is how people say it opens up possibilities for extreme left field characters. FF has been a part of Nintendo, and even if the main series doesn't come to Ninty systems any more (at least as of now), they certainly did at one point in the SNES days. In the end if any FF character was going to enter Smash, it was undoubtedly going to be Cloud.

I know that a popularity contest isn't really the point of Smash since it has some really unpopular choices, but it just makes sense. Of course some would say that Cloud wasn't on Nintendo consoles in any major way which would be pretty accurate, but he was the most popular choice that represents the series overall. If you stop looking at him as being the main character in FF7 but as a FF character in general, you might be able to see that he is not as left field as you think. Maybe more so than Snake since he was a main character in games on Ninty systems, but he is still within the realm of plausibility at least when comparing to "Nintendo history" imo.

You couldn't say the same for Master Chief. The guy has not even seen a GC, Wii, WiiU, or any other Ninty system. I'm not saying he has no chance in being added as anything can happen, but Cloud (who is furthest left field so far imo) against the extreme choices aren't nearly comparable imo.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dobzilian

@AznbkdX: i think its more of a case of people sulking, I'd honestly understand if it was crash bandicoot as he is still one of the few mascots Sony has but is owned by Activision now.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 texasgoldrush

@AznbkdX said:

What I think doesn't make sense is how people say it opens up possibilities for extreme left field characters. FF has been a part of Nintendo, and even if the main series doesn't come to Ninty systems any more (at least as of now), they certainly did at one point in the SNES days. In the end if any FF character was going to enter Smash, it was undoubtedly going to be Cloud.

I know that a popularity contest isn't really the point of Smash since it has some really unpopular choices, but it just makes sense. Of course some would say that Cloud wasn't on Nintendo consoles in any major way which would be pretty accurate, but he was the most popular choice that represents the series overall. If you stop looking at him as being the main character in FF7 but as a FF character in general, you might be able to see that he is not as left field as you think. Maybe more so than Snake since he was a main character in games on Ninty systems, but he is still within the realm of plausibility at least when comparing to "Nintendo history" imo.

You couldn't say the same for Master Chief. The guy has not even seen a GC, Wii, WiiU, or any other Ninty system. I'm not saying he has no chance in being added as anything can happen, but Cloud (who is furthest left field so far imo) against the extreme choices aren't nearly comparable imo.

But he doesn't fit the game....he doesn't fit Nintendo's history and in fact goes against it.

Mega Man makes sense because most of the games were on Nintendo. Pac Man makes sense because Namco worked on the game. Sonic makes sense because he has a game with Mario before. Ryu was a stretch. But Cloud? No way

They should have picked a game neutral character like Mog or Chocobo to fit the series.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

Cloud is gonna be in Smash? LAAAAAMEEE. Wish they would keep their silly FF characters to themselves and give us something cool instead.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 dobzilian

@texasgoldrush: Does he not suite the history of video games though? If there was a hall of fame of characters which smash pretty much is with Pacman, Sonic, Ryu, Mario etc. Would you not want a character which epitomised the genre so well?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 texasgoldrush

@dobzilian said:

@texasgoldrush: Does he not suite the history of video games though? If there was a hall of fame of characters which smash pretty much is with Pacman, Sonic, Ryu, Mario etc. Would you not want a character which epitomised the genre so well?

Not if he doesn't fit the game. the game should be about Nintendo history, not gaming history.

How about Doom Marine? Lets put him in Smash as well.......

Why not get deserving NINTENDO characters like Dixie Kong instead? Or return Ice Climbers?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

To me no it makes no sense to use characters like Ryu, Cloud or Snake when the main titles/games that those characters are in is not even on a Nintendo console...& Smash Bros is like one of the main titles in Nintendo console. What next Nathan Drake or Kratos...or Master Chief or Marcus Fenix?. Is Nintendo trying to fake represent that they have those games with those characters in it?... Shit deal by Nintendo imo. :P

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By texasgoldrush

@superbuuman said:

To me no it makes no sense to use characters like Ryu, Cloud or Snake when the main titles/games that those characters are in is not even on a Nintendo console...& Smash Bros is like one of the main titles in Nintendo console. What next Nathan Drake or Kratos...or Master Chief or Marcus Phoenix?. Shit deal by Nintendo imo. :P

Snake was in Twin Snakes for Gamecube, so he was.....but he really never fit the game.

Simon Belmont is a character that is feasible to be put in.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@texasgoldrush said:

@FireEmblem_Man: and that is SquareEnix's problem.

They are no longer the company that makes classics, they sell out instead.

Every damn company in this game industry is a sellout

not activision...or blizzard...or...

yea, were fucked.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By dobzilian

@texasgoldrush: Who would want him though? Is he interesting as Cloud and a icon of a genre. Its not something owned by a rival company.

If want to put irrational things why not say Crash Bandicoot as in theory he could as Naughty Dog dont own him and he has appeared on the a Nintendo Handheld. He's a character from a popular game which has made cameo appearances in other games, had prequels and gamers love and want to see more of ....

