Do you want a Sony monopoly on gaming?

• 150 results
Edited 5 months, 20 days ago

Poll: Do you want a Sony monopoly on gaming? (137 votes)

Yes 18%
No 82%

I'm just curious: the way Sony fans, more than any other other fan group, talks, it appears as if they actually want a Sony monopoly on video gaming- all forms and facets of video gaming.

Is this right? Do you all actually love Sony so much that you want a monopoly? Sounds to me like you care more about PlayStation than gaming if that is the case.

#1 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3527 posts) -

This seems like trollbait but I'll tell you as a cow no I do not want any monopoly from any company competition is good for all companies and keeps a diversity, you should as the same question to lems

#2 Posted by Desmonic (13378 posts) -

All of the NO to that. Monopolies are never good IMO.

#3 Posted by Sweenix (5397 posts) -

I would love a sony monopoly game

Although an accurate version would be everyone selling buildings and everyone being bankrupt

#4 Posted by -CC- (1889 posts) -

"the way Sony fans, more than any other other fan group"

bwahahaha

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -
@Sweenix said:

Although an accurate version would be everyone selling buildings and everyone being bankrupt

Not if you have a Vita token as your piece though xD

#VitaMeansLife

#6 Posted by mems_1224 (46485 posts) -

God no, that would be awful. There would be no more innovation if that happened.

#7 Edited by Sweenix (5397 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

Not if you have a Vita token as your piece though xD

#VitaMeansLife

The Vita will single handily save sony

Their will even be a ps vita shrine in front of every shopping center to remember the day and to remind the public on what 1 single device.. With alot of heart and determination can do

It never gave up, NOT ONCE!!

#8 Edited by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

Even if people wanted this it wouldn't happen. MS and Nintendo will keep producing games. All there will be would be one(possibly two) company(ies) doing a lot better than others in the gaming departments.

#9 Posted by bbkkristian (14940 posts) -

Hell no, monopolies are bad for any industry. You see Sony's BS memory card prices? Imagine that applied to your SKUs and digital software.

#10 Posted by Animal-Mother (26528 posts) -

Hell no, monopolies are bad for any industry. You see Sony's BS memory card prices? Imagine that applied to your SKUs and digital software.

#11 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7174 posts) -

Monopolies are bad, mmkay.

#12 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26258 posts) -

Oh, hell no! Hell, it's better that even Nintendo stays away from a monopoly.

#13 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

God no, that would be awful. There would be no more innovation if that happened.

That's why we need to keep Nintendo around.

#14 Posted by lostrib (34236 posts) -

No thanks

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

Of course it is- if I had to have a monopoly in gaming, I'd go with a Sony led one. A Nintendo led monopoly would be a fucking disaster for everyone involved. Nintendo would probably find a way to milk everyone with the same products over and over and then somehow go bankrupt, even as a monopoly.

#16 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

It would be awesome if all three joined, and made one super cool system.

#17 Posted by Gue1 (9491 posts) -

PS1 and PS2 days were the best of gaming. Now with competition it only has become worse.

#18 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7174 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Of course it is- if I had to have a monopoly in gaming, I'd go with a Sony led one. A Nintendo led monopoly would be a fucking disaster for everyone involved. Nintendo would probably find a way to milk everyone with the same products over and over and then somehow go bankrupt, even as a monopoly.

We already got a glimpse of what a Nintendo monopoly could potentially look like in the NES era. Sure, they didn't have a true monopoly at the time, but they had some really harsh policies for 3rd party developers.

#19 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

It would be awesome if all three joined, and made one super cool system.

That's called colluding, and it's illegal as fuck all around the world.

@Gue1 said:

PS1 and PS2 days were the best of gaming. Now with competition it only has become worse.

Ah, there we go, I was waiting for you. And Damien. And people like you.

#20 Posted by santoron (7690 posts) -

Oh lord. This again." Teh (insert their platform here) fanboys are all meanies and way worser than (insert your platform here) fanboys who are just having some fun!"

Quit playing fanboy wars.... (Inb4thelock?)

#21 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16294 posts) -

Even if Playstation were the only console left, people would still have many other ways of gaming like PC, handhelds or mobiles.

So there could never be a monopoly.

#22 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7174 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Now with competition it only has become worse.

The first part, sure, but you fell apart right here. That makes no sense at all.

#23 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@charizard1605: your point? All I'm saying is that it would be awesome if all of them joined to make a system.

#24 Edited by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Now with competition it only has become worse.

The first part, sure, but you fell apart right here. That makes no sense at all.

The first part is wrong as well, and fueled only with nostalgia

@charizard1605: your point? All I'm saying is that it would be awesome if all of them joined to make a system.

I don't know how... either all three would cancel each other out leading to stangancy or we'd be at the mercy of corporate beaurucracy with no alternative to turn to.

#25 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6955 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

I agree. Those gens brought us fantastic gems like Mario 64, Halo: Combat Evolved, Ninja Gaiden Black, Perfect Dark, Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Goldeneye, Smash Bros, Conker, KOTOR, Half Life, and Morrowind. Now that we have competition, gaming just sucks.

