Does China's console 180 actually benefit MS the most?

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

incuensuocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By incuensuocha
Member since 2009 • 1514 Posts

Could the tortured historical relationship between China and Japan actually benefit Microsoft? I would like to hope that that wouldn't sway Chinese gamers to avoid Sony and Nintendo, but is it possible that the Chinese distrust and disdain for the Japanese will help sell more MS consoles?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I am somewhat unsure.

Most consumers buy the cheapest they can get, and Sony could just make a chinese subcontractor to release thier consoles under a different brand like Nintendo does, and they will likely not feel too much backlash, not to mention the political and private views rarely line up completely.

MS on the otherhand has the more expensive console which is less featurerich outside the US (even in Europe so close to home the X1 has much less to offer compared to the US).

My guess would be that we saw a fairly big increase in PC gaming first and foremost, given that it has been a gray area for so long (but not exactly open and welcome) it would be the easiest and cheapest to get into, closely followed by the cheapest console which releases games which culturally resonates with the populace.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

maybe they should highlight the past relations.

they can call the console the nankingdo.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

I think Microsoft probably will.

Microsoft does have a much larger foothold in china already from things like Windows and Office that everyone knows and uses.

I think the gaming market in China will look a lot different than here. First of all, everyone games on PC and mobile (with tons of piracy). There is a good chance adoption of consoles will be very low.

Second, There is a good chance that the Chinese government will cripple both consoles severely in terms of features. It wouldn't surprise me to see China as the only place in the world that the Xbox One launches without kinect becuase it would be much easier than trying to make it comply with Chinese law.

My guess is that Microsoft and Sony will push the 360/PS3 more in China more than they will the PS4 and Xbox One. I think to break into the Chinese market, they will want something cheaper and more available.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

The chinese are already accustomed to PC gaming. This console lift won't really change much for either side.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Given how little focus MS's marketing strategy seems to have on foreign markets, I kinda doubt it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

But who can afford them? If anything they'll probably play on PS2s until they learn to pirate them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

@lamprey263: You do know that CChina have an more middleclass people then the US right? China is NOT some piss poor country stuck in the dark ages, so yeah it IS a very big market.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#9  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Ever since consoles were banned there (now recently unbanned), China has become such a PC-centric market that it would be very difficult for any console manufacturer to crack it, whether Japanese (Sony/Nintendo) or American (Microsoft).

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ReadingRainbow4

also for those expecting China to actively oppose all JP products, I've got news for you. Visual Novels are already in circulation there and have been so for quite some time.

Granted, they're mostly all pirated. But there is a demand.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Anyone know why there was a console ban to begin with?

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

The chinese are already accustomed to PC gaming. This console lift won't really change much for either side.

Removing a ban for 1 billion people it will change something. It is a big deal. Sure PC gaming has a long tradition over there because of the console ban but it's still a huge market.

I don't think the most expensive console is going to be the most successful though. That and whichever is going to get hacked first.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lamprey263

@Maddie_Larkin said:

@lamprey263: You do know that CChina have an more middleclass people then the US right? China is NOT some piss poor country stuck in the dark ages, so yeah it IS a very big market.

that may be true but there's different factors in deeming some people middle class, income levels in China's middle class don't equate to those in US, and what kind of purchasing power that bracket brings might not also be the same, and gaming consoles tend to be more costly outside their primary target markets... still, sure, I guess it is to rush to judgement to deny the benefit of capturing the interests of a nation of over a billion, I've felt that way prior with India with regards to making Bollywood themed Dance Central games

but I guess I'm still off TC's main point, which was does the Xbox brand seem more attractive than the competing Japanese products... tough to say, though I do know there's a lot of bad blood there, especially with the large scale Nanking and Unit 731 denialism that's rampant in Japan, maybe that could indeed give MS an edge

