Does anyone actually beleive the Kinect is something beside a gimmick?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll Does anyone actually beleive the Kinect is something beside a gimmick? (65 votes)

Kinect is the best thing that has ever happened to gaming 3%
Kinect is the future but developers haven't learned to use it 20%
Kinect is a gimmick 65%
Other 12%

I seriously don't understand why Microsoft keeps supporting Kinect

• 
tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

Its got awesome features, currently used in exercise and dance games. But the future is bright once the developers get into it.

80% hit rate on voice recognition is a good start and will only get better with updates.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

It's an impressive and (imo) genuinely cool piece of tech... but pretty useless for gaming.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

many did believe in it before the launch and I kept asking them, "how on earth you envisage this is a good product, give me a scenario where this product is helpful to gaming?" They replied with all manner of crazy features that they themselves would've not used and hate if forced to do in a game.

Till now nobody, from the people that defend this stupid product, have an answer as to what is Kinect 2.0 potential in gaming and why it's important to have as a practical add-on for gaming.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@tdkmillsy: 80% is terrible given what and how it's used.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I don't think its a gimmick once the developers get to grips with it I feel it could be pretty good.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Kinect is for showing Microsoft our a.. because that's what they deserve to see. It's for spying only period.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@locopatho said:

It's an impressive and (imo) genuinely cool piece of tech... but pretty useless for gaming.

Agreed.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

everything down to the powercord is a gimmick in SW

hamster3_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hamster3_3
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

The only thing I use it for is to pause and play movies. Instead of waiting for the controller to turn back on I can say "Xbox pause" as I'm walking out the room.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

Crytek remove Kinect from Ryse because it was stupid as ****. Motion sensor gaming is dumb. I'm so glad Nintendo abandon that gimmicky market.

jeffmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jeffmonster
Member since 2003 • 511 Posts

For me.......kinect is easily worth the extra $100 for exercise games alone. As far as other games......not so much

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I voted other. It is, like most things all up to you. I enjoyed the Gunstringer, and Child of Eden with my nephew so I saw the use for those games. I also enjoyed the voice commands in ME3. And voice commands for my 360, so for me, and that really is the only person anyone can speak for (themselves) it has some cool uses.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Developers really haven't been able to produce any incredible games with it. Games like Dance Central, Kinectimals, Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventure and GunStringer were all good games. There's nothing that speaks GREAT or "AAAE" yet. Kinect still has great potential. Devs just need to figure out how to implement it into a game. It's excellent for reading the Redeem Codes. Works well navigating the UI once you get used to it. Microsoft needs to do a LOT more with it to justify the $100 price.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Kinect is little more than a gimmick, which people bought into all over again hilariously...

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

@locopatho said:

Pretty much my feelings on it and they will stay that way until proved otherwise.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Cell phones started out as a gimmick, DVR's, Siri, pretty much anything that wasn't the norm and made people change their way of thinking was a gimmick. Some catch on some don't, Wii did...

Kinect has a lot of useful features whether any pan out for gaming has yet to been seen, but with out Kinect how are we suppose to move forward making the world more and more like Minority Report, LOL

dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

At least Kinect is unique. Sorry it's not as good as the Playstation move.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Because Kinect has a lot of potential. But the tech might not be fully there yet (dunno havent tried Kinect 2.0 yet).

Voice commands could be of big help to help compensate for lack of buttons, and I would love playing Mount&Blade, issuing orders to my soldiers with the voiced commands, which would be a lot more convenient than the menus you use now.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

It can enhance the experience with the system, although its use with gaming is questionable. Although things like having it automatically sign you into your profile, know which individual is holding the controller and voice navigation could be pretty useful.

I guess we shall see, Microsoft will need to prove Kinect this time, as the original Kinect I think most will agree didn't come close to living up to the initial unveiling. With it being bundled with every console they have a lot to prove.

hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

@xxyetixx said:

Cell phones started out as a gimmick, DVR's, Siri, pretty much anything that wasn't the norm and made people change their way of thinking was a gimmick. Some catch on some don't, Wii did...

Kinect has a lot of useful features whether any pan out for gaming has yet to been seen, but with out Kinect how are we suppose to move forward making the world more and more like Minority Report, LOL

Siri is the definition of gimmick

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

It's a gimmick with potential that's unrealized

as a gaming accessory it's really only good for dance games, but damn are dance games fun, and one Kinect will last you the generation, better than say the extra money people wasted on every new Rock Band or Guitar Hero

for system features I guess it's okay, my friend used his on the Xbox 360 to navigate menus to watch Hulu and Netflix and bring up programming, as he had his hands busy loading his bong or cooking/eating dinner or he'd be on the sofa playing with his cats, but I think the ability to say "Xbox record that" mid game is a great feature, especially since it can include a recording of the player to go with the gameplay if the person wants when they use the systems quick edit features

anyhow, Sony must think it's something because they're copying it

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@blackace said:

Developers really haven't been able to produce any incredible games with it. Games like Dance Central, Kinectimals, Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventure and GunStringer were all good games. There's nothing that speaks GREAT or "AAAE" yet. Kinect still has great potential. Devs just need to figure out how to implement it into a game. It's excellent for reading the Redeem Codes. Works well navigating the UI once you get used to it. Microsoft needs to do a LOT more with it to justify the $100 price.