I'd love to see Bayonetta as but suppose as Bayonetta 1 was on PS3, X360 then she cant qualify.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#66 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

What if he was a fun character to play as, and added to the roster (though at this point we have so many characters using a sword) for reasons like he'll be fun to use. No he doesn't fit the "tribute" vibe, but you know he's a guest character, as long as he's fun and doesn't break the game, he should be more than fine.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 texasgoldrush

@dobzilian said:

@texasgoldrush: Who would want him though? Is he interesting as Cloud and a icon of a genre. If want to put irrational things why not say Crash Bandicoot as in theory he could as Naughty Dog dont own him and he has appeared on the a Nintendo Handheld. He's a character from a popular game which has made cameo appearances in other games, had prequels and gamers love and want to see more of ....

I'd love to see Bayonetta as but suppose as Bayonetta 1 was on PS3, X360 then she cant qualify.

I mentioned Doom Marine because he is also a symbol of a genre, but doesn't fit the game. Why not let him in as well?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@texasgoldrush: Cause Sakurai stated he wants them fanboy tears. He has a problem and we cant stop him. Please understand.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

@walloftruth said:
@lostrib said:
@Mercenary848 said:

@darkspineslayer: Obviously the TC was just making an observation, I guess threads potentially leading to opinions that you might not like are grounds for you to lock them lol. SW is about differing opinions on games, complaints are often the basis for the discussion.

That being said, I think this was just ninty dropping a bomb. I know im getting a cloud amibo.

lmao

hahahahahhaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@walloftruth said:
@Litchie said:

Cloud is gonna be in Smash? LAAAAAMEEE. Wish they would keep their silly FF characters to themselves and give us something cool instead.

Ah okay let me get this straight....

This is totally lame, silly and not cool:

And these characters are totally cool, not silly at all and also not lame at all, right?

Oooooooooookaaaay then...

Umm, every single one of them characters is 100 times cooler. Even Wii Fit trainer.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#73 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

The fact that Cloud is going to be in Smash means he was requested and won the poll vote by a landslide. People asked for Cloud, and Nintendo responded. Yes, it makes sense within that context.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@ultimateimp: We didnt vote for Cloud, the winners of the ballet voting will be announced in December. Same with Ryu, we didnt vote for him either.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Seeing that FF started life on a Nintendo system and cloud is the most famous FF character then yeah it makes sense, same goes for snake

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#76 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

@mesome713: Well, Smash stopped being about Nintendo with Brawl. Snake, who's that? Or sonic even, the point is. Nintendo wants classic characters, Ryu and Cloud fit. I don't want this to be Nintendo only, if it was I wouldn't have bought Smash 4, Sonic is the only character I play. Putting Cloud could pull more interest, you see.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@ultimateimp: O i love third party characters, i bath in them fanboy tears and i enjoy beating the crap out of Sonic, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@trollhunter2 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Goku gets announced as a character in December

That would be pretty awesome.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

The moment you try to make "sense" out of a Smash Bros game is the moment you totally missed the point.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#80 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@dobzilian said:

@texasgoldrush: Who would want him though? Is he interesting as Cloud and a icon of a genre. Its not something owned by a rival company.

If want to put irrational things why not say Crash Bandicoot as in theory he could as Naughty Dog dont own him and he has appeared on the a Nintendo Handheld. He's a character from a popular game which has made cameo appearances in other games, had prequels and gamers love and want to see more of ....

Well, like Cloud, Bayonetta's history with Nintendo is downright terrible. All Nintendo did was publish one game and said game being a total bomb. She'd hardly resonate with Nintendo's audience. That, and an over the top violent and sexual character like her would just not work in a cartoony, family friendly fighting series like Smash (at least, not without an ESRB re-rating controversy, which San Andreas and Oblivion were hit with).

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

Relax, I'm sure the character isn't from the Ballot.

I'm really hoping that's the case, because i want another character...not because i don't like Cloud but because i like more characters and maybe even more meltdowns from the Internet :D

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

It really makes zero sense, seeing how ff7 never even made it to Nintendo platforms.

The only thing I can gather from this is that FF7 Remake will be on the NX in some capacity. It still makes zero sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@ReadingRainbow4: Its doesnt have to make sense, its makes dollars.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

You're asking if a fighting game (that is essentially about toys come to life to fight each other) makes any sense including yet another random character amongst it's already random roster?

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Cloud is popular

Smash is popular

People voted for Cloud

Cloud will appear in future anticipated games

Squareenix wants to bank on their popular characters

Nintendo wants more colaborations

What exactly doesnt make sense here?

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts

Final Fantasy has strong relations with Nintendo. All the games up to VI were developed for Nintendo consoles, so it's only natural that Final Fantasy gets a representative in Smash.

Now, should it be selected only from the games that were in Nintendo consoles? In my opinion, no. They might have chosen Cecil, but lets be honest, the grand majority of players would prefer Cloud to Cecil, so it makes sense to pick the most popular character from the Final Fantasy franchise.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 texasgoldrush

@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:

Final Fantasy has strong relations with Nintendo. All the games up to VI were developed for Nintendo consoles, so it's only natural that Final Fantasy gets a representative in Smash.

