Does All This Retro/Nostalgia BS Bother Anyone?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for black_chamber99
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_chamber99
Member since 2010 • 1696 Posts

Anyone else bothered by all these devs looking to the past instead of the future? with megaman 97 or whatever its at now, the new sonic, scott pilgrim, bionic commando, new goldeneye, etc. I mean Nintendo has been pulling the nostalgia card for years now, but now it seems like other companies are picking up on it and taking advantage of gamer's nostalgia. is this the new fad? Sonic team imo is the worst offender of this. Sales for sonic has been on a downslide with each new release, and instead of using their rescources to create a great 3d sonic game, they look to the past and create something that's already been done in the early 90's. cost-effective because they know old-school sonic fans will eat it up

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

of course its all about the $$$ what else would it be about... trousers?

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Well if it is a new IP that is inspired by Retro games I'm ok with. I'm even ok with developers using franchises that have been around that long to make a game that is retro inspired but only if it is an anniversary for that series like a 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 year anniversary.

I also think if it has Nostalgia but isn't harming the advancement of the genre that is great aswell.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
only if the game relies entirely on nostalgia to and throws gameplay out the window, what do you consider a retro/nostalgia game anyways?
lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts

I love Nostalgia as long as the remakes are not:

-Too expensive

-The original is turned in to a piece of ****

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
It bothers me alot, thats why i havent bought nintendo hardware since my gameboy advance.
CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

- all businesses exist for the expres purpose of making money

- if this bothers you, you need thicker skin

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
It has been done, yeah maybe. But a lot of "new" games we get have been done before... You mention Nintendo, but it's Nintendo who still has a lot of the big classic franchises. I don't mind, and especially if it's a WiiWare/XBLA/PSN game.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

Way I see it, if a nostalgia made game holds my attention more than a new game then it's not BS in my book. It just sheds the unwanted stuff I hate in today's gaming age.

Avatar image for Cerberus_Legion
Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Cerberus_Legion
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

And I suppose all new IPs are amazing? As long as the games are good, I don't really see the problem.

PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 PA_DUTCH
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

I like a lot of the old 2D gameplay and a lot of the old IPs. Muramasa demon blade was a great new 2D game and I'm superpsyced for the new metroid! Why does it other you? any more than say another halo game coming out?

Avatar image for black_chamber99
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 black_chamber99
Member since 2010 • 1696 Posts

I like a lot of the old 2D gameplay and a lot of the old IPs. Muramasa demon blade was a great new 2D game and I'm superpsyced for the new metroid! Why does it other you? any more than say another halo game coming out?

PA_DUTCH

its looking backwards instead of forward

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
You have to understand PSN/Xbox arcade games are a new genre this gen. The best kind of ways that devs can support such small scale games is to revive or replicate old retro games. The main reason is because they are the perfect size, perfect length and demand just the right amount of dev time to be priced at 15 dollars or below. Retro games hit an already established fanbase, fits in with DD and cost less to produce. Why wouldn't devs do it. As a gamer, I love it. I prefer sequels over HD versions of the original because most of the originals I have but in the end I am not much a fan of DD and without the disk option will opt out of these games.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Its couldn't care less seriously read it out loud and think about what you are saying...

Retro/Nostalgia isn't BS, even new IP's have little easter eggs and references to older games/films/music that inspired them, as long as it isn't a complete rehash its fine. I think a lot of the issue here is many of you aren't old enough to remember this gaming heritage, insulting it just makes you look bad though (eg. Half Life bashing, you bashers have no concept how much the first game did for SP shooters).

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
God no, I love the old cIassic games.
PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PA_DUTCH
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

I think there is room enough for the Retro/Nostalgia BS and some new innovative games like say patapon or flower. Man like a revap of the old NBA Jams, how cool is that gonna be. I was ticked when they did not release bionic commando rearmed for the psp or wii? I'm sure it was better than the new one LOL

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Everything in Moderation.. :o :P

Giving the old games a HD face lift and on & off line features like co-op and more has been a great move for this gen gaming - I'm liking it.

aliasfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aliasfreak
Member since 2004 • 2878 Posts

And I suppose all new IPs are amazing? As long as the games are good, I don't really see the problem.

Cerberus_Legion

Yep, pretty much this. And it is "couldn't care less". Why is that so hardto figure outfor people?

aliasfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aliasfreak
Member since 2004 • 2878 Posts

Its couldn't care less seriously read it out loud and think about what you are saying...

Retro/Nostalgia isn't BS, even new IP's have little easter eggs and references to older games/films/music that inspired them, as long as it isn't a complete rehash its fine. I think a lot of the issue here is many of you aren't old enough to remember this gaming heritage, insulting it just makes you look bad though (eg. Half Life bashing, you bashers have no concept how much the first game did for SP shooters).

SapSacPrime

Thank you, it's good to see other people point out the "couldn't" thing. You wouldn't think that it would be that hard to figure out.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i dont hate older games i just hate when people idolize them..for example...Goldeneye..yes at the time it was one of the most fun multiplayer games to play...but times have changed..the controls are god awful and there are far more better games with better controls...and lets face it people..controls make or break a game... Timesplitters > Goldeneye.. and then there are games from the snes era like 2d side scrollers like mario and donkey kong these games have a right to be in competition with games from today merely from the fact that the controls are pretty much the same... x = jump , hold square to spring..BINGO!
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
It would be a problem if these games weren't good. But they are. Shock-horror.