You know lems are desperate when they're using kinectimals to defend their system. LOL

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Anything that I dislike is a gimmick.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

Yeah actually it is more than just a gimmick, it's a spy tool for the NSA.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

I would kill for a better way to play shooters on a console. Until then biggest waste of money and pointless gimmick.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tdkmillsy

80% voice recognition is an average.

In the correct scenario its 100%, which is most of the time for me. But it don't get my 7 year old daughter very much, so I gave it less.

As for PS4 eye working 100% of the time, that's tosh. I played battlefield 4 this afternoon with sound really loud, simply spoke snap tv and it did it flawlessly. The PS4 equivalent is no comparison. Basic commands that work if the room is quiet.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tdkmillsy

@Mystery_Writer said:

many did believe in it before the launch and I kept asking them, "how on earth you envisage this is a good product, give me a scenario where this product is helpful to gaming?" They replied with all manner of crazy features that they themselves would've not used and hate if forced to do in a game.

Till now nobody, from the people that defend this stupid product, have an answer as to what is Kinect 2.0 potential in gaming and why it's important to have as a practical add-on for gaming.

Kinect is perfect for

Fitness applications (or games if you want to call them that)

Dance Games, the way it tracks you when you dance round the room in Ghostbusters on just dance is amazing

Casual games designed to use the Kinect such as the new Kinect sports (forgot what its called)

All of these are games even if they are not your cup of tea

Kinect improves games when used correctly, examples are

Pushing zombies off you (nice touch)

Head tracking

Body scanning to put you in the game

Voice commands

tracking controllers when moved between people

Reacting to your reactions, such as if you jumped in a scary game

loads of other stuff.

Kinect improves other areas such as

Auto sign in

Combine auto sign in with displaying stuff that's only appropriate to people in the room (remove 18 stuff when kids are there)

Voice commands in GUI (snap tv is the most used for me)

But I have a feeling I'm wasting my time trying to explain.

greensand24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By greensand24
Member since 2011 • 457 Posts

I voted option 2. But part of that is because the tech to really make it work properly still isn't their.

At least in terms of voice it's still hit and miss which is not good enough because all it's going to do is frustrate the player.

Now I will say this... If what I experienced with the kinect sports rival demo is any indication of what to expect than the future is looking better.

That was the most accurate the kinect has been since release.

So yes the future is bright but I'm losing my patience and feel that I've been part of kinect beta since 2010.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Kinect can never be used as a core gameplay mechanic in a way that makes sense and does not feel forced. Except maybe 50yrs in the future where we all have holodecks and games have evolved into virtual soround reality or something but i would imagine by then, it would not be called video games anymore

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Kinect 2.0 is fantastic. I dont know how else to describe my experiences but I would be seriously nit picking to pick fault in it thus far. Happy to answer any questions any body has.

Im aware Kinect hasnt yet become a core gameplay mechanic but its been packed into every X1 for a reason. Browsing the OS is an absolute joy with voice commands. I was hesitant about kinect being a gimmick ... but its actually really liberating to operate the console without using my hands. It feels next gen to me.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Gimmick. Useless for gaming.

Leave the evolutionary tech to PC.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tdkmillsy

@megaspiderweb09 said:

Kinect can never be used as a core gameplay mechanic in a way that makes sense and does not feel forced. Except maybe 50yrs in the future where we all have holodecks and games have evolved into virtual soround reality or something but i would imagine by then, it would not be called video games anymore

Its the core mechanic of xbox fitness, Just Dance and Kinect Rivals and its far from forced, in fact it plays very well.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

@tdkmillsy: Great, lets all play those games then cause you would pretend you did not get what i was trying to say. Try playing TitanFall with Kinect

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@locopatho said:

Yup for gaming its garbage and always will be. Kinect(lol)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I think Kinect 4-5 will be pretty good for gaming (finally). The technology today just isn't there. I don't believe it will ever replace the more efficient control methods we have today, but probably enhance select aspects of some gaming.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The things I've seen some indie technologists do with it have me very intrigued about the future of interaction with electronics. It's a technology way ahead of its time.

Avatar image for Silent-Assasin7
Silent-Assasin7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Silent-Assasin7
Member since 2006 • 1496 Posts

What I find interesting is its ability to emulate the motion sensing functions of the six axis and Wii U gamepad. Like in DR3, you'll have to tilt the controller to knock zombies off. The XBO controller obviously doesn't have motion sensing, but, the Kinect sees you turn the controller and reacts accordingly. So the Kinect not only has voice and gesture controls, but, it can be used in place of motion sensing as well.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#40  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts
@SolidTy said:

I think Kinect 4-5 will be pretty good for gaming (

finally

). The technology today just isn't there. I don't believe it will ever replace the more efficient control methods we have today, but probably enhance select aspects of some gaming.

This ^

@megaspiderweb09 said:

This ^

@megaspiderweb09 said:

@tdkmillsy: Great, lets all play those games then cause you would pretend you did not get what i was trying to say. Try playing TitanFall with Kinect

^and this

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#41 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58943 Posts

My friend, you seem to be under the impression publishers give a **** about anything besides making money.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

Xboners like it.