Now, should it be selected only from the games that were in Nintendo consoles? In my opinion, no. They might have chosen Cecil, but lets be honest, the grand majority of players would prefer Cloud to Cecil, so it makes sense to pick the most popular character from the Final Fantasy franchise.

How about a neutral game character, and have a stage that celebrates the series as a whole?

Mog or a Chocobo would fit the game more so than Cloud.

FFVII wasn't a Nintendo game, that's the problem.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 texasgoldrush

@mesome713 said:

And this is why SquareEnix has gone down the tube.

They are downright whoring Final Fantasy.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

NX. FF7 Remake.

First thing that came to my mind.

It's amazing how it would have come full circle if this indeed comes to pass, and FFVII winds up on a Nintendo console anyway. Albeit 20 years later.

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:

How about a neutral game character, and have a stage that celebrates the series as a whole?

Personally, I'd be pretty pissed if a Final Fantasy character ended up in the game and Cloud didn't. It would be a missed opportunity to get one of the most loved game characters in the game (thankfully they took it). Also they added a Chocobo Mii costume.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#91 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

This is my 2 cents on this one and how I feel about adding Cloud to SSB:

It's most likely just for marketing purposes honestly. They see how many people welcome his inclusion into the game to gauge whether it's worth making a Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo home console again. Like say for NX even. Square Enix already said Dragon Quest XI may appear on it and adding Cloud to smash could be a gateway for Final Fantasy series to be on Nintendo consoles again too. I don't know but that's the most obvious choice to me since I didn't expect Cloud to appear in SSB. Cloud being another character to play is just an added benefit.

It wouldn't surprised me if more non Nintendo characters appear. Perhaps this may actually be the final Smash game Sakurai makes so he's packing in as much as he can because there won't be a next time.

I don't know which sounds more plausible at this point but I'm just glad that the series may get the awareness it needs on Nintendo platforms so for the future, there's a chance of Square Enix supporting them, therefore leading other devs to see the potential and give Nintendo another chance leading to gamers giving them a chance also so I'm guessing Sakurai may explain the reasoning in the Smash direct next month we'll see.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 texasgoldrush

@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:

Personally, I'd be pretty pissed if a Final Fantasy character ended up in the game and Cloud didn't. It would be a missed opportunity to get one of the most loved game characters in the game (thankfully they took it). Also they added a Chocobo Mii costume.

Sorry, but there are plenty of characters I love and are loved that shouldn't make Smash Bros. It just doesn't fit. Cloud especially, because he is a Sony hit character, not a Nintendo one.

Someone like Commander Shepard would not fit smash either, even though I like her. She shouldn't be in it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@texasgoldrush said:
@mesome713 said:

And this is why SquareEnix has gone down the tube.

They are downright whoring Final Fantasy.

You got that right, Nintendo fans gonna be hitting that arse all night long. Here comes Kirby!

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#94  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

In my opinion, no. More characters are always better I guess.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 dobzilian

Other cross overs which make no sense... Zelda in Soul Caliber and that green dude from star wars.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#96  Edited By sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Solid Snake didn't make much sense either.

Nor Megaman or Sonic for that matter.

Uhhh... what?

Mega Man, gaming icon, NES/SNES/Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance/ N64/Gamecube....

Sonic... "Sega does what Nintendo'nt" The biggest rivalry ever in the history of gaming.

These 2 made a ton of sense, albeit, they are not Nintendo characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@sonic_spark said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Solid Snake didn't make much sense either.

Nor Megaman or Sonic for that matter.

Uhhh... what?

Mega Man, gaming icon, NES/SNES/Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance/ N64/Gamecube....

Sonic... "Sega does what Nintendo'nt" The biggest rivalry ever in the history of gaming.

These 2 made a ton of sense, albeit, they are not Nintendo characters.

Not to mention the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games series........ Or the Nintendo exclusives Sonic games.........

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 nintendoboy16

@Thunderdrone said:

Cloud is popular

Smash is popular

People voted for Cloud

Cloud will appear in future anticipated games

Squareenix wants to bank on their popular characters

Nintendo wants more colaborations

What exactly doesnt make sense here?

It doesn't make sense because they pick a character who's less associated with Nintendo than both Solid Snake and Ryu combined. I'd have the same criticisms with the oft-requested Bayonetta (which I do).

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 nintendoboy16

@dobzilian said:

Other cross overs which make no sense... Zelda in Soul Caliber and that green dude from star wars.

Link made perfect sense to me. It's Heihachi in the PS2 version of SoulCalibur that didn't. And personally, I think even Star Wars characters fit fine in SCIV (which other SC fans don't think so).

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 dobzilian

@nintendoboy16: It was the first one which came to mind with Link with characters crossing over. The Cosplay in Bayonetta 1 and 2 doesnt suite the game especially the Peach Cosplay where you summon Bowser but was enjoyable. I like cross overs and hope one day we will get "Capcom Vs Nintendo" Fighting game in the vein of Tats Vs Cap.