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

@Maddie_Larkin said:

that may be true but there's different factors in deeming some people middle class, income levels in China's middle class don't equate to those in US, and what kind of purchasing power that bracket brings might not also be the same, and gaming consoles tend to be more costly outside their primary target markets... still, sure, I guess it is to rush to judgement to deny the benefit of capturing the interests of a nation of over a billion, I've felt that way prior with India with regards to making Bollywood themed Dance Central games

but I guess I'm still off TC's main point, which was does the Xbox brand seem more attractive than the competing Japanese products... tough to say, though I do know there's a lot of bad blood there, especially with the large scale Nanking and Unit 731 denialism that's rampant in Japan, maybe that could indeed give MS an edge

Their cost of living is way WAY less expensive than in the US. So, as far as disposable income is concerned, they are relatively similar.

There are more middle-class Chinese than the entire population of the United States, by the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

Did the Mexican and American war sway the Mexicans not to buy Xbox 360?

@edidili said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Removing a ban for 1 billion people it will change something. It is a big deal. Sure PC gaming has a long tradition over there because of the console ban but it's still a huge market.

I don't think the most expensive console is going to be the most successful though. That and whichever is going to get hacked first.

It won't change anything. Chinese just like the koreans prefer PC gaming. Too many lemmings are grasping onto this last hope.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@narutosup said:

It won't change anything. Chinese just like the koreans prefer PC gaming. Too many lemmings are grasping onto this last hope.

Not just lemmings no. Sony, MS and Nintendo think this is nothing else but good news. Yes I know they prefer PC gaming, because they had no other choice. Is way too big of a market to just ignore it.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

The Chinese have no problem with Japanese products, in fact they would often prefer foreign products for quality/status.

However, I highly doubt that people there would buy consoles due to the domination of PC gaming. Those who do won't buy software either due to heavy piracy,

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

They may buy the hardware, but good luck seeing a single legitimate copy of console software being sold in China.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

@incuensuocha: No, people are over that.

Xbone will come off as too American for China.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

@edidili said:

@narutosup said:

Not just lemmings no. Sony, MS and Nintendo think this is nothing else but good news. Yes I know they prefer PC gaming, because they had no other choice. Is way too big of a market to just ignore it.

Um no? Ps3, 360, and wii is available in every small gaming store in china. The Chinese chose to go with pc gaming, because it's a better gaming platform to them. The console ban wasn't even enforce, i just found out last week that console was ban in china, I lived in China in 2011 and seen ps3, 360 and wii being sold in small gaming store.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

@Telekill: while not sure it is the only reason, or even IS a reason onto itself, the ban often got cited for being to "protect the Young minds from being distracted from the important Things in life" (a nice way to say that youths Waste their life on games) or something along those lines.

I am fairly sure that it had Little real reson to why it got banned, although we have seenexamples of far Eastern being way too absorbed in a game the later years.

My guess is that the original excuse was to create a closed walled garden in China (given how chinese games were ok to play for some arbitraty reason despite the "games are bad" comments the Chinese goverment threw out Again and Again.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@incuensuocha said:

Could the tortured historical relationship between China and Japan actually benefit Microsoft? I would like to hope that that wouldn't sway Chinese gamers to avoid Sony and Nintendo, but is it possible that the Chinese distrust and disdain for the Japanese will help sell more MS consoles?

Both consoles are Chinese so i don't think they will care much,the only Japanese part about the PS4 is the Sony name,same with the xbox one.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@dbtbandit67 said:

@incuensuocha: No, people are over that.

Xbone will come off as too American for China.

I wouldn't go that far, either. For instance, Chevrolet is the fastest selling brand of car in China.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

@tormentos said:

@incuensuocha said:

Both consoles are Chinese so i don't think they will care much,the only Japanese part about the PS4 is the Sony name,same with the xbox one.

For every Game console sold, China economy becomes stronger.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@Telekill: If i had to take a crack at it... it was probably so people won't invest money on foreign electronics and i did read once that china was launching it's own gaming console.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

no. lol.