#26 Posted by evildead6789 (7419 posts) -

after facebook bought oculus,

maybe I would

#27 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6883 posts) -

Of course. Sony is the company by gamers, for gamers.

#28 Edited by GamingGod999 (2952 posts) -

Well, *if* it was the case where there could only be one dominant company within the video game industry, then yeah, Sony all the way.

However, that would only be the case if Sony maintained its high quality in software and hardware - unlikely for monopolies as there isn't competition to push for innovation/efficiency/etc.

#29 Posted by RossRichard (2332 posts) -

I don't want a Sony monopoly. I just want Microsoft to quit trying to force DRM and digital on us.

#30 Edited by GamingGod999 (2952 posts) -

Oh yeah, monopolies would just result in consumer exploitation. F*ck that.

#31 Posted by Suppaman100 (3760 posts) -

Would be better than a MS or Nintendo monopoly.

#32 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

HELL to the NO

#33 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

This does not answer my question. Do you want a Sony monopoly?

#34 Posted by freedomfreak (39059 posts) -

God, no.

#35 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

I don't want a monopoly of anything, anywhere, ever. Monopolies are bad. History has proven time and time again that a monopoly stifles progression and causes the monopoly to become complacent. Competition is good.

#36 Posted by Twizded (97 posts) -

I'm curious if TC is for real, or really pissed off?

#37 Posted by mems_1224 (46485 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

lol no they weren't. well, maybe if you are a baby and that was your first console.

#38 Posted by Heil68 (43397 posts) -

Since SONY has decided to focus on us gamers, it wouldn't be bad, but we need MS and Nintendo to cater to the casual market and leave SONY in charge of pushing the industry forward.

#39 Edited by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@twizded said:

I'm curious if TC is for real, or really pissed off?

I'm not sure how you are getting any sense of me being mad from my post. It's a genuine question aimed at everyone, especially since currently, a Sony monopoly seems more likely than a Microsoft or a Nintendo monopoly.

#40 Posted by Suppaman100 (3760 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

If we're talking about the old Sony with PS1 and PS2 dominating then yes definitely. They were the best in every aspect.

But too much happened in the mean time and things changed. For example thanks to the bad influence of MS, PS copied the "Xbox live rip-off" crap.

So no.

#41 Edited by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

If we're talking about the old Sony with PS1 and PS2 dominating then yes definitely. They were the best in every aspect.

But too much happened in the mean time and things changed. For example thanks to the bad influence of MS, PS copied the "Xbox live rip-off" crap.

So no.

Alright, that is a fair answer, thank you.

#42 Posted by Krelian-co (10356 posts) -

no monopoly is good, then again, is not sony's fault if the alternative to their gaming console is crap.

#43 Posted by Telekill (4389 posts) -

I voted yes just to piss you off, but no, there shouldn't be any company that has a monopoly on any industry.

I just don't want Microsoft to succeed anymore. I'm sick of their crap.

#44 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4695 posts) -

If one of the big 3 just had to monopolize I would pick Sony.

But no, as long as consoles are around I want there to be competition.

#45 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

no monopoly is good, then again, is not sony's fault if the alternative to their gaming console is crap.

Sure, natural monopolies often arise- if Nintendo and Microsoft can't get their heads out of their asses, then Sony achieved that monopoly, at least for that console generational cycle.

@Telekill said:

I voted yes just to piss you off, but no, there shouldn't be any company that has a monopoly on any industry.

I am curious as to why you think so, especially given all of Microsoft's contributions to gaming within the last decade.

#46 Posted by Suppaman100 (3760 posts) -

@Telekill said:

I am curious as to why you think so, especially given all of Microsoft's contributions to gaming within the last decade.

#47 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Telekill said:

Unified online services, achievements, digital distribution, modern development environments for game developers, easy to develop console hardware- these are all positive contributions Microsoft has made to gaming within the last decade.

#48 Edited by Telekill (4389 posts) -

@charizard1605:

The one contribution I'll give them is a great template for playing with friends online. Pretty much everything else they've done I really don't hold
with a grain of salt or it's usually a detriment to the industry. I could give you a dozen examples but it's a horse that was hit by a semi and then
beaten to a pulp by hundreds of others on this very same forum. No need to go into it again.

#49 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@Telekill said:

@charizard1605:

The one contribution I'll give them is a great template for playing with friends online. Pretty much everything else they've done I really don't hold

with a grain of salt or it's usually a detriment to the industry. I could give you a dozen examples but it's a horse that was hit by a semi and then

beaten to a pulp by hundreds of others on this very same forum. No need to go into it again.

This is true for all contributions by any company.

#50 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4695 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Telekill said:

Unified online services, achievements, digital distribution, modern development environments for game developers, easy to develop console hardware- these are all positive contributions Microsoft has made to gaming within the last decade.

Might I add that without MS, Playstation brand wouldn't be nearly as great as it is now.