There isn't a single SEA territory that Microsoft's consoles outperform Sony consoles. China certainly won't be an exception given the console's higher price. Not to mention many of the primary features (voice chat, tv control) won't be available for use in these regions anytime soon.

Funny thread is funny. Then again, most SW threads are poorly thought out.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ReadingRainbow4

@FoxbatAlpha said:

This could be great for MS. Those little bastards could buy up 9 million consoles in the first 24 hours and make the current sales record look like a warm up lap.

wow.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@Telekill: Chinese officials were worried about violent content and the potential for moral decay. http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/08/technology/china-video-games/

The lift of the ban is great news, but expect the government to censor or ban games for violence/sexual content, anything that promotes democracy or that they consider a threat to national security.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

With the recent article about China imposing laws on "hostile" games, I think Nintendo might be best off in the market, depending on how stict they are with the term "hostile". A lot of shooters could end up being banned in China, where as NIntendo's family friendly IP's will make it safely through the door. Also, the Chinese population is on the poor side, so given that Nintendo has the cheapest console, this will also be beneficial.

In the end, I think it's simply who has the balls to really push into the Chinese market and advertise.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

China is not the biggest fan of the US either. So saying MS will do better due to the fact they don't like Japan does not fly with me. Also the xbox one is 500 bucks thats way to much for the Chinese market. Most people play cheap games or pirate everything in China. Also as far as i know the ban is only for certain areas in China like shanghais economic zone not the entire nation.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Were handhelds under the ban as well? Because if anything, I would see the handheld market (3DS/Vita) taking off much faster than say the consoles.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Jacobistheman said:

Microsoft does have a much larger foothold in china already from things like Windows and Office that everyone knows and uses.

I think the gaming market in China will look a lot different than here. First of all, everyone games on PC and mobile (with tons of piracy). There is a good chance adoption of consoles will be very low.

Second, There is a good chance that the Chinese government will cripple both consoles severely in terms of features. It wouldn't surprise me to see China as the only place in the world that the Xbox One launches without kinect becuase it would be much easier than trying to make it comply with Chinese law.

My guess is that Microsoft and Sony will push the 360/PS3 more in China more than they will the PS4 and Xbox One. I think to break into the Chinese market, they will want something cheaper and more available.

You know employees aren't paid very much in China...right? Cost matters.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

check it out guys

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2013-11/13/content_17101307.htm

"Shanghai is tops in urban disposable income among 31 provinces on the Chinese mainlandwith 40,188 yuan ($6,550) a year, research shows."

6 and a half grand of disposable income per year. per month this is a ps4 or xbox one every month. if i were microsoft or sony i would be willing to take a bigger loss on each console sold in china in order to aggressively get market penetration.

i would pay attention to the chinese market.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Do you really think even if they did sell the consoles that the online part would even work?

The great firewall will totally break the online portion of the consoles, unless one of the companies sets their server up in China. Also what types of games do the Chinese like? They might prefer the Japanese titles.

But whats stopping a Chinese console coming out? There might even be another player entering the market by the time next next next gen comes along :).

kunal_anand50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 kunal_anand50
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts

Actually, there won't be much of a difference. The last gen consoles were readily available there throughout the gen and that too in abundance in grey markets. If anyone wanted a ps3 or xbox 360 or wii, one could easily get it. Its not like they have been aloof to the console gaming due to the ban,

kunal_anand50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kunal_anand50

@lamprey263 said:

@Maddie_Larkin said:

That won't work. Not at all. I am an indian gamer and live in india. Trust me on this. India has a very small gaming community as compared to the likes of europe and usa but it is a dedicated and hardcore community. Its not like the community is aloof and doesn't know a shit about gaming and a bollywood game comes and they would lap it up. There won't be a demand for such kind of game at all.

The gaming community is small in india but its smart, dedicated and hardcore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

@CrownKingArthur said:

check it out guys

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2013-11/13/content_17101307.htm

"Shanghai is tops in urban disposable income among 31 provinces on the Chinese mainlandwith 40,188 yuan ($6,550) a year, research shows."

6 and a half grand of disposable income per year. per month this is a ps4 or xbox one every month. if i were microsoft or sony i would be willing to take a bigger loss on each console sold in china in order to aggressively get market penetration.

i would pay attention to the chinese market.

Microsoft might as well take a big loss on each console sold in Japan. While they're at it. They along with Nintendo and Sony should also try to penetrate the South Korean Market. I heard the South Koreans had no choice but to game on PC, because the North Korean leader kim jung un threaten to nuke South Korea if they support non-korea product.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lamprey263

@kunal_anand50 said:

@lamprey263 said:

@Maddie_Larkin said:

That won't work. Not at all. I am an indian gamer and live in india. Trust me on this. India has a very small gaming community as compared to the likes of europe and usa but it is a dedicated and hardcore community. Its not like the community is aloof and doesn't know a shit about gaming and a bollywood game comes and they would lap it up. There won't be a demand for such kind of game at all.

Well, I was the one that wanted the Bollywood themed Dance Central game :( I just use the justification of India's population as an excuse to get it made, and I consider myself hardcore gamer, but I also love casual games as well, I don't let the label limit my enjoyment of different types of games, dance games are fun despite people thinking they're casual shovelware.

But I can accept the community of self describing hardcore gamers wouldn't touch this, but do you also not think such "casual" kind of games have an ability to grow within the Indian market by creating a casual gaming crowd?

kunal_anand50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kunal_anand50

@lamprey263 said:

@kunal_anand50 said:

@lamprey263 said:

@Maddie_Larkin said:

Well, I was the one that wanted the Bollywood themed Dance Central game :( I just use the justification of India's population as an excuse to get it made, and I consider myself hardcore gamer, but I also love casual games as well, I don't let the label limit my enjoyment of different types of games, dance games are fun despite people thinking they're casual shovelware.

But I can accept the community of self describing hardcore gamers wouldn't touch this, but do you also not think such "casual" kind of games have an ability to grow within the Indian market by creating a casual gaming crowd?

Its not purely about casual and hardcore gaming. This kind of game may garner some new gamers in india but that would depend of the publicity that they put in and the amount of hype they would create for it.

What i am saying is that in order for such kind of a game to succeed, they would need to create a new gaming market as the present one won't really take this game whole heart-idly. Its not that they think of themselves as elite gamers or anything like that, its just that this kind of a game has not really been successful and i don't see the demand for it among the current gamers here. Ps3 is the most popular console here from last gen if you talk about legit ones and not modded ones and ps4 gonna be the one for this gen as well. Kinect hasn't really caught among the community here that much so i doubt the demand would be there among the current lot of gamers.

Diego_921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Diego_921
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

alot of chinese people have tiny houses so they won't even be able to use kinect because they won't have enough room

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@Maddie_Larkin said:

some american readers just commit suicide after reading your post

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@narutosup: yes south korea, i agree with you there. very good points mate.

as for north/south korea im not sure. starcraft was made by blizzard, an american company.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Jacobistheman said:

You know employees aren't paid very much in China...right? Cost matters.

I am guessing that you didn't read my whole post.

"My guess is that Microsoft and Sony will push the 360/PS3 more in China more than they will the PS4 and Xbox One. I think to break into the Chinese market, they will want something cheaper and more available."

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

Definitely - I was in china recently and there was an ongoing dispute regarding china and japan over some islands off the coast of china. At one stage a massive mob of chinese went through the highway flipping any japanese made cars (mitsubishis ect,) and bashing the panels up. It was crazy. That being said i did see a few sony stores.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

I don't see that being a good market for MSFt. It'll be good for Sony and Nintendo, but the One is too feature poor for that market for it's asking price.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

If anything, I could see USA and China becoming arch enemies when World War 3 eventually happens.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Imagine asking people living under an authoritarian government to buy a console that has an always-on always-listening camera to be put in their living rooms. Yeah, nah.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

Yes Chinese love to pay for MS product.